• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Jaxter09

Just finished Dead Money and have a couple of plot related questions. Ending spoilers
How is the collar removed? Elijah sets it to detonate, but when you exit the vault, it is just removed. Also I escaped without killing him, but what is stopping him from just walking out, apparently he is sealed.

Just finished Dead Money and have a couple of plot related questions. Ending spoilers
How is the collar removed? Elijah sets it to detonate, but when you exit the vault, it is just removed. Also I escaped without killing him, but what is stopping him from just walking out, apparently he is sealed.

Reading the personal file in the vault computer is a trap that seals the vault. It was set by Sinclair, intended to catch Domino trying to steal from him. Presumably if you escaped without having to fight Elijah, he would go into the vault and read it himself.

The collar, I don't remember if there was a proper in-game explanation for why it deactivated once you got to the elevator. But it does, even if it was set to go off in a minute once Elijah realized he was duped.

The modding community took an amazing game with flaws and created a fucking 11/10. Truly a wonderful murder/diplomacy simulator with some mechanics tweaks. Even the game's logic is still being updated and adjusted on PC by one if its designers, Sawyer.

zkylon

zkylewd
Ok, thanks guys. Saved me 20 bucks.

Just for curiosity sake, the 360 version is good?
If your computer is pretty bad, there are mods that make the game a little more scalable, like reducing the texture size of grass and removing unused objects, and such stuff.

Dries

So Vault 34 is full of
radiation, anyone know where I can find a Radiation Suit or something like that?

Fjordson

Ok, thanks guys. Saved me 20 bucks.

Just for curiosity sake, the 360 version is good?
I've played over 150 hours at this point on the 360 version and it's worked great the entire time. A few random freezes, a couple lost companions, but I can count the issues I've had on one hand and it's never been anything major. That goes for the core game and all of the DLC.

zkylon

zkylewd
Thanks for the link, this is awesome. Love the part on how they wanted to twist the player's faction allegiances later on in the game. House
ordering you to destroy the Brotherhood of Steel
was such a tremendous moment where you're really put in a tough spot.
Yeah, agreed, it's one of my favorite "fuck you" moments of the game. It's a pity that the Legion was so undeveloped, they sound like they had a lot of ideas that were left out...

Oh, and congrats on getting member'd.

Agree with him that Bethesda did a good job making Fallout "their own". I like the first person open world exploration. It made the combat less tactical but I don't think any less strategic than Fallout 1 or 2. I'll refrain from commenting on area design or RP system design.
Yeah, exploring stuff I guess works in Fallout 3+ but it doesn't feel like Fallout one bit, and that's why I think it's a terrible game. Some things are paramount in some genres, and writing, quest design, RPG mechanics, etc., should be given proper care in RPGs (and Fallout was among the greatest in all those points), something Bethesda almost never does right, and certainly one of the biggest flukes in FO3.

For me, it's a terrible game and a terrible Fallout, one in which sometimes you can find fun in exploring, but not consistently, and more often than not exploring just doesn't pay off. If you compare it to other explorer games like STALKER, FO3 is a joke.

willooi

Yeah, agreed, it's one of my favorite "fuck you" moments of the game. It's a pity that the Legion was so undeveloped, they sound like they had a lot of ideas that were left out...

Oh, and congrats on getting member'd.

Yeah, exploring stuff I guess works in Fallout 3+ but it doesn't feel like Fallout one bit, and that's why I think it's a terrible game. Some things are paramount in some genres, and writing, quest design, RPG mechanics, etc., should be given proper care in RPGs (and Fallout was among the greatest in all those points), something Bethesda almost never does right, and certainly one of the biggest flukes in FO3.

For me, it's a terrible game and a terrible Fallout, one in which sometimes you can find fun in exploring, but not consistently, and more often than not exploring just doesn't pay off. If you compare it to other explorer games like STALKER, FO3 is a joke.

Definitely a shame about the Legion, and Ulysses as a companion would've been something special, I suspect. Still it was nice how they ended up rewriting him as your pursuer in the DLCs.

Thank you! Good to always run into you on all these same threads as well =)

As for Bethesda, you're spot on. Skyrim's success pretty much guarantees what the next Fallout will be like, where they have downpat this formula of championing the exploration aspect, which can definitely be quite incredible once you get sucked in, but as soon as you look behind the curtain it's all the same paper-thin plotlines and quest design and even major and minor characters with no personality and 3 lines of dialogue, which really ruins that immersion (or shall we say 'illusion') they work so hard on creating in the first place.

Going from Cass in NV to 'sworn to carry your burdens' Lydia in Skyrim was ridiculous.

zkylon

zkylewd
Definitely a shame about the Legion, and Ulysses as a companion would've been something special, I suspect. Still it was nice how they ended up rewriting him as your pursuer in the DLCs.

Thank you! Good to always run into you on all these same threads as well =)

As for Bethesda, you're spot on. Skyrim's success pretty much guarantees what the next Fallout will be like, where they have downpat this formula of championing the exploration aspect, which can definitely be quite incredible once you get sucked in, but as soon as you look behind the curtain it's all the same paper-thin plotlines and quest design and even major and minor characters with no personality and 3 lines of dialogue, which really ruins that immersion (or shall we say 'illusion') they work so hard on creating in the first place.

Going from Cass in NV to 'sworn to carry your burdens' Lydia in Skyrim was ridiculous.
Yeah, I tried Skyrim myself but found the moment I came into a city to drag the game down entirely by introducing a lot of undeveloped characters I couldn't care less (I can't even remember if Skyrim actually has dialogue trees) and barely masqueraded fetch quests (New Vegas has dozens of these, the most infamous being the NCR Ranger Outpost scouting missions, but most of them reward you with at least some interesting dialogue or lore).

And yeah, Ulysses would've been pretty awesome as a companion. I've long wanted to make a mod that would add some more Legion to the game, but I can't find the time...

willooi

Yeah, I tried Skyrim myself but found the moment I came into a city to drag the game down entirely by introducing a lot of undeveloped characters I couldn't care less (I can't even remember if Skyrim actually has dialogue trees) and barely masqueraded fetch quests (New Vegas has dozens of these, the most infamous being the NCR Ranger Outpost scouting missions, but most of them reward you with at least some interesting dialogue or lore).

And yeah, Ulysses would've been pretty awesome as a companion. I've long wanted to make a mod that would add some more Legion to the game, but I can't find the time...

Absolutely, and it didn't help that all these undeveloped characters were practically cut and pasted to populate every single town, assigning you fetch quests to travel to other towns where you'd meet some more one-dimensional fetch quest givers, etc etc. Funnily enough the journey to and from towns and all the distractions you'd come across on the way were what made the game enjoyable, but ultimately it really did cry out for more substance.

Ah yes, Return to Sender! Returning to those outposts again was going too far (especially if you were on a 'no fast travel' run), but as you say at least you had Chief Hanlon at the end of it, and that uncomfortable choice to make, and running into Marcus during the journey up north.

A Legion mod to enhance their presence would add so much. Fingers crossed you or Sawyer or someone eventually does one =)

zkylon

zkylewd
A Legion mod to enhance their presence would add so much. Fingers crossed you or Sawyer or someone eventually does one =)
Basically I was trying to balance up the Legion and NCR in terms of content and how they're presented compared to how they were supposed to be.

The game makes the rotten apples impression about the NCR, and I don't think that's what the NCR is supposed to say about the US and the pre-war world, so the idea would be to better show the fundamental wrongs of the NCR as a system and further demonstrate how deep the corruption runs, not just a couple characters here and there, while most people are nice. I want a bit more of Bitter Springs-like stuff, and the NCR's ugly side on the forefront.

On the other side of things, the Legion is too obvious and plain evil, so I'd like to tear that out and put a couple of examples of the Legion doing "good" stuff, such as killing bandits or the poetic justice that goes on Nipton. Ideally, I'd build a whole Legion town, in which you can see regular people pseudo-happy to be under Legion turf, you know, ignoring that women get treated like shit and human life has little to no value. Maybe add a couple outposts and overall make the Legion appear more menacing, too, but I think scope would be pretty darned big.

I got a high concept document and a few quests and characters written out but so very little time. Some day, maybe.

Lancehead

They did a good enough job communicating Legion is not really a plain evil faction - by way of conversations with various characters. That in a post-apocalyptic world Old World values of democracy do not work, and brutal unification of tribes is necessary to bring some order. Once that is done democracy or whatever other institution can take over.

That they did a decent job of communicating. What was lacking is an actual Legion place to showcase the fruits of unification of tribes and eradication of their previous identities in the process. Another thing that should've been done better is quest and area design that discourages players from choosing Legion over NCR.

zkylon

zkylewd
They did a good enough job communicating Legion is not really a plain evil faction - by way of conversations with various characters. That in a post-apocalyptic world Old World values of democracy do not work, and brutal unification of tribes is necessary to bring some order. Once that is done democracy or whatever other institution can take over.

That they did a decent job of communicating. What was lacking is an actual Legion place to showcase the fruits of unification of tribes and eradication of their previous identities in the process. Another thing that should've been done better is quest and area design that discourages players from choosing Legion over NCR.
Exactly. You're told Legion is pretty alright if you let them but your interaction with them is usually from the NCR side and overall they just have very little screen time, and that idea just fades out of lack of reinforcement. I thought Nipton was really impressive, it made such a strong impression on me on their ideals and their prowess, and I want more of that.

I really hope Obs gets to do another Fallout, I wouldn't trust the series to anyone else.

willooi

Exactly. You're told Legion is pretty alright if you let them but your interaction with them is usually from the NCR side and overall they just have very little screen time, and that idea just fades out of lack of reinforcement. I thought Nipton was really impressive, it made such a strong impression on me on their ideals and their prowess, and I want more of that.

I really hope Obs gets to do another Fallout, I wouldn't trust the series to anyone else.

Just going back to Ulysses as companion and when Wolfhorn Ranch was named Ulysses' Ranch, I wonder whether their influence was supposed to kick in at this point in the map right after Mojave Outpost and Nipton? As it was though, players went straight from Nipton and, next thing they knew, here's Boone, the Legion-murderer extraordinaire and - maybe crucially - the first human companion you could recruit in the game. I wonder whether most players would've been aligned to NCR by default just based on this alone.

I think if Ulysses had been at this point in the game or earlier, or at least close enough geographically (before Boone and before Nelson/Camp Forlorn Hope), it would have made for some interesting loyalty tests early on.

zkylon

zkylewd
Just going back to Ulysses as companion and when Wolfhorn Ranch was named Ulysses' Ranch, I wonder whether their influence was supposed to kick in at this point in the map right after Mojave Outpost and Nipton? As it was though, players went straight from Nipton and, next thing they knew, here's Boone, the Legion-murderer extraordinaire and - maybe crucially - the first human companion you could recruit in the game. I wonder whether most players would've been aligned to NCR by default just based on this alone.

I think if Ulysses had been at this point in the game or earlier, or at least close enough geographically (before Boone and before Nelson/Camp Forlorn Hope), it would have made for some interesting loyalty tests early on.
Hmm, yeah, I like that analysis, I mean to place my Legion town somewhere in the existing game world, rather than teleport you to a new area, but I may have to fiddle with stuff to get it to fit. I've spent some time thinking about things like what you said and the idea would be to go for a strong second impression (maybe flesh out Nelson?), and a few more endgame stuff.

willooi

Hmm, yeah, I like that analysis, I mean to place my Legion town somewhere in the existing game world, rather than teleport you to a new area, but I may have to fiddle with stuff to get it to fit. I've spent some time thinking about things like what you said and the idea would be to go for a strong second impression (maybe flesh out Nelson?), and a few more endgame stuff.

Judging by the goals you mentioned earlier, it sounds like this has tons of promise, and an equivalent Bitter Springs-type Legion area would be great. All depends on how you'd like to represent it.

I'm curious: what's it like working with Gamebryo?

zkylon

zkylewd
Judging by the goals you mentioned earlier, it sounds like this has tons of promise, and an equivalent Bitter Springs-type Legion area would be great. All depends on how you'd like to represent it.

I'm curious: what's it like working with Gamebryo?
Haven't done all that much actual in-engine work as just throwing out ideas and designing a couple quests/writing some dialogue. Overall I have a general idea of what I want to make, and some of the main characters, as well as some minor ones, but it's all way too barebones.

I've played around with the editor and it's not all that complicated but I imagine actually scripting everything up will be hell. I like it more than Hammer, that's for sure.

Lancehead

It would have been great because companions can motivate players more strongly than world events or factions ever could.

When you have a morality meter, players tend to make decisions based on what morality they want their character to have, which is stupid because it doesn't really take into account what those decisions mean for people and places in the world. Faction mechanics make sense because they give perspective - that of the various factions - to the decisions players make. A companion can have much stronger influence than factions (because after a certain point factions become intangible to players) on the decisions they make. Players to give priority to companions over factions, meaning the question would not be "should I choose Legion or NCR?" but "do I prefer Ulysses or Boone?"

There's a reason why BioWare romances are popular, even if they're poorly executed.

As I understand it, Ulysses would have behaved somewhat like how he is in the final game; he wouldn't be an overt Legion supporter and would keep his allegiance somewhat secret from the player if they weren't pro legion. He's essentially a spy after all.

I'm pretty sure that the game has a massively pro NCR bias content-wise is no accident. J Sawyer has alluded to as much in some of the things he's said, and there's no way the amount of planning and thought put into this game they got to the end and just went "oops, these dudes have got way less to do!". I think the decision to sideline them must have been made fairly early on when they released how little time they had to work on the game, and the fact that overwhelmingly players always side with the least morally ambigous faction in games, and almost always make "good" choices (I worked on a certain large New Vegas mod and people were distraught that one of the most advantageous quest decisions in the game was a somewhat "evil" choice, to the extent people claimed it was "broken" because they had to do something bad to get the best outcome). There's pretty much zero cut stuff to do with the Legion, save some things at the fort.

You mean after the production started, right?

Well, yes. Further Legion stuff doesn't seem to have even been started, there's no evidence of it in the game files (although having said that there are things I know for a fact were in the game at one point that there is no trace of as well). The extra fort stuff seems to have been abandoned early on.

zkylon

zkylewd
JESawyer saying that they ended up unsatisfied with how the Legion's represented in the game is also a something of a recurring theme in his interviews. There's no reason why they wouldn't be able to have made whole areas and just delete them from the game files just because they left in minor details here and there (not to underappreciate your mod, I think it's all kinds of awesome, but certainly the stuff that's there to recover isn't as large as a new Legion fort).

Lancehead

JESawyer saying that they ended up unsatisfied with how the Legion's represented in the game is also a something of a recurring theme in his interviews. There's no reason why they wouldn't be able to have made whole areas and just delete them from the game files just because they left in minor details here and there (not to underappreciate your mod, I think it's all kinds of awesome, but certainly the stuff that's there to recover isn't as large as a new Legion fort).

I imagine the number of DLC (4) was decided by Bethesda, and the content of them was mostly Obsidian's choice. If so, I wonder why they didn't make one of the DLC about Legion. Sawyer did say that he would've liked to make a DLC about Legion. Was all the DLC was planned rigidly to change anything?

I imagine the number of DLC (4) was decided by Bethesda, and the content of them was mostly Obsidian's choice. If so, I wonder why they didn't make one of the DLC about Legion. Sawyer did say that he would've liked to make a DLC about Legion. Was all the DLC was planned rigidly to change anything?

Making a Legion DLC seems like a no-brainer, but I think they had the entire DLC arc planned out quite early on (the Elijah stuff was completely in the original game files but camoflaged, for example). Also the DLCs were to take place in areas that are completely different from the Mojave proper, whereas a regular town(s) wouldn't really fit into that scope.

Consider also characters like Alexus. He was an "important" Legion character, but they never even got further with him than writing basic placeholder dialogue whch was completely trimmed from the game. I'm pretty sure the extra Legion towns Sawyer talked about never got anywhere further than a basic discussion stage.

Lancehead

VATS in general and Beth's implementation of FPS+RPG. Most of New Vegas' additions were good, but the core Fallout 3 design is terrible.

I'm not sure why Bethesda even included VATS; probably to compensate for the shitty Gamebryo real-time shooting. But - apart from the combat, and the first person perspective - the SPECIAL system, skill system, perk system, area design are all part of the "core" design for a Fallout game. And those are pretty good in NV.

Also, the writing itself (prose) isn't good in NV. It's greatness comes from how it's integrated into roleplaying, which, I'd argue, is also a part of the core design for a Fallout game.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm not sure why Bethesda even included VATS; probably to compensate for the shitty Gamebryo real-time shooting. But - apart from the combat, and the first person perspective - the SPECIAL system, skill system, perk system, area design are all part of the "core" design for a Fallout game. And those are pretty good in NV.

Also, the writing itself (prose) isn't good in NV. It's greatness comes from how it's integrated into roleplaying, which, I'd argue, is also a part of the core design for a Fallout game.
The mechanics design in New Vegas is so improved to the point it's actually good, but all the things you mentioned are pretty weak in Fallout 3. I guess it was a bit of a hyperbole to say that "writing" fixed everything, specially since it'd undermine Obsidian's design magic, but I'd argue that writing in general, plot, quest and faction design, and how they deal with the themes of greed, guilt, etc. on the DLC are what really lift the game to godly levels.

So to clarify:

Fallout 1: awesome on all accounts
Fallout 2: awesome on all accounts
Fallout 3: terrible in pretty much everything, but A for effort to Beth
Fallout New Vegas: awesome but so wish this was on a proper gameplay engine

edit: oh and Fallout Tactics: pretty fun, all things considered, but the giant roaches creep me out

Lancehead

Oh, you meant improvement on Fallout 3's design. I read your original post from the other thread as "New Vegas proved that good writing can save [NV's] terrible design." Your reply should've clarified it for me, but I didn't quite understand.

I was worried for a bit for your sanity there. :p

I'm planning on doing a new run through of this game after a while away. What difficulty do you recommend playing? I'm looking for a challenge, but not hair pulling as Master was in Skyrim. I'm also going to be using the JSawyer mod.

Lancehead

I'm planning on doing a new run through of this game after a while away. What difficulty do you recommend playing? I'm looking for a challenge, but not hair pulling as Master was in Skyrim. I'm also going to be using the JSawyer mod.

With Sawyer's mod, Normal or Hard gives a good challenge and fun. You can go Very Hard, in which case every bullet counts, literally.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, I wouldn't deem me a sane either but New Vegas is my favorite game since Fallout 2 so, yeah, I think its design sticks. It's just a pity it's great design in spite of what Beth did, rather than great design, period.

I also think (I missed this in my previous post) the prose is pretty good, there's a good amount of fun (Cass, Veronica, Yes Man) and darker (Mr. House, the Dead Money cast, Vulpes) characters, and I just felt the writing was overall strong and consistent, and I walked out with a bunch of cool quotes that obviously I can't remember right now :p

I really really really like New Vegas :)

Hard + Hardcore + JES mod, or even normal.

Very hard is just annoying to me and the combat doesn't really require all that much skill anyways.

Lancehead

Hard + Hardcore + JES mod, or even normal.

Very hard is just annoying to me and the combat doesn't really require all that much skill anyways.

I played Sawyer mod+Very Hard+Hardcore for a number of hours, and it can be annoying if you want to play around with different builds. But I did find that, if you're pure RPing, including permadeath, it can be great. I remember I reached Primm after Goodsprings with all my ammo, and most of my medical supplies spent. Then Primm, and the NCR camp outside, really felt like a safe haven.

Lancehead

I have to post this, a reply from Sawyer regarding Honest Hearts.

Have you been pleased with the feedback for Joshua Graham? I've replayed Honest Hearts 2-3 times just to soak up his relentless charisma and have been happy to find a modest collection of fan art going for him.

As much as can be expected. A lot of players really wanted to see the Hanged Man/Burned Man incarnation from the Van Buren design documents, so I think most of those people were unhappy with how he turned out.

I had wanted to develop a religious conflict in an RPG for a while, one that wasn't presented as pro-religion vs. anti-religion. I didn't want to use a proxy/fictitious religion and I didn't want to use religion as the set-up for a series of jokes. My first idea for Honest Hearts was a direct conflict between Joshua and Daniel where Joshua was more like his pre-fall self, but I didn't think the characterization would be particularly interesting and I didn't think players would struggle much with the decision of whom to support. It didn't take long for me to change the main conflict to one about Joshua and Daniel vs. an external threat, with the player's choice revolving around which leader to support. I think we often present players with a choice between two bad solutions and we ask them to decide which one is least bad. With Honest Hearts, I wanted the player to decide which solution would produce the most good.

I wanted the player's first encounter with Joshua to be very reductive. In way, I wanted the player to be initially disappointed. They hear legends of this fearsome, terrible, demonic figure and when they first see him, he's doing the equivalent of putting his pants on one leg at a time: sitting at a table maintaining a stack of guns. Even internally, some people complained about his appearance. They wanted him to be huge and monstrous or they wanted his first encounter with the player to involve him brutally gunning down White Legs. I believed that for his character to feel right in the context of the story, he needed to be a man first and the monster later. But that expressed desire on the team made me ask for the graffiti players see on the way to see Joshua: an entire cliff face dominated by the image of Joshua with tiny White Leg corpses falling down below him. In the image, he's like Goya's Saturn, dwarfing and destroying everyone around him.

Presenting the conflict with Daniel posed some challenges because Daniel is not a living legend, i.e. he is even more of a normal man than Joshua is trying to be. Additionally, Mormonism is not a pacifistic religion (and its soteriology does not depend on pacifism), so the conflict could not reasonably by framed around violence vs. non-violence even in the post-apocalyptic version followed by the New Canaanites. Daniel's concern was about larger issues than fighting or not-fighting; he was concerned that Joshua's lapsed nature would cause a whirlwind of warfare that would pull everyone far away New Canaanite traditions to the point where religion was virtually abandoned in favor of a war cult surrounding Joshua.

I had expected that most people would support Joshua, in part because of Joshua as a character but also because of the nature of gameplay in Fallout (i.e., violence is almost always a solution). I did not expect that the Survivalist's logs (written by John Gonzalez) would push so many more people toward supporting Joshua. I think it's an interesting example of players finding their own connections between the two stories and making an emotional connection that pushes them in a particular direction.

http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/396730136591888664

I know HH tends to be the least favourite DLC for most, including myself, but I had always liked Graham.

zkylon

zkylewd
I played Sawyer mod+Very Hard+Hardcore for a number of hours, and it can be annoying if you want to play around with different builds. But I did find that, if you're pure RPing, including permadeath, it can be great. I remember I reached Primm after Goodsprings with all my ammo, and most of my medical supplies spent. Then Primm, and the NCR camp outside, really felt like a safe haven.
Yeah, I dunno, permadeath would be cool but Very Hard just feels dumb to me. Pretty much everything above a Giant Radscorpion one-hits you even with Power Armor, and kiting gets boring after a while. I'd rather play hard or normal.

I have to post this, a reply from Sawyer regarding Honest Hearts.

http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/396730136591888664

I know HH tends to be the least favourite DLC for most, including myself, but I had always liked Graham.
Very cool. JES' formspring is always worth a read.

I'm iffy about HH too, I like tribals as a part of the Fallout universe but HH felt rushed and I wish I had gotten more time with pretty much everyone and everything, but what little we got out of Joshua (and Daniel) was pretty good.

willooi

I'm iffy about HH too, I like tribals as a part of the Fallout universe but HH felt rushed and I wish I had gotten more time with pretty much everyone and everything, but what little we got out of Joshua (and Daniel) was pretty good.

Graham was a great character and the 'loving God' vs 'vengeful God' conflict was good to see in a game, but as you say, I wish we could've spent more time with those characters. Living with the tribes, contributing to the community, fully understanding their plight, etc before making that choice at the end.

Technically as well, I also had way too many hard crashes just walking around in that one particular DLC, but really enjoyed the new feel of the environment as well as the jump in difficulty: tribals with 12.7 submachines guns at max level...that was crazy.

Also, those Randall Clark survivalist diaries. Hands down some of the best lore in all of Fallout =)

zkylon

zkylewd
Graham was a great character and the 'loving God' vs 'vengeful God' conflict was good to see in a game, but as you say, I wish we could've spent more time with those characters. Living with the tribes, contributing to the community, fully understanding their plight, etc before making that choice at the end.

Technically as well, I also had way too many hard crashes just walking around in that one particular DLC, but really enjoyed the new feel of the environment as well as the jump in difficulty: tribals with 12.7 submachines guns at max level...that was crazy.

Also, those Randall Clark survivalist diaries. Hands down some of the best lore in all of Fallout =)
Yeah the diaries were by far the highlight of the DLC.

willooi

Yeah the diaries were by far the highlight of the DLC.

Also, pardon the late reply to the previous page's discussion...good luck with the Gamebryo scripting if/when you eventually get around to it, and hopefully it'll do justice to your vision of added Legion content.

Lancehead

Sawyer talks about process behind developing characters and locations: http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/400564082240931553

It's inevitable that locations are going to be scaled down drastically in videogames, but some of the stuff in New Vegas was pretty bad with regards to scale.

I specifically remember Boone talking about Bitter Springs, during his personal quest, and I'm there on Coyote Ridge visualising things - Khans escaping, and NCR opening fire - and the scale of that area is really off-putting.

I love the landmarks though.

zkylon

zkylewd
Sawyer talks about process behind developing characters and locations: http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/400564082240931553

It's inevitable that locations are going to be scaled down drastically in videogames, but some of the stuff in New Vegas was pretty bad with regards to scale.

I specifically remember Boone talking about Bitter Springs, during his personal quest, and I'm there on Coyote Ridge visualising things - Khans escaping, and NCR opening fire - and the scale of that area is really off-putting.

I love the landmarks though.
Yeah, it was kind of a running motif of the game, I only really minded it with regards to New Vegas, but a mod kinda fixes that so I'm ok with it.

Always like listening JES talk, thanks for the link.

Top Bottom