• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XVI | Prologue DEMO

Raonak

Banned
Nautilus has been hating on the game forever. He’s one of those that thinks they get to define what FF is, even though this is clearly an FF game in evert way.

Oh no, not the matures!
How dare they show that gay people exist! (Which seems to be his real problem).
How dare they not use more awful turn based combat!

It’s been his MO forever now.

I was wishing this wasn't the case, but his constant need to point it out made it very transparent.
I can't say i'm surprised. The dude clearly has a few screws loose.

Fabieter

Yes and no. I love turn based combat and I wish FF goes back to it, but I like XII combat and I absolutely love FF 7 Remake hybrid combat system.

My dissapointment comes from the lack of turn based with the complete lack of originality and dancing around with themes and settings that FF had since XII. XIII story was absolute nonsense and garbage, and the combat system was not good. XV combat wasn't turn based and the action combat it had was simply not good, plus having a present day setting for FF is just... wrong for me.Normal looking cars alongside big swords and magic don't mesh well(plus the story being a mess. And you know my criticism about XVI.

Do you dislike action combat system in general? Because I think its silly to expect a certain combat system for a certain franchise.

And tone wise, did you play FF vi, that game was dark as hell.

I dont get it.

I played every mainline game including the most and most of the spin offs and I can't wait for this game.

Nautilus

Banned
Yet you seem to think it having sex and blood somehow makes it less deeper and less meaningful?
That's a very childish assumption you're making.

You're jumping so shallow and nonsensical conclusions about the story because you're looking for a reason to dislike the game.
I do. Won't deny that I usually don't like sex in my games. Not because I don't like it, but because it almost never serves the purpose it was originally meant to serve(Which is to show the affection between two characters) because I think there are better ways to do that(Think Tidus and Yuna scene in X midway through the game). But saying that the game is mature because of it is nonsense. It can be mature with it, not because of it.

And no, I'm not jumping at conclusions. I'm just giving my opinion on stuff that I don't like in games, especially FF games, being in a FF game. Love action combat, hate it for FF games, just to name an example.

MagnesD3

Zero problems, I just don't think that sex and blood makes a story mature, nor do I want it on every single game. Especially FF, where mature stories are always told in a more deeper and meaningful way.

And you know, people that are obsessed with sex and blood in their media, thinking that's what makes into an adult or mature content, is usually teenagers and young adults fresh out of college. Just saying.
Agreed, most people understand Mature Story as surface level shit. Blood and Sex are stuff that we pretend is Mature as a society but is just a basic part of reality that we build up as something more nuanced than it is.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Nautilus has been hating on the game forever. He’s one of those that thinks they get to define what FF is, even though this is clearly an FF game in evert way.

Oh no, not the matures!
How dare they show that gay people exist! (Which seems to be his real problem).
How dare they not use more awful turn based combat!

It’s been his MO forever now.
I’ve been part of the online FF fanbase since pre-FF7 and every single release has been accompanied by a vocal minority of whiners upset that the new game isn’t what FF was supposed to be. Even FF VII had dipshits saying stuff like “I miss when Final Fantasy used to be FANTASY” and “I want to play a game, not watch a movie”.

Just laugh at them and move on. In a few years they’ll be whining and crying about how FF XVII sucks because it’s too different from FF XVI.

Nautilus

Banned
You completely, completely are missing the point and it tells me that you haven't played the demo so there's no point even talking to you
I didn't play the demo yet. I made that pretty clear early on. Gonna play it tonight.

My feelings on the themes won't change though, nor the wish it was turn based.The demo might change my mind on wether I pick this on a deep discount or not at all.

Luipadre

Finished the demo. Game looks awesome, story seems interesting and heavily GoT inspired. Motion blur is good quality but its too much. I'd like to reduce the intensity of it. Combat so far is a big question mark. It feels odd, especially the default controls. Also that 15 fps eikon battle... Disappointing performance. Only 1 platform, 1 year of polish and sonys help, still struggles. Also the combat is a visual clusterfuck. I dont even know whats happening 90% of the time

Nautilus

Banned
Do you dislike action combat system in general? Because I think its silly to expect a certain combat system for a certain franchise.

And tone wise, did you play FF vi, that game was dark as hell.

I dont get it.

I played every mainline game including the most and most of the spin offs and I can't wait for this game.
I like action games in general.But I expect FF to be turn based(in some capacity), just like I expect Persona to be turn based.

Is it that wrong to want that out of a franchise? To evolve but carry a common DNA through the games?

And yeah, FF VI is dark as hell. And manage to tell those mature themes without resorting to stuff like blood, sex, decapitation, etc. Which made its storytelling more impactful.

And I'm glad that you are hyped for this game. I just don't share it. So go and enjoy it, don't let a complete stranger on the internet stop you from enjoying something.

Why are all japanese devs so bad with ui scaling? I cannot play any jrpg in recent years because I cannot fucking read anything!
Tales of Arise, Atelier Ryza 3, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - I dropped all of these few hours in, because there is so much stuff to do in menus and I just feel blind.
And they never fix this stuff either, even if reviewers point the terrible ui.

Cool, you added subsitles scaling, but where's the menu scaling?
FFS, can't believe I will have to skip this game because of such stupid thing.
How bad are your eyes?
And I don’t ask that as an insult, im genuinely curious, because everything in the UI has been very easy to read for me.

Go_Ly_Dow

Cool seeing lots of very positive and glowing impressions here and elsewhere. A few friends and one who was very resistant to XVI has decided to buy it day 1 after playing the demo. Was very surprised to hear that from him!

Funny to see resident haters in here aka Nautilus Nautilus borderline gaslight others enjoyment of the game. Before they'd do that by talking the game down before others had a chance to play to spread self-doubt. Now that people can form their own opinions from playing the demo, it's weird that you can't just let it go and move on.

Last edited:

acidagfc

How bad are your eyes?
And I don’t ask that as an insult, im genuinely curious, because everything in the UI has been very easy to read for me.
Quite bad, but for reference I am playing D4 without any trouble at all and there's a bunch of text to read, while here I have to reeeeealy squint when trying to read the ui.

IDK, something about font spacing and low-ish contrast makes it way harder than it should be.

Fabieter

I like action games in general.But I expect FF to be turn based(in some capacity), just like I expect Persona to be turn based.

Is it that wrong to want that out of a franchise? To evolve but carry a common DNA through the games?

And yeah, FF VI is dark as hell. And manage to tell those mature themes without resorting to stuff like blood, sex, decapitation, etc. Which made its storytelling more impactful.

And I'm glad that you are hyped for this game. I just don't share it. So go and enjoy it, don't let a complete stranger on the internet stop you from enjoying something.

Because 6 was released 30 years ago.

Srsly tho besides turn based combat what makes final fantasy well final fantasy for you? I would really like to know.

Teslerum

But the gay sex! How dare they?

So ridiculous that this weird subsection of gamers are afraid of gay people in their games.
I’m technically against any kind of pandering.

But the charachter in question is a late game villian which your going to beat up. Meanwhile there’s a love story subplot with Shiva and Ifrit / Clive and Jill.

This is very obviously not pandering as far as we know. Just a gay charachter in a setting.

Nothing to complain about.

Last edited:
The combat is SUBLIME

Holy fucking shit

This definitely needs a day one patch tho
Agreed. At 18gb, it’s not the full game, so I expect performance is better in the full game. Even still, that demo is fire.
I do. Won't deny that I usually don't like sex in my games. Not because I don't like it, but because it almost never serves the purpose it was originally meant to serve(Which is to show the affection between two characters) because I think there are better ways to do that(Think Tidus and Yuna scene in X midway through the game). But saying that the game is mature because of it is nonsense. It can be mature with it, not because of it.

And no, I'm not jumping at conclusions. I'm just giving my opinion on stuff that I don't like in games, especially FF games, being in a FF game. Love action combat, hate it for FF games, just to name an example.
But the story, right from the beginning, is very mature and it has nothing to do with sex. And as combat veteran, blood and sex are part of war. The most human part of it, frankly. You’re pretending it’s only mature because of those things, when in fact it’s incidental to the story, and only part of the mature rating.
I’ve been part of the online FF fanbase since pre-FF7 and every single release has been accompanied by a vocal minority of whiners upset that the new game isn’t what FF was supposed to be. Even FF VII had dipshits saying stuff like “I miss when Final Fantasy used to be FANTASY” and “I want to play a game, not watch a movie”.

Just laugh at them and move on. In a few years they’ll be whining and crying about how FF XVII sucks because it’s too different from FF XVI.
Same. Been playing since the OG in 89. The idea that if its mature and not turn based its not FF is ridiculous.
There's no day one patch considering what they said.

Maybe this is a different build, not final?
It’s definitely not the final product, it’s clearly an 18gb slice, so no idea gluow the final product runs

ToadMan

Preordered won't touch the demo :D. Gonna be hard but I make it.

I think this is a good call if you can.

The opening of the game is really cool - so I think experiencing it with the full game ready is probably better if you’re certain this is a game for you.

This demo is pure joy. Graphics and gameplay are just..

Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals

sigmaZ

Had a great time with the demo. Lot's of great story beats. Great pacing and acting. Tthe gameplay felt pretty solid overall. The music is the real glue of the soundtrack though. Just absolutely fantastic.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
"You Cock"

Shocking!

I need to get back to it after a good sleep. I'm knackered and I straight up full asleep in the opening bit. I found the dialogue cringe and up until the flashback I had hammered triangle which seemed to do nothing then pressed r1 twice....I then pressed up on the analogue stick....got a cutscene....pressed up....got a cutscene.....got some cringe dialogue and trying ro be game of thrones anime edition ...I pressed up some more then I saw some amazing looking cutscene..like Holy shit the scale and graphics are second to none...so crisp in the overall look in performance mode .

I then pressed up some more but my eyes were just closing and I was passing out...

I just paused it at the combat training so gonna come back to it after what I imagine was just setting the tone.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Because 6 was released 30 years ago.

Srsly tho besides turn based combat what makes final fantasy well final fantasy for you? I would really like to know.
Having a great story and worldbuilding is one. That XVI will probably have.

Telling that story in a more "romantic" way..Don't know how to describe it, but basically the way FF VI through X told their stories. Being more soft on the way violence is presented, but extremely mature on its themes. That's something that XVI don't have.

And third: the world always being alien compared to the real world. And when it has tecnology like ours, the design always being pretty out there and/or fantasy inspired. My ideal would be X, but in this regard I dob't have issues with XVI. Don't love it, but don't hate it.

I think the overall setting just don't appeal to me that much.Not that its bad, its good, but its not as appealing as FF 6, 7,9 or 10. settings

Nautilus

Banned
Agreed. At 18gb, it’s not the full game, so I expect performance is better in the full game. Even still, that demo is fire.

But the story, right from the beginning, is very mature and it has nothing to do with sex. And as combat veteran, blood and sex are part of war. The most human part of it, frankly. You’re pretending it’s only mature because of those things, when in fact it’s incidental to the story, and only part of the mature rating.

Same. Been playing since the OG in 89. The idea that if its mature and not turn based its not FF is ridiculous.

It’s definitely not the final product, it’s clearly an 18gb slice, so no idea gluow the final product runs
I was not pretending it was mature because of it. I was contesting people that seemed to imply that because there is blood and sex, it was mature.

If anything, the overall plot is what interests me the most, and probably why I even consider grabbing the game, if I ever do buy it.

Gudji

Framerate seems fine from the first 20 min or so after the kaiju thing in the very beginning
Yeah it's fine most of the time but it definitely needs some improvement for the final release. Thing is we have no idea how old the demo is so hard to say if there's gonna be any significant improvement on the final build.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yeah it's fine most of the time but it definitely needs some improvement for the final release. Thing is we have no idea how old the demo is so hard to say if there's gonna be any significant improvement on the final build.
I would assume its a carved off slice of the final game if its gonna let you carry progress.

Fabieter

Having a great story and worldbuilding is one. That XVI will probably have.

Telling that story in a more "romantic" way..Don't know how to describe it, but basically the way FF VI through X told their stories. Being more soft on the way violence is presented, but extremely mature on its themes. That's something that XVI don't have.

And third: the world always being alien compared to the real world. And when it has tecnology like ours, the design always being pretty out there and/or fantasy inspired. My ideal would be X, but in this regard I dob't have issues with XVI. Don't love it, but don't hate it.

I think the overall setting just don't appeal to me that much.Not that its bad, its good, but its not as appealing as FF 6, 7,9 or 10. settings

Well I dont agree with six being soft storytelling like at all but I get what you mean with 7 to 10. But really compare the nes games to snes games to ps1 games to ffx and tell me they are basically the same? I wouldn't even call the atb battlesystem turn based to be honest.

Do you know that xvi is the first medival setting since ffix? That's the setting the franchise started with.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Well I dont agree with six being soft storytelling like at all but I get what you mean with 7 to 10. But really compare the nes games to snes games to ps1 games to ffx and tell me they are basically the same? I wouldn't even call the atb battlesystem turn based to be honest.

Do you know that xvi is the first medival setting since ffix? That's the setting the franchise started with.

Hey, don't leave XI, XII, and XIV out.

Lokaum D+

Lol, since when sex is originally meant to show affection ? Is one of it purposes ? Sure, but sex has so much others purposes, in wartimes sex can be even used as a weapon, there is so much more to sex than "show affection", saying this just make me believe that u dont have a clue what a mature theme is supposed to be.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

I am gonna wait for PC regardless but I was expecting worse after hearing what Max said

Top Bottom