• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth New Trailer Revealed, Coming in Early 2024 on 2 Discs | Summer Game Fest 2023

supernova8

Banned
Looked a bit rough but maybe that's just the youtube compression plus it being a 1080p video. I'm guessing it will look way better in 4K.

Rykan

Tell this to all the people who aren't even aware that Kingdom Hearts is available on "PC" because of the Epic exclusivity. Something being exclusive to Epic is almost the same thing as not being on PC at all, it's really not the same as regular releases being available on all platforms.
Yeah, citation needed here.

I apologize, and I say this with all due respect, but the point you're trying to make is stupid. It just is. A game released through the Epic Game Store is on PC. Period. No ifs or buts about it.

Are you aware that the most played PC games are not even on Steam? Is someone playing League of Legends, Valorant, or World of Warcraft just not playing on PC because it's not on Steam? Of course not.

Steam is a webstore and a launcher. Calling it an "Ecosystem" is a huge stretch. A launcher doesn't become an ecosystem just because it has a friend list and an achievements page. Besides, you can still access your steam friendslist while you play a game on EGS.
Think of it like if there was a game on ps5 that would launch a seperate os instead of the ps5 os, where you can play the game but you don't have access to your usual menus / stats, no trophies, no friends lists or anything, no psn, just a game locked on its own separate system. I'm sure this would bother a lot of console players, and it's the same for PC.

Epic is like a completely different ecosystem, it's like running a closed console system on your PC, it's awful, and on top of it many of us don't want to support that store out of principle too because of their terrible practices and policies.
It's not like a seperate OS. Steam is a storefront and a launcher, not an OS. But let's humour this example: Let's say that you put a game in your PS5 and for some reason, it won't let you get trophies or access your friendslist: Even in this hypothetical scenario, absolutely no one would then argue that the game is not released on PS5. No one. If you can play it on your PS5, it's on PS5. If you can get a game on PC, it's on PC. Regardless of distribution method.

I don't understand these insane hyperbolic takes from the Anti Epic Gamestore crowd. You can voice your displeasure about a game not releasing on your storefront of choice without making factually inaccurate claims by saying that it's like not releasing on PC at all.

RaduN

Looking good for a cross-gen title (is this coming to ps4 as well?).
Obviously not comparable with 16 in graphics, and it needs much more work (you can't just run through grass in this day and age like you're a ghost, you just can't), but highly anticipated either way.

Reactions: K2D
What are you smoking?
This wipes the floor with xvi graphics lmao
FFXVI looks better right now IN GAME this game has amazing CG cutscenes though. Really similar particles everywhere and lots of clutter but the backgrounds look a lot worse in this game. Sure it will get better as this is still early footage but some of you need to be honest.
After watching that trailer I'm not even hyped for FF16 anymore... GIVE ME THIS!
I'm excited as shit for this also but some of you all just be saying shit to say it. Just two more days and a wake up until the XVI demo.

Celcius

°Temp. member
FFXVI looks better right now IN GAME this game has amazing CG cutscenes though. Really similar particles everywhere and lots of clutter but the backgrounds look a lot worse in this game. Sure it will get better as this is still early footage but some of you need to be honest.

I'm excited as shit for this also but some of you all just be saying shit to say it. Just two more days and a wake up until the XVI demo.
I'm not even playing the demo. I'm on full media blackout of FF16 until I actually get to play the full game. All I've seen is the initial trailer for it.

I'm not even playing the demo. I'm on full media blackout of FF16 until I actually get to play the full game. All I've seen is the initial trailer for it.
It's the first 2 or 3 hours of the game and if you bought the game the save file is supposed to carry over to the full game. I'm going to try to hold out to keep myself from playing it over and over for two weeks but I don't know if I have the will power

bender

What time is it?
Something being exclusive to Epic is almost the same thing as not being on PC at all
Brady Bunch K GIF

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Brady Bunch K GIF

Tell this to all the people who aren't even aware that Kingdom Hearts is available on "PC" because of the Epic exclusivity. Something being exclusive to Epic is almost the same thing as not being on PC at all, it's really not the same as regular releases being available on all platforms.

I get wanting something on Steam/GoG (I would love if all my PC games were on GoG), but if its on Epic and I really want to play it on PC I am not going to be retarded enough to not buy it because of some infantile whining.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Can’t wait to play it but honestly I’m being spoiled by FF16 quality of writing and going back to a Nojima game… well let’s say it’ll be hard taking it seriously lol.

That said the game looks a bit rough for a winter release right now but perhaps is just an old build. They usually do miracles in SE with this stuff, I’ll have to wait. Only fear I have is a situation similar to XIII-2 with a heavily reduced budget to contain costs. Hope it’s not the case!

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
"No turn base, lots of particules, enemies take to long to die, boring combat" og ff neogafer
There isn't as many particles on show as ff16 at all.

In fact I would say in rhis whole trailer there was still less particles than one frame of ff16 haha

SkylineRKR

Why would they hype up 2 discs? To say this game will advance the story very far unlike the first game?

I I think see whirlwind maze, which means it covers the entire best part of FFVII, which is ofcourse Midgar to Forgotten City. But it could be a vision of sorts. Though I do think this game will progress far since its confirmed to be 3 parts.

I’ll love the game just like Part 1, but I will say that the environments look kind of dead and Cloud looks like he’s sliding through the environments.

Why would they hype up 2 discs? To say this game will advance the story very far unlike the first game?

I I think see whirlwind maze, which means it covers the entire best part of FFVII, which is ofcourse Midgar to Forgotten City. But it could be a vision of sorts. Though I do think this game will progress far since its confirmed to be 3 parts.
99.999% of the time, people see “multiple discs” and assume that the game is super long and huge, so yes, that’s probably the reason why. But obviously what takes up space is high quality textures, voice acting, and pre-rendered cutscenes.

I will agree with this. Environment-wise, from what I’ve seen, XVI looks better. But this game def has superior character models in addition to CG cutscenes.

I mean, XVI might have some CG cutscenes too but I still have no clue what Yoshi-P meant by his roundabout wording in his 2 Japanese interviews regarding pre-rendered cutscenes.

Wr7W6i3.jpg

But CG Jill is pretty so I hope there are some.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
Just realized - when Tifa talks to the Kalm-party, about Sephiroth: between the lines she's directly questioning where Cloud's been the last 5 years.

"Why come back now? After 5 years - doing who knows what?"

Tifa ❤️

Looks so wrong and features some of the worst voice acting this side of Grandia on the PS1
Nah. The voice acting in-game is some of the best I've experienced in a jrpg actually. Good of you to share though, I'm sure you were really excited for the game.

Last edited:

bbeach123

There a 5 minute UE4/5 tutorial how to make interactive foliage on Youtube...

You use UE4 for the ease of development and still refuse to one of the most basic features .

Last edited:
Just realized - when Tifa talks to the Kalm-party, about Sephiroth: between the lines she's directly asking Cloud where he's been the last 5 years.

Tifa ❤️

Nah. The voice acting in-game is some of the best I've experienced in a jrpg actually. Good of you to share though, I'm sure you were really excited for the game.
I though the voice acting on the women was some of the worst and lifeless since Grandia on the PS1.

K2D

Banned
There a 5 minute UE4/5 tutorial how to make interactive foliage on Youtube...

You use UE4 for the ease of development and still refuse to one of the most basic features .

Oh, great.. the graphics hoes!

I'm sure the biggest nitpicks from remake will be addressed. Like for instance the memory budget (being PS5 only).

Honestly, I can't fathom getting caught up on stuff like this, from a youtube trailer 6-9 months before release..

when remake looks as good as it does on Ps4

..for parts of the game where you originally spent maybe 1-2 percent of your time in-game.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Just realized - when Tifa talks to the Kalm-party, about Sephiroth: between the lines she's directly asking Cloud where he's been the last 5 years.

Tifa ❤️

In the trailer she is also saying to Aerith that Cloud is lying. Which I am sure is new, because she wouldn't say anything about his story in the original game. As a player you had no clue what really happened back then.

Technically Cloud WAS there ofcourse, but not in the way he described. Ironically, what he did, and had forgotten, was even more heroic than the shit he conjures up.

Part 1 already showed glimpses of the ending of the original game, and Sephiroth also comes with some remarks about this and his history with Cloud. And ofcourse Zack gets a bigger role now.

K2D

Banned
In the trailer she is also saying to Aerith that Cloud is lying. Which I am sure is new, because she wouldn't say anything about his story in the original game. As a player you had no clue what really happened back then.

Technically Cloud WAS there ofcourse, but not in the way he described. Ironically, what he did, and had forgotten, was even more heroic than the shit he conjures up.

Part 1 already showed glimpses of the ending of the original game, and Sephiroth also comes with some remarks about this and his history with Cloud. And ofcourse Zack gets a bigger role now.
Tifa playing the "therapist" on behalf of Cloud is some of the best parts for me from FF7. Excited to get to see some of that in this trailer.

The 'Tifa confiding in Aerith' is the cherry on top.

Last edited:
Not played the first remake so I’ll need to get on that.

I was wanting to wait for the whole thing to come out but that won’t happen anytime soon!

Will be interesting to see where this game ends, I’m hoping for the end of disc 1 of the original (before the snow escapades!) which would leave a clear run almost for one more game

Dis

Does anyone know how they'll be handling the leveling? Will you start back on level 1? I can't imagine you'll be able to import saves since many maxed out their characters in FF7R and it would make Rebirth a breeze.

Seems like you will start back on level 1 looking at Barret 10 dmg in combat.

Tifa ❤️

Wow i totally missed that. Thanks! This hypes me up even more! Because i’ve felt that this story beat could’ve been done so much more with when i replay OG7.

All Tifa says (and it works in OG7 dont get me wrong) is something along the lines of

“Cloud.. are you alright?” In Kalm iirc

And “Cloud you’re really you right?” Or something along those lines in Cosmo Canyon.

I wanted to there to be a extra cutscene in Nibelheim reactor when you revisit. But there is none.

And now Rebirth is allllll about Cloud’s mindfuck. And its fucking amazing!!!!!

This is Final Fantasy 7 on steroids.

And you know what. Nomura is the perfect director for this. Who better to mindfuck Cloud + Fans. Then the director of the wormhole that is Kingdom Hearts?

I hope however that the 4chan rumors are not true 🤢

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I will agree with this. Environment-wise, from what I’ve seen, XVI looks better. But this game def has superior character models in addition to CG cutscenes.

I mean, XVI might have some CG cutscenes too but I still have no clue what Yoshi-P meant by his roundabout wording in his 2 Japanese interviews regarding pre-rendered cutscenes.
I'm here to assist because I was clueless too few days ago. So basically what they did with FFXVI is integrating FMV with in-game graphics for certain scenes like they were doing with 7, 8 and 9. Even on the prologue apparently there's more than one instance in which this happens, with the characters models there and FMV starting its magic right there for some elements or larger scenes. I haven't heard other YouTubers confirming this except an Italian called Sabaku which really was impressed about this use of tech and made it sounds really a nostalgic throwback to PS ONE era!

Reactions: Dis

Larxia

I get wanting something on Steam/GoG (I would love if all my PC games were on GoG), but if its on Epic and I really want to play it on PC I am not going to be retarded enough to not buy it because of some infantile whining.
I always read people here talking about "vote with your wallet" though, that's just what I do.
I'm not even against Epic as a company, I think they do some great stuff with Unreal Engine, but I absolutely hate what they try to do with their store and just don't want to support it.

I obviously know that the EGS is on PC, it's just a way of talking because most releases get ignored when they're epic exclusives, and are only considered when they're available everywhere else.

Last edited:
Top Bottom