• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7 Remake Removed From PS Store "Console Exclusives" Section.

Lognor

Banned
Meltdowns will happen in that thread. After all it’s a thread that many are heavily invested in.

Also thanks for dropping the criminal charges.
LOL, heavily invested in? You mean the avatar bets? Is that a heavy investment? Haha...not sure about that. But maybe in terms of neogaf only you could consider the responses a meltdown, but it will be very tame. Otherwise there will be mass bans. Nothing similar to what we see on twitter. I don't think we'll see much chatter on twitter. Six months is not make or break for either side. Look at the Starfield delay. Sure there was some gloating and some disappointment from different groups but nothing I would call a meltdown. If you think the reaction on the Starfield delay led to meltdowns, okay we can call it that if you wish and we'll likely see similar reactions to GOW2 either being delayed or not. It's not how I define a meltdown, but if that is what makes you happy fine.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
You will probably have better luck asking Pete Hines these questions over twitter.

He can also probably tell us if there was indeed an in-development builds of Starfield and TES VI canceled by MS like the original user claimed to have known.
So now you are going to pretend Starfield, next Doom, Wolfenstein, TES VI and Indiana Jones were never planned to come out on PS5 before the MS purchase?

Mr Rogers Clown GIF

FF7R is on PC/Steam, that's enough according to y’all. Just get a tablet and stream, it's the future 🤡

LOL, heavily invested in? You mean the avatar bets? Is that a heavy investment? Haha...not sure about that. But maybe in terms of neogaf only you could consider the responses a meltdown, but it will be very tame. Otherwise there will be mass bans. Nothing similar to what we see on twitter. I don't think we'll see much chatter on twitter. Six months is not make or break for either side. Look at the Starfield delay. Sure there was some gloating and some disappointment from different groups but nothing I would call a meltdown. If you think the reaction on the Starfield delay led to meltdowns, okay we can call it that if you wish and we'll likely see similar reactions to GOW2 either being delayed or not. It's not how I define a meltdown, but if that is what makes you happy fine.

Well I’m glad that you agree with me. Look forward to enjoying those meltdowns.

Also Twitter is Twitter you should know that it’s filled with crazy people. Crazy Xbox fans, crazy PlayStation fans and crazy Nintendo fans. People posting about GPUs in the power supply and about secret patches that will double a systems performance. Even seen one guy make multiple claims of the PS5 not even existing and that it was a scam. I wouldn’t use Twitter to gauge the general public like you are.

SSfox

You know how I don't buy this report? They would have to honor the contract, like they did with Deathloop and the like.

This was all BS, but for those knuckleheads to act like Skyrim on every device known to man for 3 gens now, would not have Starfield multi-plat... are being disingenuous clowns.
Naamloos-1.jpg

Swift_Star

Banned
So now you are going to pretend Starfield, next Doom, Wolfenstein, TES VI and Indiana Jones were never planned to come out on PS5 before the MS purchase?

Mr Rogers Clown GIF

FF7R is on PC/Steam, that's enough according to y’all. Just get a tablet and stream, it's the future 🤡
He’s always disingenuous when it comes to MS paying for exclusivity or buying publishers, we all know that. It’s always fine when MS does it but when it comes to Sony, he bitches to kingdom come. Why doesn’t he buy a PlayStation already?

Last edited:
Talk about moving the goal posts lol. The dude said he hated exclusive. He didnt say if they were 1st party or 3rd party so why would that distinction without a difference matter?

Season 4 Episode 6 GIF by The Office

He definitely could have said it differently.

As for exclusives in general they are a necessary evil in the market. It’s all part of product differentiation and helps promote competition.

Last edited:
Agreed.

I think if anything, CCremake might be them testing the waters to even see if a base exist at all to even put FFVII remake on XB to begin with.

Yeah, especially since it's not going into GamePass. If the sales on Xbox are very good (say, over 20% of total sales), then that might be a good indicator to them to consider bringing other FF projects maybe even FF VII Remake to the platform (though I think Sony probably have something set up where all three parts are covered under some lump exclusivity period so none of the remake parts may even be eligible for other consoles until after 2026, if they stick to 3 years for each part).

However if they're under that amount, or severely so, then that might seriously constrain future porting efforts to Xbox not just for most FF games but also other SE JRPGs like Star Ocean (which has a new game also coming to Xbox, again could be a test to see how well such a game would actually sell on Xbox platforms).

Sega said they will change their focus to go full multiplatform (including subs oo), to release day one their games in all countries and to increase their efforts in localization. So I assume it means in the future Persona, Yakuza, Shin Megami Tensei or Bayonetta should be everywhere.

I don't know about Bayonetta; Nintendo's been publishing the series for the long while, haven't they? I know they've at least co-developed the second game and are working on the third game right now.

The whole thing of Sega going multiplatform could really be one of two things, but I think it's a mix of more games actually launching on all available platforms and some of other games maybe going to specific platform(s) but doing so with individual games to different specific platforms, which is still "multiplatform" in a sense.

I mean look at the Yakuza series; mainly PlayStation, more recently PC and Xbox, still no Switch. SMT 5 is exclusive to Switch (it MAY get a PC port in the future), VF5: Ultimate Showdown PS-exclusive, etc. There might still be incentives for them to do some of that going forward, but I do agree that they'll try pushing more IP/games to as many platforms simultaneously as possible. Though...

I agree they are going in this direction, but I believe its only if they actually gain something from it. If they don't get much sales, I believe they will go back.

...they can also adjust those plans, as you said. Soul Hackers 2 might be a test in that regard, considering it won't be a GamePass Day 1 release, so they'll want to see what the ratio of sales are there compared to PlayStation and PC. It's possible Sega & Microsoft have some kind of agreement where they expect a minimum of sales/revenue from the game on Xbox and if it isn't met, MS pays the difference and some extra stuff on top to bring the game to GamePass a little after the launch period.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

It doesn't matter one way or the other now, Bethesda is a first party studio now. Comparing their scenario to SE's money hatting a third party game is not the same thing.

I don't recall anyone getting this outraged when Sony bought Insomniac but the Bethesda blow has struck a deep wound for some.

Swift_Star

Banned
It doesn't matter one way or the other now, Bethesda is a first party studio now. Comparing their scenario to SE's money hatting a third party game is not the same thing.

I don't recall anyone getting this outraged when Sony bought Insomniac but the Bethesda blow has struck a deep wound for some.
Also doesn’t matter in FF’s case since Sony clearly paid for the main series to be exclusive to PlayStation. Same case scenario. On both cases, games are being kept out of the competitor’s platforms.
Also Insomniac didn’t have multiple beloved IPs, Bethesda has those.
Stop being disingenuous.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I'm sure the 5 people who bought Sunset Overdrive are pissed there won't be another one on Xbox.

They aren't really comparable though, one is a publisher with lots of multiplat games, the other is Insomniac.

Lognor

Banned
Well I’m glad that you agree with me. Look forward to enjoying those meltdowns.

Also Twitter is Twitter you should know that it’s filled with crazy people. Crazy Xbox fans, crazy PlayStation fans and crazy Nintendo fans. People posting about GPUs in the power supply and about secret patches that will double a systems performance. Even seen one guy make multiple claims of the PS5 not even existing and that it was a scam. I wouldn’t use Twitter to gauge the general public like you are.
But twitter is where you get the meltdowns. You gotta go there if you want to see it. It's some funny shit. Did you see all the meltdowns after the Persona and Kojima announcements? It was glorious! That won't fly here (which is a good thing). But I love the meltdowns. Hilarious. With GOW2 it won't happen (no reason for it to). But I'm curious, do you "look forward to enjoying those meltdowns" if GOW2 is delayed???

yurinka

I agree they are going in this direction, but I believe its only if they actually gain something from it. If they don't get much sales, I believe they will go back.
Obviously their idea is to make more money. And well, it makes sense to think they'll make more money releasing in more platforms, to release in all countries at the same time and with proper localization.

Games like Persona or Yakuza being released only in English in non-English speaking countries and super late compared to other countries wasn't a good idea. If they release in all platforms at the same time and properly localizing their games they'll be able to use a single and more effective worldwide marketing campaign.

Last edited:

yurinka

I don't know about Bayonetta; Nintendo's been publishing the series for the long while, haven't they? I know they've at least co-developed the second game and are working on the third game right now.
Nintendo moneyhatted and published Bayonetta 2 and 3. But Sega owns the IP, so Sega can do whatever they want with future entries. In the same way that Nintendo moneyhatted Monster Hunter Rise but Capcom can continue releasing Monster Hunter games in other platforms.

The whole thing of Sega going multiplatform could really be one of two things, but I think it's a mix of more games actually launching on all available platforms and some of other games maybe going to specific platform(s) but doing so with individual games to different specific platforms, which is still "multiplatform" in a sense.

I mean look at the Yakuza series; mainly PlayStation, more recently PC and Xbox, still no Switch. SMT 5 is exclusive to Switch (it MAY get a PC port in the future), VF5: Ultimate Showdown PS-exclusive, etc. There might still be incentives for them to do some of that going forward, but I do agree that they'll try pushing more IP/games to as many platforms simultaneously as possible. Though...
I think many of these games may end being timed exclusives as happened with Persona, and future entries will be multiplatform since day one and this seems to be their focus for future titles. But yes, there may still be timed exclusives for all platforms. But not as frequently as before.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned

When you complete forget Microsoft was in a shopping spree lol

But twitter is where you get the meltdowns. You gotta go there if you want to see it. It's some funny shit. Did you see all the meltdowns after the Persona and Kojima announcements? It was glorious! That won't fly here (which is a good thing). But I love the meltdowns. Hilarious. With GOW2 it won't happen (no reason for it to). But I'm curious, do you "look forward to enjoying those meltdowns" if GOW2 is delayed???

I'm actually looking forward to both. I did enjoy the FF7 meltdowns. But we know that both fanbases have crazy people on Twitter.

As for GoW crazy Xbox fans will get pissed if it releases on time because they are still hurt by Starfields delay. And if GoW gets delayed crazy PlayStation fans are going to get pissed at SSM for getting their hopes up.

Neofire

Season 4 Episode 6 GIF by The Office

He definitely could have said it differently.

As for exclusives in general they are a necessary evil in the market. It’s all part of product differentiation and helps promote competition.
I don't know about having choice's in products is evil but I agree the overall summation of the need for exclusives.

I'm actually looking forward to both. I did enjoy the FF7 meltdowns. But we know that both fanbases have crazy people on Twitter.

As for GoW crazy Xbox fans will get pissed if it releases on time because they are still hurt by Starfields delay. And if GoW gets delayed crazy PlayStation fans are going to get pissed at SSM for getting their hopes up.
We all know the real GoW, it's Gears of War....

Lognor

Banned

Yeah, the meltdowns around Kojima and Persona were fantastic.
I don't see Xbox fans getting pissed. LOL. The game is currently announced for 2022. If it got pushed to 2023 that would be a surprise. Can't see people getting pissed for a game that releases in the year it was slated for. lol

Swift_Star

Banned
I don't see Xbox fans getting pissed. LOL. The game is currently announced for 2022. If it got pushed to 2023 that would be a surprise. Can't see people getting pissed for a game that releases in the year it was slated for. lol
You were having meltdowns the other day because Starfield was delayed and Ragnarok wasn’t.
The lack of self awareness is amusing. 😂

Now that CC remaster comes to Xbox I hope we won’t see anyone ever again arguing there was no moneyhat for FF7R and it was just Square not seeing any market potential.

If it’s considered viable for Square to port a remake of an obscure PSP game then it’s most likely not Square making the decision to keep 7R exclusive.

Some other people pretty much answered this but, yeah, you can't really assume that FF VII Remake was a moneyhat. It's been shown already that Sony tend to help co-fund and co-develop games of this nature like with SFV on PS4 (and that one was also likely an opportunity MS passed on due to bad priorities that generation).

FF VII Remake was announced in 2015, that's right within the time frame of when MS was making some questionably poor gaming decisions and passing up on some big opportunities as we've come to find out this year. It's more likely that Sony offered to help co-fund and co-develop a FF VII Remake project with Square-Enix and SE said "cool". That could have potentially been MS, but it's not surprising it didn't end up that way. I mean we now know they also passed up on KOTOR Remake and that was a lot more recent.

I also don't get the anger in directing moneyhat outrage to the company getting the moneyhat, or even the company providing the game to be moneyhatted. It's not like other platform holders, MS in this case, lack the money to bid on 3P exclusives. It comes down to a platform holder either seeing or not seeing value in getting that 3P game as a console exclusive, so if you're mad a certain game isn't exclusive to your platform (or on your preferred platform at all), then maybe ask why the company who owns that platform didn't compete enough to acquire the exclusivity rights to that 3P game for you and the rest of the audience for that platform.

True.

I feel if you are Square, you are correct to go this route. They tried with XB, it just moves too little units, so when Sony comes in with money, why say no when you know you'll just sell a small amount on XB anyway?

Putting it on PS first of course will have XB maintain a small JRPG community compared to PS, but look at it like this....they had several titles from FFXV to KH3 to show if a large base on XB would actually buy it DAY 1 and Square got their answer, thus they are ok with the money hat.

I think it makes sense for both Square and Sony and even MS. If such a small base buys it on XB, its not even a massive loss to that base in the first place. They'll play it years later no different, so I think the set up works for 3 companies.

That's a good way to look at it tbh. I think if it were older generations like PS2/Xbox/Gamecube then I could see a publisher like SE probably justifying bringing their games to more platforms Day 1 if install base were somewhat close between them, even amid the extra work in the actual ports (due to exotic custom architecture differences). Of course we didn't see that during 6th gen because PS2 pulled so far ahead in install base that publishers like SE didn't lose much anything keeping their games exclusive to one platform.

Nowadays with budgets being so big and time to make AAA games being so much longer it theoretically makes sense to do Day 1 on multiple platforms, but if you have stuff like a certain platform holder covering a significant portion of dev costs, resources etc. and other platform options have data proving the audience for that type of game isn't really there, then you might ironically get a repeat of some things seen in 6th gen but for different reasons.

Agreed. I always associate FF with PS, so I always buy it there. Although, I almost bought FFX because of autoHDR on Xbox.

TBF, before FF became associated with Sony, it was associated with Nintendo. So it's kind of weird because for some people who've played the series long enough, they might still associate it with both but the Nintendo association is mainly for legacy reasons.

Its just the vocal minority on twitter / forums. I'm sure SE and other Jrpgs publishers have a bunch of data that suggests that releasing their games on the Xbox (without any upfront cash from MS) is just not worth it for them since their audience aren't buying these type of games, hence why we see many games skipping the Xbox platfrom due to the low unit sales.

However, now with the introduction of Gamepass and the financial incentives from Microsoft to put these type of games on the service, we are starting to see some of these games on Xbox on Gamepass years later from their initial release dates. It makes no financial sense for them to put their games on Gamepass day one, contrary to MS claims that Gamepass increases games sales.

So yeah, if you want to play these type of games day one, get a Playstation. No need to port beg and hope that one day you'll play it on your console of choice.

Pretty much; by now it should be obvious what type of consoles you need if you want to guarantee you can play certain games or genre types. If you want the most access to the most JRPGs as soon as possible, get a Switch and PlayStation. If you want all the fighting games, get a PlayStation (& PC). If you want as many WRPGs as possible, get an Xbox (or PC). FPS? Get an Xbox (or PC). Platformers? Get a Switch. VR? Get a PlayStation (and PC). Third-person action-adventure games? Get a PlayStation.

This shouldn't be too crazy to think about by now; each system has certain strengths and weaknesses in certain genres so your best bet is to get as many platforms as possible

Nice to see Sony didn't forget about their legacy and identity. Hopefully Persona 6 will be PS5 exclusive as well.

I guess they're doing a decent job at it, but they could be doing a lot more TBH. Even with the PS1/2/3/PSP stuff, they should hopefully be getting more games up for them sooner rather than later. I hope they can provide English translations for previous Japan-only games, too. Also has it been explained why no PS Vita support? They should also hopefully be looking into native PS3 downloads on PS5 but that could take a while.

There are a lot of smaller IP tied to Sony's legacy that they're still sleeping on. Some games I'd love to see come back like Parappa/UmJammer, Tomba!, Jumping Flash, Puppeteer, Tearaway, Echochrome, even stuff like Jet Moto. Those aren't games that need huge budgets, and I think with their PS+ revamp and what they're doing with games like Stray, could give some hope that they bring back some of those smaller but loved IP in a way where they're viable for Day 1 in something like PS+ Extra or Premium, as well as for digital download or special collector editions for physical (for some of them, where it makes sense).

If they can start doing more of that alongside what they're already doing, then I think they'll be doing their legacy a lot of good service. But at least they are making improvements there.

Lognor

Banned
You were having meltdowns the other day because Starfield was delayed and Ragnarok wasn’t.
The lack of self awareness is amusing. 😂
The other day? Starfield was delayed more than a month ago. And there has been no indication if GOW2 has or has not been delayed so I don't know why I would have allegedly being melting down the other day. Timing doesn't work. LOL

Nah it’s mostly just console warriors on Twitter that are pissed.

Wah my toy got taken away now I’m going to break yours

That kind of thing and yes it’s pretty evident who is effected by it.

Swift_Star

Banned
The other day? Starfield was delayed more than a month ago. And there has been no indication if GOW2 has or has not been delayed so I don't know why I would have allegedly being melting down the other day. Timing doesn't work. LOL
Yes, the other day. Actually, you’re always having meltdowns. You had one yesterday when you realized Remake isn’t coming to Xbox and were trying to cope by passing xenoblade as bigger than FF, which failed miserably. You’re the king of meltdowns.

So FF7 Remake part 3 comes out in late 2024? I'll just wait until 2025 so I can get it all at once.
That's fine, but you fo realize this isn't a remake now? Rebirth is even a standalone story that Square says stands on its own without needing to play FF7 OR FF7 Remake.

This would be liking refusing to play Mass Effect 1 until Mass Effect 3 relessed, as that was also announced as a trilogy at launch.

Corndog

Banned
Why are certain xbox fans so mad about this? The final fantasy fans are on PS. The ip has been associated with them pretty much since the ps1 days when the original ff7 went exclusive to sony. It's a no brainer to make this deal and benefits both sony and square enix. With how little it sells on xbox, it's an easy deal to make for sony to strengthen their own brand. Its just business. Who or what's stopping you from buying a ps5 to play it if you love the ip so much?
Ff7 was not exclusive to PlayStation. It was on pc. That’s how I played it.

Nah, he had it coming and not just in this thread...Believe me if it was not you it could've been anyone else.

That's not true. That person was in multiple threads with seemingly only warring in mind. That's on him, not you.

I guess him accusing me of wanting to hurt him made it a bit unbearable. I would never send death threats to anyone nor would I hurt anyone over something so stupid as an argument on a video game forum. I’m not that crazy.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I guess him accusing me of wanting to hurt him made it a bit unbearable. I would never send death threats to anyone nor would I hurt anyone over something so stupid as an argument on a video game forum. I’m not that crazy.
That's just how he acts baiting, baiting and provoking then pulls a uno with his last and most trusted "Victim Card"...And the mods have seen through his bullshit since he got baned and not you...So don't sweat it, it was bound to happen and will probably happen again.

That's just how he acts baiting, baiting and provoking then pulls a uno with his last and most trusted "Victim Card"...And the mods have seen through his bullshit since he got baned and not you...So don't sweat it, it was bound to happen and will probably happen again.

Yes I’m not going to worry about it. If I did something wrong I’m sure I would have gotten a warning. I guess I learned the hard way to not deal with individuals like him. People that look for fights here usually don’t last long. I’ll let him decide if he wants to participate in our discussions.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
I guess they're doing a decent job at it, but they could be doing a lot more TBH. Even with the PS1/2/3/PSP stuff, they should hopefully be getting more games up for them sooner rather than later. I hope they can provide English translations for previous Japan-only games, too. Also has it been explained why no PS Vita support? They should also hopefully be looking into native PS3 downloads on PS5 but that could take a while.

There are a lot of smaller IP tied to Sony's legacy that they're still sleeping on. Some games I'd love to see come back like Parappa/UmJammer, Tomba!, Jumping Flash, Puppeteer, Tearaway, Echochrome, even stuff like Jet Moto. Those aren't games that need huge budgets, and I think with their PS+ revamp and what they're doing with games like Stray, could give some hope that they bring back some of those smaller but loved IP in a way where they're viable for Day 1 in something like PS+ Extra or Premium, as well as for digital download or special collector editions for physical (for some of them, where it makes sense).

If they can start doing more of that alongside what they're already doing, then I think they'll be doing their legacy a lot of good service. But at least they are making improvements there.

I think for the situation involving Vita, the reason we're really not seeing any push by Sony to include Vita titles may very well be because most of the best Vita games already have a version that exists for PS4, and thus PS5 as well.

Gravity Rush, Tearaway, Dragon's Crown, Guacamelee!, Odin Sphere, WipeOut 2048, Rayman Origins and Legends, Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD, Rogue Legacy, Terraria, Spelunky, Velocity 2X... I could go on but I think you got the picture 6 games in. Persona 4 Golden, possibly the best game on Vita, already has a PC version and now we know that a PlayStation console version is coming.

Really, at this point, Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Killzone: Mercenary are the only two notable Vita titles that haven't received that treatment. And because you have to adapt the controls, like the touchscreen and back touchpad, it's almost certain we'd just get remasters or enhanced PS4/PS5 port-ups of those games than for Sony to straight port the Vita titles to PS+.

As for legacy games, I totally agree with you and it's something I was saying before the PS+ revamp. That Sony could counter Xbox with their own Day 1 first-party games, just not the really big and expensive ones. If a Concrete Genie 2 or MediEvil 2 remaster were on the horizon, I would absolutely make those games Day 1 for PS+ Extra or Premium. Since Sony seems to want any remasters of PS3 games on down to be considered Classic Premium-tier games. Inexpensive titles that probably wouldn't sell tons of copies anyways but add value to the subscription service.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Yes I’m going to worry about it. If I did something wrong I’m sure I would have gotten a warning. I guess I learned the hard way to not deal with individuals like him. People that look for fights here usually don’t last long. I’ll let him decide if he wants to participate in our discussions.
Yep some people here are acting agressive the first second they hear something they disagree with...I don't blame them, we've all had bad days but when it gets systematic then thank god there is an ignore button.I don't think I ever used the report button because I think ignoring people is a good middleground (though I haven't encountered really problematic posts promoting hatred, in that case report seems necessary).
Funnily enough I encountered plenty of hatred filled posts on REE, weird for a so called inclusve forum.

Starcheif

That's fine, but you fo realize this isn't a remake now? Rebirth is even a standalone story that Square says stands on its own without needing to play FF7 OR FF7 Remake.

This would be liking refusing to play Mass Effect 1 until Mass Effect 3 relessed, as that was also announced as a trilogy at launch.
What? It is a Remake of FF7 but I understand Rebirth is a stand alone game.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
He’s always disingenuous when it comes to MS paying for exclusivity or buying publishers, we all know that. It’s always fine when MS does it but when it comes to Sony, he bitches to kingdom come. Why doesn’t he buy a PlayStation already?
Most of them also have Playstations but they want Xbox to get all the 3rd-party games just for bragging rights.

I will never forget the way they were cheering when the spreadsheet company bought Activision. They were sure all the CODs, Diablo and Overwatch on PlayStation were cancelled 😅

Walmart spilling that hot tea. Stay pressed.

Top Bottom