• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EXCLUSIVE - PS5 Pro in Development, Could Release Late 2024

Elios83

Now that the shortages are over I don't see why not.
2023 would have been too soon given how long the cross gen phase has lasted.
But end of 2024 seems fine.

There will always be 10-20 million core gamers always looking to have the best hardware possible.
We all know the ray tracing performance of RDNA2 is poor, in consoles it only allows for a really basic implementation.
A Pro system with 3-4x the ray tracing performance of PS5 and the ability to run current resolution modes at 60fps would be cool.

I also don't see the fact that this time there isn't a transition to 4k as a negative, on the contrary, many people skipped PS4 Pro because there was no real benefit in upgrading unless you changed your TV. If benefits can be enjoyed by everyone it is just a positive.

General note: It seems like only Tom Henderson is always talking about hardware related stuff like PS5 Slim, PS5 Pro, PS6...a few months ago he was sure there wouldn't be a Pro, now he's changing position.
The fact these rumors are not corroborated by other sources should definetly suggest to take all this stuff with caution.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Will we see the ps5 being even remotely utilised by the time the pro arrives or will all that marketing be for nothing?

Still, I'm deffo day one....I just hope I can sell on my ps5 for a decent chunk of the investment.

Aenima

Im good with my base PS5 untill next gen thanks.

Dont buying this rumor though. A pro model would give you the most diminishing returns ever, while costing Sony more money as they sell hardware at a loss or barely breaking even. Not to mention we are 2 years into a new gen where the majority of games are still cross gen with PS4.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

It's bollocks I'm sure.

For a 2024 release of a PS5 Pro, it would mean Sony was designing this thing at a time when the semi-conductor industry was suffering severe component scarcity and they didn't even know that they'd be able to get enough components for the base PS5 to meet the demand.... yeah, right!

The past 2 yrs of supply chain chaos have all but killed any plans for a PS5 Pro or XSX1X.

They have a really, really, really sketchy R&D department if component availability and general unit availability shifted internal development by even a week. They'd be working with prototypes only and should have begun work on whatever the next PS is before the PS5 even released.

GHG

Don't forget to keep your sodium levels in check boys

As you can see, some people are already in full meltdown mode over a rumour, already begging people not to buy it.

germans-storm-stores-for-playstation-4-and-leave-xbox-one-sad-and-lonely

SenaxxNL

Exclusive rumor with no real evidence. But most useless upgrade there is for me. Except for some Spiderman, GoW and HZD my PS5 is collecting dust.

Stuart360

This is a good thing imo, for the enthusiast console gamers that want the best.
I have a feeling that when UE5 games start flowing consistantly, a lot of devs will target 30fps on PS5, or if they target 60fps it will be like 60fps at 1080p, etc.
And of course RT performance will be a big jump over PS5.

At the end of the day you dont have to buy one if you dont want to, so i dont see the problem.

Rea

Why would they release Pro version which could cost them billions to develop while keeping at 499 price point? They don't even earn profits from hardware sales anyway. The demand for Base Ps5 is still sky high. Makes no sense at business point of view.

it doesnt even make sense GIF by Slice

EN250

How many games are pushing the PS5 to its limits when we had the pandemic that made every multiplatform game cross gen?
Exclusive games are the only hope and those don't show frenquetly either, so what's the point of a pro version?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
They have a really, really, really sketchy R&D department if component availability and general unit availability shifted internal development by even a week. They'd be working with prototypes only and should have begun work on whatever the next PS is before the PS5 even released.
People don't seem to understand how these companies plan for the next consoles

You are 100% correct that whatever this console is it was in planning stages before the PS5/Series X hit retail and I have been told that by someone who would 100% know and helped designed the current Series X

Its not mentioned in this article but its also a safe bet the Xbox Series X Pro is also deep in development, whatever they decide to name it

I really fucking hope not,it's completely pointless,and this gen has barely begun
Yeah, it doesn't really make sense either.

The PS5 isn't even close to being maxed out and struggling like the PS4 was in 2016, it only just got out of the supply issues, current gen exclusive games are only just now starting to come en masse, and there is no standard change that they'd want to capture (ie the change from FHD to 4K being standard early in last-gen).

DJ12

The PS5 pro will never happen because their isn’t a reason for it to exist. The only reason we got a PS4 pro was due to 4K. The PS5 pro doesn’t have a strong enough value proposition for it to be marketable. 4K/60 FPS with RT is the only benefit I can see with a pro and that’s not enough for most people to want to buy into the console.

Heck, we barely even have games that is pushing the current PS5 lol
Ps5 (and Series X) are underpowered for what had been promised.

Pro or x+x is 100% needed to deliver these promises.

4k60 with full blown ray tracing. If you are happy with 4k30 with limited raytracing features then the Pro isn't for you and that's fine but to say nothing has pushed current gen is demonstratably false. No one 'wants' to deliver games as 30 fps just as much as players don't want games that look like ps4 games but running at 4k60 with raytracing.

Gamerguy84

The reason this has my attention is Tom Henderson.

Also I don't think the question is do we need it. Just don't separate the user base obviously. It's there if you want it but you don't have to buy it.

It would be day 1 for me.

Roxkis_ii

This year there going to be new PS5 version with detachable disk drive, what would be the point of slim version next year? That doesnt make any sense. You can cope as hard as you want but Tom is one of the guys that is believable, PRO is coming.
I'm saying the hardware being rumored is the slim verson. Nothing posted in the article outside of the title has anything pro about the hardware. (no spec changes)

So cope as hard as you want, you'll likely have to wait until 2027 for a console hardware upgrade.

Edit: I re-read the article and they noted that a slim is coming. Still don't think we will get a ps5 pro.

Last edited:

YCoCg

Surely if this is true then the easiest upgrade would be to have a dedicated chip for FSR2.2+, if they can let developers target 1440p60/120 and essentially have FSR2.2 Quality Mode gains for free to up it to 4K then that could be a cheap but beneficial solution.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
You could tell me why it's funny, and then we can talk about it!

Because you are comparing those two hardware options as if it means anything. Of course, most people would buy the Switch 2. That would be a whole new console generation. Plus if you only play 10 games 2.5 years on the PS5, you aren't the target market for a PS5 Pro. So your option literally doesn't matter here.

Lysandros

Ps5 (and Series X) are underpowered for what had been promised.

Pro or x+x is 100% needed to deliver these promises.

4k60 with full blown ray tracing. If you are happy with 4k30 with limited raytracing features then the Pro isn't for you and that's fine but to say nothing has pushed current gen is demonstratably false. No one 'wants' to deliver games as 30 fps just as much as players don't want games that look like ps4 games but running at 4k60 with raytracing.
Internal 8K at 120 FPS with full path tracing looks just better. I think we should skip PS5 PRO even PS6 and ask directly for PS6 PRO.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Yet I'm hearing that the RE4 runs like shit on PS5.

I've played the demo on PS5. I wouldn't say it runs like shit, it just doesn't feel as polished as it should be. Then again it's a demo, if the final game is like that, then it's an issue with Capcom not optimizing their shit as opposed to an issue with the PS5. Also, RE4 is an example of a crossgen game thats being made for PS5 and PS4, so who knows if that's a factor too.

it'll come with a 7.6GB/s SSD with 1.65TB storage :messenger_tears_of_joy:

PC already has those drives so I don't see why Sony couldn't stick it in a Pro model. Prices of SSDs are dropping all the time now.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Nah. PS5 will carry through the generation easily as what most of what we are getting are cross-gen games + games that run at 60fps which is more than enough for me.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Because you are comparing those two hardware options as if it means anything. Of course, most people would buy the Switch 2. That would be a whole new console generation. Plus if you only play 10 games 2.5 years on the PS5, you aren't the target market for a PS5 Pro. So your option literally doesn't matter here.
I'm not seeing the humor, but okay. To me, I'm planning on spending $400-500 on a console already in 2024. I'd much rather buy an entirely new system then buy a mid-gen upgrade. I never said they're the same thing. But everything competes for my dollars, and they're both consoles supposedly coming out that same year.

And if my opinion doesn't matter, then just ignore it? I can post that it's not appealing to me, just as much as you can post that it is appealing. They're both equally valid opinions. Not sure why you think one matters and the other doesn't. I'm getting flashbacks of our NeoGeo conversation lol.

I do think it's stupid to release a PS5 Pro when there are no major exclusive PS5 games that really push the hardware.

Maybe over the next year or two we'll get those games that make people want a more powerful console. The full potential of PS5 isn't being used yet because it's still running crossgen games.

mckmas8808

Surely if this is true then the easiest upgrade would be to have a dedicated chip for FSR2.2+, if they can let developers target 1440p60/120 and essentially have FSR2.2 Quality Mode gains for free to up it to 4K then that could be a cheap but beneficial solution.

Or even better............run games at 1440p and 30 fps with a hardware FSR 2.2 chip. And have games looking like this.......

Wo18Zy6.jpg
vEQpWQT.jpg

makaveli60

We don’t even have current gen games, we have no idea what these consoles can do without the shackles of lastgen and they are already thinking about Pro. This industry is getting more and more ridiculous, day-by-day… well, like the whole world.

mckmas8808

I'm not seeing the humor, but okay. To me, I'm planning on spending $400-500 on a console already in 2024. I'd much rather buy an entirely new system then buy a mid-gen upgrade. I never said they're the same thing. But everything competes for my dollars, and they're both consoles supposedly coming out that same year.

And if my opinion doesn't matter, then just ignore it? I can post that it's not appealing to me, just as much as you can post that it is appealing. They're both equally valid opinions. Not sure why you think one matters and the other doesn't. I'm getting flashbacks of our NeoGeo conversation lol.

Because a "PRO" console within a generation is only for the super hardcore audience of that platform holder. You......are......not.......a...........hardcore.................playstation.............gamer.

Day 1 for me.

AMD's roadmap for Zen5 3nm is 2024. Not saying that the alleged PS5 Pro's SOC will be built on that node, but even if it's 5nm, that will grant at a minimum a 1.8x increase in logic density potential. So, you could be looking at a 18+TF machine. One can dream for 3nm.

Logic density:
7nm - 97 million transistors per square millimeter.
5nm - 173 million transistors per square millimeter.
3nm - 290 million transistors per square millimeter.

Still got to account for power consumption at the end of the day.

GHound

One thing's for sure. If they release a Pro model alongside a Slim model again there won't be a Pro model next gen.

Top Bottom