• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu reviews (Jade Empire, Sly 2, Drag on Dragoon 2)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
old? i couldnt find this posted in search

from gamefront.de

Drag On Dragoon 2: Fuuin no Kurenai, Haitoku no Kuro (PS2, Square Enix): 8 / 8 / 7 / 7 - (30/40)
Chou Shittou Caduceus [Trauma Center: Under the Knife] (NDS, Atlus): 8 / 7 / 8 / 8 - (31/40)
Kaitou Sly Cooper 2 (PS2, Sony): 8 / 8 / 7 / 8 - (31/40)
Jade Empire (Xbox, Microsoft): 7 / 7 / 7 / 8 - (29/40)
Inuyasha: Ougi Ranbu (PS2, Bandai): 7 / 7 / 7 / 7 - (28/40)
Nonono Puzzle Chai-Rian (GBA, Nintendo): 7 / 7 / 7 / 6 - (27/40)
Baku-No [Smart Bomb] (PSP, Eidos): 6 / 6 / 7 / 7 - (26/40)

SpokkX

johnjohnson said:
I understand that Japanese people don't like Xbox and any of its games, but this score is a joke. They can't be serious.

most correct score yet..

game screams average except for

1. hype
2. graphics

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
<looks at thread>

HW555-MI.JPG

GMP2268.jpg

sprite4.jpg

Ah... all set.

IJoel

I wouldn't give JE a 9, but certainly more than an 8. I guess this just goes to show the difference between tastes for Japanese and American gamers.

Of course, the usual suspects come with the usual comments.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
IJoel said:
Of course, the usual suspects come with the usual comments.

"OMG THIS GAME IS AWESOME WTF?"

"Japanese people are dumb mini games rofl"

you mean these right

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
krypt0nian said:
Perhaps it lacked mini-games or a pet demon sim?

Japan - failed.

Actually, Jade Empire features plenty of mini-games and even offers that feature right from the main menu.

Not a big fan of the game, though.

Solid

but but ign gave jade empire a 9.9. therefore it's the best game this gen (with gta sa).

am i rite?

Usual suspects? I have not said anything negative about jade empire until this thread.

I was hyped for the game before i played it. The combat was utter crap. I mean cmon Dodge or blocka and keep tapping A ? what kind of crap is that? No kick button? no real combos? poor hit detection? It was basically a diablo clone with a different behind the person view.

Amir0x

Banned
One day we must find a score we all agree to hate from Famitsu so that we can finally condemn their shitty reviews once and for all. Famitsu is so worthless for reviews.

Sho Nuff

Banned
That's a high score considering it's a whitey game with Fake Asian overtones, and considering how Famitsu hates whitey games on principle, it's a miracle that the Fake Asianness didn't drop it down to 5 5 6 4 .

I predict this game sells 200 copies...why did they even bother localizing it?

3rdman

They have their own tastes...I never understood why their scores have any credence at all in the western market. Far someone in Japan, Jade Empire might be worth a "7" but I played it and LOVED it and its easily a "9" for me...who gives a shit.

I'd agree with that score. The game is ugly and boring, I stopped playing half way through I think, this place:

jadeempire5vz.jpg

jadeempire26uu.jpg

Is it about half way? Anyway I haven't played it since, a shit game overratted by the Western gaming press.

Famitsu is worthless and definately has a bias towards western games, but still JE has not been underrated by them interms of the score.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Amir0x said:
One day we must find a score we all agree to hate from Famitsu so that we can finally condemn their shitty reviews once and for all. Famitsu is so worthless for reviews.
How about Wind Waker?

Even the most ardent Zelda fan can not possibly believe that that game deserved a perfect score.

Amir0x

Banned
human5892 said:
How about Wind Waker?

Even the most ardent Zelda fan can not possibly believe that that game deserved a perfect score.

I was hoping the ridiculous Nintendogs score would unite us once and for all against the horrible Famitsu reviews, but perhaps the entertainment value alone is the redeeming factor behind it.

RuGalz

Go go Famitsu! Personally I'm glad I didn't waste my money to pick up Jade Empire LE based on all the hype. The game is really a 6 or 7 in my book.

Amir0x

Banned
Famitsu overrated Smartbomb, 6/6/7/7 is way too high for that abomination according to everyone competent who played it.

Also, Trauma Center is out in Japan? How come nobody has made a thread about it? Impressions stat.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Oh give me a break, Jade Empire definitely deserved that score... The fact that one of the biggest parts of an RPG, its combat, is so broken should be reason for that. Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, but not without its flaws, and it's definitely NOT a 9.9.

I'm rather impressed that it even came out in Japan, especially with all the text they had to localize, and the fact that it is lucky to sell 10,000 copies.

Unison

Wax Free Vanilla said:
I'd agree with that score. The game is ugly and boring, I stopped playing half way through I think, this place:

jadeempire5vz.jpg

jadeempire26uu.jpg

Is it about half way? Anyway I haven't played it since, a shit game overratted by the Western gaming press.

That's Chapter 2 or 3... I'd say when you're done with that, it's about halfway, even though there are 7 Chapters. The last 3-4 are incredibly brief in comparison.

dem

I thought people stopped caring about Famitsu years ago.

Dont their reviews translate to:
There is lots of bright colours. Animals make me smile. I feel happy.

?

AirBrian

Sho Nuff said:
That's a high score considering it's a whitey game with Fake Asian overtones, and considering how Famitsu hates whitey games on principle, it's a miracle that the Fake Asianness didn't drop it down to 5 5 6 4 .

I predict this game sells 200 copies...why did they even bother localizing it?
:lol

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Amir0x said:
I was hoping the ridiculous Nintendogs score would unite us once and for all against the horrible Famitsu reviews, but perhaps the entertainment value alone is the redeeming factor behind it.
Yeah, that's why I didn't go with Nintendogs. Between the "non-game" argument and everything else, you could probably justify the score. There's no chance with the Wind Waker though.

Redbeard

Banned
The 7s are a little too harsh. 8 is right on.

I'd agree with that score. The game is ugly and boring,

If you think Jade is ugly you don't know what ugly is. Even the pictures you use to illustrate your point are quite nice looking.

human5892 said:
How about Wind Waker?

I think people make too much of a game getting a combined score of 40/40. It's not perfect; just four people all happening to give it the rare score of "greater than 9".

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Screw you guys...

Wario64 said:
Chou Shittou Caduceus [Trauma Center: Under the Knife] (NDS, Atlus): 8 / 7 / 8 / 8 - (31/40)

Atlus has a sleeper here folks.

VALIS

RuGalz said:
Go go Famitsu! Personally I'm glad I didn't waste my money to pick up Jade Empire LE based on all the hype. The game is really a 6 or 7 in my book.

So you didn't pick it up, but the game is really a 6 or 7 in your book. Rental? And what didn't you like about the game, specifically? Humor me.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
JoshuaJSlone said:
I think people make too much of a game getting a combined score of 40/40. It's not perfect; just four people all happening to give it the rare score of "greater than 9".
By definition, that is a perfect score, though; it is the highest possible score that a game can receive. It's not just "greater than 9", it's "10" -- the maximum number of points to be alloted.

That's like having four different teachers grade a paper with each coming up with an "A+" and saying, "Well, it's not a perfect score, it's just greater than 90."

Vandiger

I'm sort of curious as to why they like Fable more than Jade Empire, would like to know thier reasoning for giving out these arbitrary values.

Top Bottom