• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | March 30 - April 6 | High Speed Korean Downloads

jbug617

Banned
New ranking tournaments for Pro Tour

Northwest Majors
May 3-4
Seattle, WA, USA

Hypemania 2014
May 3-4
Culiacan Sinaloa, Mexico

Ultimate Fighting Game Tournament 10
May 23-25
Chicago, IL, USA

Dreamhack Summer
Jun 14-17
Jönköping, Sweden

Dreamhack Valencia
Jul 17-20
Valencia, Spain

Shadowloo Showdown V
Aug 29-31
Melbourne, Australia

Dreamhack Stockholm
Sep 26-27
Stockholm, Sweden

Red Fight District III
Oct 11-12
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Congrats Keits on getting a spot as a ranking tournament. I know you guys wanted to earn a spot as a premiere tournament more. But I think they want more spots for international tournaments considering 5 of the 7 are already in the US.

The only issue with all these tournaments are the severe lack of Asian tournaments. And their really isn't anyone to blame though. They're only including big tournaments run by the community or held within bigger video game events(like Dreamhack or E3). And the Asian side of the world sorely lacks big community events with hardly any big gaming events as well. I figure their will be another TGS tourney but that's practically it. They could give points to Topanga, but that's not really fair since it's a invite only tournament with a very small pool of players. You practically earn points by being included already. Maybe they'll do qualifying tournaments again for that region, who knows.

Overall I'm really excited to see so many tournaments added. It's like a year long circuit with plenty of events to attend to accumulate points. Unlike the EVO Tournament season, these points are much more meaningful. Justin stacking points a few years ago probably wouldn't have amounted to nothing if he ran into Bonchan in the 4th round who had no points. But this on the other hand is a race to the finish between guys who don't win a automatic qualifier. Not only are you trying to finish as high as possible, but you'll have to hope that certain guys ahead of you lose so they don't earn more points to stay ahead. Pretty much like the race to get into the post season in sports, which I find very exciting.

Markman, talk to Daigo. Convince him to go to TFC, please.

casperOne

The only issue with all these tournaments are the severe lack of Asian tournaments. And their really isn't anyone to blame though. They're only including big tournaments run by the community or held within bigger video game events(like Dreamhack or E3). And the Asian side of the world sorely lacks big community events with hardly any big gaming events as well. I figure their will be another TGS tourney but that's practically it. They could give points to Topanga, but that's not really fair since it's a invite only tournament with a very small pool of players. You practically earn points by being included already. Maybe they'll do qualifying tournaments again for that region, who knows.

That's more a symptom of the real issue, IMO, which is comprehensive tracking of the data.

You can weigh top 4, or tweak those as much as you want, but if you're not tracking it in the first place, it's not going to matter.

That said, they're making a good faith effort here, so let's hope over time we'll see it included.

But agreed that right now it makes for a very US-centric view, but you have to start somewhere.

Overall I'm really excited to see so many tournaments added. It's like a year long circuit with plenty of events to attend to accumulate points. Unlike the EVO Tournament season, these points are much more meaningful. Justin stacking points a few years ago probably wouldn't have amounted to nothing if he ran into Bonchan in the 4th round who had no points. But this on the other hand is a race to the finish between guys who don't win a automatic qualifier. Not only are you trying to finish as high as possible, but you'll have to hope that certain guys ahead of you lose so they don't earn more points to stay ahead. Pretty much like the race to get into the post season in sports, which I find very exciting.

Are these points being used to seed anything? If not, then the meaning is only in the interpretation of the results, and you can interpret the data many ways.

Horseress

It was a team effort! I really have to thank the EVO guys and Bandai Namco for letting me put things together.

Looking forward to the "Topanga League" of Tekken! You're doing a great job taking care of your community, with love, hard work and good ideas! you da bess

Are these points being used to seed anything? If not, then the meaning is only in the interpretation of the results, and you can interpret the data many ways.

Their are a total of 16 spots for the Capcom Cup. Of those 16, their are 10 automatic qualifiers by winning one of the 10 premiere events. Ryan Hart is the first and only one qualified so far. The rest of the 6 are up for grabs by earning as many points as possible.

So it's kind of like how you win your division in the NFL, you're in regardless. Everybody else is fighting for a wild card spot. That's why I'm excited about it. I hope it's a really close race with people sitting at home knowing they're at 15 or so their is another tournament on the other side of the world that they can't attend. But they know number 17, 18, and 19 are there and could knock them out of their place.

Their are a total of 16 spots for the Capcom Cup. Of those 16, their are 10 automatic qualifiers by winning one of the 10 premiere events. Ryan Hart is the first and only one qualified so far. The rest of the 6 are up for grabs by earning as many points as possible.

So it's kind of like how you win your division in the NFL, you're in regardless. Everybody else is fighting for a wild card spot. That's why I'm excited about it. I hope it's a really close race with people sitting at home knowing they're at 15 or so their is another tournament on the other side of the world that they can't attend. But they know number 17, 18, and 19 are there and could knock them out of their place.

But if someone wins multiple AQs, aren't there extra at-large spots?
(this sounds like a BCS discussion LOL)

A Player may qualify only for one spot at the Capcom Cup. Players who have qualified for the Capcom Cup are allowed to continue entering Tournaments and gaining Ranking Points, but should they win another Premier Tournament or place amongst the top 6 players in Ranking Points on the Cutoff Date, the spot goes to the next eligible Player.

http://capcomprotour.com/rules/

Basically any premiere tournament with Ryan Hart in the GF's of means the other person is already qualified for the Capcom Cup. No screwing around though. They have a no collusion rule.

casperOne

I think we got the streams crossed. I was referring to the SRK rankings, not the Capcom Pro Tour rankings. =)

Texas Showdown starts today.

Friday, April 4
2PM - 10PM: Doors open, Registrations, Check-in
6PM: Project M, Capcom vs. SNK 2, Marvel vs. Capcom 2
7PM: GGAC, Street Fighter x Tekken
8PM: Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike

Saturday, April 5
9AM: Doors open
10AM: Injustice, Killer Instinct
12PM: King of Fighters 13 , Super Smash Bros Melee , Street Fighter Alpha 3
1PM: Tekken Tag Tournament 2 , Street Fighter IV
3PM: Soul Calibur 5, Super Street Fighter II Turbo
4PM: BlazBlue, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
7PM: Top 8 King of Fighters 13, Top 8 Melee, Top 8 Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Sunday, April 6
9AM: Doors Open
10AM: Blaze Blue Top 8, Killer Instinct Top 8
1PM: Injustice Top 8, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Top 16
4PM: Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition Top 32

Warpticon

So, in the campaign to let everyone know that Marvel is, in fact, anime, I present this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmvUnYiripg

A new Marvel anime called Marvel Disk Wars: The Avengers. It's like some weird beyblade/pokemon thing, except instead of battling with tops, they fight with discs that summon Marvel characters, apparently. It's super weird, and I can't wait to watch it. It will either be surprisingly good like Build Fighters or an entertaining trainwreck.

It also has some...interesting redesigns of Marvel characters.

40G0ETx.jpg

BkWlzKZCcAEUjIb.jpg

I can't get over that Strange look.

Also, somebody needs to edit this video or screenshots from it into profiles of Marvel players with their characters.

mbpm1

A new Marvel anime called Marvel Disk Wars: The Avengers. It's like some weird beyblade/pokemon thing, except instead of battling with tops, they fight with discs that summon Marvel characters, apparently. It's super weird, and I can't wait to watch it. It will either be surprisingly good like Build Fighters or an entertaining trainwreck.

40G0ETx.jpg

Strange: My outfit is in flames, in flames, in flames...

So, in the campaign to let everyone know that Marvel is, in fact, anime, I present this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmvUnYiripg

40G0ETx.jpg

BkWlzKZCcAEUjIb.jpg

I can't get over that Strange look.

Also, somebody needs to edit this video or screenshots from it into profiles of Marvel players with their characters.

WHY

Top Bottom