• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Mar 2-8 | Capcom does the Monster Nash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9xAapVYtQU

VGBootcamp just announced Super Smash Con. Focused on Smash games 64, Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4. No PM. $30,000 total Pot Bonus, in a 100,000 sq ft. facility. Held in Aug. 6-9th. Interesting choice since its only a couple of weeks after EVO, with EVO making a push to host Melee and Smash 4.

1. Smash 4: customs on or off? (and ruleset in general)
2. Juggleguy and Nintendude hosting is sending mixed signals on wobbling legality
3. PM confirmed worth $30000 to VGBC
Kappa

Tripon

I've said this on twitter but 4 days for a tourney like this is overkill.

Yeah, it definitely seems like overkill. Even Evo isn't 4 days yet. Also wonder if FGC games were going to round out the roster like APEX does because there's no way they can fill up a 100,000 sq. ft building with just Smash games.

Kumubou

Man, part of me wishes NoA had the independence (and the fortitude) to invest into (aka buy out) Project M and help spin it up to a full game, but that would run so against how Nintendo operates it's just silly wishcasting.

I've said this on twitter but 4 days for a tourney like this is overkill.
Think of all of the friendlies!!!

Anne

They're calling it a con and making it last for 4 days so I'm assuming more than a tournament would be happening?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
My one real concern is how serious Sony is in regards to backing SF5. They're throwing in lots of money this year and they'll probably run it back (if not even bigger) in 2016, but what happens beyond that? How committed are they to pushing e-sportscompetitive videogames? What happens when the music stops and the money goes away? One of the things that FGC events have always emphasized (and rightfully so) is sustainability. On the flip side, I don't think making an early move to the PS4 is going to kill the community if this flops in 2-3 years (as it would have largely happened by then anyway).

This was my concern as well, even providing $100,000 for Capcom Cup only would have been a great stepping stone for getting people to go out and get that money. Maybe the amount I specified wouldn't be able to suffice for top 8 at Capcom Cup but it isn't chucking half a million as a first try to get into the SF community and see if it works. Sony should have been more prudent with the money cause sustaining this kind of momentum is difficult due to the amount of money. Yeah, Sony is a multi-billion dollar corporation but it can't keep up with this amount of money unless SFV goes on to record sales and beats SFIV. I really hope Sony sticks with this for the long run and provides money for more of these events in the future.

Effect

They're calling it a con and making it last for 4 days so I'm assuming more than a tournament would be happening?

If Nintendo is on board it could be a mini-E3 for the east coast featuring most of what they show this coming E3. They had Splatoon at APEX. This is a larger venue from the start.

In the video the following is listed.

Vendors
Events
Raffles
Live Music
Exclusive Panels

So yeah more then a tournament it seems.

Yeah, it definitely seems like overkill. Even Evo isn't 4 days yet. Also wonder if FGC games were going to round out the roster like APEX does because there's no way they can fill up a 100,000 sq. ft building with just Smash games.

bruh

those Splatoon setups need lots of space

:p

CurlyW

Not to be outdone, here's the stage for Combo Breaker:

B_OdkcSVAAAt8Mg.jpg:large

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";154515097]Anyone wanna play AE PC? My Bison pressure is pretty unofficial right now.[/QUOTE]

I do but I am putting my kids to bed. I will be free (both in play and time) soon.

Wait... Is it a premiere event? I know FR and EVO are two of them, I don't remember the third one.

Edit:

I think its either NCR or SCR, I forget. Pretty salty EC doesn't have a premiere event that's closer. Atlanta is really far for a lot of people, 12 hour drives...

EC has Canada Cup which is in Toronto this year.

Guess I'll try going to the land of poutine too.
Don't hurt me just cause I don't know any better about Canada.

Canadian people in general are super super friendly in my experience. It's been four years since EVO 2011 and I still think of that group of Canadians as some of the best people I've met. If it weren't for the cold, I'd think about moving there myself.

fader

FFS Capcom... Skullgirls already solved this problem. Just put their name in the credits and save everyone so much trouble.

there's problems with that that are beyond Capcom. devices must now be registered with Sony before they can be used on the ps4

vulva

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";154518196]Canadian people in general are super super friendly in my experience. It's been four years since EVO 2011 and I still think of that group of Canadians as some of the best people I've met. If it weren't for the cold, I'd think about moving there myself.[/QUOTE]

thanks!

Tik-Tok

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";154518196]Canadian people in general are super super friendly in my experience. It's been four years since EVO 2011 and I still think of that group of Canadians as some of the best people I've met. If it weren't for the cold, I'd think about moving there myself.[/QUOTE]

Not me

very-angry-boy.jpg

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

I hope they're up for Marvel cause I'm aiming for that top 8 since they would be so nice as to hand it to me.
Seriously speaking, I've heard great stories about people who've met Canadians so I'm pretty excited if my plans go through.

Sayah

Tekken 7 confirmed for Final Round. Harada and Michael Murray also attending.

Final Round isn't happening close to me. :(
But great news for those that get to play it.

I need Tekken 7 to happen in NY/NJ/PA area and I will attend.

vulva

I hope they're up for Marvel cause I'm aiming for that top 8 since they would be so nice as to hand it to me.
Seriously speaking, I've heard great stories about people who've met Canadians so I'm pretty excited if my plans go through.

Toronto still loves Marvel for some reason

Hopefully top players attending Final Round are announced soon with a trailer. Anything to get attendance at the events bigger.

I am glad the West is getting T7 experience before Evo. No one wants to see a bunch of day 1 play there. I hope it travels around a bit.

You two aren't who I was talking about. Trying to snatch up someone else's compliment, smh you sound like a buncha yams

Although I had no idea Smedwicks and Blackule were AIB heads. I was a ladder ref there for a bit and quit when I noticed the moderation team weren't allowed to do shit.

Top Bottom