• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XVI | Prologue DEMO

Nautilus

Banned
I wasn’t talking about the gameplay. FFVIIR was basically action. Not expecting FF to go back to turn based combat ever. I’m talking about the dark tone of the game that desperately wants to be a HBO show with cussing and sex.
I still have to play the demo, but looking at impressions so far, it seems that there is gay sex and ver Game of Throne-ish vibes on it.

Basically even thematically and tone wise they stripped FF out of it. At this point is better to treat XVI as a new IP.

Gentlemen, i'm gonna be completely honest here, I'm going to be playing this on a...PS5 Pro.
The performance is just not there, I got a friggin' migraine from all the damned fluctuations while.trying the demo on "performance" mode and especially during the cutscenes which the framerate is usually between the mid-40s and rarely reaches 60, it's just...not a good look, either lock the damned cutscenes at 30fps and have the main gameplay at (almost) 60 or don't bother at all, shit's migraine inducing and I'm not even kidding.

- Performance mode = unlocked framerate mode with HEAVY fluctuations.

- Graphics mode = 30fps but, on an OLED is just...not good, I mean, I turned off 120Hz , VRR and ALLM on my PS5 just to be able to try Motion pro on my C2 (Motion interpolation) but it was obviously still a shit show due to the artifacting and weird judder.

Also : graphically it's a mixed bag, characters models look good but also "flat" depending on the lighting conditions, some textures are questionable and so on so forth.

There's just no good in-between or alternative here as to have the game run well ffs and I'm actually friggin' disappointed, this NEEDS to be on better hardware as to have it run properly, that, or square enix is bad at optimization, I don't know.

I don't know what I expected but this surely ain't it.
How can your experience be so different from mine and everyone else that has played the game?

Getting a smooth framerate everywhere but the castle.

Graphics mode on my 78" Oled is absolutely smooth no judder.

Graphics look really good.

I don't know what you expected but I got a game that finally got me off of SF6 or Tears for more than 2 hours.

Last edited:
Death to motion blur. Graphics mode on the LG C2 hurts my eyes in this game as expected during gameplay although not as bad as Horizon:FW I think. It's fine during cutscenes though. Still, i'll have to move the PS5 to the Qled if im going to play the game in that mode. Game looks beautiful in graphics mode. Performance takes a noticeable hit in graphics but of course performs better(yet still not ideal on the C2). In this game though, I think im going to stay with graphics mode for a while at least when I switch over. Again, I wish I had my old Plasma TV for this. SIgh.
Don’t the C2 have a game mode? To help with that?

Not finished the demo yet. Played it a little bit. Can't say I'm impressed.
Graphic's not the best but looks good enough.
Combat is boring at first. Smash square for basic combo, no light/heavy attack. I saw some upgrade skills so maybe thing'll change after that.
No option to turn off damage numbers or "cinematic strike" texts is big negative point for me. Hope the released version will have that.
My friend already pre-ordered it ( share account) and I can play it for free anyway.

Last edited:

acidagfc

Why are all japanese devs so bad with ui scaling? I cannot play any jrpg in recent years because I cannot fucking read anything!
Tales of Arise, Atelier Ryza 3, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - I dropped all of these few hours in, because there is so much stuff to do in menus and I just feel blind.
And they never fix this stuff either, even if reviewers point the terrible ui.

Cool, you added subsitles scaling, but where's the menu scaling?
FFS, can't believe I will have to skip this game because of such stupid thing.

Zuzu

I really wish there was a 40fps mode. The 30fps mode seems to be consistent but there's just so much motion blur. But I don't want to wait for a PC version or hope in a possible PS5 Pro upgraded version. Ah, oh well, I'll just have to cope with 30fps. (I don't like the graphical downgrade of the 60fps mode.)

How can your experience be so different from mine and everyone else that has played the game?

Getting a smooth framerate everywhere but the castle.

Graphics mode on my 78" Olde is absolutely smooth no judder.

Graphics look really good.

I don't know what you expected but I got a game that finally got me off of SF6 or Tears for more than 2 hours.

Different standards I suppose and also, I'm not a FF fanboy so I can have a more critical line of thought when I find something not being up to my standards friend.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a dig towards you or others or trying to be passive aggressive, it's just that "it runs perfectly" doesn't mean anything and is also unsubstantiated since besides being very critical and sensible to fps dips, the TV also reports a framerate of 46fps during heavy drops of which...there are a lot , you don't need Digital foundry dissecting a game in a 30min video to be able to see if something runs well or not.

The Summon Panzer dragoon like playable intro fight most definitely not runs "perfectly" since it's fluctuates between 46fps and 50-something, as do most cutscenes which also sit at around the mid-40fps mark.

I'm glad that you and others find the whole enjoyable and I'm actually envious, unfortunately for me, framerate is what makes or breaks a game .

Cheers

Last edited:

vkbest

3 Idiots Reaction GIF by GrowthX
This is like FF XV in PS4 Pro it worse. Unlocked framerate and super aggressive lower resolution in combats. Performance mode is a mix of

30 fps cutscenes with drops.
60fps combats with drops and pretty low resolution (Probably around 720p or even lower)
40-50fps in the walking simulator part

The game is much worse performing than Forspoken demo.

Fabieter

I still have to play the demo, but looking at impressions so far, it seems that there is gay sex and ver Game of Throne-ish vibes on it.

Basically even thematically and tone wise they stripped FF out of it. At this point is better to treat XVI as a new IP.

So was xii also basically a new ip because gameplay, thematic and tone was completely different to the other mainline games before?

Sygma

performance issues in this are real holy crap

dead ass ran at 10-20 fps top for the entire panzer dragoon sequence (not the intro, the later one), even less when any building was collapsing lol. Stuttering like crazy whenever i turn the camera around in the Eikon challenge demo, restarting the console + only sticking to one graphical mode fixed it after

So yeah dont change at all the performance mode past the main menu after you start the game

Also the 30 fps mode is pretty irresponsive when it comes down to inputs which is very surprising. Dunno if some here manage to chain the magic burst combo flawlessly, to me its near impossible outside of performance mode

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
So was xii also basically a new ip because gameplay, thematic and tone was completely different to the other mainline games before?
Did XII have blatant sex scenes? Did XII blatantly tried to be edgy showing people die in crude ways and splatter blood all over?

Plus XII was the beginning of the downfall for FF. Still a great game.

Like I said, I still have to play the game and judge for myself. But everything is pointing towards this conclusion: XVI would have been a great new IP, but as a FF game it will be dissapointing.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This is like FF XV in PS4 Pro it worse. Unlocked framerate and super aggressive lower resolution in combats. Performance mode is a mix of

60fps combats with drops and pretty low resolution (Probably around 720p or even lower)

the fuck that's not something I thought possible with 16.

will check and post my impressions later today as well.

Sygma

Did XII have blatant sex scenes? Did XII blatantly tried to be edgy showing people die in crude ways and splatter blood all over?

Like I said, I still have to play the game and judge for myself. But everything is pointing towards this conclusion: XVI would have been a great new IP, but as a FF game it will be dissapointing.

All the final fantasy games taking place in Ivalice are pretty mature when it comes down to the story, XII was no exception. In Tactics, struggles of various economical classes, corruption, murders and whatnot were common. It also introduced perma death for your companions, fact that XVI has blood splatters isn't exactly surprising on that end.

XVI takes obvious inspirations from Ivalice's settings

Raonak

Banned

lmfao, have you played any final fantasy before?

FF games are all about each game changing what it means to be a FF game. Recontextualising it's common motifs and themes in a snapshot of it's time and place.
That's one of the greatest parts of the series, each game feels like a distinctly different entity.

FFXVI from all intents and purposes, IS Final Fantasy.

ToadMan

Impressions

Story sets up as GoT meets LOTR. Surprisingly adult themes (and language) presented here.

Great voice acting, well animated to bring the characters to life. Ralph Ineson as Cid is more expressive here than in Diablo 4 where he sounded totally monotone.

It seems well done - if the whole game can keep it going this should be a great story.

Gameplay

Simple controls in the intial demo but the dodge and parry make button mashing an unreliable strategy. The Eikonic battle after the story prologue is done showcases more depth - multiple eikon archetypes with mix and match abilities and enemies that will test your ability to use these.

The Eikonic battle mode presented after the story part of the demo gives a better idea of combat with normal enemies too - it’s not just a boss battle.

By default this Eikon battle mode has 3 assist rings enabled - specifically this means you’ll get assistance in dodging attacks (this is different to the cinematic dodge and attacks btw) and Torgal (the dog) will assist your attacks automatically.

So remove those rings if you want a more punishing challenge. If you’re more into story and perhaps coming to this from prior more slow paced FF combats, use the rings to customise the challenge to your liking.

Choosing your complimentary Eikon abilities seems to be the main depth and combat customisation.

Overall this is looking great - with this snippet of the game shown I think it’s in 90-93 meta critic range but I can still see something of a backlash from “traditional” FF players who won’t like and/or be able to tune the combat to their liking.

It’s enough for me to want to preorder so that’s what I’ll do 👍

Nautilus

Banned
All the final fantasy games taking place in Ivalice are pretty mature when it comes down to the story, XII was no exception. In Tactics, struggles of various economical classes, corruption, murders and whatnot were common. It also introduced perma death for your companions, fact that XVI has blood splatters isn't exactly surprising on that end.

XVI takes obvious inspirations from Ivalice's settings
Being "mature" doesn't mean you have to have explicit(or very implicit) sex, and gay one at that, or that you have to have blood flying everywhere(Like the trailer where the Phoenix kid gets blood all over him).

A game being mature means it dabbles in mature themes, not that there is 18+ stuff in it. Someone else said that in another thread, that Square wanted to make XVI "mature" for "modern audiences", but in the way loses track of what mature even means, thinking that mature is doing a Game of Throne clone.

And never realises that most of the greatest FF games were mature, because they dealt with very mature themes.

Nautilus

Banned

FF games are all about each game changing what it means to be a FF game. Recontextualising it's common motifs and themes in a snapshot of it's time and place.
That's one of the greatest parts of the series, each game feels like a distinctly different entity.

Lmao.

That is the greatest lie and bs people tell about FF. For the 1034th time, FF is not about being basically a new IP with every single entry. From FF 1 to FF 10, they all very clearly shared a common DNA. They obviously innovated and evolved as any franchise should, but they all clearly maintained a clear common trait between them all. Ever since XII, Square has been confused on what they want FF to be. And now with XVI, they went full on "Lets make this into a new IP"

Raonak

Banned
Being "mature" doesn't mean you have to have explicit(or very implicit) sex, and gay one at that, or that you have to have blood flying everywhere(Like the trailer where the Phoenix kid gets blood all over him).

A game being mature means it dabbles in mature themes, not that there is 18+ stuff in it. Someone else said that in another thread, that Square wanted to make XVI "mature" for "modern audiences", but in the way loses track of what mature even means, thinking that mature is doing a Game of Throne clone.

And never realises that most of the greatest FF games were mature, because they dealt with very mature themes.

What exactly is your problem with sex or blood?

How is that in any way a valid complaint?

Are you like a 12 year old who's parent's wont let them buy a 18+ game?

Nautilus

Banned
What exactly is your problem with sex or blood?

How is that in any way a valid complaint?

Are you like a 12 year old who's parent's wont let them buy a 18+ game?
Zero problems, I just don't think that sex and blood makes a story mature, nor do I want it on every single game. Especially FF, where mature stories are always told in a more deeper and meaningful way.

And you know, people that are obsessed with sex and blood in their media, thinking that's what makes into an adult or mature content, is usually teenagers and young adults fresh out of college. Just saying.

Thirty7ven

Banned

You’re embarrassing yourself. Grow up.

Fabieter

Zero problems, I just don't think that sex and blood makes a story mature, nor do I want it on every single game. Especially FF, where mature stories are always told in a more deeper and meaningful way.

And you know, people that are obsessed with sex and blood in their media, thinking that's what makes into an adult or mature content, is usually teenagers and young adults fresh out of college. Just saying.

Well its to early to say that these mature themes ain't still there in a meaningful way. Maybe just maybe all the violence isn't just to glorify.

Iam just tired of every ff dividing the fanbase of what the franchise should and shouldn't do.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Well its to early to say that these mature themes ain't still there in a meaningful way. Maybe just maybe all the violence isn't just to glorify.

Iam just tired of every ff dividing the fanbase of what the franchise should and shouldn't do.
Let's hope so.

And as long as Square doesn't stick to some form of identity on what FF should be, this division will only grow. I dob't think there will ever be a cure unless they return to turn based combat, and I'm sure as hell won't be quiet about my dissapointment, but if there is to be any chance to have some sort of unification, Square has to stop dancing around with FF.

Toots

Gold Member
You guys done did it :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I'll bail from work two hours early because i can't wait to play after reading all your uber positive impressions !
All i have left to do is pray my director won't come to the lab this afternoon, or else i'll have to stay :messenger_downcast_sweat:
The Gods of Valisthea are smiling upon me
I just got an email from my director telling me she's not coming today nor tomorrow
Lets Go Reaction GIF by Mason Ramsey

I'm gone in half an hour let's go !

Fabieter

Let's hope so.

And as long as Square doesn't stick to some form of identity on what FF should be, this division will only grow. I dob't think there will ever be a cure unless they return to turn based combat, and I'm sure as hell won't be quiet about my dissapointment, but if there is to be any chance to have some sort of unification, Square has to stop dancing around with FF.

Is your biggest disappointment the combat system after 10 because if so iam a big fucking yakuza fan and I know how you feel when they changed it to turnbased but I still liked the turn based system and I grew on me.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Nah, I'm quite confortanle about my opinions and on what I think.

In case you didn't know, that's what it means to be an adult.

Is that why you are going around spamming laughing emojis? In my first post here I just praise the game and you felt insecure enough to be bitter about it.

You’re an adult? Well congratulations holy crap you did it unbelievable wow amazing an adult guys look he’s an adult how fucking awesome is that?

Complete nonsense. It’s clearly a final fantasy game, and it’s obvious from the first minute.
The demo is incredible.

Nautilus has been hating on the game forever. He’s one of those that thinks they get to define what FF is, even though this is clearly an FF game in evert way.

Oh no, not the matures!
How dare they show that gay people exist! (Which seems to be his real problem).
How dare they not use more awful turn based combat!

It’s been his MO forever now.

Raonak

Banned

Yet you seem to think it having sex and blood somehow makes it less deeper and less meaningful?
That's a very childish assumption you're making.

You're jumping so shallow and nonsensical conclusions about the story because you're looking for a reason to dislike the game.

Last edited:

Sygma

You completely, completely are missing the point and it tells me that you haven't played the demo so there's no point even talking to you

Nautilus

Banned
Is your biggest disappointment the combat system after 10 because if so iam a big fucking yakuza fan and I know how you feel when they changed it to turnbased but I still liked the turn based system and I grew on me.
Yes and no. I love turn based combat and I wish FF goes back to it, but I like XII combat and I absolutely love FF 7 Remake hybrid combat system.

My dissapointment comes from the lack of turn based with the complete lack of originality and dancing around with themes and settings that FF had since XII. XIII story was absolute nonsense and garbage, and the combat system was not good. XV combat wasn't turn based and the action combat it had was simply not good, plus having a present day setting for FF is just... wrong for me.Normal looking cars alongside big swords and magic don't mesh well(plus the story being a mess. And you know my criticism about XVI.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Gentlemen, i'm gonna be completely honest here, I'm going to be playing this on a...PS5 Pro.
The performance is just not there, I got a friggin' migraine from all the damned fluctuations while.trying the demo on "performance" mode and especially during the cutscenes where the framerate is usually sits at mid-40s and rarely reaches 60, it's just...not a good look, either lock the damned cutscenes at 30fps and have the main gameplay at (almost) 60 or don't bother at all, shit's migraine inducing and I'm not even kidding.

- Performance mode = unlocked framerate mode with HEAVY fluctuations.

- Graphics mode = 30fps but, on an OLED is just...not good, I mean, I turned off 120Hz , VRR and ALLM on my PS5 just to be able to try Motion pro on my C2 (Motion interpolation) but it was obviously still a shit show due to the artifacting and weird judder.

Also : graphically it's a mixed bag, most character models look good but also "flat" depending on the lighting conditions with the blonde woman especially looking almost like a late PS3 model polygon/quality-wise and some texture work is questionable and so on so forth.

There's just no good in-between or alternative here as to have the game run well ffs and I'm actually friggin' disappointed, this NEEDS to be on better hardware as to have it run properly, that, or square enix is bad at optimization, I don't know.

I don't know what I expected but this surely ain't it.

I'm downloading the demo but already made up my mind to play it on PC. Dips below 60 for an action title are unacceptable.

Nankatsu

Gold Member

Close Up What GIF

Nautilus

Banned
Is that why you are going around spamming laughing emojis? In my first post here I just praise the game and you felt insecure enough to be bitter about it.

You’re an adult? Well congratulations holy crap you did it unbelievable wow amazing an adult guys look he’s an adult how fucking awesome is that?
Okay then, Mr. Adult. I would have figured you would be more sure of yourself and not get triggered because of a laugh emoji if you were that grown up, but ok.

As also a grown up, I'll end our conversation here to keep this thread civil, as an adult would.

Top Bottom