• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Few questions on this...

1: Any particular advantage to 3/5/1? I've seen two people here switch to that.
2: What do you guys do about accessories if you have a particularly good day? The other day I ended up doing four sets of jokers / 16 reps on 1SL and it took absolutely ages including the rest periods. By the time I was finished I'd gone way over my intended session length (which is already huge because of all the mobility work I do).
3: What's preplin? Doesn't seem to be in the book (beyond).

1.) You don't have your 3 and 1 week back to back. It breaks up the heavy weeks. Right now I'm actually cycling in a fourth week. My cycle goes like this: 5/3/4/1+ or 80%, 90%, 85%, 95%.

2.) I don't do much in the way of accessories, only ones I feel like I need to do. A lot of people won't agree with me but I would guess that 95% of people are doing too many accessory movements and not enough compound movements. The only accessories I did today were pause squats and dips, but I had a great workout. I only did those two because I feel like I need help in those two areas, specifically three seconds in the hole on the squat and some tricep work. Friday the accessories will be box squats and close grip bench. Maybe some pull ups.

On this day it sounds like you had an amazing day so accessory work can always be pushed. In my opinion there is nothing more important than the main lift. But I'm also training for a meet in six months so I know my mind set will be a little different.

3.) Prilepin was a russian who studied Olympic lifters and the effects of training. He built a table for how many lifts (both per set and total sets) a lifter should do in a work out based on the percentage off of their max. The table has been used by powerlifters for awhile now. Here is a good article on it: http://70sbig.com/blog/2012/05/prilepins-chart/
Another good prilepin article: http://www.elitefts.com/education/training/sports-performance/prilepins-chart/

1.) You don't have your 3 and 1 week back to back. It breaks up the heavy weeks. Right now I'm actually cycling in a fourth week. My cycle goes like this: 5/3/4/1+ or 80%, 90%, 85%, 95%.

Makes sense. I'm doing it slightly differently by offsetting my weeks for each lift. Makes it a bit more complicated to track, but it also means I wont get wrecked some weeks / have much easier other weeks. I like to try and avoid that because it starts to affect my cycling training (which is far more important to me).

2.) I don't do much in the way of accessories, only ones I feel like I need to do. A lot of people won't agree with me but I would guess that 95% of people are doing too many accessory movements and not enough compound movements.
All my compounds are done first, usually two or three per day (though not all in 5/3/1 style). I can live with being tired when I get to my accessories, but obviously shouldn't be for my main lifts.

...and yeah, I guess in reality I'd already worked my body pretty hard, so I could have dropped the accessories that were related to my main lifts on the day.

Makes sense. I'm doing it slightly differently by offsetting my weeks for each lift. Makes it a bit more complicated to track, but it also means I wont get wrecked some weeks / have much easier other weeks. I like to try and avoid that because it starts to affect my cycling training (which is far more important to me).

I've been thinking of doing that for my squat and deadlift. Those two kill me on 90%+.

It might be that you need to back off on the joker sets. I only end up doing one or two on days I feel good or if I have a ton of time to lift (like on a Sunday). I also do a pyramid type of training on the main three so I try not to kill myself with jokers.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Very flattering but I think we discussed this back a few OTs ago, and the general consensus was to not feature members and keep it neutral just so we don't push anyone (novel) away.

Exactly this, as flattering as it was at the time, and is again, I wouldn't want to be featured for exactly the reason Sean stated. This is an inclusive group, none of us are over any other. Putting that in the OP even though wouldn't be the intent, would imply it or could be construed that way.

Let's keep it as it has been with information the new member, lurker, or experienced to read and maybe get new information.

Brolic made a good point about these to me awhile ago. I believe he does 10 overall and breaks them into sets. I try to do two sets of 5 but its really just get 10 done. This is what I've been doing. Brolic if I misspoke for you let me know. It was awhile ago.

When I did it, I would do AMRAP on the last set (to a max of 10) then do 3 joker sets only to the prescribed regular set for the day increasing my 10% each set (5,3 or 1) if I hit all 3 joker sets for all prescribed reps I wws done. If I missed any of the 3 sets I did first set last.

And yes, on first set last, if I can't get 10, it gets broken into more sets until it gets hit.

Right now I'm doing iron sport though. I bounce between the two depending on goal.

WoodWERD

Longtime lurker checking in...looking for a little assistance. Seems a bit lazy but I figure this comes as naturally as breathing for many of you. I've been lifting consistently for around 6 months now and as of this week have switched from a beginner routine to an upper/lower split routine (4x/week version). I think that's a great site for the next OT list btw, but anyway. I'm still very much a beginner, especially when it comes to diet. I've made big strides but I'm winging it with food and hope you guys can help me dial it in. I eat pretty clean, rarely eat out, and have cut down some on booze. Where I get hung up is portioning and measuring out my daily intake. I'm in China and have yet to pick up a food scale, and get twisted trying to figure out metric -> imperial measurements from nutrition labels and whatnot. Based on my starting weight of 240lbs/109kg I came up with:

~2650 cal per day (20% deficit)
300g/1200 cal protein
195g/780 cal carbs
73g/660 cal fat

Does that look about right? Protein seems high. I'm now down around 225/102kg but have not adjusted the macros yet. My goal is to lose fat and build muscle, and I'm 6'3". I just want to know what one day's worth of food looks like to hit those (or more appropriate) macros. When I google sample meal plans they always have foods unavailable to me, and MFP will show 5 different counts for something as simple as a cup of brown rice or roasted broccoli. I get annoyed and blow it off. Here are foods that ARE NOT feasible given my location: turkey, decent fish, cottage cheese, most breads, natural peanut butters (I do have Skippy!), jerky, and I think that's it for the basics. I import ON whey and usually get in 2-4 scoops a day. I'll be picking up a scale one of these days but if you guys could help me get a ballpark idea I'd greatly appreciate it!

JoeNut

Longtime lurker checking in...looking for a little assistance. Seems a bit lazy but I figure this comes as naturally as breathing for many of you. I've been lifting consistently for around 6 months now and as of this week have switched from a beginner routine to an upper/lower split routine (4x/week version). I think that's a great site for the next OT list btw, but anyway. I'm still very much a beginner, especially when it comes to diet. I've made big strides but I'm winging it with food and hope you guys can help me dial it in. I eat pretty clean, rarely eat out, and have cut down some on booze. Where I get hung up is portioning and measuring out my daily intake. I'm in China and have yet to pick up a food scale, and get twisted trying to figure out metric -> imperial measurements from nutrition labels and whatnot. Based on my starting weight of 240lbs/109kg I came up with:

300g/1200 cal protein
195g/780 cal carbs
73g/660 cal fat

Does that look about right? Protein seems high. I'm now down around 225/102kg but have not adjusted the macros yet. My goal is to lose fat and build muscle, and I'm 6'3". I just want to know what one day's worth of food looks like to hit those (or more appropriate) macros. When I google sample meal plans they always have foods unavailable to me, and MFP will show 5 different counts for something as simple as a cup of brown rice or roasted broccoli. I get annoyed and blow it off. Here are foods that ARE NOT feasible given my location: turkey, decent fish, cottage cheese, most breads, natural peanut butters (I do have Skippy!), jerky, and I think that's it for the basics. I import ON whey and usually get in 2-4 scoops a day. I'll be picking up a scale one of these days but if you guys could help me get a ballpark idea I'd greatly appreciate it!

Sorry i can't be of too much help here as my diet is essentially chicken salad x infinity, however i do have a question for you. Why can't you get decent fish in China?

Based on my starting weight of 240lbs/109kg I came up with:

300g/1200 cal protein
195g/780 cal carbs
73g/660 cal fat

Does that look about right? Protein seems high.
Protein is too high. Most of us here now suggest ~0.8g / lb max. Some go to 1g / lb because they're too lazy to calculate though. :)

Oh, and while MFP has a bunch of different values for most things, they're usually pretty close to each other unless someone has made a huge mistake (and that value will stand out as wrong anyway). Point is, don't obsess about accuracy, you're aiming for a long term change to your diet which will result in body composition changes. You don't need to be accurate to the gram to do that.

As a starting point just make sure you get a good variety of food in you, and aim for your minimum protein intake. You can become obsessive about it later if you like. :p

WoodWERD

Sorry i can't be of too much help here as my diet is essentially chicken salad x infinity, however i do have a question for you. Why can't you get decent fish in China?

I live inland, so everything starts off expensive and goes higher. A couple little salmon fillets are pricey, everything else looks like it's been frozen for centuries.

Protein is too high. Most of us here now suggest ~0.8g / lb max. Some go to 1g / lb because they're too lazy to calculate though. :)

Oh, and while MFP has a bunch of different values for most things, they're usually pretty close to each other unless someone has made a huge mistake (and that value will stand out as wrong anyway). Point is, don't obsess about accuracy, you're aiming for a long term change to your diet which will result in body composition changes. You don't need to be accurate to the gram to do that.

As a starting point just make sure you get a good variety of food in you, and aim for your minimum protein intake. You can become obsessive about it later if you like. :p

Ok thanks, I read 1-1.5x and went with the middle.

Rest week is boring as fuck although I'm still not getting quality sleep. Trying to hit the bed earlier to recharge but I just can't fall asleep. With the upstairs torn apart I'm sleeping on the floor so that doesn't help. I may have to just suck it up the next week and a half until everything is back in order and cut my losses on the other side.

I'll consider this my final mini-cut in the last month before my 1 year weigh in. Still sucks tho. Although I did manage to throw some leaps on the game so far this week so I want to keep that momentum going. At least there is that.

mdsfx

You'll love it bro. Hardest part about running a marathon is the training the actual race is cake

I'm trying to wrap my head around this. I mean, it's doable for most people to complete (walk/run/crawl) i suppose, but I wouldn't call running for 4 hours "cake"!

I'm trying to wrap my head around this. I mean, it's doable for most people to complete (walk/run/crawl) i suppose, but I wouldn't call running for 4 hours "cake"!

I think he means if you are able to train to go that distance, the actual event is easier then your training runs.

i was going to run at the park (it's a lovely place and got a running trail) this weekend to see where i'm currently at on as far as stamina and pace but the fucking rain man. no bueno.

Irobot82

One of the sleeves of my barbell has gotten loose. It shifts now about 1/4" or more. I'm trying to figure out how to tighten it. It has a Hex slot at the end of the sleeve that I can fit my pinky in. I don't own an allen wrench that big. Would Home Depot or somewhere sell something like that?

Here is a picture I took

9M5A29xl.jpg

LAST EDIT: Anyone have ANY idea what brand of barbell I own? I see zero markings at all. It has a very dark patina on it. There is a screw at the base of the collar and this hex at the end. It also has a center knurl.

One of the sleeves of my barbell has gotten loose. It shifts now about 1/4" or more. I'm trying to figure out how to tighten it. It has a Hex slot at the end of the sleeve that I can fit my pinky in. I don't own an allen wrench that big. Would Home Depot or somewhere sell something like that?
Yup! They should have the size you need.

BumRush

Yeah, home depot or any auto parts store will most likely have the hex key large enough to fit the bar. Take the loose one off (if you can) and bring it to the store. Otherwise, measure the hex dimensions and bring them to the store with you.

Irobot82

Yup! They should have the size you need.

Yeah, home depot or any auto parts store will most likely have the hex key large enough to fit the bar. Take the loose one off (if you can) and bring it to the store. Otherwise, measure the hex dimensions and bring them to the store with you.

Sweet thanks! It was freaking me out loading weights up on my back only to have them shift on me. Gets dangerous when it gets heavy.

mdsfx

Lol I wasn't questioning Bruce's godlike, marble physique. Dude looks awesome.

For me, training is really just the time I have to put in to get to 90%, but raceday is when I lay it all on the line to grind for a PR. I've never had a race, from a 5K to a half marathon, that I would've called easy because of how hard I push myself. Guess it just depends on your goals: Completion vs time.

Edit: That probably sounds elitist or arrogant, but that's not my intent at all. I'm no elite runner (not even close), just trying to convey how I view races compared to my training.

BumRush

Edit: That probably sounds elitist or arrogant, but that's not my intent at all. I'm no elite runner (not even close), just trying to convey how I view races compared to my training.

You don't sound elitist at all. I just think Bruce is saying that after a grueling training schedule, one more race - the big race - isn't that bad. Sure it's tough, but training for a marathon is intense. My friend is running the Boston on Monday (for charity) and she's been going to bed most nights at 7:30-8:00 because running 10+ miles multiple times per week is sapping all of her energy.

mdsfx

Man, the food in my workplace is taking its toll on a lot of people. I know so many who have gained weight from working here. There is catered food in here ALL the time. For example, I'm currently eating my lunch next to this:

This is nothing compared to the usual spread. Thankfully I have my willpower back, but damn it was hard for a while when you could grab a badass chocolate chip cookie (they were so huge and delicious) at any point in the day.

Teggy

So question...I'm finding that at times if I am at the bottom of my squat and I start to stall, I wind up pressing hard into the floor with the front half of my foot instead of my whole foot and that gets the weight up. Does this mean that my hamstrings are weak compared to my quads?

BumRush

Man, the food in my workplace is taking its toll on a lot of people. I know so many who have gained weight from working here. There is catered food in here ALL the time. For example, I'm currently eating my lunch next to this:

This is nothing compared to the usual spread. Thankfully I have my willpower back, but damn it was hard for a while when you could grab a badass chocolate chip cookie (they were so huge and delicious) at any point in the day.

What do you do for living if you don't mind me asking? Always curious about that kind of stuff.

mdsfx

What do you do for living if you don't mind me asking? Always curious about that kind of stuff.
I'm a designer for an architectural LED lighting company. I develop a product concept, engineer the optics and mechanics through production, working with a bunch of collaborative teams. We just won an award from Next Generation Luminaries for our new light fixture (people seem to love it because of the small frame, no visible power cord - just aircraft cables, and the void in the middle). It was my baby so I'm pretty proud. Going to Lightfair in San Diego to accept the award and celebrate!

What do you guys do??

BumRush

I'm a designer for an architectural LED lighting company. I develop a product concept, engineer the optics and mechanics through production, working with a bunch of collaborative teams. We just won an award from Next Generation Luminaries for our new light fixture (people seem to love it because of the small frame, no visible power cord - just aircraft cables, and the void in the middle). It was my baby so I'm pretty proud. Going to Lightfair in San Diego to accept the award and celebrate!

What do you guys do??

Damn, that sounds awesome. This is fun! (Congrats by the way)

I ran a Finance department for the last few years (which was incredibly stressful, but it paid well so I stuck with it), but my new job is as a consulting lead & project manager on planning and forecasting software implementations / selling our services to new clients. It's about a 50% raise from what I was doing (plus all the bells and whistles and insane career growth) with about half the stress!

despire

300g/1200 cal protein
195g/780 cal carbs
73g/660 cal fat

2500kcal is most likely not a 20% deficit for you unless you exercise a ton. Might even be maintenance. What is your body fat?

300g of protein is way too much. Probably somewhere around 150-180g is the right amount for you.

http://gradientbody.com/2015/10/30/optimal-protein-intake/
http://gradientbody.com/2015/12/19/what-to-eat/

All you guys have cool jobs. I get dirty all day and hit stuff with hammers n shit. But I guess it has perks. Was greasing a bit practicing the pull down on deads from the video Brolic linked using rebar and nobody bats an eye. Try doing that at your fancy schmancy jobs!

I also program physics and AI.

Just your average medical student, trying to change the world and not fail this stupid fucking board exam. I kinda miss making an income instead of the negative money I'm currently making, but I do enjoy being in school (when not studying forever).

Was really happy with my workout tonight, then I tweaked my goddamn knee on my AMRAP set of squats. Really no idea what happened. :(

Oh, and self employed, business systems.

All you guys have cool jobs. I get dirty all day and hit stuff with hammers n shit. But I guess it has perks. Was greasing a bit practicing the pull down on deads from the video Brolic linked using rebar and nobody bats an eye. Try doing that at your fancy schmancy jobs!

Psh, I have my weights 20 feet from my office.

But yeah, I imagine your job is a shitload better for you than mine is for me. =/

BumRush

It is amazing to see the full spectrum of working and future 'professionals' here. Great question Bum!

I'm glued to this thread...loving seeing what everyone does. Honestly, besides jacksinthe, psycho and brolic I really didn't have a clue what most folks in here did.

crpav

Am I strange that I don't even find stuff like that even tempting to me? That store bought crappy bakery items just don't seem enticing to me. Past fat me maybe but now I see them as disgusting. Don't get me wrong. Fresh, home baked goods like pies, cakes and such I'll eat but not those stale store bought things. Even better is quality ice cream. Going to cheat or eat "dirty" might as well eat something good.

mdsfx

Am I strange that I don't even find stuff like that even tempting to me? That store bought crappy bakery items just don't seem enticing to me. Past fat me maybe but now I see them as disgusting. Don't get me wrong. Fresh, home baked goods like pies, cakes and such I'll eat but not those stale store bought things. Even better is quality ice cream. Going to cheat or eat "dirty" might as well eat something good.

A few of you are good at being picky when it comes to cheating. I AM NOT hahaha. I mean, if I have a choice I'll go with the good stuff, but if I have crappy baked goods in front of me while I'm in cheat mode, all bets are off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom