• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violet_0

Banned
hey FitGAF, I want to ask you a kind of silly question that nonetheless is sort of relevant to me

I was wondering what would happen if a relatively skinny person (as in, they haven't really ever trained their ab muscles) would continue to lose fat until they get to a low body fat % level. Would their abs be visible, or is it absolutely essential to also train the muscles?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
hey FitGAF, I want to ask you a kind of silly question that nonetheless is sort of relevant to me

I was wondering what would happen if a relatively skinny person (as in, they haven't really ever trained their ab muscles) would continue to lose fat until they get to a low body fat % level. Would their abs be visible, or is it absolutely essential to also train the muscles?

Everyone has abdominal muscles and they will become visible if body fat is reduced enough.

They may not "pop" out much, but they will be visible. Just look at Christian Bale's physique in The Machinist.

Violet_0

Banned
Everyone has abdominal muscles and they will become visible if body fat is reduced enough.

They may not "pop" out much, but they will be visible. Just look at Christian Bale's physique in The Machinist.

alright thanks, that gives me something to work with. Dieting first and training second, gotcha

Ixian

Code monkey here as well, and our break room is also a constant source of snacks that I've fortunately become disciplined enough to avoid. Letting myself get a little loose with my diet this weekend at Coachella since I'll be dancing around all weekend though; gotta try some poutine and other goodies. :)

Edit:

Quest releasing 3 new bar flavors and other stuff. (Rocky Road, Oatmeal Chocolate chip, Blueberry Muffin)
I am a computer programmer.

WHAT HOW DID I MISS THIS POST. I WANT ALL OF THESE! D:

Violet_0

Banned
Uhhh... why not both?

uh yeah, what I meant is that I'll prioritize dieting, but I'll continue training of course. I'm already quite slim and just recently started building strength so I'll probably get there faster by losing the extra fat. FitGAF would have a good laugh at my current upper body "build" :p

Faiz

Am I strange that I don't even find stuff like that even tempting to me? That store bought crappy bakery items just don't seem enticing to me. Past fat me maybe but now I see them as disgusting. Don't get me wrong. Fresh, home baked goods like pies, cakes and such I'll eat but not those stale store bought things. Even better is quality ice cream. Going to cheat or eat "dirty" might as well eat something good.

Some of it sucks. Some of it isn't half bad.

And it's all tempting, but if it sucks I'll certainly eat less of it!

Faiz

uh yeah, what I meant is that I'll prioritize dieting, but I'll continue training of course. I'm already quite slim and just recently started building strength so I'll probably get there faster by losing the extra fat. FitGAF would have a good laugh at my current upper body "build" :p

Don't worry we aren't all beefcakes!

BumRush

Like psycho, I would suggest you do both at the same time. In your case, because you're slim, I'd actually hit the gym hard while eating a good deal of quality calories. Turn that fat into muscle my man.

SeanR1221

If you ask some of the dissenters in Sean's progress pic thread, they would probably claim they prefer that look...

Ahahahahhaa.

Those quest flavored sound amazing.

Damn it feels good to be on the last notch of my 36 size belt. And to think, When I started losing weight I was on the verge of my 38 belt not fitting and needing a size 40. Now I'll need a 34 next time I'm at Costco.

SeanR1221

Had an awesome lower body workout today.

3/3/3/3/3x165kg + 1x 200kg Sumo Deadlift
5/4/4/4x 120kg + 1x 140kg Frontsquat

Short version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yt9xWMnkJo
Long version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_mrNIqgcaA

I'm still linearly progressing. I didn't expect to focus that much on strength when I started lifting 13 months ago. This workout was 2 hours long and I just did these 2 exercises with some mobility warmup in the beginning.

Yeah saw your lifts on insta. Looked good!

BumRush

Had an awesome lower body workout today.

3/3/3/3/3x165kg + 1x 200kg Sumo Deadlift
5/4/4/4x 120kg + 1x 140kg Frontsquat

Short version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yt9xWMnkJo
Long version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_mrNIqgcaA

I'm still linearly progressing. I didn't expect to focus that much on strength when I started lifting 13 months ago. This workout was 2 hours long and I just did these 2 exercises with some mobility warmup in the beginning.

Good stuff dude.

Psh, I have my weights 20 feet from my office.

But yeah, I imagine your job is a shitload better for you than mine is for me. =/
Oh it gets me down sometimes, brother. With my thyroid issues there's days I don't want to roll out of bed and when I do I was wishing it was off of a cliff. Makes even a short 8 hours drag.

But that's why we have stimulants like God's ultimate creation: COFFEE :D

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm a designer for an architectural LED lighting company. I develop a product concept, engineer the optics and mechanics through production, working with a bunch of collaborative teams. We just won an award from Next Generation Luminaries for our new light fixture (people seem to love it because of the small frame, no visible power cord - just aircraft cables, and the void in the middle). It was my baby so I'm pretty proud. Going to Lightfair in San Diego to accept the award and celebrate!

What do you guys do??

Last year I was a Federal Correctional Officer. Now I'm a Federal Contracting officer/property officer. I work on putting out/accepting/monitoring government contracts for spending with the prison and I monitor all accountable/real property. I work in the business office, lol.

Still work in the prison and I'm still on a special tactical team.

Question for you guys. On an overhead press, should my elbows be tracking out away from my sides, straight forward, or somewhere in between?

Also I just hit 60 pounds down after my run today, will probably be a little heavier when I check in the morning to actually put in my log, but I'll be there by the end of the week either way.

p.s. question for you. Is there any medical reason doing tabatas would NOT be healthy? I mean, I can't imagine raising your heart rate that high 3 times every week would be ideal (or is it?!?)

The reason I'm asking is because they're fucking amazing and I don't want to ever stop doing them.

They're fine unless you have a pre-existing condition or are elderly, but there's a version for the elderly too, so even they can do them.

That's it, three days above target weight, I am officially cutting again! \o/

We made it Mikey, we made it!

Except I'm not pretty, and I don't have much in the way of muscles.

bchamba

Had a pretty crappy squat session. Was supposed to low bar 360 for a 3x3 and then an amrap but the first set felt like a max so I dropped it down to 355 and got in 9 more total reps over 4 sets. My back was still feeling fried from deadlifts on Monday so I might cut some volume and accessories from my deadlift day so my squats aren't affected like they were today.

Side view is 360, front view is the grindiest 355 ever:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Jsfqe1mum8WmhMS1drR180MkU/view?usp=docslist_api

I'm a designer for an architectural LED lighting company. I develop a product concept, engineer the optics and mechanics through production, working with a bunch of collaborative teams. We just won an award from Next Generation Luminaries for our new light fixture (people seem to love it because of the small frame, no visible power cord - just aircraft cables, and the void in the middle). It was my baby so I'm pretty proud. Going to Lightfair in San Diego to accept the award and celebrate!

What do you guys do??

Thats badass, congrats. I'm a web developer/erp&crm manager.

WoodWERD

2500kcal is most likely not a 20% deficit for you unless you exercise a ton. Might even be maintenance. What is your body fat?

300g of protein is way too much. Probably somewhere around 150-180g is the right amount for you.

http://gradientbody.com/2015/10/30/optimal-protein-intake/
http://gradientbody.com/2015/12/19/what-to-eat/

I have no idea at this point. Thanks for the links though, I figured that protein number was too high and was aiming more for the 2-250 range. I know what to eat at this point, it's how much that throws me. Once I use a food scale for a while I'll be alright.

Yesterday:
- 2 hb eggs + 1 slice of wheat bread and pb (bread here doesn't have a nutr. label)
Gym
- Smoothie: skim milk, 2 scoops whey, raw oats, bok choy, banana and strawberries
- 2 chicken breasts and some roasted veggies (carrots, sweet pot and broc stalks)
30-40 min biking around town
- Big handful of nuts + roasted soybeans
- Street food, basically a chicken breast w/fried egg and some veggies wrapped in a thick, greasy Chinese-style tortilla

Washed it down with a little Chinese liquor and called it a day.
/English teacher in China

mdsfx

XUPJzHJ.jpg

what have you done to me

Oh, it's there. First thing I put in. Upped it to 200mg this time. Crushing caffeine pills seriously feels devious for some reason lol
Depends how you do it. With a razorblade and open flame? Lol also I had to cut caffeine our today.I'm not about the life. Stayed up until 2am last night.
Didn't know the second pill had caffeine until I consumed it. Had me sweating around my mouth like a coke fiend

Ixian

Lots of new Quest products in addition to what was mentioned above.
They also have upgraded versions of their chips. I wanna order some right now but I'm located close by so they'd be sitting outside while I'm at Coachella over the weekend. :(

velociraptor

Just your average medical student, trying to change the world and not fail this stupid fucking board exam. I kinda miss making an income instead of the negative money I'm currently making, but I do enjoy being in school (when not studying forever).
Oh shit, me too. I have my exams in 2 weeks and I'm stressing the fuck out. Don't know how I'm going to do this. Feck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom