• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 19-25 | As Seen On WSHH

Really? Why do you think that?
You've never watched high level VSav? She zips around so much that it makes her rushdown game really dynamic. I think aside from Hsien-Ko and Zabel (Anak is also really fun to watch) she has one of the most fun mixup games in VSav and any pre 2000 fighter. Her particular toolset also lets her do serious damage in a game where she sits on the lower end of the cast paper-wise, but she doesn't rely as much on chance to make it happen. One solid hit confirm for a great Morrigan player leads into DI and big damage. Morrigan's old wakeup game is also more fun to watch than an endless barrage of Soul fists backed by missiles because it is hard to tell what direction she plans to swoop in from.

I can't think of many characters who have done such a good job at both extremes as her. It must be one of those things only a long lived character like her can achieve.

petghost

Banned
I mostly play Melee but I played some Alpha 2 and Marvel 2 at Magfest and I want to get into those games (or games like them). Where should I start? What games would you recommend to someone coming from Melee that wants similar gameplay (speed, movement, combos, etc)? What stick should I buy?

Also, I noticed that the old arcade machines there had buttons laid out straight across and it was killing my fingers (I had to turn at an angle to play comfortably). I'm glad that many modern sticks have the buttons in an arc to match a human hand.

I recommend vampire savior as the pace is super fast with interesting movement while still being a really fundamentals based game. Check out the mizuumi wiki articles on vsav they have a ton of info.

edit: here is the mizuumi FAQ on vsav

http://wiki.mizuumi.net/w/Vampire_Savior/FAQ

EasyMode

pikawinw2d9u.gif

FGW | Heihachu, I choose you!

You've never watched high level VSav? She zips around so much that it makes her rushdown game really dynamic. I think aside from Hsien-Ko and Zabel (Anak is also really fun to watch) she has one of the most fun mixup games in VSav and any pre 2000 fighter. Her particular toolset also lets her do serious damage in a game where she sits on the lower end of the cast paper-wise, but she doesn't rely as much on chance to make it happen. One solid hit confirm for a great Morrigan player leads into DI and big damage. Morrigan's old wakeup game is also more fun to watch than an endless barrage of Soul fists backed by missiles because it is hard to tell what direction she plans to swoop in from.

I can't think of many characters who have done such a good job at both extremes as her. It must be one of those things only a long lived character like her can achieve.
I meant: why don't you think we would ever see MvC3 style Morrigan again?

I find her much more interesting than another tridash rushdown character. MvC3 Morrigan is very unique, and I like unique.

I meant: why don't you think we would ever see MvC3 style Morrigan again?

I find her much more interesting than another tridash rushdown character. MvC3 Morrigan is very unique, and I like unique.
The bold function is your friend. Anyways... we've all seen the hate. It's that simple. People can't stand what she does even if Missiles are far and away the worst culprit for a lot of the bullshit at high levels of play in this game. Odds are they'd take the simple route and hack both to pieces rather than taking a scalpel to Morrigan and an axe to missiles.

I agree with you on her being fun to watch and play btw.

Rhapsody

Banned
So nobody here watched Frosty Faustings last night? I'm disappointed in you guys.

Busaiku and K Saibot excepted.

Watched all of it. Elvenshadow losing to Bananaken in pools and then running it back in GFs was great, especially the tournament winning kill.

The bold function is your friend. Anyways... we've all seen the hate. It's that simple. People can't stand what she does even if Missiles are far and away the worst culprit for a lot of the bullshit at high levels of play in this game. Odds are they'd take the simple route and hack both to pieces rather than taking a scalpel to Morrigan and an axe to missiles.

I agree with you on her being fun to watch and play btw.
I think it depends on who is making MvC4. If the same team is making it, I think they'll keep Morrigan as-is because they are probably proud of their creation. If it's a new team, then all bets are off. I don't think people being upset about a character being too good factors into it. Seth Killian even said Morrigan is "working as intended" and was happy to see the fruits of their labor when ChrisG was first dominating with her.

So nobody here watched Frosty Faustings last night? I'm disappointed in you guys.

I only care about watching one GG player, and his name is Ogawa. If he's playing on a stream, let me know. Otherwise, I don't give a crap about a bunch of C-list players figuring the game out. I always watch streams to learn new things, and I watch only for that reason. I watch a Marvel stream maybe 2-3 times a year just to see if anything new has happened in the game. I would tune into a FT10 for any player who uses characters from my team, which is uncommon.

Sayad

I did, well, I watched top 8 today. It was an excellent demonstration of how BS Elphelt is, everyone was free to Banana Ken. Still a good top 8 with excellent character variety.

rookiejet

Watched all of it. Elvenshadow losing to Bananaken in pools and then running it back in GFs was great, especially the tournament winning kill.

I didn't know Faust's 6H was unblockable :> Time for the sub to become the main. Learn you some mixups and unblockables, and get back to me, Sin.

I really enjoyed Klaige's commentary as well. He's fantastic.

Sayad

I only care about watching one GG player, and his name is Ogawa. If he's playing on a stream, let me know. Otherwise, I don't give a crap about a bunch of C-list players figuring the game out. I always watch streams to learn new things, and I watch only for that reason.
Sometimes there's more to learn from watching a level of play more relate-able to your own than the Ogawa or Daigo of the world though. Seeing, say, FAB just defending whole strings and making right reads all day might not teach about the match up as much as seeing regular US high level Potemkin suffering through it.

Rhapsody

Banned
It's all she has!
Sorta

I'm fighting a character where neutral doesn't isn't exactly neutral. I thought I was done with this after BBCP Kokonoe :(

In all seriousness though, Charge StunEdge seems pretty useful. Going to have to use that more against a full screen pineberry.
I'm having issues gaining tension through approaching in this matchup though at the moment.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm fighting a character where neutral doesn't isn't exactly neutral. I thought I was done with this after BBCP Kokonoe :(

In all seriousness though, Charge StunEdge seems pretty useful. Going to have to use that more against a full screen pineberry.
I'm having issues gaining tension through approaching in this matchup though at the moment.

A single pineberry destroys a full CSE though actually a single pineberry destroys a enhanced CSE too LOL

And Elphelt is totally not Kokopuffs. She was fucking stupid beyond compare.

Sometimes there's more to learn from watching a level of play more relate-able to your own than the Ogawa or Daigo of the world though. Seeing, say, FAB just defending whole strings and making right reads all day might not teach about the match up as much as seeing regular US high level Potemkin suffering through it.
It's more the offensive aspect and the neutral that I need to learn about. I don't learn about defensive play very well from observation. I tend to notice strings and setups. As such, watching a Potemkin is pretty meaningless for me. I only care about watching Zato play, and he's pretty uncommon in terms of character choices.

It's not about watching vs. not watching, either. It's about watching vs. playing. If I have time to watch, I have time to play (usually). So if I'm going to watch a stream, it needs to be more beneficial to me than just playing the game and learning from experience. The player I'm watching has to be very skilled for that to be the case, because I am primarily a kinetic learner.

Top Bottom