• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FBI searching Annapolis GOP fundraising firm

' I don't believe there is an FBI raid going on'
*Photos of FBI raid*
' I dont believe this is the GOP offices'
*Photos of the FBI blacking out GOP offices show up*

" I don't​ believe this has anything to do with Trump'

C'mon guys, are you serious Lmao

That's not what Metroidvania said at all...just that this may not be the smoking gun. A very reasonable position to take right now.

Meanwhile, Comey--

MMpUgZa.gif

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
*Photos of FBI raid*

"Nothing will come of this," says increasingly nervous man for the seventh time this year.

Jackpot

Banned
*Photos of FBI raid*

"I'm not going go along with a random twitter account with no evidence purely because I want it to be true"
*evidence comes through*
"That's good. But it's still speculation to assume it's directly tied to Trump or Russia"
*waits for further evidence*

Look at those silly people, deciding their views based on evidence!

Not to be a wet blanket, but did the Strategic Campaign Group even work for Trump? From their site and LinkedIn account, this firm looks like any number of small generic partisan consulting firms offering services to any candidate affiliated with their preferred party. Frankly, it looks like they're more of a state-level consultant than a federal one.

...but even with the firm's focus being technology...
That's the first time in a long time I've seen this crap referred to as "technology."

*Photos of FBI raid*

after EVERYTHING thats happened, can you fault people for being skeptical?

I think were all on the same side here pretty much.. Nobody wants it to NOT be an FBI raid on GOP offices lol.

Waiting for properly vetted sources and reports with further details is not a bad thing. In fact considering this administrations love of declaring everything fake news i think its 100% necessary.

Not to be a wet blanket, but did the Strategic Campaign Group even work for Trump? From their site and LinkedIn account, this firm looks like any number of small generic partisan consulting firms offering services to any candidate affiliated with their preferred party. Frankly, it looks like they're more of a state-level consultant than a federal one.

If rumors are right, they are basically a money laundering front for Russia.

Jackpot

Banned
after EVERYTHING thats happened, can you fault people for being skeptical?

I think were all on the same side here pretty much.. Nobody wants it to NOT be an FBI raid on GOP offices lol.

Waiting for properly vetted sources and reports with further details is not a bad thing. In fact considering this administrations love of declaring everything fake news i think its 100% necessary.

yep, there are tons of posts in GAF threads quoting random tweets about "something big going down" or "It's going to drop sometime later this week". Even tweets saying Trump is going to resign because he hates the workload. Nothing ever came of them. This thread could turn out to be the next Watergate and it's still just a single result against hundreds of failures.

Lunar15

Who knows if this is actually connected to anything, but the timing is hilarious enough to me that it's probably planned by the FBI.

Elfstruck

That's the first time in a long time I've seen this crap referred to as "technology."

It's more about money laundering than anything.

They have a disbursement listed from the Trump Victory PAC for $13,208.34 for consulting services on 8/19/16. That week manafort resigned. Is it coincidence? Pay off for something? Who knows?!

(This is all wild speculation obvs)

https://beta.fec.gov/data/disbursem...paign&min_date=01/01/2015&max_date=12/31/2016

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I didn't care for this news until I saw local news confirming, then pictures to top it off. There is no point in saying you're not going to put weight unto anything until it had happened. A fucking random Twitter account brought this news to the front. Nothing matters and everything is possible.

Nafai1123

Banned

Don't the FBI typically only handle federal cases? If this was a state-level case why would the FBI be involved?

I mean, it was clearly something. The FBI doesn't raid a place and tape it off for no reason at all. The fact that it was so fast tells me they probably knew exactly what they were there for, got it, and left. We may not get to know what this is for a long time.

They have a disbursement listed from the Trump Victory PAC for $13,208.34 for consulting services on 8/19/16. That week manafort resigned. Is it coincidence? Pay off for something? Who knows?!

https://beta.fec.gov/data/disbursem...paign&min_date=01/01/2015&max_date=12/31/2016

Definitely an interesting coincidence there.

I didn't care for this news until I saw local news confirming, then pictures to top it off. There is no point in saying you're not going to put weight unto anything until it had happened. A fucking random Twitter account brought this news to the front. Nothing matters and everything is possible.

right, including them being raided for health inspection violations or something dumb.

we have no idea why they are there. just that they are there.

errybody callllm down

WarMacheen

Meanwhile, Comey--

MMpUgZa.gif

Yep, lost it, excellent post sir.

Also what would happen, hypothetically speaking, if the entire GOP apparatus was to crumble leaving one legitimate party. I know there is the green party and independents, but really only the Republicans and Democrats have a legitimate shot at the Presidency.

also watching, Designated Survivor, I vote for Keifer Sutherland as President.

Morts

Seems way too early to link this to any Trump stuff (which is obviously heating up, but there's nothing connecting this story yet).

Yep, lost it, excellent post sir.

Also what would happen, hypothetically speaking, if the entire GOP apparatus was to crumble leaving one legitimate party. I know there is the green party and independents, but really only the Republicans and Democrats have a legitimate shot at the Presidency.

I mean, in that super fantasy scenario I really have no idea what would happen. I would say Congress would call for a special election in which every absent seat is open. But it's such an out there thing, it's impossible to really say what would happen.

chadskin

WaPo: https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...949a9e-367a-11e7-b373-418f6849a004_story.html

Federal authorities on Thursday searched a political consulting firm in Annapolis that has worked with Republican candidates nationwide and was sued in 2014 on allegations of fraudulent fundraising practices.

The Strategic Campaign Group bills itself as helping Republican candidates for every step of a campaign. Its principals are GOP strategists Kelley Rogers and Chip O’Neil.

Rogers said in an interview that FBI agents had collected documents related to the firm’s direct mail and fundraising practices.

Lindsay Ram, a spokeswoman for the FBI field office in Washington, confirmed that agents were “conducting law enforcement activity in Annapolis, off Main Street.” She said no additional information would be made public by the agency on Thursday.

Um... actually that was a disbursement to Strategic Campaign Consulting based in Georgia, not Strategic Campaign Group based in Maryland. As are all of the Trump Victory disbursements. That said, $13k is a totally reasonable invoice for campaign consultants. It might be something nefarious, but it might also be a direct mail piece.

Yes, the FBI accidentally sent too many people to raid them. It's all a misunderstanding.
The FBI sends teams for all sorts of cases, not just LIL HANDS IS GOIN DOWN! ones.

Don't the FBI typically only handle federal cases? If this was a state-level case why would the FBI be involved?
I'm not saying it's a state case, I'm saying it's a predominantly state-level consulting firm. Most of their federal level clients are B-tier primary losers. FLS-DCI this is not.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Just hypothetically speaking here but let's say they find enough damning evidence to impeach Trump and overthrow the GOP entirely based on their findings, who becomes president in that scenario?

I 'd imagine Trump is going down with the ship and taking Pence with him. But Ryan comes across as a sniveling little weasel and maybe he steps down in an attempt to save his own ass before shit hits the fan. In that case, the House would have to chose a new Speaker pretty much immediately, so who knows who could be next in line.

Skatterd

Um... actually that was a disbursement to Strategic Campaign Consulting based in Georgia, not Strategic Campaign Group based in Maryland. As are all of the Trump Victory disbursements. That said, $13k is a totally reasonable invoice for campaign consultants. It might be something nefarious, but it might also be a direct mail piece.

Yeah you're right
Strategic campaign consulting's web presence/lack of existence is even more baffling
http://strategiccampaignconsulting.com/

Top Bottom