• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo - Miss USA says health care is a ‘privilege,’ not a right

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
It kind of sounds like she took the question literally, like she's answering a test, rather than answering what it should be. "Well of course it's a privilege, you don't automatically have it, duh!"

Pretty much. Might also explain how she was able to get a STEM job despite not appearing to be incredibly bright. She sounds like a robot, basically.

Whats wrong with making feminism about equality?

Feminism is already that. It's about rebalancing an unbalanced system. Calling it equalism ignores that equality between genders has more or less advanced through women's rights, and removing 'femin' could very easily cause a disregard for the status of women in society right now. Also, it has the problem that the name is too catch all - while it's good to advocate for many causes, having a cause that is focused on dealing with gender imbalances specifically is important, and equalism does not imply such a focus.

Once again we are confronted with the fact that intelligent and smart are two separate things, not always mutually assured.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
The White Female Ben Carson ?

She isn't white.

STQvue1.jpg

geomon

What the fuck did I just read? You get government healthcare but say that we can't? Fuck you lady, fuck you!

Isn't a difference there that feminism's goal isn't to highlight a specific issue, but strives for general equality?

The point I was trying to make was that using ALM instead of BLM trivializes the issue. Of course all lives matter, no one would argue that, but that's not the point.

Similarly, of course equalism is the ideal. But the point is that women are not treated equal in many facets of society. That's why the feminist label exists, it serves to point out that women are not treated equally. Equalism is so amorphous and non-specific, how does that label help anyone? Using that label only serves to minimize the movement.

spock

Weird she doesn't see how people need to be healthy to work, etc. I'd like to hear more of her reasoning since I don't think I've heard any argument against healthcare for all that has held weight when picked a part.

mreddie

Listening to the video, I think she may have misunderstood the question, maybe she meant healthcare should be like freedom or something like that.

That feminism answer though...yeesh.

Proelite

Healthcare is a privilege of the citizens of a country that is prosperous and smart enough to do things the right way.

Some one give me her crown Harvey style.

Measley

People tend to believe it's a priveledge until something bad happens and they need it, but can't get it.

to all the American citizens worldwide

WORLDWIDE!

So basically, 'Death to poor people.. And anyone who isn't me." ��

She is 100% American.

Edit: I don't really see anything wrong with what she said, and I don't think she was really saying that you don't deserve healthcare if you aren't working. That question was kind of a damned if you pick either answer kind of question.

dan2026

Sounds like America in a nutshell.

Every time you wonder how Trump got elected you have to look no further that people like this.

SaviourMK2

I don't think someone who weighs 90 pounds and throws up into a toilet after every slice of pizza just to look good can really say whether or not healthcare is a privilege or a right. If Caitlin Upton didn't hold, you wont either missy.

Not pulling a gotcha, but I'm legitimately wanting to know if my explanation for why feminism is a better term than equalism answers your question.

No I get what your saying and I agree with the premise, but so many GAFers like to pretend feminism exists in a vacuum and there isn't a large stigma attached to it due to a vocal minority of feminists who go beyond the definition of feminism simply being "the advocacy of women's rights on the basis of the equality of the sexes." I think Miss USA is cognizant of that stigma and proposed an alternative name based on the current reputation of the "feminist" label. Just my take, and I didn't respond to your post because I know from experience most GAFers disagree with my take on this and that's okay

The White Female Ben Carson ?

She isn't white.

STQvue1.jpg

She's black....

The contestant? You can drop the white part

other than the fact that she's black, a white ben carson is redundant because carson is only labeled an anomaly because he's black.

There is no "white ben carson", because the majority of conservatives in STEM fields are overwhelmingly white.

When you react by "playing the race card" but didn't read the original article first.

As much as GAF champtions STEM, I'm surprised by the responses in this topic. Giving a crap about your fellow human is a HUMANities thing.

Dierce

Sounds like America in a nutshell.

Every time you wonder how Trump got elected you have to look no further that people like this.

Exactly, there are two types of people who contribute to this cancer. Those who are prejudiced and ignorant and those who tolerate prejudices and ignorance directed onto others. Both are equally bad.

No I get what your saying and I agree with the premise, but so many GAFers like to pretend feminism exists in a vacuum and there isn't a large stigma attached to it due to a vocal minority of feminists who go beyond the definition of feminism simply being "the advocacy of women's rights on the basis of the equality of the sexes." I think Miss USA is cognizant of that stigma and proposed an alternative name based on the current reputation of the "feminist" label. Just my take, and I didn't respond to your post because I know from experience most GAFers disagree with my take on this and that's okay

But that's the thing of it, it's a premise that seeks to undermine the focus of feminism in order to placate dummies

Deepwater

I don't think someone who weighs 90 pounds and throws up into a toilet after every slice of pizza just to look good can really say whether or not healthcare is a privilege or a right. If Caitlin Upton didn't hold, you wont either missy.

I don't think we have to revert to misogynistic quips to talk about how dumb the statements were

Top Bottom