• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo - Miss USA says health care is a ‘privilege,’ not a right

Dice//

Banned
It kind of sounds like she took the question literally, like she's answering a test, rather than answering what it should be. "Well of course it's a privilege, you don't automatically have it, duh!"

That's what I think but that's a damning answer to take literally that says a whole lot else instead.

She's clueless

It still is stupid.

Healthcare still is a privilege for her, if you work. But that is not the case, universal means universal. If you are unemployed you still get healthcare, because very often health is the reason why people are unemployed.

Yes, sometimes this means you will have to pay for stupid or lazy people, but that is part of democracy. The quality of democracy is not measured in how well the rich are doing.

I read to watch what she actually said whats the difference?

She wasn't intentionally making a political statement or as in-depth a statement as people here are making it out to be.

After watching it, I guess she was trying to imply that healthcare is a privilege gained through jobs and everyone should have those jobs. But that still sounds shitty considering the toxic political climate with healthcare being under attack.

She's not white enough for Trump

Right, and I'm sure it might still sound shitty, but if we can't have universal healthcare, we can at least help the people who are able to work. We can also figure out something for those who can't.

If you're participating in this thread, everything you need to help people is under your palm and right in front of your face.

Not only is she a Fuck You Got Mine,
She works in the public sector with the best benefits.

She's a horrible human being

Alright, I give up.

“Do you think affordable health care for all U.S. citizens is a right or a privilege, and why?”
Technically speaking given what the question was, she's absolutely right.

Healthcare for the US is not currently a right. Based on her answer, she more than likely thinks that healthcare should be a privilege that everyone should be able to have, but there's not enough context to know if she thinks it absolutely should be a privilege.

CazTGG

What is with people wanting to use humanism and equalism instead of feminism?

Do people not know what an equalist is?

latest

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
That's what I think but that's a damning answer to take literally that says a whole lot else instead.

She's clueless

Bonkers answer but her feminist answer contextualized it. And she's a scientist. She's intelligent and educated and just has horrific opinions imo.

Her answer on feminism is like a black Trump supporter or log cabin Republican rote response.

She is accurately representing the views of Americans.

The only major western society that believes that even life should be subject to capitalism.

Nobody should be surprised.

Somnid

It's really not fine. Whenever there's a push to benefit "everyone," everyone in that case ends up being white people and almost only white people. That's how it always goes, and that's why egalitarians and "equalists" are almost always full of shit.

Ok so maybe try something with more a mission statement, "anti police militarization", "antidiscrimination", "fair pay", "empowerment" etc rather than the group specifier. There are more paths than the 2 that make up your metal model.

We can start by not propagating the idea that Feminism is hard to understand.

Let's assume everyone is reasonably intelligent said no marketing firm ever. I know you can't possibly believe anti-feminists are that smart at least not in any large number. Seen the North Korea on a map thread? Global warming? Basic (non-alt) facts?

flkraven

Why don't we make the police force and fire department privileges too? Why should I pay taxes for a fire service I won't ever use while some food-stamp using liberal whore gets the fire they started (while smoking crack) put out by firefighters?

bionic77

Well this is taking it too far. Congrats.
I am American.

Other then protesting and resisting Trump (credit to everyone involved) what has our country done in this calendar year that can be considered a positive development for Americans, the world or humanity?

Technically speaking given what the question was, she's absolutely right.

Healthcare for the US is not currently a right. Based on her answer, she more than likely thinks that healthcare should be a privilege that everyone should be able to have, but there's not enough context to know if she thinks it absolutely should be a privilege.

Exactly.

okay, so I guess I'm playing devil's advocate here, but those answers appear fine for both their legal implication and the presumed work environment where the 'f-word' is probably a no-no. Mind you, she has to survive a Republican establishment now, as a poc to boot. You guys are weird about context most of the time, since it's pretty damn obvious going full purity test means getting axed right now.

As for the first one, In technical (legal) terms, health care actually is a privilege first (organized through the market), not an inherent right derived from the state. Asking "which" is a loaded question that can't be properly answered since only answer is correct. If you ask dumb questions, you tend to get dumb answers.

Black Lives Matter and Feminism are still relevant terms because black equality and feminine equality are still offensive in the minds of a decent chunk of society.

Sugar-coating this medicine isn't going to make it go down easier. The recent example of Obamacare vs the ACA argues otherwise, but I'd argue that the only reason so many people flip-flop on healthcare is because it personally affects their day to day life.

Deepwater

Ok so maybe try something with more a mission statement, "anti police militarization", "antidiscrimination", "fair pay", "empowerment" etc rather than the group specifier. There are more paths than the 2 that make up your metal model.

Let's assume everyone is reasonably intelligent said no marketing firm ever. I know you can't possibly believe anti-feminists are that smart at least not in any large number. Seen the North Korea on a map thread? Global warming? Basic (non-alt) facts?

Most natural born citizens would fail the citizenship test, is this a problem with the test, how we teach Civics 101, or simplifying what we mean by "Civics"?

The issue is a lack of empathy and a strong anti-intellectual culture. Your issue trying to compartmentalize something as abstract as an ideology into organizational mission statements and "branding".

The issue is people, not the terms.

Dice//

Banned
Bonkers answer but her feminist answer contextualized it. And she's a scientist. She's intelligent and educated and just has horrific opinions imo.

Her answer on feminism is like a black Trump supporter or log cabin Republican rote response.

Haha fun thought: Make a gender equality class mandatory, but it's a trick, people who object are then actually made to take it. :p
/dumbjoke

But yeah the feminism/equalism is a stupid thing to say and funny hearing it from a girl in an industry that tends to have more men in it.

Hari Seldon

Keep the pitch forks at bay gaf. Maybe she didn't articulate her answer correctly in such a high pressure environment. Or maybe because of her life experience she is an actual conservative. It seems racist to me to subscribe to the belief that if you are not a white male you are only allowed 1 mode of political thought or you are kicked off the island.

okay, so I guess I'm playing devil's advocate here, but those answers appear fine for both their legal implication and the presumed work environment where the 'f-word' is probably a no-no. Mind you, she has to survive a Republican establishment now, as a poc to boot. You guys are weird about context most of the time, since it's pretty damn obvious going full purity test means getting axed right now.

As for the first one, In technical (legal) terms, health care actually is a privilege first (organized through the market), not an inherent right derived from the state. Asking "which" is a loaded question that can't be properly answered since only answer is correct. If you ask dumb questions, you tend to get dumb answers.

You would have be clueless, by how these contests operate or just in general, to take that question in a manner of 'legal technicality'.

ShyMel

While I don't care for either of her answers, or some of the answers from the other contestants, these pageants aren't exactly set up in ways that allow the girls and women in them to formulate articulate answers to questions nor are the questions the real point of the contests.

Keep the pitch forks at bay gaf. Maybe she didn't articulate her answer correctly in such a high pressure environment. Or maybe because of her life experience she is an actual conservative. It seems racist to me to subscribe to the belief that if you are not a white male you are only allowed 1 mode of political thought or you are kicked off the island.

it's a shit sentiment regardless of skin color, and it's that sentiment getting the majority of the pushback here. So, what exactly are you trying to conjure up?

TheExodu5

Banned
So if someone is too sick to work they don't deserve healthcare? If they can't find a proper fulltime employment they don't deserve healthcare.

Absolutely disgusting stance to take.

Ponn

Banned
So if you get in a car accident and you don't have insurance they just leave you on the side of the road to die. People drive by and scoff "Not privileged enough"

America must be one of the most ideologically driven countries in the world, up there with Iran and North Korea. This statement the new Miss USA said is not based on evidence or reason or necessarily rational thinking, it is purely ideological. And the problem with ideologies is they constrict thinking and blinker vision. It also leads to tribalism and an "us and them" mentality. Ideologies, generally speaking, are not a good thing to cling to.

So if someone is too sick to work they don't deserve healthcare? If they can't find a proper fulltime employment they don't deserve healthcare.

Absolutely disgusting stance to take.

Yep. Some how, in a mind like hers, it's entirely their own fault if they're are either sick or jobless or both. People with this bullshit stance should just drop the pretense and say that anyone but them who has to go to a hospital should just be euthanized.

Future

Everyone thinks this if you live in the typical american tv family with working parents and essentially "free" healthcare from your perspective. You grow up thinking is that as long as you work like your parents did then you will be taken care of. And that homeless guy down the street? To hell with him because obviously he did not put in the work

It doesnt take into account that

- you have a child with a preexisting condition. Wait...they arent covered?
- Got laid off from my job unexpectedly, and am having trouble finding a new one. Wait....there is a lapse in coverage? But I am trying!
- Got sick and need to have an extended stay in the hospital. Wait.... I still owe money? But I thought I was covered?

It's the typical cannot empathize until something happens directly to you syndrome. And unfortunately since these people vote, and a bunch of leaders take advantage of this vote, we choose to ignore intelligence and logic and continue the same path

Mimosa97

I don't think she understands what she's saying.

This is kinda sexist. Why wouldn't she " understand " what she's saying ? Are you calling her dumb ?

She's just a shitty person. Don't try to absolve her from her shittiness. Fuck her and anyone who's okay to just sit and watch millions of people die because they're not " good enough " to have healthcare. She is a textbook sociopath.

Yep. Some how, in a mind like hers, it's entirely their own fault if they're are either sick or jobless or both. People with this bullshit stance should just drop the pretense and say that anyone but them who has to go to a hospital should just be euthanized.

I don't care if it is their fault, they still deserve care. (just like I would defend anyone in prison being taken care of, with none of this cherry picking bullshit)

Deepwater

That question itself is too hot a topic to asking beauty pageant participants.

They always ask Miss USA contestants questions about current political topics. It's sort of a thing they do, this isn't the first time a contestant has given a controversial answer to a political question and it made headlines.

Regarding the feminism answer, I'm gonna add this to the OP from another WaPo article, in which her full answer was transcribed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-the-miss-usa-pageant/?utm_term=.4f92113232dd

I don't really want to consider myself — try not to consider myself like this die-hard, you know, like, ‘Oh, I don't really care about men.' But one thing I'm gonna say, though, is women, we are just as equal as men when it comes to opportunity in the workplace."

”And I say firsthand: I have witnessed the impact that women have in leadership in the medical sciences, as well as just in the office environment," she added. ”So as Miss USA, I would hope to promote that type of leadership responsibility globally to so many women worldwide."

It honestly makes her answer even worse...

JeTmAn81

My friend's father used an Uber to go to the hospital when he had a heart attack. Cost of the Uber ride $32.

That same ride in an ambulance would probably cost him a cool $1,200

To be fair, you couldn't expect your Uber driver to resuscitate you from the point of death, either.

Top Bottom