• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Mar 2-8 | Capcom does the Monster Nash

2 button sf1 still had 6 attacks. The pads were pressure sensitive, so the strength of the move was determined how you hit either pad.

The original cabs were pressure sensitive, but later versions changed to either 4 or 6 buttons as the pressure sensitive buttons were both ass-tier and easy to break.

alstein

samsho had a cool layout
Light
Medium
Kick
a button for movement options

L+M=Heavy

It didn't work all that well in practice- inputs got really cluttered. SamSho needed more buttons.

It was a direct influence on Arcana Heart, which has a pretty good system. They knew they needed 5 buttons after working on Special.

I'd love to see Fatal Fury go 6-button if it ever came back.

Essay

It doesn't, a sweep is a sweep is a sweep. Doesn't matter if it's a punch, kick, or command normal.

It adds a bit of execution considerations though (which I'm honestly enjoying). For example, in Third Strike, I would input Chun's cr.MK xx super as 23MK6236K, but with a character like Hanzo in Yata, the only consistent method I've found is 23612HK36K (with the down-back just being injected to force my hand over). I mean, I can get it starting with just 2HK and dialing the super input lightning-fast, but the tight cancel window means I'm going to likely do the input too early and just get the 3HK sweep if I try that.

NEO0MJ

If Akira doesn't count as a tank, I don't know who does.

58956616.gif

Mr. X

Capcom has patent on 6 button layouts in Japan. Not kidding. Only US fighters imported to Japan will get 6 buttons like KI and SG.

I'm stuck on a bus in a blizzard. I'd be salty, but that wouldn't make the roads better.

So, 'weird question to pass the time. Is it possible for somebody to want to want to learn a fighting game and become good/competent at it but not want to play in tournaments? That's kind of where I find myself right now with fighting games. Work sucks up too much of my time.

alstein

I'm stuck on a bus in a blizzard. I'd be salty, but that wouldn't make the roads better.

So, 'weird question to pass the time. Is it possible for somebody to want to want to learn a fighting game and become good/competent at it but not want to play in tournaments? That's kind of where I find myself right now with fighting games. Work sucks up too much of my time.

Very much so, that's been me a large part of my time with fighting games.

stn

Any GAF'ers interested in adding a new friend for any of the following:

X360: USF4, Street Fighter x Tekken, Injustice
PC GGPO: Fatal Fury Special, Real Bout Special

I'm cool with all skill levels. EST timezone, on every night but FRI and SAT. Please quote this so I can see it easily.

4r5

Does not playing in tournaments mean no access to tournament level competition?

By yourself, you can soak in all the game knowledge and grind out all the execution you want, but at least 1/3 of what a fighting game is resides in the head of your opponent. (Well, varies from game to game, matchup to matchup)

Going to tournaments is kind of like vaccinations. As long as a significant enough portion of your community gets vaccinated, you yourself can forgo a vaccination and still be protected. Other people can go out to tournaments, and then you can experience that tournament edge from them. A lot of players in my community never competed in tournaments, but could of done well in them because they spared with tournament-caliber players.

You definitely can, but the part that I've learned the most is the nerves. Everyone is playing to win, so some things that worked in casual no longer works and the opponent is playing on a different level. Also, you will get the jitters to the max. I remember the first one I went to, I was shaking the whole time. It's a different experience, and I would highly suggest you to try it out at least once.

As far as purely skill, you definitely can get there without going to tournaments. I believe some of the top level players today got there by being online warriors at first.

edit: I'm still not tournament level but I still go there.

4r5

well, if he's never going to go to a tournament, then he doesn't have to worry about his lack of tournament nerves (tournament nose?)

i suppose it's debatable whether you consider that kind of hardness as part of being a good fighter player

Seyavesh

it's very possible to be successful at a game skillwise without playing in tourneys (by only playing long sets for money or whatever) but don't hold yourself to any expectations when you actually do enter a tournament because that environment is wildly different from casuals or money matches

dealing with tourney nerves is a very vital skill in competition that doesn't really exist in MMs- managing nerves from match to match (especially when matched up with a "killer"), especially when you enter top 3 (or 8 or whatever)

it's also an important skill to be able to adapt to wildly different playstyles and skill levels quickly- breezing through easy opponents and then running into a killer you didn't expect can be wildly disorienting and if you can't get on your feet and going then you'll just lose to someone "you shouldn't have" lost to

i really enjoy tournaments for that kind of very specialized setting that doesn't really exist otherwise- when dudes are really hungry there's a really sharp edge to their play that i feel can only be exposed in tourney- matches where both you and the other guy enter that zone are incredible and nerve-wracking. the moment when dudes crack or when you crack sticks with you for awhile too. it's real great!

Does not playing in tournaments mean no access to tournament level competition?

By yourself, you can soak in all the game knowledge and grind out all the execution you want, but at least 1/3 of what a fighting game is resides in the head of your opponent. (Well, varies from game to game, matchup to matchup)

Going to tournaments is kind of like vaccinations. As long as a significant enough portion of your community gets vaccinated, you yourself can forgo a vaccination and still be protected. Other people can go out to tournaments, and then you can experience that tournament edge from them. A lot of players in my community never competed in tournaments, but could of done well in them because they spared with tournament-caliber players.

I definitely have access to tournament level competition. I've got good players in pretty much every game I'm interested in locally, some more than others.

I still go to tournaments occasionally, but I'd rather just play long sessions with the players in my community.

Clawww

tournaments are just one very specific way of competing--a structure that happens to have the most money and most serious competition involved, so it's a pretty convenient way to distinguish great players.

Tik-Tok

I need to get a PS4 stick immediately. My Xrd progress depends on it.

The Canadian dollar is so shit though its gonna kill me to buy one :(

Anyone have any suggestions for sticks. Right now I am leaning towards the Hori HRAP 4 Kai if I can even find one. Mostly because of the price point.

Save me QANBA Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.

I personally wouldn't have the motivation to play a game at a high level if there were no tournaments to prove it in. If I did become good at a game without playing in tournament I'd at least then want to start going to them to prove it. I don't understand why you'd put in the time and dedication to be good and then not want to compete in the standard competitive format. Maybe that's just me.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Why did I just realize there are so many Canadians?

Did you trip over a bag of milk?
I personally wouldn't have the motivation to play a game at a high level if there were no tournaments to prove it in. If I did become good at a game without playing in tournament I'd at least then want to start going to them to prove it. I don't understand why you'd put in the time and dedication to be good and then not want to compete in the standard competitive format. Maybe that's just me.

Someone could enjoy the game but hate the pressure of tournaments

I need to get a PS4 stick immediately. My Xrd progress depends on it.

The Canadian dollar is so shit though its gonna kill me to buy one :(

Anyone have any suggestions for sticks. Right now I am leaning towards the Hori HRAP 4 Kai if I can even find one. Mostly because of the price point.

Save me QANBA Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.

I was wondering if Canadian Joysticks could mod a 360/PS3 stick to work on the PS4..

I don't want to have 3 sticks damnit

Most Skullgirls players use 8, though. The assist inputs are too hard to do manually in the middle of the neutral. Even Duckator uses 2 macros.
You gotta hand it to them for making the game so playable even with macros (unless you are fanatiq, I guess?). SG's seven buttons (duo teams 4 lyfe) are no harder than BB's or MvC's four buttons to me. BB's underlying systems have always taken more of a conscious effort to learn on the other hand.

You gotta hand it to them for making the game so playable even with macros (unless you are fanatiq, I guess?). SG's seven buttons (duo teams 4 lyfe) are no harder than BB's or MvC's four buttons to me. BB's underlying systems have always taken more of a conscious effort to learn on the other hand.
That's because Skullgirls still utilizes the Magic Series, while BlazBlue uses the Gatling System, which is unintuitive and stupid. I do wish Skullgirls went down to 4 buttons + 2 assists, though, because my fingers get spread too far while playing.

Lol you're funny Osu.

Just being real. If you go through the stress and hard work to reach a high level of play you're probably very competitive by nature and would want to showcase it in tournament. I imagine it's very rare to have the drive to hit that level without the drive to beat people when it matters.

It's possible. One of the best Injustice players I ever played with disliked tournaments and only attended a few majors. That guy is different though because he is an old school tournament veteran who had long been sick of traveling. That's a bit different than the secret grand master who can body everyone but just chooses not to compete.

Top Bottom