• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu asks its readers about next gen consoles

Elios83

Babelfished from Gamefront.de :

The Famitsu asked readers in its newest expenditure, which NEXT generation console interests her in most.

1. Nintendo revolution: 42,2 %
2. Sony PlayStation3: 39,8 %
3. Microsoft Xbox 360: 18,0 %

As special aspects for the respective hardware indicated the readers:

Revolution
- the console is very small and from the Design untypisch for Nintendo.
- the Download possibility of old Famicom (NES) and super Famicom (SNES) plays.
- the console could possibly cause a revolution, as the name gives.
- much is still another Mysterium and unclear contrary to other hardware, but one possesses hope/confidence.

PlayStation3
- outstanding technical data, stand out against the other hardware.
- downwardcompatibly to PlayStation and PlayStation2.
- has things such as Cell and Blu ray, which are missing to the other consoles.
- the Design of the console and the CONTROLLER is mad.

Xbox 360
- the developers are a splendour, and it is a surprise that also people are such as Akira Toriyama also thereby.
- Square Enix supports the console.
- name, housing color, dimension/vertical setting up the console, the technology and software Lineup are [ more positively ] a ' Schock'/Schlag.

Vormund

I think they mean mad in a good way? They seem to be only listing positive things there.

18% interest for x360 is a good start. Most likely won't help at all though. :lol

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
- name, housing color, dimension/vertical setting up the console, the technology and software Lineup are [ more positively ] a ' Schock'/Schlag.

WHAT?!

Do they mean a "shock"?

Lionheart

The Faceless Master said:

i assume that's a bad thing in japan?

i hope someone can do a better translation...

The German word is 'toll', which means something like 'nice' or 'great' even I think. It's positive at least.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Vormund said:
18% interest for x360 is a good start. Most likely won't help at all though. :lol

Especially considering one of them listed is Square Enix support, which will probably end up amounting to FFXI.. and FFXI.

I was right though, thats exactly why MS made the deal, people now think SquareEnix is on xbox, but they are in for a bit of a surprise :lol

EDIT:

Why do I get the feeling they will launch with that controller... and we are going to have to wait for a second revision?
Or maybe they will have another controller for US launch.. I better not get my hopes up

Azih

Though y'know considering that most of 'em are interested in the revolution convinces me that the famitsu audience isn't very representative ofthe Japanese market.

thorns

Banned
Suikoguy said:
Especially considering one of them listed is Square Enix support, which will probably end up amounting to FFXI.. and FFXI.

I was right though, thats exactly why MS made the deal, people now think SquareEnix is on xbox, but they are in for a bit of a surprise :lol

Except that square enix hasn't announced any new games for any next-gen consoles yet.

Altermo

The Faceless Master said:

i assume that's a bad thing in japan?

i hope someone can do a better translation...

:lol

Gamefront says "toll". That means something like great in english.

The funny thing is, you could probably just about reverse those number to rerperesent what console people are most interested in in the US. Xbox and PS3 clearly at the top, with Nintedo fighting an up hill battle, at least at the moment.

I was right though, thats exactly why MS made the deal, people now think SquareEnix is on xbox, but they are in for a bit of a surprise

Games with an (s) were stressed at the Square-Enix portion of Microsoft's press conference. So who knows.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Famitsu readers said:
Revolution
- the console could possibly cause a revolution, as the name gives.

PlayStation3
- has things such as Cell and Blu ray, which are missing to the other consoles.

Xbox 360
- Square Enix supports the console.

Famitsu. The magazine for gamers who really need to be slapped.

8bit

Knows the Score
Toll:
amazing
awesome
bodacious
choice [N.Z.]
corky
def
groovy
jazzy
mad
neat
rad
rip-roaring

The Famitsu asked readers in its newest expenditure, which NEXT generation console interests her in most.

1. Nintendo revolution: 42,2 %
2. Sony PlayStation3: 39,8 %
3. Microsoft Xbox 360: 18,0 %

OMFG!!! There are gamers out there who don't base their opinions off of internet message boards!! MEGATON!!!!

Any1

For some reason, i don't think MS could ever do anything to ever really be taken seriously in Japan. Where as American culture and ideas are very popular in Japan, i get the impression that gaming has become more of a sense of pride and would be the equivalent of the full size truck market in the US. Like no matter how good Japans full-size trucks are, no self-respecting american male would be caught dead driving one.

I wonder if the same may be true for game consoles in Japan. As in no matter how well an American or European gaming system is recieved by their media and critics, it will remain an oddity and only gain acceptance by Japans fringe gamers but never really taken seriously by the Japanese gaming public as a whole.

Apenheul

Nintendo up front? How did that happen? Well if they buy Revolutions like they used to buy PS2's ...

[edit]
I've just noticed how funny that last sentence sounds :)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
for some reason i find it unlikely that revolution would have the most votes since they've revealed practically NOTHING

StRaNgE

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
The funny thing is, you could probably just about reverse those number to rerperesent what console people are most interested in in the US. Xbox and PS3 clearly at the top, with Nintedo fighting an up hill battle, at least at the moment.

funny you say that. every poll i have seen has PS3 and Rev battling it out as the two that people want to know more about.
as what has sparked someones interest for next gen.

Ponn

Banned
Considering Nintendo is still pulling their mystery hype machine it's not surprising its at the top of most interested in lists. Being there is still more to be known about the PS3 it also makes sense to be on top of a list like that. Everyone and their mom knows about the Xbox360 by now.

mCACGj

Wario64 said:
for some reason i find it unlikely that revolution would have the most votes since they've revealed practically NOTHING

Well the Nintendo Classic series for GBA in Japan sold really well, so I'm sure the downloadable service of all previous Nintendo games is huge.

PG2G

StRaNgE said:
funny you say that. every poll i have seen has PS3 and Rev battling it out as the two that people want to know more about.
as what has sparked someones interest for next gen.

Maybe its because we've known so much about X360 for so long?

Hournda

Elios83 said:
the console could possibly cause a revolution, as the name gives

Wow, it`s going to start a REVOLUTION!

T242134A.jpg

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
If I was a betting man I'd still put everything I have on the PS3 cleaning house in Japan (and everywhere else for that matter)...

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Juno said:
If I was a betting man I'd still put everything I have on the PS3 cleaning house in Japan (and everywhere else for that matter)...

Thank yourself you're not a betting man, because you would have lost all your money :p

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
This excites me.

However, does anyone really think this is what the general public wants too?
Or just the hardcore informed?

Because it is what the former prefers that matters in the end, over the latter.

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
DopeyFish said:
Thank yourself you're not a betting man, because you would have lost all your money :p
Well I'm not saying it's going to be along the lines of how blatantly one-sided it's been this generation of consoles, just the same winner. Second and third might differ, however.

Jonnyram said:
Which Famitsu is this supposedly in? I can't find it in mine.
well, considering this is gamefront, you can't really doubt their ability in getting news from famitsu early, they've been right too many times...

daegan

Juno said:
Well I'm not saying it's going to be along the lines of how blatantly one-sided it's been this generation of consoles, just the same winner. Second and third might differ, however.

I doubt that. You're aware that Nintendo has both a new Zelda and the first ever full-on Pokemon console game coming this fall, right? You're aware that MS is ramping down production of XBox also? This is going to be SNES/Genesis syndrome - SNES eked out a victory in the end because Sega stopped really supporting Genesis.

olimario

Banned
Revolution Hype because of
-The fact you can download NES, SNES, N64 (which they left out)
-Possibility of something new. Look at their arcades. New stuff is popular
-underwhelming showing of XBOX 360 and, to a lesser degree, Ps3

Azih said:
Though y'know considering that most of 'em are interested in the revolution convinces me that the famitsu audience isn't very representative ofthe Japanese market.

Nintendo's legions of adoring fanboys are clearly a global entity to be reckoned with.

Reminds me of polls years back on videogames.com/gamespot where the Saturn would often get a disproportunate representation. Ex: What's your favourite system going into the holidays?

Saturn: 38%
Nintendo 64: 45%
PSX: 17%

Azih said:

Yeah. Famitsu readers are probably hardcore gamers. Kind of like how the Nintendo fans on American/European message boards outnumber Microsoft and Sony fans combined. Sales in the regions however show that mainstream gamers are quite different. ^_^

bummyhead

well this goes to show you how different the japanese market is. gamers here scoffed at the revolution for the most part, while japanese seem to prefer it to all others so far.

amazing.

Auron

The Revolution will sound the most interesting to alot of people due to the download feature; that feature alone will seal the deal for old NES and SNES fans. For myself, the Revolution is the only console I know I have to own, though the PS3 and XBox will likely sell me when some good software comes along.

Top Bottom