• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Mar 2-8 | Capcom does the Monster Nash

Seyavesh

i'd like to double down on the tourney edge thing being the #1 thing that separates good players and mediocre players in terms of competency

i can't really quite explain it besides what i said before- there's a level of sharpness in terms of overall decision making and execution that makes a person's play feel almost machine-like in terms of efficiency while still maintaining their habits and flaws they'd have otherwise

there's also the playstyle/matchup exposure thing that adds to the comprehensiveness of their ability as a player but that's not really a tournament specific thing as it is just something that occurs in tourneys due to more folks from different parts coming along

Anybody know exactly how much you save using the promo code for a room at the Bally's?

Trying to figure out if its cheaper just to get a whole package or to use the code separately from the flight.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I must be the opposite of just about every other fighting game player. I'm driven to lose.

Like don't take that as in I don't play seriously. I do. But the problem is I don't get to play seriously enough I end up getting bored and not giving a shit. I just want to be ground into dust.

Anybody know exactly how much you save using the promo code for a room at the Bally's?

Trying to figure out if its cheaper just to get a whole package or to use the code separately from the flight.

For me, it was about $480 (without resort fee) for Thursday-Sunday (leaving Monday morning). I'm guessing with resort fees, it'd cost $600? I believe it's $85.00/day for Thursday & Sunday, $135/day Friday & Saturday.

That's because Skullgirls still utilizes the Magic Series, while BlazBlue uses the Gatling System, which is unintuitive and stupid. I do wish Skullgirls went down to 4 buttons + 2 assists, though, because my fingers get spread too far while playing.
I felt this way about six button fighters until I played VSav and realized how much the extra buttons bring on the animation front. I admit that on a gameplay level it'd probably be an overall net positive, though. I'm not sure, but I think I recall a stream where Mike discussed that they couldn't do a four buttons for SG because of MvC3. It might have been patent related stuff in Japan, but I hesitate to make an absolute declaration without the video. Too bad this stuff is lost in a veritable haystack of links.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";154434061]Happy to oblige.[/QUOTE]
If you can't keep at least a 2-1 lead over me in match wins in GG, you are gonna be failing at that.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";154435120]I don't really play GG, though. P4A, sure.

I'm still waiting on a hitbox for PS4 before going back to GG. P4AU is the better game, anyway.[/QUOTE]
I have about as much interest in P4A as my ability to run

Kikirin

What's hard to understand about A-B-C?

If I had to guess, it's the fact that you can reverse back to particular "weaker" normals (e.g., 5C > 6A with Amane in BB), are barred from certain sequences (e.g. cannot 2K > f.5S / 2S > 2D but can 2K > 2D with Bedman in Xrd), and generally being more character specific compared to magic series. I can see Gatlings feeling completely arbitrary compared to Melty's / UNIEL's (almost) complete freeflow or MVC3's / Skullgirls' stricter light-to-heavy series.

notworksafe

If you find a good deal on a 3rd party site, call the hotel and let them know. They'll usually be happy to beat the 3rd party price so they can get 100% of your money.

Flight and Hotel for Evo ended up costing me 600 total, without resort fee, on Expedia.com. So

I'm being ripped off right now. Are you staying at Bally's? This is important because at my old age of 31, I don't want to be walking to and from the Evo halls.

Malice215

Does not playing in tournaments mean no access to tournament level competition?

By yourself, you can soak in all the game knowledge and grind out all the execution you want, but at least 1/3 of what a fighting game is resides in the head of your opponent. (Well, varies from game to game, matchup to matchup)

Going to tournaments is kind of like vaccinations. As long as a significant enough portion of your community gets vaccinated, you yourself can forgo a vaccination and still be protected. Other people can go out to tournaments, and then you can experience that tournament edge from them. A lot of players in my community never competed in tournaments, but could of done well in them because they spared with tournament-caliber players.

Having access to tournament-level competition is one thing, being yourself prepared to play in a tournament is another because playing against people where it doesn't count doesn't totally prepare you for when it does.

You're not going to get that tournament experience anywhere else but from a tournament, so thinking of it as a vaccination you can forgo is crazy. It's also why we have kids bringing back measles like it's chic.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Having access to tournament-level competition is one thing, being yourself prepared to play in a tournament is another because playing against people where it doesn't count doesn't totally prepare you for when it does.

You're not going to get that tournament experience anywhere else but from a tournament, so thinking of it as a vaccination you can forgo is crazy. It's also why we have kids bringing back measles like it's chic.
I apparently must also be the only person who gets the exact same adrenalin flow in casuals as I get in tournaments.

I apparently must also be the only person who gets the exact same adrenalin flow in casuals as I get in tournaments.

Y............................................. es?

edit: Just did a search on those websites for hotels and the price I've gotten is lower. I'll check on periodically just in case.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Budgeting out a Virtual Console shopping spree funded by my tax return. What's the best Fatal Fury game (that isn't Garou)? is Shadow Dancer a good Shinobi game?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

Fatal Fury Special and Real Bout 2 would probably be the common answers to that question

I found it very disappointing after Revenge of Shinobi, but some people liked it.

Haven't touched the game in years though.

ty
so far the list includes
chrono trigger, final fantasy iii, donkey kong country 2, phantasy star iv, pulseman, alex kidd in shinobi world and last blade 2

leaning toward fatal fury special though RB2 seems cooool

Tik-Tok

Yea thanks a lot. It might be cheaper not to bother with the discount code tbh

I just looked on Expedia.ca it's :

Room 1: 2 Adults avg./night
4 Nights C$149.18
Taxes & Fees per night
Taxes & Fees
C$17.91
Trip Total: C$668.36

Thats from Thursday to Monday at Paris. No Flight. That's slightly cheaper per night than booking through the EVO site when conversion rates are taken in to account.

I'm from Seattle so that reduces cost from the flight. And yeah, that's at Bally's

Oh wait this is all including flight? Mine is getting paid for as a late birthday gift, so I'm only paying $440 (not including the hotel tax). Am I getting ripped on the hotel by itself if I go through EVO?

I just looked on Expedia.ca it's :

Room 1: 2 Adults avg./night
4 Nights C$149.18
Taxes & Fees per night
Taxes & Fees
C$17.91
Trip Total: C$668.36

Thats from Thursday to Monday at Paris. No Flight. That's slightly cheaper per night than booking through the EVO site when conversion rates are taken in to account.

The package I found at $757 for flight and 4 nights is a good I guess

I appreciate all the responses, folks!

Thing is, I attended a bunch of local tournaments at the time that the original Street Fighter 4 came out. I would occasionally place well, but most times I'd find myself either two and out or somewhere in the middle of the results, and that was fine. I've only been to two majors; traveling is tough on a seven on/seven off schedule. I do enjoy the competition, but now I find myself really enjoying just playing long sessions with folks of whom I'm either equal with or folks who are better than me.

I still enjoy tournaments, it's a way to gauge where you're really at skill wise, but they don't thrill me like they used to. Either way, I still enjoy playing fighting games with those who enjoy them like I do.

Shouta

Oh wait this is all including flight? Mine is getting paid for as a late birthday gift, so I'm only paying $440 (not including the hotel tax). Am I getting ripped on the hotel by itself if I go through EVO?

Yeah, that's including flight. Flights were roughly 225 when I booked so the package deal I got was the hotel for 375 or so, I think? It was super early, so I think I got a really good deal on it.

Right now Bally's through Expedia is showing 540 for Bally's that weekend which is more expensive than the Evo deal.

Top Bottom