• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Feathered dinosaur tail found trapped in amber

Status
Not open for further replies.
From CBC

feathered-dinosaur.jpg

"This is the first time that skeletal material from a dinosaur has been found in amber," Xing told the CBC. "Previous finds in amber have included isolated feathers that may have belonged to dinosaurs, but without an identifiable part of the body included, their source has remained open to debate.

Also part of the study was the Royal Saskatchewan Museum. Ryan McKellar, curator of invertebrate palaeontology, was involved in specimen photography and feather-work, determining what happened between when the dinosaur died and when it was trapped.

"It's spectacular," he told the CBC. "Because this is the first time we're seeing dinosaur material preserved in amber where we know for sure that we're dealing with dinosaur as opposed to bird material because we've got the skeletal material there, not just the feathers."

More at the source. Meteor my ass if old.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
wtf, so we thought dinosaurs didn't have feathers for all this time, now that we think they do we find proof like a year later

BlackJet

Nope it's just a hoax I don't believe you.

Am I mistaken or was there evidence that chickens are genetically related to the t-rex?

Sheroking

wtf, so we thought dinosaurs didn't have feathers for all this time, now that we think they do we find proof like a year later

Some, if not most, dinosaurs being feathered has been a well regarded theory for quite a lot longer than 1 year.

People were saying the Jurassic Park interpretation wasn't highly accurate in the 90's, especially where the Raptors were concerned.

Pejo

Maybe since we were wrong about the feather thing for so long, we're wrong in reverse about it now. Maybe this particular dinosaur was just into cosplay or something.

lawnchair

Banned
so we now know that there were some tiny lil dinosaurs that at some point in their lifespan had feathers.

this isnt "T REX WAS COVERED IN FEATHERS" so i'm okay

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Uh they've thought dinosaurs had feathers for a while now...like at least a decade.

uh, research suggested that for a loooooong time now, like multiple decades.

Some, if not most, dinosaurs being feathered has been a well regarded theory for quite a lot longer than 1 year.

People were saying the Jurassic Park interpretation wasn't highly accurate in the 90's, especially where the Raptors were concerned.

oh wow. never knew that. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom