• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7 Remake Removed From PS Store "Console Exclusives" Section.

Most of them also have Playstations but they want Xbox to get all the 3rd-party games just for bragging rights.

I will never forget the way they were cheering when the spreadsheet company bought Activision. They were sure all the CODs, Diablo and Overwatch on PlayStation were cancelled 😅

Walmart spilling that hot tea. Stay pressed.

excited hugh jackman GIF by ScreenJunkies

yurinka

Thats mostly has to do with fact no one was willing to support Bayonetta sequel, not even Saga themselves, this is why Nintendo step in, if it wasn’t for Nintendo we wouldn’t getting Bayonetta.
Probably it was a similar case than SFV: they said that without Sony's money they would have waited to start its development a couple of years because their available budget they had back then was scheduled to be spent in other games with higher priority.

I will never forget the way they were cheering when the spreadsheet company bought Activision. They were sure all the CODs, Diablo and Overwatch on PlayStation were cancelled 😅
It's nice to see CoD MWII, Diablo IV and Overwatch 2 continue planned to be released on PlayStation.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Probably it was a similar case than SFV: they said that without Sony's money they would have waited to start its development a couple of years because their available budget they had back then was scheduled to be spent in other games with higher priority.
Really!? I didn't know that, I mean compare to Bayonetta SF is much bigger IP.

Swift_Star

Banned
That's fine, but you fo realize this isn't a remake now? Rebirth is even a standalone story that Square says stands on its own without needing to play FF7 OR FF7 Remake.

This would be liking refusing to play Mass Effect 1 until Mass Effect 3 relessed, as that was also announced as a trilogy at launch.
I’m pretty sure it’s a sequel to remake and you’ll need to play it if you want to understand what is going on.

Corndog

Banned
They possibly contributed to the cost of developing the game, we don’t know.
Is the important thing to you that there should be a PS Studios stamp on it in order to make it okay?
No. I’m saying the two aren’t the same. Sony doesn’t own square.

Corndog

Banned
So? Starfield was still taken away from PlayStation…

but you are always entering threads, trolling, derailing them and having meltdowns over Sony…
You were having meltdowns earlier while claiming that xenoblade was bigger than final fantasy lol
You are confusing me with someone else. I have never talked about xenoblade ever on gaf.
I’m not a Sony fan but I don’t have any problem with PlayStation itself. I own several PlayStation games on pc.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
Yeah, no dude. Bethesda games would be released on Xbox regardless. All MS did was moneyhatting perpetually.
So Sony money hatted insomniac into perpetuity?
Edit: Look if all MS wanted to do was to make starfield exclusive then why didn’t they do that and not buy Bethesda.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
So Sony money hatted insomniac into perpetuity?
Edit: Look if all MS wanted to do was to make starfield exclusive then why didn’t they do that and not buy Bethesda.
Yes. But insomniac didn’t have any relevant IPs. Bethesda has a lot of them. So the Bethesda situation is really worse than any moneyhat Sony ever did. It is what it is.

Yes. But insomniac didn’t have any relevant IPs. Bethesda has a lot of them. So the Bethesda situation is really worse than any moneyhat Sony ever did. It is what it is.

Any relevant IPs was owned by Sony like Ratchet for example. Also Insomniac wasn’t that successful as a multiplatform developer so getting acquired by someone was probably the best thing for them.

I’m pretty sure it’s a sequel to remake and you’ll need to play it if you want to understand what is going on.
It's a sequel, yes, but they write these things in a way that they can be understood and enjoyed as its own thing. Similar to any other sequel, such as God of War 2018 or Horizon Forbidden West.

It was the developers who explicitly said Final Fantasy VII Rebirth story was written this way and can be enjoyed by itself.

I, personally, wouldn't recommend that. I wouldn't recommend playing Final Fantasy VII Remake before playing Final Fantasy VII either.

yurinka

Really!? I didn't know that, I mean compare to Bayonetta SF is much bigger IP.
Yes, as I remember they mentioned it in interviews just after announcing SFV to explain their partnership with Sony. In addition to help fund SFV, Sony also did gave them half a million dollars for Capcom Pro Tour (Capcom's SFV eSport tournaments) prize pool and Sony was also in charge of outsourcing and publish the Ultra Street Fighter IV PS4 port.

In exchange of that SFV series would be console exclusive for Sony, and SFIV wouldn't get a port to other consoles of that gen (but in XBO SFIV was supported to be played via BC).

Last edited:
But Sony got that sweet, sweet Sunset Overdrive ip! That they'll never use....

Well I was speaking about before the acquisition. But yes I don’t think they will use SSO unless they do something like a remake or something similar. Insomniac focus is on Marvel now and I’m sure there will be more Ratchet games.

Exclusives are dead. A thing of the past.
Dumb post of the day goes to :

Microsoft is literally the only one helping with that, playstation is getting a bit better, and Nintendo is non-existent

When's botw 2 coming to pc or playstation?

Fucking Muppet

Swift_Star

Banned
I think it was definitely a big reason. Of course it wasn't the only one.
No it wasn’t. The reason was that they saw it made business sense and they were for sale. Making a billionaire investment because of exclusivity contracts is extremely irresponsible and would never be approved by the company board.

Starfield yes, Sony wanted to make it exclusive before the buyout. Not TES which wasn’t in development at the time of buyout.

Sony trying to secure Starfield exclusivity may actually have been a factor in the buyout decision (hard to say for sure obviously).

MS could've just outbid Sony on timed exclusivity if they wanted a less disruptive approach, but if they also wanted to remove possibility of future Bethesda games getting into exclusivity bidding wars between them and Sony, just buying Bethesda probably made sense.

With FF7 he hates exclusives but the guy had a hard on when he thought Activision titles were becoming exclusive. Kept saying it would be like Bethesda. Didn't complain one bit about anything.

Then when the FTC investigation was happening he was quick to portray MS as angels who will maintain multiplatform releases.

Stuff like that's why I dislike so many games journalist these days. They can just report on the facts and leaks they've heard, but instead they have to fanboy on Twitter.

There’s a big difference between « PC day 1 on all games » and « some PC ports between a year and three later, sometimes as EGS exclusives ».

Let’s not pretend the two are remotely similar.

I don't see how console gamers really care about this too much though, feels more like an issue PC gamers would have and it's not like games like Starfield were ever going to not release on PC Day 1 even if Zenimax remained multiplat. PC is their main platform.

Maybe it matters to PC gamers when it comes to traditionally console-only games but the argument can also be made if those PC gamers really cared about those games, they'd of purchased a console to play them.

Nintendo moneyhatted and published Bayonetta 2 and 3. But Sega owns the IP, so Sega can do whatever they want with future entries. In the same way that Nintendo moneyhatted Monster Hunter Rise but Capcom can continue releasing Monster Hunter games in other platforms.

I was always under the impression though that Nintendo helped co-fund and co-develop Bayonetta 2 along with Platinum, and are doing the same with 3. So I guess Sega can theoretically do what they want with the IP but Nintendo's done more for Bayonetta by now than Sega did and I think Sega knows that. The IP is probably better off in Nintendo's hands, they've been its "unicorn" the way Insomniac has been for Spiderman.

Ah man, oh no.

see you in a week 😀

As for legacy games, I totally agree with you and it's something I was saying before the PS+ revamp. That Sony could counter Xbox with their own Day 1 first-party games, just not the really big and expensive ones. If a Concrete Genie 2 or MediEvil 2 remaster were on the horizon, I would absolutely make those games Day 1 for PS+ Extra or Premium. Since Sony seems to want any remasters of PS3 games on down to be considered Classic Premium-tier games. Inexpensive titles that probably wouldn't sell tons of copies anyways but add value to the subscription service.

OK I didn't know so many of the more well-known PS Vita games got ported already to PS4. I know Tearaway did, but after that I kind of stopped paying attention. There's a lot of visual novels and such but they're either super niche or have probably been ported to the Switch I guess. Guess that does leave it like the Wii U in that sense.

But yeah, I really hope Sony push some remakes and new installments of some of the smaller IP they have, just to balance out the massive AAA games and tap into more nostalgia. They could partner up with other devs to do at least some of them, they can even take a page from Sega and work with a few talented fans who may also be in game dev or the modding & fangame scenes and let them work on some new entries of smaller classic IP they're suited for.

PS+ Extra and Premium are great avenues for those types of games, since I think it's been proven a few times by now that Day 1 isn't really conductive for the massive AAA games. But much cheaper, smaller AA-style indie games would be a great fit. Just thinking of a new Tomba! with Stray-level visuals and production (or even just a remake of the first two like that) gives me goosebumps.

Walmart spilling that hot tea. Stay pressed.

Walmart mentioning Ragnarok right after Balrog quote-tweeted Jaffe with a rebuttal. 2022 might be confirmed? 🤔

No it wasn’t. The reason was that they saw it made business sense and they were for sale. Making a billionaire investment because of exclusivity contracts is extremely irresponsible and would never be approved by the company board.
Yes it was. They weren't gonna let Starfield, one of the most anticipated games of the generation, not release on Xbox. That was likely the final straw. And then it turned out that a purchase even makes business sense, so they went through with it.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
It had to happen. Sony was about to moneyhat everything from Zenimax.
it really didn't. MS moneyhatted Tomb Raider and I just played it a year later. Xbox fans would be fine playing Starfield a year later and Doom, ES, Fallout, Wolfenstein, and many others would be free to make deals with whoever for extra cash in the future as they were doing fine without MS owning them forever.

Yeah watching people talking about Starfield as if Microsoft had any hand in its development cycle is ridiculous.
They were games that would be multiplatform and now won't be. It's plain and simple.

The difference is, these Final Fantasy games will eventually be everywhere..unlike those IPs MS never created but now own.

Let's hope they don't have the same fate as Halo, Fable, Gears of War and never lose their relevancy

Look how popular gears and Halo used to be and look where they are now. That's on Microsofts bad management of the ip. Sony and Nintendo ip are more stronger than they have ever been even though they've been around for a long time.

Ff7 was not exclusive to PlayStation. It was on pc. That’s how I played it.

Yes it was. It was ported to PC later. Which means it was exclusive for a certain period. The period where it counts the most.

Last edited:
Look how popular gears and Halo used to be and look where they are now. That's on Microsofts bad management of the ip. Sony and Nintendo ip are more stronger than they have ever been even though they've been around for a long time.

Yes it was. It was ported to PC later. Which means it was exclusive for a certain period. The period where it counts the most.

And it’s timed exclusive again correct? I only saw PS5 mentioned in the trailer.

Rac3r

I don't recall anyone getting this outraged when Sony bought Insomniac but the Bethesda blow has struck a deep wound for some.
Remind me what IPs the insomniac acquisition came with? Now compare those IPs to Bethesdas.

This is a brain dead argument that ignores all context. Sony bought talent (Insomniac) to make games with IPs that Sony already owned or leased (marvel). The Bethesda acquisition was done to lock several major third party franchises behind Xbox and Game Pass.

Not even remotely comparable. If Sony bought EA or 2k, and made their IPs exclusive, then that would be a good comparison.

Remind me what IPs the insomniac acquisition came with? Now compare those IPs to Bethesdas.

This is a brain dead argument that ignores all context. Sony bought talent (Insomniac) to make games with IPs that Sony already owned or leased (marvel). The Bethesda acquisition was done to lock several major third party franchises behind Xbox and Game Pass.

Not even remotely comparable. If Sony bought EA or 2k, and made their IPs exclusive, then that would be a good comparison.

I guess the only thing that could be comparable if it does happen is if Sony buys Square. Unfortunately with Square selling off those devs and IPs they have a lot less franchises to give to Sony. I’m only aware of Final Fantasy. Not sure what else Square owns that’s significant.

It's even less comparable because you don't need an Xbox to play any of the titles Bethesda makes. That was true before and after the acquisition. Who knows if you'll even play an Insomniac title away from PlayStation. It doesn't look like the Bethesda purchase should make anyone upset.

Insomniac is more comparable to playground games. Insomniac was already mostly an exclusive playstation developer and playground games was already making exclusives for xbox. These acquisitions make sense. Bethesda and Activision is a whole different ball game. Sony have done nothing comparable to it and maybe they never will. Like you said, its a brain dead disingenuous comparison and he knows it. How the hell can you compare one studio to an entire 3rd party publisher?

Last edited:

Rac3r

I guess the only thing that could be comparable if it does happen is if Sony buys Square. Unfortunately with Square selling off those devs and IPs they have a lot less franchises to give to Sony. I’m only aware of Final Fantasy. Not sure what else Square owns that’s significant.
Yup, Sony wouldn't have anything close to a monopoly on JRPG's after a SE acquisition (the way Microsoft does with WRPGs after Bethesda). There's still Sega, Bamco, Nintendo, etc. Square doesn't really make anything that significant outside of Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts.

It's even less comparable because you don't need an Xbox to play any of the titles Bethesda makes. That was true before and after the acquisition. Who knows if you'll even play an Insomniac title away from PlayStation. It doesn't look like the Bethesda purchase should make anyone upset.
Sony literally just announced Spiderman for PC, acquired a PC porting studio, and their execs have made multiple statements about expanding to PC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom