• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 30 - Jan 5 | Rest in peace, Nelson "Remix" Reyes

Nuklear

Banned
Wow, insane drop in viewers. Art's chat was way more busier though than earlier so there was more people watching. 5k viewers more? Who the fuck knows.

El Sloth

Banned
Watching Art's stream jump from 800 viewers to 5k was a lot of fun. Stream chat had me rolling. Too bad he didn't get in an ad at 5k. That is, assuming those weren't all bots.

Kioshen

Sorry for the late reply. He's a very solid character with low mix up options. His gameplan is to frame trap the shit out of you with his extremely solid normals extremely fast run speed and pressure. If you like easy to do combos that look exaggerated *due to him gaining meter so fast his supers are basically just ex moves* He's a solid pick.

Thanks Q ! He looks like Cody then but with fast run speed ... sold ! I'll look into maybe picking it up then eventually when it comes out in the US just to toy around with the character.

That first round choke against Kioshen!
:(
All I needed to do was chip him out...

Never give up ! Sorry to hear you don't like playing against Sagat. If I knew I wouldn't have picked him at first.

Onionfrog, Beats, Karst thanks for the matches guys ! You could hear the rust out of my play from miles away but I hope I helped you guys somewhat.

@Onionfrog
Sorry I went Kara-throw happy on you on our Ken vs Ken match.

@Beats
From what we play in SG, Guile really doesn't fit you at all. Try giving Fei Long a couple of matches. If not then forget Guile has a Flash kick. Try moving around more and explore his normals. Not enough cr.HP coming out of you. Tried to make a point with the Balrog match.

@Karst
Man do you play Oni weird. I can't quite put my finger on it but you were throwing me off a lot lol. Maybe because you weren't spazzing out like the other Oni players I've fought I dunno.

Beats

See, I think it is obvious that the game should be balanced for 1v1. FFA is so chaotic that balance barely matters, especially since items are turned on usually.

Yeah. The game can still be a party game even if it's balanced for 1vs1. Also, I don't remember Sakurai talking about Brawl in this way during its development, so I'm looking forward to this game a bit more. I'm still a little worried though heh.

Also, good games guys. Thanks for the Guile advice Kioshen and Karst on PSN. I haven't put much time into this game, so this is all somewhat new to me.

Kimosabae

Banned
I have given her a lot of consideration. She is my kind of character, except that my execution is mid tier at best. As a lefty, hitting complex button inputs consistently is not easy for me. I imagine that part of the reason I play tridashers is it lets my main hand put in a lot of work. Right now my short list of characters to give an honest shot is:
Dhalsim
Sagat
C. Viper

I might end up landing on C. Viper just because she scares me, and I usually end up liking them because I see all their potential, which is what scares me in the first place: we resonate. I am just worried I will mindgame myself into oblivion with her, since a whiffed Seismo scares me so much. I also feel weird about maining a character in SF but not using her in Marvel. I do like her, though.

How do you do those low to the ground Burn Kick crossups?

Well, execution is all dedication and discipline - despite what some execution monsters would try to tell you ("I don't even practice that much" etc.). It's all a function of how much time you're willing to dedicate to her.

I'd kill to be left handed. My main problem adjusting to stick is not having the necessary left-handed strength to vary my power with precision. There's tense, key moments where I want to dash in neutral (for i.e.) and often times I just. Can't. Fucking. Do it. I honestly think sticks are horrible but I'm too stubborn to use something else. After all these years.

My main inspiration for picking Viper, actually, was for stick training. I figured if I could play her: I could do anything on stick. It's definitely helped.

In any case, the somewhat technical explanation of the low altitude BK is to execute the TK version when not in neutral position. This gives you a BK w/o a Super Jump, since a SJ requires a 2, 8 input within 2 frames (or something like that). Moving the stick out of the neutral then executing iBK makes the execution slow enough to disregard the SJ and give you a normal jump instead. The typical way of doing this is while moving forward (63214789 + K) or holding down during recovery of a normal and then executing the TK motion (214789 + K). Hopefully, that's clear.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Ultradavid is wrecking all of GAF right now. At least I came close a bunch of times! I'm constantly in trolling mode in playing. I have to get serious for him.

Kimosabae

Banned
If UltraDavid's gonna be a regular I'm gonna have to get my Live up and running again.

Nice to see SF being the game to play again.

Salex_

I'm hoping we see developers use unexplored fighting game mechanics and new IPs this gen. Pretty much all of the new IPs we got in the last few years were similar to recent fighting games.

There's a lot of great examples such as Bleach: Dark Souls, Urbans Reigns, Tom & Jerry War of the Whiskers, Onimusha Blade Warriors, Bushido Blade, etc. It's disappointing to see none of these mechanics being acknowledged.

I could see a good amount of those gameplay concepts explode in the current tournament scene (especially for spectators) due to the team aspect.

El Sloth

Banned
I'm hoping we see developers use unexplored fighting game mechanics and new IPs this gen. Pretty much all of the new IPs we got in the last few years were similar to recent fighting games.

There's a lot of great examples such as Bleach: Dark Souls, Urbans Reigns, Tom & Jerry War of the Whiskers, Onimusha Blade Warriors, Bushido Blade, etc. It's disappointing to see none of these mechanics being acknowledged.

I could see a good amount of those gameplay concepts explode in the current tournament scene (especially for spectators) due to the team aspect.
Would you mind highlighting and detailing what some of these overlooked mechanics are? I'd love to hear about them, but I'm probably not going to be playing this Tom & Jerry fighting game anytime soon.

vocab

THERE'S STILL ONE DAY LEFT
IT'S HAPPENING TODAY

BELIEVE IN GRACE CHEN

rfLbv.gif

Silky

Banned
I'm ready for 2014. 20 years of KOF. An announcement will be imminent, and more years of Honest Fighting will sure to come.

EWmof.gif
SAVE US SNKP
p0QHO.gif

Beats

@Beats
From what we play in SG, Guile really doesn't fit you at all. Try giving Fei Long a couple of matches. If not then forget Guile has a Flash kick. Try moving around more and explore his normals. Not enough cr.HP coming out of you. Tried to make a point with the Balrog match.

Yeah, probably. :p I haven't tried the whole cast yet, but I'll give Fei Long a shot.

Salex_

Would you mind highlighting and detailing what some of these overlooked mechanics are? I'd love to hear about them, but I'm probably not going to be playing this Tom & Jerry fighting game anytime soon.

The core combat of Tom & Jerry was fairly simple. You just had a punch, kick, block, and taunt (which filled up the berserk meter) buttons. You could double jump, catch projectiles, drop items, kick them away, and throw opponents. Most of the depth came from using all of those along with the environment and baiting out attacks that had longer recovery. The berserker ability gave you double damage. I never played Powerstone, but some say Tom & Jerry was somewhat similar to that game.

I started playing Bleach Dark Souls around the time I began watching high level Tekken 5 DR videos and decided to learn fighting games beyond button mashing. From what I remember, the game was very fast paced and always fun to play. The 4-player matches felt like it worked properly in a 2d fighter.

The Urban Reigns style 3d chaotic 4 player arena gameplay would be great to see again. You had limb based damage along with health bars, so there were many options to decision how you wanted to play. The game had great diversity in fighting styles and team based attacks to encourage cooperative gameplay.

Just some examples.

Dahbomb

I have actually played this Tom and Jerry game oddly enough. I don't know when but it was a long ass time ago and I vaguely remember it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The core combat of Tom & Jerry was fairly simple. You just had a punch, kick, block, and taunt (which filled up the berserk meter) buttons. You could double jump, catch projectiles, drop items, kick them away, and throw opponents. Most of the depth came from using all of those along with the environment and baiting out attacks that had longer recovery. The berserker ability gave you double damage. I never played Powerstone, but some say Tom & Jerry was somewhat similar to that game.
I had to look this up xD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bUZl_87uaY

Speaking of neglected fightans!

DISSIDIA TOURNAMENT MATCH

[Purgatory Semi Finals] Dart (Tidus/Cloud) vs DanneD (Tifa) - Matches 1 - 4

onionfrog

Good Games to Kioshen, Beats and Karst.
Kioshen was wrecking everybody in that lobby lol.

Good Games Karst!
Be glad I don't have a mic, or you would have heard some obscenities during those last few games.
I should really stick with rose. I felt like i couldn't do shit to Oni with any other characters tonight.

:D at those few decent soul satellite tricks I was able to make work!

GGs Onionfrog. That was an intense set. I feel like my Oni offense is starting to come together, and I am opening you up a lot more and maintaining pressure.

What was your "WTF?" Message about?

I really hate Soul Satellites. It makes me go limp from all the defense I have to play. Maybe I will stick with Oni. Even if I am some weirdo zoning Oni, I really do enjoy his stuff. Sagat just isn't as...jovially demonic.

Good Games to Kioshen, Beats and Karst.
Kioshen was wrecking everybody in that lobby lol.

Good Games Karst!
Be glad I don't have a mic, or you would have heard some obscenities during those last few games.
I should really stick with rose. I felt like i couldn't do shit to Oni with any other characters tonight.

:D at those few decent soul satellite tricks I was able to make work!
There was a game toward the end where I just laughed when you won. I was down to a sliver and got a corner mixup that should have ended the game, but I messed it up. So we were both at a sliver and were flailing around for chip. It was just too funny seeing us both mash around like that since we are both normally collected players.

Your Rose is really coming together, though I think you don't use her pokes very much. Why is that?

K.Sabot

Sorry bro this shit is too terrible.

Edit: seems like you agree, man they should exile the guy who decided SF4's netcode was good from civilization forever. And that's the bare minimum.

Top Bottom