• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7 Remake Removed From PS Store "Console Exclusives" Section.

Mephisto40

Starfield is a first party game.

Final Fantasy is not.
XhfRhni.gif

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
To be fair that's alot of the threads on this community.

Alot of bad faith comments here and on the internet.
And don't forget some gotcha moments just for the sake of it, even about games that, most of the times, the posters don't care about.Just play what you want, this ain't a sport team vs another.

Edit: Did you steal some of that IbizaPocholo IbizaPocholo speed, you were so quick to like I wasn't even sure I clicked on the post button.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
C’mon, Xbox have several exclusives developed by non first party developers already out and planned that will never be out on PS consoles. This is how stuff works and it won’t change for a long time, if ever.
Did Sony pay square to make ff7r a first party game? Nope. Does Sony own the ip? Nope.

Chukhopops

Now that CC remaster comes to Xbox I hope we won’t see anyone ever again arguing there was no moneyhat for FF7R and it was just Square not seeing any market potential.

If it’s considered viable for Square to port a remake of an obscure PSP game then it’s most likely not Square making the decision to keep 7R exclusive.

Zatzuken

We live in a world where MS came along and scooped up both Bethesda and Activision Blizzard, people now talk about games like Starfield as if they were first party and in house at MS all along, that’s bullshit, they took games away from other people and everyone cheered.

So honestly I’m glad Sonys putting some cash out there to secure these games, end of the day I payed money for my console and it’s shit watching MS with infinite money just go round scooping up massive publishers and taking things away from me.

That’s my selfish fanboy rant

EDMIX

We live in a world where MS came along and scooped up both Bethesda and Activision Blizzard, people now talk about games like Starfield as if they were first party and in house at MS all along, that’s bullshit, they took games away from other people and everyone cheered.

So honestly I’m glad Sonys putting some cash out there to secure these games, end of the day I payed money for my console and it’s shit watching MS with infinite money just go round scooping up massive publishers and taking things away from me.

True, you have to consider that Starfield was announced and known to all of us already, so at the very least something like FFVII remake from the start was told to be some timed exclusive thing.

Banned

single system andys out here talking about things being taken away from them
Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

rofif

Banned

That's not wrong

EDMIX

If I am not mistaken the original game received A Sony's founding. Maybe beyond some kind of money-hat with this remake, there is some kind of legal stuff and legacy implications. Who knows.

I don't think thats the case with this, though Sony funding the first game and funding this, likely means they indeed have some long term deal with those other versions like the parts coming out. I don't however think its based on some legal thing from the original's funding or something though.

I don't think thats the case with this, though Sony funding the first game and funding this, likely means they indeed have some long term deal with those other versions like the parts coming out. I don't however think its based on some legal thing from the original's funding or something though.
Yeah, I think so too. It's just that FF7 was the first FF game on PS (afters being a Nintendo franchise) with PlayStation FF reached the next level on the videogame zeitgeist.

So to me, this exclusivity is more like honoring the past....with a ton of money from soney. Plus.....these game tend to sell way better in PS hardware than Xbox's, for this reason, I think SE was more willing to take the bait.

EDMIX

Yeah, I think so too. It's just that FF7 was the first FF game on PS (afters being a Nintendo franchise) with PlayStation FF reached the next level on the videogame zeitgeist.

So to me, this exclusivity is more like honoring the past....with a ton of money from soney. Plus.....these game tend to sell way better in PS hardware than Xbox's, for this reason, I think SE was more willing to take the bait.

True.

I feel if you are Square, you are correct to go this route. They tried with XB, it just moves too little units, so when Sony comes in with money, why say no when you know you'll just sell a small amount on XB anyway?

Putting it on PS first of course will have XB maintain a small JRPG community compared to PS, but look at it like this....they had several titles from FFXV to KH3 to show if a large base on XB would actually buy it DAY 1 and Square got their answer, thus they are ok with the money hat.

I think it makes sense for both Square and Sony and even MS. If such a small base buys it on XB, its not even a massive loss to that base in the first place. They'll play it years later no different, so I think the set up works for 3 companies.

Why are certain xbox fans so mad about this? The final fantasy fans are on PS. The ip has been associated with them pretty much since the ps1 days when the original ff7 went exclusive to sony. It's a no brainer to make this deal and benefits both sony and square enix. With how little it sells on xbox, it's an easy deal to make for sony to strengthen their own brand. Its just business. Who or what's stopping you from buying a ps5 to play it if you love the ip so much?

MikeM

Why are certain xbox fans so mad about this? The final fantasy fans are on PS. The ip has been associated with them pretty much since the ps1 days when the original ff7 went exclusive to sony. It's a no brainer to make this deal and benefits both sony and square enix. With how little it sells on xbox, it's an easy deal to make for sony to strengthen their own brand. Its just business. Who or what's stopping you from buying a ps5 to play it if you love the ip so much?
Agreed. I always associate FF with PS, so I always buy it there. Although, I almost bought FFX because of autoHDR on Xbox.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Lack of stock 😂

I got my PS5 day 1 and SE will be getting Day 1 cash from me for FFXVI and Rebirth

That's the one thing people don't realize. Microsoft would never stop a deal like this from taking place for 2 reasons: It would cost them a lot more to have these japanese games as exclusives than it does to Sony and also...it's suicide for these japanese publishers.

Even something like Rise of the Tomb Raider going exclusive for Xbox for a year, it costed 100 million to Microsoft back in the day, which was a franchise mostly tied with PlayStation as well. And how did that go? The game plumeted down the charts when it was released, Xbox didn't get a huge bump in hardware sales from this association, and once the game finally released on PlayStation it was the complete edition and released at a discount. In the end the game still sold more on PlayStation and Square-Enix didn't make nearly as much money as they could have if it had been a day one multiplatform game.

A game like Final Fantasy it's even worse. And with times changing, it would cost MS probably a lot more to stop this exclusivity since it sells a lot less on Xbox.

Same will also happen to Persona, another franchise tied to PlayStation since day one, literally since 1996.

Last edited:

yazenov

Its just the vocal minority on twitter / forums. I'm sure SE and other Jrpgs publishers have a bunch of data that suggests that releasing their games on the Xbox (without any upfront cash from MS) is just not worth it for them since their audience aren't buying these type of games, hence why we see many games skipping the Xbox platfrom due to the low unit sales.

However, now with the introduction of Gamepass and the financial incentives from Microsoft to put these type of games on the service, we are starting to see some of these games on Xbox on Gamepass years later from their initial release dates. It makes no financial sense for them to put their games on Gamepass day one, contrary to MS claims that Gamepass increases games sales.

So yeah, if you want to play these type of games day one, get a Playstation. No need to port beg and hope that one day you'll play it on your console of choice.

K' Dash

King is extremely profitable and might get more so in the short term.

Now onto something else and for the whole community, if two years ago, some one asked you what would come to xbox first, ff7r or p5r, what would you have said?

I would have said FF for sure, but I'm glad the vastly superior P5 is the one they got first.

SSfox

Nice to see Sony didn't forget about their legacy and identity. Hopefully Persona 6 will be PS5 exclusive as well.

SSfox

Sony: We want to buy FF7 exclusivity

SQE: Sure

Microsoft: We want to buy your company

Bethesda: Sure

There's no difference
Actually second is a worse scenario, Starfield and TES6 were already in development on PS5, but MS literally just cancelled those both versions, and they also tried same thing with Acti/Blizz games before FTC entered the chat. While FF7R has never ever been in development in Xbox, and with Sony money game was simply allowed to reach the highest levels, game could even never existed without Sony support, or at least not at the level it is right now.

SSfox

First should come SMTV, but yeah P6 should be locked by now.
Oh that old SMTV leak about PS and PC. Who knows if true or not, time will tell. I'm getting switch anyway for Bayonetta 3 and BOTW2 so if it will stay Switch exclusive i guess i'll just play there meanwhile i think.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned this earlier in the thread, but it's because of the Steam Deck.

If Nintendo makes another console I reckon you will see Part 1 and Part 2 on there.

Chukhopops

Actually second is a worse scenario, Starfield and TES6 were already in development on PS5, but MS literally just cancelled those both versions, and they also tried same thing with Acti/Blizz games before FTC entered the chat. While FF7R has never ever been in development in Xbox, and with Sony money game was simply allowed to reach the highest levels, game could even never existed without Sony support, or at least not at the level it is right now.
A lot of claims but do you have anything substantiating all that bullshit?

TES VI wasn’t in development on PS5 or any other platform by the time Bethesda was purchased (Sept 2020) since it was still in a « design phase » in 2021.

MS announced that CoD would not be exclusive three weeks after announcing the purchase, way before the FTC was even involved.

The rest is just too dumb to even address.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Starfield and TES6 were already in development on PS5, but MS literally just cancelled those both versions, and they also tried same thing with Acti/Blizz games before FTC entered the chat.

Source for both these claims ?

SLB1904

Banned

TES VI wasn’t in development on PS5 or any other platform by the time Bethesda was purchased (Sept 2020) since it was still in a « design phase » in 2021.

MS announced that CoD would not be exclusive three weeks after announcing the purchase, way before the FTC was even involved.

Yeah nah.

All the Bethesda games would release on ps5 period

And cod had contract with Sony.
There is no favors here mah mate just obligations

Chukhopops

Yeah nah.

All the Bethesda games would release on ps5 period

And cod had contract with Sony.
There is no favors here mah mate just obligations
Sure it would have come out if Bethesda remained multiplat but my point is there was nothing to cancel since there was nothing developed by then.

For COD I know it’s for marketing contracts reasons but I’m saying MS never tried to make them exclusives (they know how to read a contract I suppose) and wasn’t forced by the FTC to do so.

Yeah watching people talking about Starfield as if Microsoft had any hand in its development cycle is ridiculous.
They were games that would be multiplatform and now won't be. It's plain and simple.

The difference is, these Final Fantasy games will eventually be everywhere..unlike those IPs MS never created but now own.

Let's hope they don't have the same fate as Halo, Fable, Gears of War and never lose their relevancy

adamsapple

I guess because previous Elder Scroll games have been on PlayStation. It’s not that much of a stretch to say they were thinking about that platform before Microsoft bought them.

Of course, but that's like saying it's not a stretch to say Square would put FF16 on Xbox before Sony bought timed exclusivity.

Besides, their other point makes absolutely no sense, why would MS influence games from Activision on other platforms when the deal hasn't even gone through yet.

They had to come out and make statements about the possibility of what happens after the acquisition is complete because people kept whining about things like the CoD games being console exclusive.

Of course, but that's like saying it's not a stretch to say Square would put FF16 on Xbox before Sony bought timed exclusivity.

Besides, their other point makes absolutely no sense, why would MS influence games from Activision on other platforms when the deal hasn't even gone through yet.

They had to come out and make statements about the possibility of what happens after the acquisition is complete because people kept whining about things like the CoD games being console exclusive.

I don’t think they did that because of people like you. I believe they were more concerned about it going smoothly which is why they made those statements.

adamsapple

I don’t think they did that because of people like you. I believe they were more concerned about it going smoothly which is why they made those statements.

Cheeky.:messenger_winking:

Yeah watching people talking about Starfield as if Microsoft had any hand in its development cycle is ridiculous.

Complementing MS for Starfield = no bueno
Blaming Phil for single handedly delaying Starfield from 11/22 = bueno

I see how it is. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

SSfox

Source for both these claims ?

TES6 was announced to be in development back in 2018, and Starfield development has started even before that. And almost half sales of TES5 are on PS. Now it's up to you if you want to use your brain or stay in your fanboys denial.

Last edited:
Top Bottom