• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Wilsongt

Got the complete edition today for PS4 and my experience so far has been terrible.

The patcher always gives me an error message because it can't load the patch and the download itself is terribly slow (if it happens at all)

Is this a common issue? People on Reddit seem to have the same problem.

The download error is cropping up more and more. I don't know if it's SE, PSNs, or your internets issue. What I do know is the game is having some widespread backend problems right now.

The download error is cropping up more and more. I don't know if it's SE, PSNs, or your internets issue. What I do know is the game is having some widespread backend problems right now.

Haha it started downloading right after I sent my post but I'm not holding my breath.

Holy shit the DL will almost take 3 hours if the current speed can be maintained.

Pachimari

Okay. All I want to do, is pay for a months subscription. But I have tried logging in anywhere, and using my one-time passwords and it says the codes are invalid. I can't log in anywhere at all.

Pachimari

Where did you try logging in?

Here?

Both the launcher, and the Square Enix site. I can't even get access to the Software Token app, because it says I should obtain the registration password from the One-Time Password page which I can't find. I have also tried using my token's one-time password but it doesn't work. FFXIV isn't registered on my Square Enix account either it seems, which is very odd.

On that link you gave me, I need a one-time password, but they don't work.

I'm thinking maybe my Security Token have been unlinked? But how do I log in, if I can't use my one-password tokens?

aceface

Not sure if you did this but- if you don't have a one-time password leave the field blank.

If you had a security app and it's not working you have to have the emergency removal password to take it off of your account. It's on the Square Enix Account site and they tell you to write it down. However, now you can't get to that page without a one-time password, so you'll have to wait until Monday to contact SE support to get them to remove the one-time password from your account.

Pachimari

Not sure if you did this but- if you don't have a one-time password leave the field blank.

But then it rejects me. It wants a one-time password, and I enabled that months ago. Maybe it wants me it to use the software token on my phone, instead of the security token, but then I can't log into the software token app, because it wants a registration password which can be found in the Account Management System, which I can't log into because that too wants a one-time password.

If you had a security app and it's not working you have to have the emergency removal password to take it off of your account. It's on the Square Enix Account site and they tell you to write it down. However, now you can't get to that page without a one-time password, so you'll have to wait until Monday to contact SE support to get them to remove the one-time password from your account.

Alright. I have send them a support ticket already, but I'll contact them through chat on Monday for sure. Thanks for the help. :)

dramatis

Both the launcher, and the Square Enix site. I can't even get access to the Software Token app, because it says I should obtain the registration password from the One-Time Password page which I can't find. I have also tried using my token's one-time password but it doesn't work. FFXIV isn't registered on my Square Enix account either it seems, which is very odd.

On that link you gave me, I need a one-time password, but they don't work.

I'm thinking maybe my Security Token have been unlinked? But how do I log in, if I can't use my one-password tokens?
The link I gave you has two fields.

Username
Password

It does not ask for one time password. What you are probably doing is entering a one time password in lieu of your Password.

EDIT:

I went and checked the site, and it does ask for One Time Password past the initial login.

To my understanding, Mog Station isn't where you manage OTP, it's at the SE Account Management System. There's a link there that can also teach you how to remove the Software Token from your account if you need to, if you do that you won't need OTP to login.

Got the complete edition today for PS4 and my experience so far has been terrible.

The patcher always gives me an error message because it can't load the patch and the download itself is terribly slow (if it happens at all)

Is this a common issue? People on Reddit seem to have the same problem.

I'm reinstalling on PC, I'm getting the same problem. I had it set up last night to install, crapped out after like 40 mins with a 30413 error. Super annoying, don't know what the solution is.

edit:
Switched my DNS to google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4), did ipconfig /flushdns, I've got about 80% downloaded now. This seems to have fixed it for me.

From this

Yoshida said:
If we were to add more actions, it’ll become near impossible to use all of them. Although it hasn’t been decided, we're thinking of various approaches to this issue such as changing the system to where you select the actions, including existing ones.

I thought this bit was interesting. So you might need to pick and choose new abilities with old ones?

Honestly, they could just cut so many buttons by gettting rid of pointless combo filler hotbar spots. You are never going to use say, Vorpal Thrust without using True Thrust first so why not just make the Heavy Thrust combo a single button affair? Do that for both DRG combos and you just cut 4 hotbar slots without effectively changing anything.

Ken

Honestly, they could just cut so many buttons by gettting rid of pointless combo filler hotbar spots. You are never going to use say, Vorpal Thrust without using True Thrust first so why not just make the Heavy Thrust combo a single button affair? Do that for both DRG combos and you just cut 4 hotbar slots without effectively changing anything.

DRG might be the only one that "fixes" though.

From this

I thought this bit was interesting. So you might need to pick and choose new abilities with old ones?

At least they are acknowledging the skill bloat. When I filled my entire Logitech G13 up with skills and still needed a couple on a side toolbar to manually click on, that's when I knew the end was near.

Hopefully the next expansion they'll actually implement skill trees so you actually have more than 1 build per class. While they're at it they could actually make gear have different stats that matter instead of one stat which you stack forever on each class.

DRG might be the only one that "fixes" though.
Yeah, it's a problem for the classes with branching combos.
With branching combos you can put the skills together when they don't branch. Not every combo needs to do this, just the ones that are possible, even one button saved is swell. You don't need two buttons for stuff like Riot Blade > Goring Blade or Skull Sunder > Butcher's Block, for example, and in case of branches.

They also could just pick one of the combos to be the main one and the others you do as normal, PLD's 123 would become 111 but if you want to do Royal Authority you just go 112.

Valor

Skill bloat is a problem and they could easily fix it by adding in more traits and passives instead of five skills for the next 10 levels in 4.0

Or like Unknown said - skill trees and "Specializations" as it were. Dump the class system, make everything only Jobs and then make different specializations within each job to create more variety within the system as it is. 4.0 and dropping ps3 might be their first best chance to try this out.

Any crafters on? I need to level a lvl 50 crafting class via leves, but wanted to know which was the cheapest to level, also when are mats cheapest weekend or weekday?

Pachimari

The link I gave you has two fields.

Username
Password

It does not ask for one time password. What you are probably doing is entering a one time password in lieu of your Password.

EDIT:

I went and checked the site, and it does ask for One Time Password past the initial login.

To my understanding, Mog Station isn't where you manage OTP, it's at the SE Account Management System. There's a link there that can also teach you how to remove the Software Token from your account if you need to, if you do that you won't need OTP to login.
But then I need the Emergenct Removal Password which I don't have. Which is why I need to contact their support on Monday.

Sifl

I was helping someone with a Nidhogg ex, and when we got in someone started a debate with 1 of the tanks on whether or not you should pan sear chicken before you bake it. This lasted about 10 minutes, then we spent 15 minutes wiping before giving up due to "raid fatigue".

I was helping someone with a Nidhogg ex, and when we got in someone started a debate with 1 of the tanks on whether or not you should pan sear chicken before you bake it. This lasted about 10 minutes, then we spent 15 minutes wiping before giving up due to "raid fatigue".

Funny, I had an elitist troll place hysteria at the back of the boss. I thought it was a mistake but 2nd time we got to phase 3 he turned nid and cleaved us. Says he was "drunk"

Customization would be nice. I like to choose skills and stuff based on playstyle, i'd love to pick and choose and upgrade skills.

One-button combos would be good too for freeing up buttons

Heartfyre

I had some dude in a dungeon tell me off when I wasn't using Doom Spike, which I don't have listed because of limited skill slots, and he told me to set up combos as a macro. I tried it out, but there are so many disadvantages. If you're interrupted by having to dodge an AOE, you have to start the combo again. And not to mention how much slower it is to pull off actions that way compared to activating the ability as soon as the cooldown expires. A single ability combo would go a long way to fixing that, as there's no decent alternative to having a swollen ability bar right now.

In other news, I see that the 3.38 patch is hitting right about the time I was going to earn the ilvl 210 anima by normal means. Great news for everyone else, but in my own circumstances, I'd like to throw a nice big feck-you at Square-Enix, both middle fingers raised and gesticulating wildly.

Sifl

I had some dude in a dungeon tell me off when I wasn't using Doom Spike, which I don't have listed because of limited skill slots, and he told me to set up combos as a macro. I tried it out, but there are so many disadvantages. If you're interrupted by having to dodge an AOE, you have to start the combo again. And not to mention how much slower it is to pull off actions that way compared to activating the ability as soon as the cooldown expires. A single ability combo would go a long way to fixing that, as there's no decent alternative to having a swollen ability bar right now.

In other news, I see that the 3.38 patch is hitting right about the time I was going to earn the ilvl 210 anima by normal means. Great news for everyone else, but in my own circumstances, I'd like to throw a nice big feck-you at Square-Enix, both middle fingers raised and gesticulating wildly.
Him even suggesting that shows how dumb he is.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
20 min interview with Yoshida up on DualShockers.

https://youtu.be/aMOl9_Ah4RE

• 4.0 main scenario is done. Currently doing the VA.
  • Negotiations for the Xbox version are still ongoing. The current cross play regulations aren't MMO friendly (Xbox only mode requirement I think). MS is aware of the issue and their next meeting with them is during TGS.
  • Diadem update was pushed back to 3.5 due to the amount of rework they had to do.
  • 4.0 will use the same patch cycle they've been using.
  • Doesnt sound like Feast was as successful as they wanted it to be. They feel like people were afraid to try it cause of the pressure in 4v4 ranked. New unranked training modes in 3.4 (duel and custom match) and spectator mode.

IMO, relic steps should be nerfed the second they make the catch-up for that equivalent ilvl gear step. All the gear for the previous patch is made easier to get, so why not relic? Is there a reason why the i210 step is still a huge grind, when the current step is just another huge grind?

Pachimari

I'm lvl 15 but I seriously hope I can get all of the Yokai Watch items and medals before the campaign ends. :(

Hopefully I can get access to my account again tomorrow.

I'm lvl 15 but I seriously hope I can get all of the Yokai Watch items and medals before the campaign ends. :(

Hopefully I can get access to my account again tomorrow.
There's still well over a month before the event is done. You'll need to get to level 30-ish for some of the weapons, though.

I managed to reach lvl 11 and did my first levequest. So far this still feels like a tutorial and I'm about to start losing patience.

So this is my first MMORPG ever. Is the whole game about doing fetchquests? Are there more exciting activities? How do I trigger them?

I've only played solo so far. How do I make friendz? ;_;

Sorry for these dumb questions but the game surely is overwhelming for a noob. I'm glad that I finally got a hold of the interface (ps4) and the game is still drowning me in tutorials...lol

IMO, relic steps should be nerfed the second they make the catch-up for that equivalent ilvl gear step. All the gear for the previous patch is made easier to get, so why not relic? Is there a reason why the i210 step is still a huge grind, when the current step is just another huge grind?

Relic is there to keep people who have nothing to do but want to keep playing subbed. That's the functional reason why it always remains a huge grind when everything around it is nerfed.

There is a side benefit to Relic's existence where the Relic grinders are being forced to queue for instances they wouldn't otherwise bother with, which helps players who are leveling get them done. This has the unfortunate effect of ruining the experience for the leveling players because they get thrown in with people who are crazy overgeared skipping all cutscenes, locking them out of boss fights, and just slaughtering everything in seconds, but at least they get it done which is better than not getting it done.

Relic is a shining example of the great game design in FFXIV.

creid

I managed to reach lvl 11 and did my first levequest. So far this still feels like a tutorial and I'm about to start losing patience.

So this is my first MMORPG ever. Is the whole game about doing fetchquests? Are there more exciting activities? How do I trigger them?

Sorry for these dumb questions but the game surely is overwhelming for a noob. I'm glad that I finally got a hold of the interface (ps4) and the game is still drowning me in tutorials...lol
Keep following the main story quests, most of the early available side quests are a waste of time. They should send you to some dungeons soon.

You'll reach your first dungeon at lvl 16. It's best to have friends to chat with and run dungeons with you. I joined my girlfriend's FC that she was in on my first day, and it was helpful having people to chat with in FC chat and run dungeons with me. Try and find people you know to play with, or FC's friends are in

Relic is there to keep people who have nothing to do but want to keep playing subbed. That's the functional reason why it always remains a huge grind when everything around it is nerfed.

There is a side benefit to Relic's existence where the Relic grinders are being forced to queue for instances they wouldn't otherwise bother with, which helps players who are leveling get them done. This has the unfortunate effect of ruining the experience for the leveling players because they get thrown in with people who are crazy overgeared skipping all cutscenes, locking them out of boss fights, and just slaughtering everything in seconds, but at least they get it done which is better than not getting it done.

Relic is a shining example of the great game design in FFXIV.

It doesn't feel fun doing the same thing hundreds of times :/
I honestly expected relic to be catch-up and not a grind-fest, and i'm pretty bummed that it's basically the grinding equivalent of raiding

dramatis

But then I need the Emergenct Removal Password which I don't have. Which is why I need to contact their support on Monday.
When you first initiate the Software Token you were told explicitly to save the emergency removal password. Are you sure you didn't record it somewhere?

It doesn't feel fun doing the same thing hundreds of times :/
I honestly expected relic to be catch-up and not a grind-fest, and i'm pretty bummed that it's basically the grinding equivalent of raiding
He's being sarcastic. Don't know why he's posting in here now, but Unknown Soldier has been hating on this game since Blade and Soul came out.

I don't have a strong opinion on relics since I don't do them, but the method of obtainment to a lot of people seems unenjoyable because everyone opts for methods of 'efficiency'. In this case, maybe getting the relic faster isn't necessarily the most enjoyable way of going about it.

rubius01

20 min interview with Yoshida up on DualShockers.

https://youtu.be/aMOl9_Ah4RE

• 4.0 main scenario is done. Currently doing the VA.
  • Negotiations for the Xbox version are still ongoing. The current cross play regulations aren't MMO friendly (Xbox only mode requirement I think). MS is aware of the issue and their next meeting with them is during TGS.
  • Diadem update was pushed back to 3.5 due to the amount of rework they had to do.
  • 4.0 will use the same patch cycle they've been using.
  • Doesnt sound like Feast was as successful as they wanted it to be. They feel like people were afraid to try it cause of the pressure in 4v4 ranked. New unranked training modes in 3.4 (duel and custom match) and spectator mode.

uh oh......

Top Bottom