• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu reviews (Jade Empire, Sly 2, Drag on Dragoon 2)

RuGalz

So you didn't pick it up, but the game is really a 6 or 7 in your book. Rental?
*wave friend's copy of Jade Empire that's sitting on the shelf* My friend doesn't even care to get it back cuz he's still pissed that he bought into the hype. :lol

bill0527

Jade Empire would have scored 9's across the board if only it had fleshed out the dating sim portion of the game between the lead character, the 2 lead females, and the one dude you can get gay with if you're a male character.

OR....

They could have just put a horse racing sim in between chapters instead of a generic flying shoot-em-up

Speevy

Banned
I wouldn't score it that low, but Jade Empire was a real disappointment for me.

I tend to agree with Gamespot's 8.4.

human5892 said:
By definition, that is a perfect score, though; it is the highest possible score that a game can receive. It's not just "greater than 9", it's "10" -- the maximum number of points to be alloted.

That's like having four different teachers grade a paper with each coming up with an "A+" and saying, "Well, it's not a perfect score, it's just greater than 90."
But there are only 10 possible scores (unless 0 is allowed). I don't think that gives enough room to vary between what is an A and what is an A+. There doesn't necessarily need to be much difference between a game that ends up with a combined 36 and a game that ends up with a combined 40. One was maybe hanging around the ~9.3 side of things in everyone's minds versus a ~9.6.

Yeah I hate to say it, but this is one time OXM actually came through for me. I am a HUGE Bioware fan. I wanted this game to be FANTASTIC. I was super-hyped for it, and I nabbed the issue with a demo the second I could. Then I played the demo several times (I had to be sure), and I just didn't like the game.

Oh well, heres hoping Dragon Age comes through! ;)

bill0527

Oracle Dragon said:
Yeah I hate to say it, but this is one tim OXM actually came through for me. I am a HUGE Bioware fan. I wanted this game to be FANTASTIC. I was super-hyped for it, and I nabbed the issue with a demo the second I could. Then I played the demo several times (I had to be sure), and I just didn't like the game.

Oh well, heres hoping Dragon Age comes through! ;)

Holy hell dude.

Tell me you didn't base your buying decision on that demo. Nobody was happy with that demo, including Bioware.

Even people that hated the final game have to admit the demo was even worse. Its nowhere near indicative of the final product.

SantaC

DarienA said:
<looks at thread>

HW555-MI.JPG

GMP2268.jpg

sprite4.jpg

Ah... all set.

:lol

e pluribus scrotum said:
jade empire Overrated :(

because small uninteractive Environments, load screens, broken character Advancement, a shitty camera, and buttonmash Combat arent as fun as greg kasavin would have you beleive

well, if you liked shenmue, je might be Right up your alley

WTF ?Shenmue 2 makes the jade empire world look really small and uninteresting.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The real crime is Sly 2 walking away with a 31. I suppose Famitsu gets points for not giving it the near perfect score treatment like us American dogs.

Seriously people, what justified all those 9's?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
djtiesto said:
Oh give me a break, Jade Empire definitely deserved that score... The fact that one of the biggest parts of an RPG, its combat, is so broken should be reason for that. Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, but not without its flaws, and it's definitely NOT a 9.9.

I'm rather impressed that it even came out in Japan, especially with all the text they had to localize, and the fact that it is lucky to sell 10,000 copies.

text? no voice acting in the game?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
quadriplegicjon said:
text? no voice acting in the game?

Well, all the text in JE is voiced. But it's a *TON* of text. I'd assume they were to keep the American voices, from what I've gathered is that originally, MS would re-voice the Japanese ports of their American titles, but most Japanese Xbox fans preferred the original, English voices.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
JoshuaJSlone said:
But there are only 10 possible scores (unless 0 is allowed). I don't think that gives enough room to vary between what is an A and what is an A+. There doesn't necessarily need to be much difference between a game that ends up with a combined 36 and a game that ends up with a combined 40. One was maybe hanging around the ~9.3 side of things in everyone's minds versus a ~9.6.
You have a point technically, but I think it'd be a lot stronger if Famitsu had a history of handing out 40s all the time (IIRC there are like less than seven games that have gotten a 40). The fact that they are so selective with them indicates that they feel only a select few games are worthy of them, and the fact that Wind Waker somehow makes this list (and Nintendogs, but like I said, I'm not touching that one) is ridiculous, IMO.

Could care less about most of the scores - I would have to be misguided to have hope in Drag-on Dragoon 2 - but Trauma Center, woooo!

duckroll

human5892 said:
You have a point technically, but I think it'd be a lot stronger if Famitsu had a history of handing out 40s all the time (IIRC there are like less than seven games that have gotten a 40). The fact that they are so selective with them indicates that they feel only a select few games are worthy of them, and the fact that Wind Waker somehow makes this list (and Nintendogs, but like I said, I'm not touching that one) is ridiculous, IMO.

Jonnyram has explained the Famitsu review structure before, but as usual this is GAF so people are more interested in throwing around opinions rather than getting informed on facts. It is true that Famitsu reviews are worthless in terms of scores but not for the reasons you have stated.

Famitsu is like EGM which runs of a 4-person review system, these 4 people are also supposed to be selected from a varied bunch of gamer personalities from hardcores to casuals. So basically what you have is the Famitsu lottery, a 40/40 game requires several things:

1) the 4 reviewers selected to review the game to all just happen to enjoy that genre a bunch
2) all 4 reviewers to feel the game deserves a 10 from them
3) all 4 reviewers to be MOTIVATED by whatever factors (be it pressure from the publisher or from Enterbrain themselves) to give the game a "very high score"

If any of these factors fail, the game will end up with at least one 9, failing it for 40/40. It's really that simple. A 40/40 doesn't mean that Famitsu feels the game is PERFECT, it just means that the game is something Enterbrain feels is a very important game and therefore has motivated the reviewers to give it a great score and at the same time all 4 reviewers just actually enjoyed the 10 mins of the game they played enough to want to give it a 10 each.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
duckroll said:
Jonnyram has explained the Famitsu review structure before, but as usual this is GAF so people are more interested in throwing around opinions rather than getting informed on facts.
Ironic, since you are not informed on the facts behind my opinions.

I know how Famitsu works, and I never stated that they believe Wind Waker is a perfect game. I said they gave it a perfect score. Which they did. And it is ridiculous. That's all.

e pluribus scrotum said:
jade empire Overrated :(

because small uninteractive Environments, load screens, broken character Advancement, a shitty camera, and buttonmash Combat arent as fun as greg kasavin would have you beleive

well, if you liked shenmue, je might be Right up your alley

Except Shenmue's fighting system is pretty much the best you're going to find outside of an actual fighting game.

Jonnyram has explained the Famitsu review structure before, but as usual this is GAF so people are more interested in throwing around opinions rather than getting informed on facts. It is true that Famitsu reviews are worthless in terms of scores but not for the reasons you have stated.

Famitsu is like EGM which runs of a 4-person review system, these 4 people are also supposed to be selected from a varied bunch of gamer personalities from hardcores to casuals. So basically what you have is the Famitsu lottery, a 40/40 game requires several things:

1) the 4 reviewers selected to review the game to all just happen to enjoy that genre a bunch
2) all 4 reviewers to feel the game deserves a 10 from them
3) all 4 reviewers to be MOTIVATED by whatever factors (be it pressure from the publisher or from Enterbrain themselves) to give the game a "very high score"

If any of these factors fail, the game will end up with at least one 9, failing it for 40/40. It's really that simple. A 40/40 doesn't mean that Famitsu feels the game is PERFECT, it just means that the game is something Enterbrain feels is a very important game and therefore has motivated the reviewers to give it a great score and at the same time all 4 reviewers just actually enjoyed the 10 mins of the game they played enough to want to give it a 10 each.

human5892 said:
Ironic, since you are not informed on the facts behind my opinions.

I know how Famitsu works, and I never stated that they believe Wind Waker is a perfect game. I said they gave it a perfect score. Which they did. And it is ridiculous. That's all.

After beating Jade Empire, I say that the scores are accurate. The camera was horrible, I beat the master with the axes from winning the imperial gold arena in two minutes, my thumb got sore from mashing A, the story didnt truly pan out effectively, and overall, one extra character is bleh!

I would rate the game a 7.9

Deku

Banned
Amir0x said:
I was hoping the ridiculous Nintendogs score would unite us once and for all against the horrible Famitsu reviews, but perhaps the entertainment value alone is the redeeming factor behind it.

People seem to enjoy nintendogs. There's no one to unite, except those who wish the DS to fail.

Tarazet

I was about to sell my copy of Jade Empire, because I haven't played it in a while. But before taking yet another $15 hit I switched it on again, and it just kept getting better. I need to play it through a few different ways and see if the story really does take meaningful twists if you act with a different attitude...

Amir0x

Banned
Deku said:
People seem to enjoy nintendogs. There's no one to unite, except those who wish the DS to fail.

Enjoying Nintendogs and knowing that the product does not deserve a 40/40 are two entirely seperate propositions. Reading the old hilarious Nintendogs thread, even people who have extensively played Nintendogs said the score was absurd.

It has nothing to do with wanting the DS to fail.

Dave Long

Banned
I gave Jade Empire 3 1/2 stars out of five at GamerDad. Computer Games Mag just gave it 3 out of 5 in their latest issue. The bottom line is that it's Bioware's weakest game since Shattered Steel, which might have been released before some of the Xbox fanboys were even born.

It's got a lot of recycled parts that are showing their age. The combat system is easily gamed for teh win. You really don't need more than the styles you begin the game with and one of the transformation styles to beat the game outright. The only reason to even dabble in the others is because you want to see what they do. They give you no incentive to use them. The story is decent, but the dialogue is just interminably overwrought and lengthy. You'll always be skipping the voice and reading ahead. Finally, the use of English speaking voice acting in a game set in the Far East just fails miserably to set the mood.

It's definitely a pretty game, but the stuff that matters just isn't all that great. If it was from anyone but Bioware, it probably would have scored much lower at the places that rated it highly.

Mode

reading this thread makes me wonder if there's a group of Japanese people doing the same thing as GAF when one of "their" games gets slightly lower scores than expected in a review.

" Virtua Fighter 3 would have scored 9's across the board if only it had a first person perspective, mouse support, and featured music from 50 Cent.

OR....

They could have just put an MMORPG or RTS in between chapters instead of a generic screen showing angry portraits of the characters fighting in the next battle.

SUGOOII!!!!!!"

I had finished Jade Empire a few days ago and just started Kingdom Hearts today. The similarities are a tad disturbing.

Bebpo

Banned
Man, we need more Drag-on 2 laughing and joking and less talk about JE.

I mean shit, when a SquareEnix "We like to advertise in your magazine" game gets a 30/40 you know that's more like a 25/40 which is pretty :lol

I guess Cavia didn't learn anything from the first game. Cancelling my pre-order today :)

gconsole

I understand that Japanese people don't like Xbox and any of its games, but this score is a joke. They can't be serious

Even the game is on PS2 or GC , it still get 29/40 from Famitsu , believe me :lol

JE is set in asian but its style is western , and all of you know that Japanese don't like western style game.

Deku

Banned
Attack You said:
I had finished Jade Empire a few days ago and just started Kingdom Hearts today. The similarities are a tad disturbing.

Maybe SE should sue. But anyways, at least KH has a great voice acting cast and a heart.

Dave Long

Banned
Attack You said:

Kingdom Hearts is just so freaking awful. God I hate that game. Jade Empire is a masterpiece by comparison.

Reilly

This is completely off topic, but is Kingdom Hearts worth getting? I'm in need of a PS2 game and right now it's between Katamari and KH. :)

AniHawk

Reilly said:
This is completely off topic, but is Kingdom Hearts worth getting? I'm in need of a PS2 game and right now it's between Katamari and KH. :)

Katamari Damacy >>> KH, but KH is a good game if you loved Disney movies as a kid.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
Katamari Damacy >>> KH, but KH is a good game if you loved Disney movies as a kid.

Of course, Kingdom Hearts is a much longer game... so depending on how long he wants the experience to last, KH might be the best choice ;)

Meier

I thought Jade Empire was a solid game, but the combat was definitely all button mashing and a bit tedious. Once you capped out your weapon skill, it was pretty ridiculously easy too. I thought the story was quite good however, which made up for it. It's probably an 8 at best though.

Dave Long

Banned
Reilly said:

You can probably guess what I'll say from the above post, but Katamari Damacy wins even if I liked Kingdom Hearts. Katamari is a brilliant piece of videogame and artistic design that culminates in one of the greatest final levels... well... ever. It's far more desirable.

Jonnyram

Bebpo said:
Man, we need more Drag-on 2 laughing and joking and less talk about JE.

I mean shit, when a SquareEnix "We like to advertise in your magazine" game gets a 30/40 you know that's more like a 25/40 which is pretty :lol

I guess Cavia didn't learn anything from the first game. Cancelling my pre-order today :)
Hmm, I dunno about that. I played a demo in a store here yesterday and the gameplay has been tidied up a bit. Also, if you're into the story, you might be interested to know that Caim and Angel are back in the sequel. I don't know how they're pulling it off storywise, but it pushes my anticipation up tenfold :)

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
Good ol Famitsu reviews. Might as well throw out some random numbers and then subtract 2 or so from each if it was developed on the wrong side of the Pacific.

duckroll

Jonnyram said:
Hmm, I dunno about that. I played a demo in a store here yesterday and the gameplay has been tidied up a bit. Also, if you're into the story, you might be interested to know that Caim and Angel are back in the sequel. I don't know how they're pulling it off storywise, but it pushes my anticipation up tenfold :)

Caim? Isn't that the guy in....... Lost Odyssey? :lol

Chrono

Banned
Mode said:
reading this thread makes me wonder if there's a group of Japanese people doing the same thing as GAF when one of "their" games gets slightly lower scores than expected in a review.

" Virtua Fighter 3 would have scored 9's across the board if only it had a first person perspective, mouse support, and featured music from 50 Cent.

OR....

They could have just put an MMORPG or RTS in between chapters instead of a generic screen showing angry portraits of the characters fighting in the next battle.

SUGOOII!!!!!!"

You know it would be cool to see what japanese message forums talk about. IGN's gaming in japan would rock if they translated/summarized selected threads on a popular board.

Top Bottom