• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For people living in USA or specifically in NY

HighPoly

Banned
Well, I'm from Brazil, and I'm planning to travel to NY, next year or even 2025.

There's something I love in USA, since I was a child whatching movies in general.
Well, I love american cars, and the Ford Crown Victoria is a kind of NY symble - Manhattan.
I'd like to know if this model stills being used as Taxi or Police Car??

Things have been changing through years, and I'm pretty worried about finding the classic 1998 Crown Victoria, to take some pictures in NY.
RiGQ9qi.jpg

Well, I know that this is a humble desire, but that's why I'm going to US, I mean, I want to visit American NY places, FOOD, language, Stores, Museums and check some cars!
If you love Crown Victoria or even the Chevy Impala, or another cars, let's talk about it!

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Rule n1 from general America guy, never act like you are tourist.
New York people are weird as hell, especially with modern clout, ticktock, YouTubers, Instagram people.

Puscifer

If you go to New York learn the distinction between New York and New York City/NYC, I just left WNY and if was fucking cringe inducing dealing with their attitudes.

Laieon

New York people are weird as hell, especially with modern clout, ticktock, YouTubers, Instagram people.

I've always heard this, but didn't find my first trip to NYC any weirder than anywhere else, and I've been all over the planet.

HighPoly

Banned
Chicago must be an expensive place to live.
I mean, the american middle class families are living in small places trhough the decades.
Houses like that in large cities was totally possible for middle class families ins 50's 60's 70's, but at the end of 80's things are getting hard...
This is a problem here in BRAZIL too...
People are starting to prefer living in apartments...
dgdqLdZ.jpg

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
They haven't made crown vic police interceptors since 2011. I didn't see any last time I was in NYC earlier this year. I don't remember if there were any crown vic cabs.

Last edited:

HighPoly

Banned
They haven't made crown vic police interceptors since 2011. I didn't see any last time I was in NYC earlier this year. I don't remember if there were any crown vic cabs.
Jesus Christ
My dream for the first visiting USA is take a look on a Crown Police or Taxi model
I hope New York City HALL remember what aspects and elements made NYC so Amazing

diffusionx

Gold Member
No, those have not been NYC patrol cars or yellow cabs for a very long time.

This is so overblown. New Yorkers can spot tourists from a mile away, but also most are nice, of course lots of thugs, crazies, and drug addicts roaming about these days, thanks DeBlasio, but normal NYers are nice to them.

Last edited:

Billbofet

I have been to NYC several times for work, and I have always found the people to be pretty friendly overall. If not, they just kind of go about doing their own thing.
That said, last time I was there for work, a bum spit in my co-workers face and I saw a rat the size of a cat in SoHo near my hotel.
NYC is like Las Vegas for me: dazzling and amazing for about two or three days, then I want to get the fuck out ASAP.

Nvzman

Well, I'm from Brazil, and I'm planning to travel to NY, next year or even 2025.

There's something I love in USA, since I was a child whatching movies in general.
Well, I love american cars, and the Ford Crown Victoria is a kind of NY symble - Manhattan.

Things have been changing through years, and I'm pretty worried about finding the classic 1998 Crown Victoria, to take some pictures in NY.
RiGQ9qi.jpg

Well, I know that this is a humble desire, but that's why I'm going to US, I mean, I want to visit American NY places, FOOD, language, Stores, Museums and check some cars!
If you love Crown Victoria or even the Chevy Impala, or another cars, let's talk about it!
Crown Vics have not been produced since 2012, as a result it's fairly rare to see cops using them anymore. Same with Impalas. The current iteration to the big sedan cop car is the Dodge Charger (Pursuit). However in NYC I see a lot of Explorers and I think even Taurus cars.

dave_d

Crown Vics have not been produced since 2012, as a result it's fairly rare to see cops using them anymore. Same with Impalas. The current iteration to the big sedan cop car is the Dodge Charger (Pursuit). However in NYC I see a lot of Explorers and I think even Taurus cars.
Come to think of it I can't think of the last time I've seen a cop around here (Mass) drive an actual car. They're all in SUV's these days, both the local cops and the staties. Supposedly most police departments are required to buy US brands and the US makes don't make many cars anymore. (So if the cops wanted to buy cars these days they'd have to drive Toyotas or Mazdas which they're not going to buy.)

HighPoly

Banned
Come to think of it I can't think of the last time I've seen a cop around here (Mass) drive an actual car. They're all in SUV's these days, both the local cops and the staties. Supposedly most police departments are required to buy US brands and the US makes don't make many cars anymore. (So if the cops wanted to buy cars these days they'd have to drive Toyotas or Mazdas which they're not going to buy.)
I need to import a Crown Victoria, but I think must be expensive!
And I don't understand about America and Brazil laws, specially if I choose for a Police model
Maybe I could buy and import a regular white, blue or silver Crown

A regular one and make my own modifications here

Last edited:

Nvzman

The Dodge Charger is still a very popular police car but you are right, its slowly shifting towards Explorers and Tahoes, especially now that the 2023 year is the last model year for the current Charger. Maybe if the next iteration has the straight-6 (400hp) it'll remain a popular fleet car, but it'll slowly diminish over time if not.
Also, for the highway patrol, Chargers are still very popular because they still are the fastest police vehicles (not counting EV stuff). And while cops remain dedicated to domestic vehicles, even if they didn't, they'd never really drive anything like a Toyota or Mazda sedan, they usually need pretty beefy and fast cars (Charger is 4000+lbs and has a 300hp V6 and 370hp V8 with 400lb-ft of torque), which I don't really think exists in the sedan world anymore (Charger aside) besides luxury cars.

Last edited:

dave_d

The Dodge Charger is still a very popular police car but you are right, its slowly shifting towards Explorers and Tahoes, especially now that the 2023 year is the last model year for the current Charger. Maybe if the next iteration has the straight-6 (400hp) it'll remain a popular fleet car, but it'll slowly diminish over time if not.
Also, for the highway patrol, Chargers are still very popular because they still are the fastest police vehicles (not counting EV stuff). And while cops remain dedicated to domestic vehicles, even if they didn't, they'd never really drive anything like a Toyota or Mazda sedan, they usually need pretty beefy and fast cars (Charger is 4000+lbs and has a 300hp V6 and 370hp V8 with 400lb-ft of torque), which I don't really think exists in the sedan world anymore (Charger aside) besides luxury cars.
I know I've seen them use a few Mustangs although they mostly want four doors as well. (You can't transport prisoners in a Mustang but they'd be fine for traffic duty.) But like you say, they do want something rugged and decently fast. (Although with copters and radios they don't need to be super fast)

dave_d

I need to import a Crown Victoria, but I think must be expensive!
And I don't understand about America and Brazil laws, specially if I choose for a Police model
Maybe I could buy and import a regular white, blue or silver Crown

A regular one and make my own modifications here
I would guess you should be able to do that. You still see a lot of old crown vics around here that were obviously previously cop cars. (Since the doors are different color than the hood/fenders) Not sure how you go about buying them since old cop cars usually got bought by taxi companies. (But even the taxi companies are switching to SUVs.)

Lone Wolf

RiGQ9qi.jpg

A lot of the nice hotels are filled with migrants right now. Lots of crime compared to a few years ago. NYC is on a downward spiral right now. Hopefully by 2025 it will turn around when you visit.

HighPoly

Banned
A lot of the nice hotels are filled with migrants right now. Lots of crime compared to a few years ago. NYC is on a downward spiral right now. Hopefully by 2025 it will turn around when you visit.
I know bro, but if USA is getting dangerous you couldn't even imagine Brazil
larger cities like São Paulo Capital, Rio de Janeiro Capital are extremely violent
Everything that seems weird, poor or ugly in USA is so far better then Brazil
I know, the best places to live are Denmark, Holland, Sweeden, but USA still an amazing place to live
If you choose for smal cities and rural states from America, things get so much better!

Romulus

Went up in the WTC 2 months before it was attacked and haven't went back.
Loved the experience though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom