• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extensive new details on Zelda Breath of the Wild from Game Informer (Maybe spoilers)

hatchx

Banned
I should probably go ahead and pre-order the Wii U version.

Zelda is probably the last franchise on Earth that could get me to buy hardware by itself, but as far as what I'm interested in the Switch is pretty much nothing but Zelda until Mario Odyssey comes out in the fall. I'm not dropping $300 on something I'm probably gonna let collect dust for six months for lack of games (this happened by my Wii U but more for lack of time).

Maybe if Nintendo announces something I like in regards to Virtual Console I'll reconsider.

The lineup for the first few months isn't bad. If you ever plan on getting Switch and Zelda, why wait? To save a few bucks? Might as well have the ultimate version of Zelda and playable portably.

Just do it.

They're traditional in the sense that they're big and feature a central mechanic that must be utilized to get through, featuring a boss at the end.

They're not traditional in the sense that you're not getting a unique item from them nor will you find a compass.

100% OK with this, thanks!

I don't think I could be any more excited for this game.

Haremquest

Neo Member
Why are people complaining about this new game not being exactly like all the other Zelda games? Like people are really getting mad that dungeons, sounds, weapons etc, are all different? There are decades of Zelda games to play that have exactly what you want, please just enjoy a truly original Zelda game that is trying to be different because people, probably you, have complained about the games being too samey.

Speely

Banned
These details are music to my ears. I am now almost 100% certain that I will fall in love with this game in a big way. Like "milestone in my gaming life" big.

I need it now.

duckroll

The lineup for the first few months isn't bad. If you ever plan on getting Switch and Zelda, why wait? To save a few bucks? Might as well have the ultimate version of Zelda and playable portably.

Just do it.

That sounds like bad advice. The lineup on the Switch is most attractive to a person who never had a WiiU. For anyone who does, if they really want to play Zelda, getting it on the WiiU is the most sensible choice. There are a ton of unknowns regarding the Switch. It's not even about saving a few bucks. If the Switch takes off successfully, it'll get cheaper later on with a larger library. If it fails to take off, then it might be better to see what happens first.

That sounds like bad advice. The lineup on the Switch is most attractive to a person who never had a WiiU. For anyone who does, if they really want to play Zelda, getting it on the WiiU is the most sensible choice. There are a ton of unknowns regarding the Switch. It's not even about saving a few bucks. If the Switch takes off successfully, it'll get cheaper later on with a larger library. If it fails to take off, then it might be better to see what happens first.

I have a Wii U, but I'm still going to wait for the Switch version, but it's not like I have the money for even the Wii U game.

Yukinari

Honestly glad theres no companion because i dont think they can ever top Midna anyway. Navi, Fi and King of Red Lions were not even in the same galaxy as Midna.

I do like Tatl but yeah Midna is still the best.

Astral Dog

You already bought an expensive Nintendo console to play Zelda,why buy two?

Even Nintendo understands it

N30RYU

I hope this Zelda isn't killed by his openworldness like some ppl quitting Watch dogs once the world opens to you... or ppl never leaving the Hinderlands (or how it was called) in DA:I

Astral Dog

Honestly glad theres no companion because i dont think they can ever top Midna anyway. Navi, Fi and King of Red Lions were not even in the same galaxy as Midna.

I do like Tatl but yeah Midna is still the best.
King of Red Lions > Midna, at least he didn't stole the spotlight

hatchx

Banned

Depends on tastes I guess. There's already 10 upcoming switch games I'm going to buy that I can't get on WiiU, and that's not including games we know are coming from Retro, NLG, game freak, smash team, platinum games, etc.

LotusHD

Banned

I dunno about other people, but screw my Wii U, I've moved on lol

KHlover

Banned
I dunno about other people, but screw my Wii U, I've moved on lol
Yup. Never sold any of my Nintendo consoles before, but selling my WiiU off to buy a Switch was a no-brainer. That's not to say I didn't like it, but I was through with all of my SP games anyways and can just buy the Deluxe Switch version of the MP stuff (or the sequel in case of Splatoon).

LotusHD

Banned
Yup. Never sold any of my Nintendo consoles before, but selling my WiiU off to buy a Switch was a no-brainer. That's not to say I didn't like it, but I was through with all of my SP games anyways and can just buy the Deluxe Switch version of the MP stuff (or the sequel in case of Splatoon).

I won't sell it, because hey, maybe I wanna finally see what this whole Bayonetta love is all about, among other games I never got around to trying out, but yea, I pretty much reasoned that the whole concept of wanting one last swan song for the Wii U now feels dumb to me. Rather just get it for the shiny new (portable) console. So instead of a swan song, let's go for a christening lol

random25

Every new console has a ton of unknowns to it in the beginning. And electronics just gets cheaper over time after launch anyway. So it's just a matter of convincing yourself if it's worth getting it with the features Nintendo have showed at launch together with Zelda, maybe later when the dust settles, or just never.

I'm officially going on a media blackout on this game!

I skimmed through the list of stuff in the OP and was loving what I was seeing, but I want to experience as much of it as I can firsthand.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
– Players can skip dungeons if they want and go straight to Calamity Ganon

Yeah....really not a fan of this idea and what it implies. :/

That the entire game is a sidequest (seriously, what company has the balls to make the vast majority of the content theoretically optional in a AAA release these days?)? That you have actual freedom in approaching and beating the game?

Lynd7

I doubt many will be able to beat him anyway. Plus you'd get zero story so prob still wouldn't have a clue what's going on.

I welcome an altered approach to dungeons. The series needs a bit of a shakeup, and I love that they're going back to its NES roots.

I doubt many will be able to beat him anyway. Plus you'd get zero story so prob still wouldn't have a clue what's going on.

It's great for replays, anyway. You can play the game "correctly," then challenge yourself during a second run.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Then don't skip dungeons?

Some people genuinely want to be forced to do so, to not have the option to skip it all. Like having it being optional to go through all the story bits actually makes the game less fun for them.

That's not it!

What I mean is that if you can beat the game by completely skipping any dungeons and going directly to Ganon, that means that they would have to modify Ganon's castle in such a way that you wouldn't need a steady progression of items, or build up of hearts or any of the other growth enabled abilities that you would normally expect from every Zelda game up until now.

This was actually one of the major concerns I had with the idea of a truly open world Zelda where you could do anything out of any order.

RRockman

Banned

Bruh this has me frothing at the mouth. The only way this could be better
is if they pull a chrono trigger and gave you different endings based around when you beat the final boss.
more "open" games need to do this.

That's not it!

What I mean is that if you can beat the game by completely skipping any dungeons and going directly to Ganon, that means that they would have to modify Ganon's castle in such a way that you wouldn't need a steady progression of items, or build up of hearts or any of the other growth enabled abilities that you would normally expect from every Zelda game up until now.

And that would be a problem if Link didn't start with all of his significant tools.

I agree. I still have my GameStop preorder, but I'm so tempted to just cancel and wait for a bundle.

Forkball

Needs to be posted here too because holy fucking shit

HzYxWZj.gif

Props to distify for the gif

Rookie mistake, Link. Last time I took a girl to the horse ruins, I didn't get a second date.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Bruh this has me frothing at the mouth. The only way this could be better
is if they pull a chrono trigger and gave you different endings based around when you beat the final boss.
more "open" games need to do this.
Well

multiple endings were already confirmed I thought

MoonFrog

Yeah. And I am a person with a Wii U getting a Zelda and Switch at launch. And no, I do usually wait until there is some critical mass of titles before I buy, just worse about it with Nintendo :p.

Mostly, I am just ready to move on from my Wii U and Zelda will start my Switch collection, rather than end my Wii U collection. I hope it marks the beginning of a better day for the Nintendo adventure game fan. And I hope it gets 3DS support+, in the long run. But even if neither of these things pan out, I'll still want the device come November or so for Mario anyway.

IDK. Just sort of want to experience a Day 1. Think it will be the first time I ever have. I've got a wealth of DS/3DS games I recently bought to get through, just got a Slim, etc. So even if Switch is super slow for me, like it looks to be, I'll be covered for gaming.

But yes, a console for one game that you could play on a console you already own is not a great reason to buy a system. Tbh, I'm amused with myself writing this. Amused but also happy and hyped :p.

That's not it!

This was actually one of the major concerns I had with the idea of a truly open world Zelda where you could do anything out of any order.
Yeah its gonna require some actual skill to get around or defeat enemies. Youre probably not good enough to playlike that so relax.

Mariolee

That's not it!

They said you can fight him, not that you could beat him.

Nanashrew

Banned
That's not it!

Don't forget the many possible Guardians that might be lurking around the castle. Or the many strong enemies.

Game looks hard. You can die easily if not careful. Ganon's Tower, Hyrule Castle, is likely filled to the brim with strong enemies where a single hit or two could kill.

Don't forget the many possible Guardians that might be lurking around the castle. Or the many strong enemies.

Game looks hard. You can die easily if not careful. Ganon's Tower, Hyrule Castle, is likely filled to the brim with strong enemies where a single hit or two could kill.

It's especially worth noting that they really seem to understand why earlier Zelda games were difficult and that's the Crowd Control aspect of combat that was lost in later entries.

So not only are you going to be dealing with enemies that can one to two shot you, you're dealing with up to ten enemies or more at a time that can do that.

Can you elaborate on this? You're just asking for less features. Is it a price thing, like you would trade the portable features for a lower price? So would a cheaper Switch satisfy you as well?

Don't care about the portability. Don't care about motion controls, so I would never purchase the gimmick games.

I just want to sit down and play Zelda and mario, with a regular game pad, no gimmicks. I don't want to pay for gimmicks I'm not going to use.

Just give me a small set top box the size of an Apple TV and a pro controller for $250 and I would buy it right now.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Oh man, every time I see new facts about Zelda BotW it more and more gives the impression of being utterly laborous, filled to the brim with busywork and tedium. I really hope the dungeon areas and shrines can make up for this torture with amazing puzzle design.

Top Bottom