• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Mar 2-8 | Capcom does the Monster Nash

fader

http://www.twitch.tv/qistoptier/b/632286887

Enjoy :D

tgQWYDK.png

LOL

oohhh..... my god.....

Compbros

Best post-MK3 character, but what happened to all those newcomers huh

going by the leak, we bout to get Johnny Cage and Liu Kang and all them niggas too lol

8 Newcomers, meaning a third of the base roster is completely new. I'd say that's a good amount especially when you add in variations.

I don't think so but I'm not expert. From what I've heard the Titty Witch is much easier to play in this version than previous versions

This is true for all characters in xrd...ino isn't particularly easy because she's unorthodox. Instead of a normal dash, she flies diagonally. Good for high low mixups.

petghost

Banned
I-no used to be one of the highest execution fg chars I knew of at least. Her hcl and vcl were much more intense motions and her 6frc6 shit was absurd. She also had to make use of jump installs. definitely quite a bit more accessible in xrd as you don't have to be an execution wizard to do her basic shit.

It was rad seeing guys like koichi play her at such a high level tho.

Tripon

The only time I found a block button to be useful is in Smash games. Otherwise, I'm very much an advocate of press back to block.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
noooooo.jpg

You have to reach a certain level of desperation to go for online Mahvel. I'm not quite there yet. lol

you already know the pain... playing mahvel online is like shoving a rusty nail up your finger nail.

The only time I found a block button to be useful is in Smash games. Otherwise, I'm very much an advocate of press back to block.

I like how the Naruto games on the GameCube did it, you don't hold a button to block, it blocks for you, Shikamaru looked like a beast just dodging everything you threw at him. You get punished for putting out a move and missing it or by getting hit by a super. Maybe I'm just lazy but I'd rather have that than have to think hi, lo, hi, lo, lo, hi, etc. repeatedly.

Uraizen

Banned
Here I know you guys like stuff like this so here's a thing to muse over today:

So, with P4U2 and DFC and even BBCP, I've noticed a trend in tier lists. There usually tends to be a small S+ tier of 2-3 chars, then a pretty big and wide S/A tier. In P4U2 you can see 10~ characters in the tier right outside of god tier, in DFC there are 2 S+ tier characters then like 6 S tiers. In BBCP2, you normally see like 3~ god tiers, then people will just throw anywhere from 6-10 chars in the next tier. It's usually because chars in teh 2nd tier are clearly strong but all fall into comparable strength.

Soooooo, how do people feel about that? Is it cause those gaps are smaller currently or people who make tier lists are just less strict these days?

Probably ease of execution vs the reward from it. That or their tools are just too good in comparison to the rest of the cast. Can I go on autopilot with the character? Can I touch you just two times and kill you with a very easy BnB? Do I have a brainless safe jump off of everything? Are my OS' godlike? etc. Throw all of that into one character with one or two things missing for your S+.

Compbros

Let me say I don't think either system is better than the other but I prefer block button because it forces you to be very aware of your movement/blocking. This mainly pertains to SF but being able to move backwards and have the game block for you when your opponent's attack is in a certain range is one less thing you have to worry about as a player and I find it easier. Another thing I dislike about back to block is that ambigious cross ups become more of a guessing game than anything, especially when even the person doing the setup doesn't know where the hit is coming from. Block button means if you get hit it's ALL on you, you made a bad read or your opponent made a good one or what have you instead off holding the direction and hoping it was the right call.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
CEO announced that they will use PS4 for USF4 if it comes out in time. 360 is the backup.
MCZ will supply loaner sticks for people to use.

http://shoryuken.com/2015/03/03/com...as-tentative-ultra-street-fighter-iv-console/

Here is Jebailey's vision for CEO stage.

ceo-2015-stage-concept.png

Sony is really pushing this. Good stuff to not only hear of a huge publisher helping a scene but seeing it in action. I would assume the PS4's are provided by Sony right?

Edit:

Now I really wanna go to CEO, screw FR, I'm going to Florida baby!

Tripon

Sony is really pushing this. Good stuff to not only hear of a huge publisher helping a scene but seeing it in action. I would assume the PS4's are provided by Sony right?

Might be gaming generations, but they would get their consoles from Sony anyway.

Skilletor

I, for one, welcome the quicker move to PS4. It is strange, though, that the majority of the SF4 will be on 360, and people still aren't moving Xrd to PS4.

Rhapsody

Banned
I, for one, welcome the quicker move to PS4. It is strange, though, that the majority of the SF4 will be on 360, and people still aren't moving Xrd to PS4.

Anime scene's pretty poverty. I don't think a lot of us stick users have PS4 sticks just yet.

Anne

Anime scene's pretty poverty. I don't think a lot of us stick users have PS4 sticks just yet.

We don't care about sticks period(all equipment is on the players), we care about money. Getting PS4s for Xrd while a lot of the PS3 set ups used for ASW games have it on them makes no sense financially. Ultra for PS4 is just getting the CapCup push.

Skilletor

Yeah, I'd say that's most of the FGC right now. I completely understand why EVO is on USF4, but since CEO isn't a CPT event and has COMMUNITY in the title, I find it weird that USF4 will be on PS4.

I mean, I prefer it (if the port is as good as I think it will be), but I don't understand it.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
come...... COOMEEE.....

Wait... Is it a premiere event? I know FR and EVO are two of them, I don't remember the third one.

Edit:

I think its either NCR or SCR, I forget. Pretty salty EC doesn't have a premiere event that's closer. Atlanta is really far for a lot of people, 12 hour drives...

fader

Wait... Is it a premiere event? I know FR and EVO are two of them, I don't remember the third one.

Edit:

I think its either NCR or SCR, I forget. Pretty salty EC doesn't have a premiere event that's closer. Atlanta is really far for a lot of people, 12 hour drives...

yea CEO is a premiere

So Daisuke is doing an english talk at GDC?

I.... did not know he was speaking.

Tripon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9xAapVYtQU

VGBootcamp just announced Super Smash Con. Focused on Smash games 64, Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4. No PM. $30,000 total Pot Bonus, in a 100,000 sq ft. facility. Held in Aug. 6-9th. Interesting choice since its only a couple of weeks after EVO, with EVO making a push to host Melee and Smash 4.

alstein

Checked the Steam ID's of the folks who randomly joined my games- lots of Asians with 98 (and Brazilians). Lots of Spanish-speakers with 2k2. (not all mexicans but from that part of the world or Caribbean)

Not even GGPO would help with playing Asians. It's bad even on Skullgirls.

Tripon

Edit:

NCR and SCR are both premiere events.

EVO is considered to be a global event (one level higher).

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I will see you then Fader, time to start saving up money for a flight and hotel to Florida.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9xAapVYtQU

VGBootcamp just announced Super Smash Con. Focused on Smash games 64, Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4. No PM. $30,000 total Pot Bonus, in a 100,000 sq ft. facility. Held in Aug. 6-9th. Interesting choice since its only a couple of weeks after EVO, with EVO making a push to host Melee and Smash 4.

Smash community might tell EVO to go eat its heart out with that kind of pot bonus unless Nintendo actually puts a decent pot bonus to beat it.

Skilletor

I'm fine with selling out to Sony. These top players deserve better payout for their performances. it's going to mean higher levels of competition for me to watch. It's going to mean less need of dual modded sticks (I only have to take a single stick to EVO this year), it's going to mean a unified community since pretty much everything is going to be coming to PS4 anyway.

The only downside, and it's a large one, is the stick situation. Doesn't matter to me so much, I love buying new sticks, but it doesn't make sense that this is a hurdle with USB devices.

Kumubou

Checked the Steam ID's of the folks who randomly joined my games- lots of Asians with 98 (and Brazilians). Lots of Spanish-speakers with 2k2. (not all mexicans but from that part of the world or Caribbean)

Not even GGPO would help with playing Asians. It's bad even on Skullgirls.
I know that the west coast to Japan "works" for the rollback-based games I've tried it with. It's hardly lag-free, but it works far better than it has any right to. However, crossing both the Pacific and North America is probably a (network) bridge too far.

I'm fine with selling out to Sony. These top players deserve better payout for their performances. it's going to mean higher levels of competition for me to watch. It's going to mean less need of dual modded sticks (I only have to take a single stick to EVO this year), it's going to mean a unified community since pretty much everything is going to be coming to PS4 anyway.

The only downside, and it's a large one, is the stick situation. Doesn't matter to me so much, I love buying new sticks, but it doesn't make sense that this is a hurdle with USB devices.
My one real concern is how serious Sony is in regards to backing SF5. They're throwing in lots of money this year and they'll probably run it back (if not even bigger) in 2016, but what happens beyond that? How committed are they to pushing e-sportscompetitive videogames? What happens when the music stops and the money goes away? One of the things that FGC events have always emphasized (and rightfully so) is sustainability. On the flip side, I don't think making an early move to the PS4 is going to kill the community if this flops in 2-3 years (as it would have largely happened by then anyway).

Top Bottom