• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VI isn't really impressing? Has Chrono Trigger ruined JRPGs for me?

Yeah I think I agree with that, too. I agree with the description of CT's being far worse, but that's precisely why I always liked FF VI's more. In fact, it's why I always like FF VI's world in general. CT (and to a lesser extent I felt FF VII had this problem, too) I always sort of disliked how their entire world's basically felt like 1 main city/castle with a few random bases or settles around. There's not much of a world in CT even. FF VII is a bit better but for a world with a supposed history of foreign war it always felt like outside of Midgar and Junon the rest of the world was unbelievably undeveloped -- CT much worse in that regard.

I definitely see what you're saying here and CT's world always felt very small to me for that very reason. Personally I don't mind because of the time travel theme. You certainly don't lack for a variety of locations, from prehistoric village to floating magic kingdom to high technology/postapocalyptic wasteland and the richness of the setting comes more from the history of the world being very fleshed out because you as the player get to experience it firsthand.

Ralemont

not me
? Why is that? Most late SNES RPG hold fairly well today, especially compared to some early PS1 stuff. Unless you really hate random encounters.

Random encounters are okay. Random encounters every five steps followed by an easy-peasy battle to see your meters go up a smudge isn't.

FFVI is one of my least favorite Final Fantasies. The battle system is boring, especially coming off the revelation of FFV. The character cast is too big and doesn't adequately develop the "core" cast (inb4avatarquote). And the story, though having a few VERY bright spots, mostly feels dull. Especially the World of Ruin.

I can admit there's a few things about VI that would have been remarkable for its time, but I agree with people saying it hasn't aged well.

My buddy played through FFVI and FF Tactics for the first time last month. His conclusion was that VI was kinda bad, and that Tactics was the best Final Fantasy. Some games stand the test of time, and those are the true gems.

Top Bottom