• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo - Miss USA says health care is a ‘privilege,’ not a right

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...debate-during-pageant/?utm_term=.c25e6f0aa593

Then Miss D.C. stepped up to answer a question about the most currently contentious subject in the country: ”Do you think affordable health care for all U.S. citizens is a right or a privilege, and why?"

McCullough, a 25-year-old scientist who works at the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, tied in her own experience to her answer. ”I'm definitely going to say it's a privilege," she said. ”As a government employee, I am granted health care. And I see firsthand that for one to have health care, you need to have jobs. So therefore, we need to continue to cultivate this environment that we're given the opportunities to have health care as well as jobs to all the American citizens worldwide."

Bonus bad answer on feminism!

Later, McCullough also stirred up debate online for her answer on feminism. (”As a woman scientist in the government, I'd like to lately transpose the word feminism to equalism.") But as it turns out, a possible controversy doesn't necessarily matter to the judges — at the end of the night, she was named the winner.

EDIT:

Full answer on feminism question:

I don't really want to consider myself — try not to consider myself like this die-hard, you know, like, ‘Oh, I don't really care about men.' But one thing I'm gonna say, though, is women, we are just as equal as men when it comes to opportunity in the workplace."

”And I say firsthand: I have witnessed the impact that women have in leadership in the medical sciences, as well as just in the office environment," she added. ”So as Miss USA, I would hope to promote that type of leadership responsibility globally to so many women worldwide."

Additional quote from: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-the-miss-usa-pageant/?utm_term=.4f92113232dd

Crown me if old.

McCullough, a 25-year-old scientist who works at the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, tied in her own experience to her answer. ”I'm definitely going to say it's a privilege," she said. ”As a government employee, I am granted health care. And I see firsthand that for one to have health care, you need to have jobs

What.the.fuck.

This is the purest example of fuck you got mine possible.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Should I be worried we let idiots be nuclear scientists?

Dr Christmas Jones takes offense at this!

Gf3f0Qp.gif

Bonus:
AHDi2dQ.gif

My mom works her butt off as a Director of Nursing and her health care has become kind of a joke over the years. Real incident from pharmacy:

"All right, your insurer is paying... Wooooow, basically nothing. o_O That will be $95.38."

I know it's not right, but people like that deserve to lose their job because of a serious illness and be fucked at least for a couple of years.

Nepenthe

I bet if you asked her about the coal miners with no jobs and black lung disease, she'd be totally logically consistent and essentially answer they should die!

sphagnum

Banned
It kind of sounds like she took the question literally, like she's answering a test, rather than answering what it should be. "Well of course it's a privilege, you don't automatically have it, duh!"

E-Cat

And I see firsthand that for one to have health care, you need to have jobs.
Wasn't this more of an "ought to or not" question than a test on her observational powers of the status quo...

This is the best they could do for Miss USA?

To be fair, there were other dubious answers from Top 5 contestants:

Before Miss D.C. stepped forward, the questions to the Top 5 were at typical degrees of difficulty: “How would you like the global community to view the United States?” (Miss Minnesota: The U.S. should be viewed as accepting and empowering.) “Which specific issue regarding women’s rights is most important to you?” (Miss Illinois: Women should be able to speak honestly about their experiences at work without retaliation.) “What action would you take as Miss USA to help [suicidal] teenagers?” (Miss South Carolina: Teenagers need to make sure their voices are heard, with counseling or other resources.)

Kinyou

Why do they have to answer questions like this to begin with?

When the protesters shout "Black Lives Matter!", are you countering with "All Lives Matter!"?
Isn't a difference there that feminism's goal isn't to highlight a specific issue, but strives for general equality?

King_Moc

Banned
Miss World: "I think the jobless and poor should die in the street like the dogs that they are".

I mean, that's pretty much what she's saying.

JeTmAn81

Whats wrong with making feminism about equality?

I didn't have a problem with that answer. I find the aggressive attitude of some people to force anyone who believes in gender equality to label themselves as a "feminist" to be quite off-putting. Words have meanings, and I've never been able to identify with that one. I prefer egalitarianism.

Deepwater

She played the base and won for it. I wouldn't call her dumb (or her answers disingenuous, I'm sure she actually believes it), but her type isn't uncommon. She's a well-to-do black in a predominately white/male space (in her career, in the pageant), of course she's going to give respectability politics. That's how people like her survive.

Top Bottom