• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

Coworker told me that she does goblet squats and stiff legged DL with her 14 month old in her hands. I don't know, maaaaaaaaaan...I mean, as humans I get we're trying to maximize our time or whatever, but something seems strange about utilizing your child this way...

Edit: fucking terrible 1st post for a new page...

GrapeApes

Coworker told me that she does goblet squats and stiff legged DL with her 14 month old in her hands. I don't know, maaaaaaaaaan...I mean, as humans I get we're trying to maximize our time or whatever, but something seems strange about utilizing your child this way...

Edit: fucking terrible 1st post for a new page...

I can't imagine someone doing a DL with a 14 month in their hand. Not saying a person wouldn't but I need to visual diagram of the act. Can't even imagine carrying a melon doing a DL. Get her to take a picture next time, very interested in the mechanics of it all.

BumRush

I can't imagine someone doing a DL with a 14 month in their hand. Not saying a person wouldn't but I need to visual diagram of the act. Can't even imagine carrying a melon doing a DL. Get her to take a picture next time, very interested in the mechanics of it all.

She said she cradles underneath, with the baby laid out flat. I would've asked her to demonstrate but I think there are laws against that...

mdsfx

I weighed in at 237.0lbs this morning.
You lost 0.4 lbs overnight...

South Bronx Paradise, Baby!!!
athf_ep051_04.jpg

In all seriousness, wouldn't it make sense that you are low on energy? That seems like quite a calorie deficit for someone of your size.

Sort of related, I saw someone cycling the other day holding on with one arm / hand, cradling a very young baby in the other. Fucking lunacy. So easy to lose control when one handed on a trail and I don't fancy the baby's odds of surviving with a bike / fully grown adult landing on it.

In all seriousness, wouldn't it make sense that you are low on energy? That seems like quite a calorie deficit for someone of your size.

I should think it'll get harder and harder as his body fat percentage drops. Can't imagine what will happen to his metabolism either (though I suspect that's being helped by the fasting).

ILoveBish

I'm usually struggling with too much energy. It takes me 2 to 4 hours to get to sleep every night. I have way too much energy. The new issue is feeling tired when I wake up, I didn't have this till a week or so ago. Hopefully it's just adjustment to my new meal plan.

And yep .4 down this morning. And I almost got the 9th belt hole in at the gym. Even if the scale isn't showing major changes, my body is big time.

mdsfx

I'm usually struggling with too much energy. It takes me 2 to 4 hours to get to sleep every night. I have way too much energy. The new issue is feeling tired when I wake up, I didn't have this till a week or so ago. Hopefully it's just adjustment to my new meal plan.

And yep .4 down this morning. And I almost got the 9th belt hole in at the gym. Even if the scale isn't showing major changes, my body is big time.

Have you tried working out at a different time to see if it helps you sleep? Morning vs night? Wonder if a change might help recovery/energy too.

ILoveBish

Have you tried working out at a different time to see if it helps you sleep? Morning vs night? Wonder if a change might help recovery/energy too.

I can't really change workout schedule, I really love going at 1pm or so. It's helped get life back to normal after years of going to the gym at 1 to 3am. Once I eat in usually ready to run through walls.

also started the 23 hour fasting recently vs 21, could be body adjusting to that.

I'd love to try it for a month but I don't think I'd have the mental strength

For most people the most difficult bit would be getting enough calories in such a short timescale. I wasn't able to hit my targets when I tried it. My stomach just wouldn't let me eat the quantities I needed.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member

Damn dude, that sounds terrible. Do you just like lie there in bed staring at the ceiling?

Sounds like you might need to shift your sleeping schedule if you can. Go to bed later and wake up a bit later. How many hours per night do you sleep? I find that if I oversleep, I actually feel groggier in the morning, so I wonder if it's that?

Damn dude, that sounds terrible. Do you just like lie there in bed staring at the ceiling?

Sounds like you might need to shift your sleeping schedule if you can. Go to bed later and wake up a bit later. How many hours per night do you sleep? I find that if I oversleep, I actually feel groggier in the morning, so I wonder if it's that?

To add to this Bish, do you stare at screens a lot before bed? TV, phone, tablet, etc?

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
To add to this Bish, do you stare at screens a lot before bed? TV, phone, tablet, etc?

Good point. I try to stop using screens at least 30 min before bed (an e-ink device is normally OK, just not an LED like your phone, laptop, TV, etc).

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I've been back in the gym consistenly the last month and a half and I'm already seeing the best gains I've had in years. I'm 6'5, 220 lbish but my body fat was ridiculously high after horrible eating, binge drinking and drugs. Haven't felt or looked this good in the past 4 years or so.

I'm alternating between leg days, back/arm days and chest/shoulder days. I'll probably do this for another month and a half and then switch it up to something like the full body routine posted in the OP.

Also what do you guys do when the gym is ridiculously crowded? 90% of the time I go late at night but the last week or so I've been going directly after work.

I've learned to be patient and if a machine or bench press is taken I'll immediately look for something else to do whether it's dips or pull ups.

But damn those two dudes taking up the incline press for 15 minutes when the gym is packed is ridiculous and against gym etiquette IMO. If I see the incline press open, I'll get in my 3 sets, rack my weights within reasonable time (1 minute between sets).

ILoveBish

I am pretty confident I am mentally and physically capable of that, but it would be a hell of a lifestyle change in terms of my social life and meals with my wife.

Seriously though, props to you.

Oh I have the solution to that, no social life lol. I just go to work, gym, shopping for food when needed, cook when needed, and sleep. I decided that if I was going to do this lifestyle change proper, i had to give it 110%. I plan on socializing again once I have a flat stomach, it's getting there that is the problem, I know once im there it will be super easy to maintain and recomp. I don't expect it to take more then a year from now.

For most people the most difficult bit would be getting enough calories in such a short timescale. I wasn't able to hit my targets when I tried it. My stomach just wouldn't let me eat the quantities I needed.

Being armenian, growing up we ate huge meals. Problem was a few hours later, we'd eat another huge meal, etc etc. It's no wonder I got so obese. So i prefer to have one huge meal a day as I feel totally satisfied. It makes sense to me.

I make sure the room is pitch dark, then just hit the sack. Tossing and turning is common. try to be in bed by 10pm. Usually I make it, other times It's 11 or 12. I have to be up by 830 everyday for work. I try to get 8 hours but sometimes 6.5 or 7 depending. It would be difficult to change sleep schedule.

I use my phone for about 10 minutes before I sleep, usually checking this thread Lol.

Good point. I try to stop using screens at least 30 min before bed (an e-ink device is normally OK, just not an LED like your phone, laptop, TV, etc).

Yah I'm trying to reduce screen usage before bed, but it is difficult, it's every where.

ILoveBish, you could try using blue-light filters for your screens around bedtime. F.lux works well for PC and Twilight works well for my Android phone/tablet. Supposedly, blue light fucks up serotonin production and messes with sleep cycles. Not sure if it is legit or not, but I believe the science is sound and it is free to try. Just a thought.

Chocobro

Ah gotcha now. Derp moment lol.

To be honest I don't use my phone before bed. I do use my laptop, which has f.lux, ~10 minutes before bed. Can't say I notice a difference in how fast I fall asleep because I've had f.lux installed for a few years.

BumRush

I always stop playing on phone / computer / Witcher 3 at least 30 minutes before bed. I fall asleep hard...and fast.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I've been back in the gym consistenly the last month and a half and I'm already seeing the best gains I've had in years. I'm 6'5, 220 lbish but my body fat was ridiculously high after horrible eating, binge drinking and drugs. Haven't felt or looked this good in the past 4 years or so.

I'm alternating between leg days, back/arm days and chest/shoulder days. I'll probably do this for another month and a half and then switch it up to something like the full body routine posted in the OP.

Also what do you guys do when the gym is ridiculously crowded? 90% of the time I go late at night but the last week or so I've been going directly after work.

I've learned to be patient and if a machine or bench press is taken I'll immediately look for something else to do whether it's dips or pull ups.

But damn those two dudes taking up the incline press for 15 minutes when the gym is packed is ridiculous and against gym etiquette IMO. If I see the incline press open, I'll get in my 3 sets, rack my weights within reasonable time (1 minute between sets).

15 minutes between two guys is nothing. I am on the bench a minimum of twenty minutes by myself between warm ups and 5 minute breaks between working sets. But I work out late, when there's less demand.

Gym etiquette is funny though. We're all selfish and don't ever want to wait. I was happy to see a couple doing squats, though the female could have done her quarter depth squats anywhere. No risk of that baby weight falling.

I ended up having to use a squat rack whose safety bars are way too high, so I need to stand on a step-up to do my full depth, low-bar squats. And then I see a guy doing bicep curls in the power rack. That's my power rack!

Welp after 3 days of no gym I went back at it. Did 150x3 on OHP which sucks since I've done 3x5 before but maybe because of my life situation I haven't had that much appetite. Life def sucks for me now but at least that 1 1/2 hrs that I spent at the gym felt like a little bit of the mental burden just melted away from me. On the bright side I lost about 4 lbs in a week so I guess this time is an impromptu time to cut for me :)

Ventara

So I've recently started trying to get into shape, and I've been going to a gym that holds boxing/muay thai workout sessions. After 2 months, although I can feel I have some more muscle, I don't look all that different, and I figure it's because of my horrid diet. So I've been looking into the OP and checking out myfitnesspal, but I kinda feel overwhelmed. A few questions I have:

1.) For my exercises, it's just the 1 hour workout sessions at the gym, and we do all kinds of things, so I don't know what to enter. Like, we start with jogging/ropes/jumping jacks, then sometimes stretch, then a mix of different workouts that combine pushups, crunches, situps, jumping and lunges. Then for the next half of the class we pair off to practice punching/kicking. What do I enter this as? Do I need to split off each individual activity in the 1 hour class?

2.) Keeping track of the food I eat seems a bit daunting. I eat mostly home-cooked meals, but I don't always cook the meals. I know what's generally in them, but with all the spices and salt, it starts to sound like a headache to keep track. Like, even when I cook, should I keep track of all the salt and oil I'm using? How about mayo and ketchup? And I don't really have a scale to measure food weight. Should I try to estimate and go from there, or is that a bad idea? I don't want to keep track of every miniscule thing I eat.

3.) I'm 5'10" and weigh 160lb, male. I like my body size, but I do want to have more muscle. Like not a lot, but a six-pack and a not-so-bony chest would be nice. Currently, I entered that I want to maintain my weight. Should I be gaining/losing weight? With my 1 hour daily exercise, it says that I can eat 2400 cal., which should include 300/80/120g of carbs/fat/protein. I'm guessing I should switch to 150/150/200?

Sorry if my questions seem stupid. There just seems to be so much to keep track of. I'm thinking I should just try to roughly work my way towards the recommended calorie intake and not worry about the small stuff until later, since I eat a lot and simply cutting back should probably help. Anyways, thanks for any and all help!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Its a good time killer. Plus motivation at times (actions not words.) Seeing guys the same build/size as you killing it on their lifts. When you got guys ~170 (most likely natty) pulling 7 plates it just gives you hope. I ain't really start fucking with YouTube until I stumbled on this thread.

Just because they weigh 170 doesn't mean they are natural. At all.

ILoveBish

Just because they weigh 170 doesn't mean they are natural. At all.

This is why I don't bother with most YouTube lifters. Chances of them being natty are slim to none. They need the results to get a fan base going, so they'll do things to get them. Rather just be the best I can be them compare to someone with questionable motives. All the motivation I need is in this thread.

The mirrors at the gyms I go to suck balls. The new gym stops slightly below waist level. The old one is full length but the squat area the mirror itself splits down right in the middle so one side looks normal and other side looks warped

In other news I hit a squat PR at 235 pounds. Proud of myself lol

So I've recently started trying to get into shape, and I've been going to a gym that holds boxing/muay thai workout sessions. After 2 months, although I can feel I have some more muscle, I don't look all that different, and I figure it's because of my horrid diet. So I've been looking into the OP and checking out myfitnesspal, but I kinda feel overwhelmed. A few questions I have:

1.) For my exercises, it's just the 1 hour workout sessions at the gym, and we do all kinds of things, so I don't know what to enter. Like, we start with jogging/ropes/jumping jacks, then sometimes stretch, then a mix of different workouts that combine pushups, crunches, situps, jumping and lunges. Then for the next half of the class we pair off to practice punching/kicking. What do I enter this as? Do I need to split off each individual activity in the 1 hour class?

2.) Keeping track of the food I eat seems a bit daunting. I eat mostly home-cooked meals, but I don't always cook the meals. I know what's generally in them, but with all the spices and salt, it starts to sound like a headache to keep track. Like, even when I cook, should I keep track of all the salt and oil I'm using? How about mayo and ketchup? And I don't really have a scale to measure food weight. Should I try to estimate and go from there, or is that a bad idea? I don't want to keep track of every miniscule thing I eat.

3.) I'm 5'10" and weigh 160lb, male. I like my body size, but I do want to have more muscle. Like not a lot, but a six-pack and a not-so-bony chest would be nice. Currently, I entered that I want to maintain my weight. Should I be gaining/losing weight? With my 1 hour daily exercise, it says that I can eat 2400 cal., which should include 300/80/120g of carbs/fat/protein. I'm guessing I should switch to 150/150/200?

Sorry if my questions seem stupid. There just seems to be so much to keep track of. I'm thinking I should just try to roughly work my way towards the recommended calorie intake and not worry about the small stuff until later, since I eat a lot and simply cutting back should probably help. Anyways, thanks for any and all help!

1: Sounds like it's just circuit training. I'd record an hour of that (or whatever they have that's general exercise / moderate cardio). Or if you want to be really specific, half an hour of that, half an hour of kickboxing.

2: You don't need to calculate spices and shit when working out recipe calories. Unless you're putting in really serious amounts of them anyway. Oil, yes, as a tiny amount makes a big difference. As for anything else that you eat regularly, don't bother measuring it, just have an idea of how many servings you have and track that. If you don't have a scale then it's irrelevant anyway... all you can do is ballpark as best you can.

3: If you want more muscle, you'll need more weight, simple as that. Track your weight and work out what calorie intake you need to reliably put on about 1lb or less a week. You might as well forget about worrying about the macros. If you don't have a scale you wont be able to calculate them anyway. Just get as much protein as you can... though 200g for your weight is ridiculous. If you do end up measuring, don't bother going past 0.8g / lb (which is about 128g for you).

Balls. I bought a weight tree to tidy up all my plates and it doesn't hold as many as I thought it would. Will have to buy another... and then some more plates to completely fill that one too.

mdsfx

Yes! Ran 8 miles today in my new shoes without the help of an IT band support strap and had almost zero discomfort. F*ck you, strap!

I can finally start doing leg days again (albeit carefully). Can't f*cking wait. These chicken legs don't know what's coming...

Ventara

1: Sounds like it's just circuit training. I'd record an hour of that (or whatever they have that's general exercise / moderate cardio). Or if you want to be really specific, half an hour of that, half an hour of kickboxing.

2: You don't need to calculate spices and shit when working out recipe calories. Unless you're putting in really serious amounts of them anyway. Oil, yes, as a tiny amount makes a big difference. As for anything else that you eat regularly, don't bother measuring it, just have an idea of how many servings you have and track that. If you don't have a scale then it's irrelevant anyway... all you can do is ballpark as best you can.

3: If you want more muscle, you'll need more weight, simple as that. Track your weight and work out what calorie intake you need to reliably put on about 1lb or less a week. You might as well forget about worrying about the macros. If you don't have a scale you wont be able to calculate them anyway. Just get as much protein as you can... though 200g for your weight is ridiculous. If you do end up measuring, don't bother going past 0.8g / lb (which is about 128g for you).

Thanks for the help! I'll make sure to try to keep track of oil. So for my calorie intake, should I lower it so that it's 96/96/128 (so it's 30/30/40% like in the OP), or should stick to the 300/80/120 it suggested me? I'll look into acquiring a scale soonish.

BumRush

Yes! Ran 8 miles today in my new shoes without the help of an IT band support strap and had almost zero discomfort. F*ck you, strap!

I can finally start doing leg days again (albeit carefully). Can't f*cking wait. These chicken legs don't know what's coming...

Feels good!

Thanks for the help! I'll make sure to try to keep track of oil. So for my calorie intake, should I lower it so that it's 96/96/128 (so it's 30/30/40% like in the OP), or should stick to the 300/80/120 it suggested me? I'll look into acquiring a scale soonish.

I really wouldn't worry about the macros. At your stage it's not worth getting hung up on the details. Also, it's percent of calories from each, so it doesn't work out 96/96/128, it would be more like 43/96/128 (grams)... but that would be wrong anyway as it calculates out to no-where near enough calories for you at 1283 kcal.

Have a look here to get an idea of how different setups work out: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator, but like I said, you don't need to get obsessive about it.

ezrarh

Sarychev with an effortless 617x5 bench..

https://youtu.be/alXs5HeLtew

Hi guys - I only recently got back into serious lifting again at the beginning of the year but this is a good opportunity for me to shill Sheiko's training method. Boris Sheiko coaches Kirill along with many other champion powerlifters so if you're looking to improve on your S/B/D I'd highly recommend looking into it.

The basics of it can be found here:

http://sheiko-program.ru/the-basics-of-sheiko-by-robert-frederick

I've been able to improve my squat/bench/deadlift significantly since the beginning of the year. Unlike 5/3/1, I'm squating and deadlifting twice a week each and benching 3x a week (lifting 4 days total). Once you get to the more advance programs the major downside is that it does take a long time to complete each workout (~1.5 hrs or more depending on how long you rest).

Chocobro

ezrarh, thanks for the reminder. I felt I was missing a few intermediate programs like Sheiko, Smolov, and Smolov Jr. I'll add those tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom