• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

I recommend Oboro's supports with Saizo. It's a clash of iron wills.

That sounds amazing, I'll pair them up more often. I had the first support between Saizo and Orochi and she totally wants him. Like, at least wait until the B support to make it obvious.

Cant wait to unlock all the characters and really start thinking about pairs and stuff.

I think I like the characters in this more than the characters in Awakening.

Awakening characters felt like they had a single gimmick and then details of their character got written around that. Fates characters feel like they have multiple traits and just feel more cohesive. Compare Oboro and Cordelia. Cordelia is a perfectionist who is obsessed with Chrom. There's other parts to her but they all revolve sround those two traits and those traits will probably come up in every conversation. Oboro thoigh, has her drsire for vengeance, her love of fashion, her crush on Takumi, and her weirdass awesome faced. I really liked her supports with Takumi because it wasn't ~blush kyaaa~ but actually felt like a cool relationship between a lord and his retainer.

Not to say every Fates character is good but I feel like a bar has been raised.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
If I S-Rank a relationship does the baby inherent traits from its parents from that moment, or do I have until I meet it on a mission/paralogue thing?

L95

If I S-Rank a relationship does the baby inherent traits from its parents from that moment, or do I have until I meet it on a mission/paralogue thing?

When you enter the chapter.

I think
Kana
is technically the end of chapter due to wilderness surrounding a certain NPC there.

Insolitus

Banned

Awakening characters felt like they had a single gimmick and then details of their character got written around that. Fates characters feel like they have multiple traits and just feel more cohesive. Compare Oboro and Cordelia. Cordelia is a perfectionist who is obsessed with Chrom. There's other parts to her but they all revolve sround those two traits and those traits will probably come up in every conversation. Oboro thoigh, has her drsire for vengeance, her love of fashion, her crush on Takumi, and her weirdass awesome faced. I really liked her supports with Takumi because it wasn't ~blush kyaaa~ but actually felt like a cool relationship between a lord and his retainer.

I kind of feel the same way, I just wish the majority of the characters weren't royal/retainers I like it better when the characters feel like they all come from different backgrounds. Although I can see why they went that route for this game.

I feel this way about a few of the characters though. I'm biased towards Hana but she's got her devotion to Sakura, her desire to become a great samurai in skill and in duty, her ceaseless training (I joked to a friend that she was girl Akihiko), motivation to show that a girl can do guy stuff. I think a lot of tge characters feel more multifaceted in this and it's really cool.

Lunar15

I think that can be attributed to a lot of the characters specifically being references to older archetypes in the series.

The whole Retainer/Royal setup actually provides an interesting dynamic.

Part of me wants to say it's the localization, which feels a little heftier than 8-4, but I've got no proof and it could simply be the new writer at IS.

Draxal

I feel this way about a few of the characters though. I'm biased towards Hana but she's got her devotion to Sakura, her desire to become a great samurai in skill and in duty, her ceaseless training (I joked to a friend that she was girl Akihiko), motivation to show that a girl can do guy stuff. I think a lot of tge characters feel more multifaceted in this and it's really cool.

Oboro's great, but I honestly don't get that as much as with other characters. Hana really doesn't do anything for me at all as she just seems to be a typical fire emblem tomboy character.

For Cordelia, there was more to her than that, that was kinda downplayed in the Americas for a reason.

Dimmle

I agree about character quality, for the most part. Awakening's streamlined character molds were a low point of that game. Not every character is an Oboro but the highs are certainly higher.

Lunar15

Oboro's great, but I honestly don't get that as much as with other characters. Hana really doesn't do anything for me at all as she just seems to be a typical fire emblem tomboy character.

For Cordelia, there was more to her than that, that was kinda downplayed in the Americas for a reason.

See spoiler above.

Dad

Setsuna is probably more one-note than any of the characters in Awakening, to be fair. It's a pretty mixed bag

Lunar15

Setsuna is probably more one-note than any of the characters in Awakening, to be fair. It's a pretty mixed bag

This is fair, but it's also par for the course. There were a bunch of one note characters in the older games. In fact, most of the old supports were pretty forgettable, outside of a handful of really, really interesting ones.

The only change I didn't like is that the supports started to hone in on pure character relations and not that character's role in the world itself. I feel a bit of a shift back to the latter in Fates, but not with everyone.

Draxal

See spoiler above.

Eh, I thought 8-4 did a fine job for the most as did Treehouse. It's just for Cordelia and I'm wondering if it will happen for Neo-Cordelia
is that instead of Oboro's oni face she has a small bust size which they never referred to in the states for obvious reason

This is fair, but it's also par for the course. There were a bunch of one note characters in the older games. In fact, most of the old supports were pretty forgettable, outside of a handful of really, really interesting ones.

The only change I didn't like is that the supports started to hone in on pure character relations and not that character's role in the world itself. I feel a bit of a shift back to the latter in Fates, but not with everyone.

Both teams did a great job with Oboro, and shows off that it works better like that.

Am I a bad person for just learning that you now need a total party kill to even get a Game Over if you're not on Classic mode? Just noticed that change from Awakening Casual.

Almost wrapping up Birthright at this point if the chapter indicator is of, uh, indication. Dunno if Conquest or Revelation next - I want more character time, and Conquest does sound crushing, but on the other hand, I suspect I might have some plot oddities if I went straight to Revelation.

NeonZ

Just got both versions physical. Which one should I start with?

First FE game ever, but I'm pretty well-versed with SRPGs (Disgaea, Jeanne D'Arc). Leaning towards Conquest but I dunno.

It depends if you want to focus on going mission to mission focusing on a core group of characters ,since leveling up everyone isn't practical (Conquest) or prefer more "space" to be allowed to use a larger number of characters and player around with all the resources outside of combat more freely (Birthright). In Conquest you have the same features as Birthright, but the limited money and inability to go to extra skirmishes limits forces a more limited progression.

Edit: I married Corrin right after chapter 14 just to see how it plays. Will
Deeprealma
be touched in the main story? I don't mind a bit of spoiler on this.

No, that spoiler basically only exists for the child mechanic itself, and the children don't have any role in the main story this time.

Dimmle

I fell in love with the idea of supports after experiencing a sequence of conversations about Eliwood's breakfast preferences in FE7 so I have no right to argue over substantive conversations.

I'm SO glad I played Birthright before Conquest. I loved Birthright but Conquest feels so much more fleshed out with its varied maps and objectives. I just did Conquest Chapter 15, wow! Such a unique chapter.

Story speculation for all 3 games:
I really liked the area you were warped to for Conquest 15, I hope a lot of Revelations takes place there. Seems too cool to only be used once.

Draxal

I fell in love with the idea of supports after experiencing a sequence of conversations about Eliwood's breakfast preferences in FE7 so I have no right to argue over substantive conversations.

Eh, you like what you like. don't feel bad about it.

My favorite character in this game is Arthur even though he's pretty much only has two notes to his character (Justice/Bad Luck).

So I think I found the character I'm going to have my MU support: Reina. I frigging love her design.

Although I kind of wish that circle thing behind her heads was gone.

Eh, you like what you like. don't feel bad about it.

My favorite character in this game is Arthur even though he's pretty much only has two notes to his character (Justice/Bad Luck).
See even there I've only seen a couple of his supports but I also feel like he's got this surrogate father thing going on for Elise because he's just a stand up guy. I also think his personality And gimmick make him really endearing to me because he's such a nice dude even though his circumstances are perpetually bad.

Hugstable

Banned
I heard someone mention that Mycastle fights were good for grinding up Supports, and I was just wondering if the Mycastle battles were the fights listed on the World Map as "Invasion 1"? Just did that first invasion and now it's gone and really want to use those to grind up my supports.

Draxal

I heard someone mention that Mycastle fights were good for grinding up Supports, and I was just wondering if the Mycastle battles were the fights listed on the World Map as "Invasion 1"? Just did that first invasion and now it's gone and really want to use those to grind up my supports.

Go to the orb on your castles, go to visit castles, find a castle that's relatively weak (there's some powerlevel methods there), fight the weak guy.

It's different. For support grinding, you go to other players' castle via one of the option in your My Castle.

silva1991

I know I've been told that other route characters can't be captured, but man that Beruka in ch13 looked so capture-able.

Because the developers hate Setsuna.

After one battle using Takumi, poor Setsuna had no chance of making the team anymore. Only had one spot available for an archer at the time.

Sestuna sucked long before takumi joined us tho :p

I can't believe I just upgraded the armory and not a single new bow is as good as Takumi's.

Rutger

Banned
What difficulty are you guys playing Conquest on? I'm on chapter 10 (the first defense mission) on hard and it's brutal.

Lunatic, I just got through that chapter earlier.
I'm not sure what it's like on Hard, or how your characters are set up. I decided to make Corrin female which means I have Jakob and could turn him into a Great Knight, this allowed me to approach the map aggressively and take care of enemies that would be a threat later in the map if left alone.

I don't know what to tell you if you have Felicia though, someone else will have to help.
Edit: Don't be afraid to buy some tonics and give them to some characters before the map starts if you feel you need some stat boosts.

Baliis

I just got Takumi... Why is he so strong o_o

Did that mission last night as well and really enjoyed it. I was struggling for a while because I'd push too hard and end up getting someone killed. Finally backed off a bit and had my units placed better to take advantage of Sakuras and Felicia's minus damage skills really helped.

Really helped drive home weapon triangle stuff which id mostly been ignoring up to that point. I'd have someone like Kaze or Hane on the front line just destroying people, but then a bad weapon type for them would roll up and they'd get murdered.

Draxal

I know I've been told that other route characters can't be captured, but man that Beruka in ch13 looked so capture-able.

I can't believe I just upgraded the armory and not a single new bow is as good as Takumi's.

Takumi's Bow is a sacred weapon, that's just exclusive to him.

Xenoflare

All of your level ups for the characters stay the same, so if you spent over an hour just letting Azura dance so she can be level 20 or something, the game will remember that and she will still be that same level when you start at the Branch of Fate.

If you want to change that, just restart from Chapter 1.

So it remembers your most recent chapter 6 stats right? That means I can just erase my current chapter 6 save

Jims

After putting a little work in with her in Challenge missions, she was okay. Not great damage output overall, but she had good speed and could double a lot of enemies.

But yeah, Takumi just outclasses her immediately the moment he shows up.

Astral Dog

Im at chapter 12 i think, its normal to lose one carácter since chp. 9/10? they always kill them at the end :(, one of those bow units kill in an instant , i lost the red haired pegasus hoshido girl

Just s-ranked Rinkah. My real MVP on this run.

I'm around mission 13 or 14, when a lot of knights start showing up.

I may have got lucky in level ups, but she has something like 20 strength, 26 defense, 32 hp, 20 speed, and 18 skill. I put her at choke points with a hammer, and the knights go down like grass. Hit level 20 pretty fast doing that.

Now time for my first class change!

PK Gaming

Word.

I felt the same way about Mozu. I thought she'd be the token shy moegirl, but her supports with Corrin and Takumi show a whole new side to her. The characters are really great this time around.

Top Bottom