• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo - Miss USA says health care is a ‘privilege,’ not a right

Somnid

The point I was trying to make was that using ALM instead of BLM trivializes the issue. Of course all lives matter, no one would argue that, but that's not the point.

Similarly, of course equalism is the ideal. But the point is that women are not treated equal in many facets of society. That's why the feminist label exists, it serves to point out that women are not treated equally. Equalism is so amorphous and non-specific, how does that label help anyone? Using that label only serves to minimize the movement.

This isn't a good argument. The only reason to stick with something like BLM is because certain people feel invested in it. Keeping the naming is not of strong importance and if this had actual marketing and branding it would have been dropped and replaced because the optics turned bad. Feminism is the same way, it doesn't adequately describe what it is, and it's not terribly inclusive so if you wanted to back another term, why not? Sure there's some ulterior motives and whataboutism but aside from the stupid bikeshedding there actually is a good case for rebranding.

Jakoo

I feel like the only reason the "question category" even exists at this point is to grab headlines about something dumb, outrageous or unpopular one of the contestants said.

It feels cheap.

I feel like the only reason the "question category" even exists at this point is to grab headlines about something dumb, outrageous or unpopular one of the contestants said.

It feels cheap.

More like it says a lot about the people who qualify for the contests and that makes you feel slightly uncomfortable when they're "exposed" or "called out"

Deepwater

This isn't a good argument. The only reason to stick with something like BLM is because certain people feel invested in it. Keeping the naming is not of strong importance and if this had actual marketing and branding it would have been dropped and replaced because the optics turned bad. Feminism is the same way, it doesn't adequately describe what it is, and it's not terribly inclusive so if you wanted to back another term, why not? Sure there's some ulterior motives and whataboutism but aside from the stupid bikeshedding there actually is a good case for rebranding.

Feminism only doesn't make sense to people who don't want to understand it. "branding" is a non sequitur, because the issue is not "branding"

You can argue that there is too much baggage with the labels BLM or feminism, and that's fine, but suggest that ALM or equalism are appropriate substitutes is absurd. Rebranding is one thing. Rebranding to a term that completely removes the focus of the movement is simply preposterous.

Trokil

Banned
minorities

We also have that. Quite a lot actually and still nobody would suggest to stop universal healthcare because somebody else would get it too. If you live in Switzerland and work, you will have to pay for healthcare but you will also benefit, even if you are not Swiss.

But that's the thing, feminism is about equality through achievement of women's rights initiatives. I mean, that's the inherent implication, that feminism exists to eliminate unjustifiable discrepancies in society. Equalism implies that we should address all rights equally (including rights that go beyond gender issues), disregarding that not all rights issues are equal.

Lol, no one was saying all lives matter when black people were slaves, or during segregation or when the police were continually beating the shit out of black people for existing. The point of BLM is to highlight the mistreatment of black people by law enforcement. It's to definitively say "no, I am black and my life fucking matters".

If you think changing the name to All Lives Matter would do anything you are dishonest. No one says All Lives Matter with the intention of batting for black americans. Don't be naive.

It feels cheap.

I think the purpose is clearly to act like they are judging the contestants on other factors besides their beauty, despite it being called a beauty pageant. Extra publicity from lousy answers is just the cherry on top.

Trokil

Banned
Guys, listen to watch she actually said.

https://youtu.be/NWb-NQ0c9Ig

It still is stupid.

Healthcare still is a privilege for her, if you work. But that is not the case, universal means universal. If you are unemployed you still get healthcare, because very often health is the reason why people are unemployed.

Yes, sometimes this means you will have to pay for stupid or lazy people, but that is part of democracy. The quality of democracy is not measured in how well the rich are doing.

If BLM were changed to ALM, the focus would shift to benefit white people more than black people, which defeats the whole purpose of the movement. That's what always happens when there's some sort of push to benefit "everyone" - white people get most of the benefits, everyone else gets ignored.

SaviourMK2

I don't think we have to revert to misogynistic quips to talk about how dumb the statements were

I didn't think I was being misogynistic. I thought I was being prejudice against stereotypical cookie cutter contestants who are dumb as bricks but it's ok cause they is pretty.

But if you feel I was, I apologize, that wasn't my goal.

Lol, no one was saying all lives matter when black people were slaves, or during segregation or when the police were continually beating the shit out of black people for existing. The point of BLM is to highlight the mistreatment of black people by law enforcement. It's to definitively say "no, I am black and my life fucking matters".

If you think changing the name to All Lives Matter would do anything you are dishonest. No one says All Lives Matter with the intention of batting for black americans. Don't be naive.

Oh wow, it didn't even occur to me that Somnid may have been going to bat for AllLivesMatter.

Nerokis

Maybe she doesn't understand the context that question is usually asked in, and is just speaking to the reality of her experience. If healthcare was a right, she wouldn't need a job to have it.

She also made the point that an environment should be cultivated where everyone has the opportunity to get healthcare/jobs, so she does seem to believe that the government should be doing something.

SaviourMK2

Guys, listen to watch she actually said.

https://youtu.be/NWb-NQ0c9Ig

After watching it, I guess she was trying to imply that healthcare is a privilege gained through jobs and everyone should have those jobs. But that still sounds shitty considering the toxic political climate with healthcare being under attack.

She'll probably get an invite to the whitehouse. Trump has a history with pageants

She's not white enough for Trump

Reeks

If you only have a bachelor's degree and a few years of job experience, please don't refer to yourself as a scientist.

AndyD

aka andydumi
After watching it, I guess she was trying to imply that healthcare is a privilege gained through jobs and everyone should have those jobs. But that still sounds shitty considering the toxic political climate with healthcare being under attack.

She's not white enough for Trump

Yea, I hope she was trying to say she is privileged to have it through her work, and thus she wishes work for everyone... which makes sense in a way.

Foffy

Banned
It still is stupid.

Healthcare still is a privilege for her, if you work. But that is not the case, universal means universal. If you are unemployed you still get healthcare, because very often health is the reason why people are unemployed.

Yes, sometimes this means you will have to pay for stupid or lazy people, but that is part of democracy. The quality of democracy is not measured in how well the rich are doing.

Not in neoliberal societies. It absolutely is measured that way in America.

That's part of the problem.

Barzul

Years of brainwashing in American media is why people think this. I wish healthcare was never coupled with employment in the first place. It's what led to where we are.

Somnid

Feminism only doesn't make sense to people who don't want to understand it. "branding" is a non sequitur, because the issue is not "branding"

So then how do you get more people to understand it, or even want to? The term itself is like really easy to misinterpret or gives the illusion it's not about men and men shouldn't care.

You can argue that there is too much baggage with the labels BLM or feminism, and that's fine, but suggest that ALM or equalism are appropriate substitutes is absurd. Rebranding is one thing. Rebranding to a term that completely removes the focus of the movement is simply preposterous.

I don't claim ALM is better because it has it's own racist baggage but I've never heard "equalism" in such a light. Perhaps it has it's own culture to it I don't understand but as a proposal I think it's fine.

But that's the thing, feminism is about equality through achievement of women's rights initiatives. I mean, that's the inherent implication, that feminism exists to eliminate unjustifiable discrepancies in society. Equalism implies that we should address all rights equally (including rights that go beyond gender issues), disregarding that not all rights issues are equal.

And it has been to the exclusion of other groups. Feminism in the classic sense was not necessarily about minority women and certainly not transgender. It's a bit old fashioned. While I do understand some of the strategic value of granularity keep in mind that when you look at it from an adversarial standpoint you are really fighting white christian hetero cis males. Seems like this tent could be bigger?

Oh wow, it didn't even occur to me that Somnid may have been going to bat for AllLivesMatter.

Indeed he was.

The problem is not that it's called feminism. The problem is not that it's called Black Lives Matter

The problem is people want to dilute it so they can ignore the problem.

If the branding was the issue someone else woulda rose up and solved these issues hundreds of years ago.

Anyone that pins the failures of society to meet feminist goals on the name feminism can piss off. Dishonesty at it's finest.

Verelios

Haha, yes, let's not remember how every human has a basic right to good health, or how far we'd go as a country with the majority infirm and dead, nope, fuck you I got mine

i have to admit, if i lived in a society where the poor werent guaranteed affordable healthcare, i would turn to crime in a fucking instant if i needed piles of money to pay for my treatment or a loved one's treatment. i'd find out where the richest folk live and pick a target to rob, or something.

feels fucked up to say that, but i know i have that side in me.. i like to think of myself as a kind and moral person, but i would not be able to accept a horrendous disease or death just because i lacked money. i would do pretty much anything to avoid a preventable catastrophe, including throwing at least some of my morals out the window.

glad i live in a society where everyone is getting taken care of and i get to see it firsthand working in a high tech university hospital. CEOs and junkies get the same treatment. which is how it should be.

mackattk

Rich entitled person from a wealthy family. What else is new?

25 year old scientist. How many people are at that age who is declared a scientist? From what I gather, most scientists would still be going through the PHD. Not trying to knock her accomplishments, but it seems that she had some major help getting to where she is; and from her views, I am not surprised. Since a lot of people with that attitude has had things handed to them their entire life.

I don't claim ALM is better because it has it's own racist baggage but I've never heard "equalism" in such a light. Perhaps it has it's own culture to it I don't understand but as a proposal I think it's fine.

It's really not fine. Whenever there's a push to benefit "everyone," everyone in that case ends up being white people and almost only white people. That's how it always goes, and that's why egalitarians and "equalists" are almost always full of shit.

Deepwater

So then how do you get more people to understand it, or even want to? The term itself is like really easy to misinterpret or gives the illusion it's not about men and men shouldn't care.

We can start by not propagating the idea that Feminism is hard to understand.

"Feminism" isn't palatable to a lot of people not because the supposed ambiguity of the term, it's not palatable because people don't like women.

If she's stating how things are she's correct. Health care, in the US, is a privilege, not a right. It's something you either get subsidized from your employer or subsidized from the government, or paid for out of pocket (or some mix of these three). In the US as things are, nobody has a right to quality or affordable health care. If you live in an isolated part of the United States, even with something like an affordable health insurance law (say, a single payer, 100% coverage law), you still don't have access to good health care.

Now, if she's arguing health care should be a privilege is something altogether different. Without taking anything away from beauty pageants, I've just never played as much importance on them as some Americans do (like our president), and so what someone in a beauty pageant says during a Q/A section isn't something that I really think a lot about.

I'd consider a right vs. a privilege in that a right is something that you have that can only be abridged by government (or someone else) taking it away. You have a right to free speech only because the government (or, say, an angry mob, etc) could take that away from you, but the government doesn't grant you that right -- It's not given to you by the government. I think when we get into this complex language of declaring things that aren't a right as being rights, like, "access to broadband should be a right," I think we're missing the difference between a privilege and a right, but because we've attached this negative connotation to "privilege" we think that means that something being a privilege or somebody being privileged to something is a bad thing.

On the feminism question, I've had feminists explain to me that feminism can be reduced simply to equality of the sexes, and the pursuit of that equality. I've considered myself a feminist insofar as I strive for that as well (though I'm sure I regularly fail at it). Does it mean something else, or at least, if you have to give an elevator-ride answer to a question, is there another explanation that's more accurate today?

Reeks

Entitled bitch is an entitled bitch. What else is new?

25 year old scientist. How many people are at that age who is declared a scientist? From what I gather, most scientists would still be going through the PHD. Not trying to knock her accomplishments, but it seems that she had some major help getting to where she is; and from her views, I am not surprised. Since a lot of people with that attitude has had things handed to them their entire life.

While she might be a 'scientist' at the USNRC, I very seriously doubt she holds an actual scientist title. Those positions require a PhD or years of equivalent training.

I highly disagree with her statement although I do have a question.

Do a majority of Americans care about beauty pageants such as Miss USA anymore?

While I do understand some of the strategic value of granularity keep in mind that when you look at it from an adversarial standpoint you are really fighting white christian hetero cis males.

No not really. Feminism isn't about fighting people. It's about fighting ideals and disemination of power structures that are driven by patriarchy.

If you are male the current societal structure benefits you period. Whether you are white, black, gay, muslim or whatever. Likewise, the enemy isn't just a straight white christian guy. Not if he is understandig of the concepts of feminism. Not if he pushes forward womens rights.

This isn't about making enemies of people.

I highly disagree with her statement although I do have a question.

Do a majority of Americans care about beauty pageants such as Miss USA anymore?

I don't think so... in the 80s and early 90s, Miss USA was a pretty major event... I used to watch it on TV with my family and if I remember correctly, it took up a major primetime block on a top network.

Now a days, I will never hear anything about MissUSA unless Miss USA does or says something stupid, or the host does or says something stupid ... like the host a couple years ago giving the title to the wrong person at Miss World or whatever it was. There's been a larger rejection of pageant culture in the US, too, especially in the fallout of the Jean Benet Ramsey death back in the 90s, which shed light on how weird pageants are to most people who had no idea what actually went on in children's pageants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YmDcCpD1gc

Acosta

The White Female Ben Carson ?

4a4.gif

Top Bottom