• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fairly new high end pc owner with a question...

i have a vague understanding of gsync and freesync monitors and how both are nvidia and amd compatible respectively but how much of a difference do they make if youre using a freesync monitor with a nvidia gpu for example? Less hz ? Whats the sacrifice? And a better understanding of both technologies are welcome. Thanks.

I have rtx2060 and freesync only display and freesync works great. When game drops below 144fps freesync keeps it smooth and I don't notice. I can watch my refresh rate change with my fps.

Rikkori

There is no sacrifice usually; the exceptions are some 75hz monitors with Freesync which are only 75hz if you use them with Freesync enabled, otherwise they're 60hz. You just have to make sure the particular monitor works fine with Freesync with Nvidia GPU. Some are not perfect and show flicker etc So you have to research the monitor individually.
Especially if buying a Freesync monitor, pay attention to the Freesync range, some try and do a poor job like only 48hz-60hz. Try and aim for closer to 30hz as starting range. Monitors with Gsync modules have no issues like that (but not to be confused with G-sync compatible - which have no module).

Top Bottom