• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 16 will be GOTY and the ultimate FF game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This breakdown of how Eikon powers works in combat has me super hyped.

And I like how you can switch between Eikons on the fly and mix up between them for even more combo option.

Last edited:

L*][*N*K

Banned
You guys are not taking those Tears of the Kingdom reviews well huh?
GIF by PSX Test

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I agree but if just that small sample was enough for people to consider it then at least that part must be phenomenal.
I'm SUPER hyped for this game based everything I myself seen so far but I wouldn't put too much weight on previews.

Last edited:
Or maybe it stopped being underappreciated because it finally was recognized as being the best FF after years of negligence.

Takes time for people to realize some things.

Such as FF16 not being
a real Final Fantasy

Mike Myers Evil Laugh GIF
If that's the case then why are people still calling it "underrated"?

sigmaZ

Prediction: It will be fairly well received on the heel of 15, but people will still be divided about the combat and gameplay saying it feels more like a straight action game and lacks what made Final Fantasy Final Fantasy.

Markio128

Not sure about that, but what I am sure of is that I’m really looking forward to it. A top-quality action RPG is not something I’ll turn my nose up at.

Tomeru

The year of the zelda always takes away the shine from other game, unjustly too. But what can you do? Its the way of the world.

Madflavor

I'm SUPER hyped for this game based everything I myself seen so far but I wouldn't put too much weight on previews.
I agree but if just that small sample was enough for people to consider it then at least that part must be phenomenal.

TotK’s gameplay is obviously sounding like peak gaming in 2023, so even if FFXVI delivers with it’s fast paced and flashy DMC combat, I can still see TotK being top dog due to how innovative, fun, and smooth it plays.

But TotK is gonna be a lot lighter on story and characters. So if FFXVI goes in hard with the story and gives us something really special, then it might actually have a chance against TotK. Because then critics would have to decide what they value more. Gameplay or Story.

High metacritic scores and game of the year don't always align. Super Mario galaxy 2, rdr2, and gta5 come mind.

Death stranding also won the most game of year awards in it's year despite only having a low 80s metascore.

Then again this is zelda so we'll see.

Fabieter

Does final fantasy even has a chance no matter how good it is. Sounds like everyone got it settled already which is really weird.

Yoboman

High metacritic scores and game of the year don't always align. Super Mario galaxy 2, rdr2, and gta5 come mind.

Death stranding also won the most game of year awards in it's year despite only having a low 80s metascore.

Then again this is zelda so we'll see.
You can't compare Death Stranding with other games. It was the most love or hate game ever. Tons of 10s and a whole bunch of 5s

The 10s were giving it GOTY

You can't compare Death Stranding with other games. It was the most love or hate game ever. Tons of 10s and a whole bunch of 5s

The 10s were giving it GOTY
Indeed! Reviews were interesting for once! When a game gets 95+ on metacritic we have to wait a month or so for actual good criticism to appear.

My point still stands though final fantasy fans are a passionate bunch. Maybe if ff16 knocks it out the park zelda may have a fight on its hands.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
If that's the case then why are people still calling it "underrated"?
Because it was overshadowed by FF7 and even FF8.
Not only that, but it was released at the end of the PS1 gen -- much like Chrono Cross -- and it didn't do well sales-wise.

While everyone has their favorite Final Fantasy, the 9th was when SquareSoft was at their peak.
They had mastered the PS1 and their pre-rendered backgrounds and presentation were better than ever.

Even Sakaguchi claims that FF9 was his favorite one.
FF9 marked the end of an era for gaming and for SquareSoft.

Not only that, but it was released at the end of the PS1 gen -- much like Chrono Cross -- and it didn't do well sales-wise.

While everyone has their favorite Final Fantasy, the 9th was when SquareSoft was at their peak.
They had mastered the PS1 and their pre-rendered backgrounds and presentation were better than ever.

Overshadowed by FF7? I guess. FF8? Nope, FF8 was divisive back then and that game in itself was heavily overshadowed than 7.

>While everyone has their favorite Final Fantasy, the 9th was when SquareSoft was at their peak.

Nope.

>They had mastered the PS1 and their pre-rendered backgrounds and presentation were better than ever.

At all these technological advancements came at the expense of the absurdly sluggish battles. Also even if it is graphically more advanced than 7, the colour scheme looks more washed out.

>Even Sakaguchi claims that FF9 was his favorite one.

I hear people make this argument a lot. Why do you guys place so much emphasis on what someone elses opinion of the game is rather than coming to your own conclusion.

>FF9 marked the end of an era for gaming and for SquareSoft.

If anything FF10 was really the end of the classic square era.

After 10 came out the series has been widely experimental with long inconsistent wait times between games rather than the regular 1 or 2 year schedule. Games after 10 have been more polarising.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rea

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Overshadowed by FF7? I guess. FF8? Nope, FF8 was divisive back then and that game in itself was heavily overshadowed than 7.
Yep, you were born in the 2000's.

Yeah they're at their peak now, how could I be so blind.

At all these technological advancements came at the expense of the absurdly sluggish battles. Also even if it is graphically more advanced than 7, the colour scheme looks more washed out.
d3d848ff-cdc7-46d1-8e39-c6dc6f3efe45.jpg

I hear people make this argument a lot. Why do you guys place so much emphasis on what someone elses opinion of the game is rather than coming to your own conclusion.
Yeah how dare I mention the opinion of the CREATOR of the franchise, and absolutely NOBODY regarding Final Fantasy.
I guess he knows nothing about the franchise.

I should probably take your much more elaborated hipster criticism of "muh overrated" instead, so that you can feel special.

Ignored.

Minsc

Gold Member

FFX was possibly my favorite not sure. But playing through DQ11 which I love now I am seeing how much similar it feels to FFX, and I am not surprised given how much I like both games.

For some reason I haven't been able to get invested in to 9. I've played I, II, III, IV, V (but not finished), VI, VII & VIIR, X (+ expansion), XII (also not finished) XIII (+ expansions), and XV, and will play XVI. I'd like to try 9 again, but keep hoping they'll remake it like with X.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
I’d be sad too if I didn’t own a Switch (for Tears of the Kingdom). Hope it’s the true Game of the Year in your heart, OP.

:p

Last edited:
I’d be sad too if I didn’t own a Switch (for Tears of the Kingdom). Hope it’s the true Game of the Year in your heart, OP.

:p
I own a switch, I just don't have any interest for TOTK. BOTW bored me to death in the first few hours I played of it, climbing system is weird and the world feels empty.

Last edited:
Yep, you were born in the 2000's.

Yeah they're at their peak now, how could I be so blind.

d3d848ff-cdc7-46d1-8e39-c6dc6f3efe45.jpg

Yeah how dare I mention the opinion of the CREATOR of the franchise, and absolutely NOBODY regarding Final Fantasy.
I guess he knows nothing about the franchise.

I should probably take your much more elaborated hipster criticism of "muh overrated" instead, so that you can feel special.

Ignored.
Lol, no actual arguments on why FF9 is the "peak of the series" whatsoever out of this wall of waffle except for sucking off sakaguchi and worshipping him like some deity. Just because he created the franchise doesn't mean his opinions about the games he created are gospel. If he says FF9 is a game about hippos dancing in space would that mean he is right? FF9 fanboys are something else. Should be a religion at this point with all the sakaguchi worship. Good riddance.

Last edited:

PillsOff

Banned
It looks like they are tryin n put some competent people with an actual plan n vision behind it.

I mean 2023 Final Fantasy game developed BEFORE it's release is already something special

You
With the top 3 games this year, I doubt it will be close to that.

It's locked down between starfield, tears of kingdom and spiderman 2.
You Must be drunk on Donkey Piss with a dash Ape juice if you think Starfield can be mentioned in the same breath as FF16 and Zelda ToTK,not only will this game be a BUGGY mess that Bathesda is loved for by pcbots but it will be a disappointment like Redfall...Spiderman 2 is the only contender

Hated BOTW too,finished 2 divine beats,freakin poor excuse of a dungeon,quit,cane back years later finished the 3rd then quit again,this didnt feel or play like a zelda game,it felt like a Open world tech demo,made by a bunch of telly tubbies look alike teens high on saw dust and baby powder,worst zelda game and one of the worst and overrated games of all time.....BUT DAMN....TOTK just proves that Nintendo still has the magic,the gameplay mechanics are endless,makes all other AAA games appear extremely outdated and 100 years behind when it comes to Game design and Game play mechanics, Nintendo are Game Dev Wizards
I own a switch, I just don't have any interest for TOTK. BOTW bored me to death in the first few hours I played of it, climbing system is weird and the world feels empty.

Top Bottom