• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

krang

You could work around that. Like do a lap, eliminate the slowest driver, delete lap times, do another lap, eliminate the slowest driver ... If you do it like that and start the qualy race in reverse order of championship standings it could be really interesting. Give them two more engines just for qualifyings over the season and it might actually work.

Or just leave qualifying as it was, tbh. F1's problem is that it comes up with sporting rule after rule to try and fix a problem which at its core is technical. The weekend format doesn't need any more "tweaking".

Aiii

So not worth it
Anyways. YAY TORO ROSSO! Great performance by the little team. Paul Stoddart is having the best day somewhere, today.

What a perfect manifestation of everything wrong with modern F1. Fuck all to do with racing and driver talent. Nothing but convoluted rule systems and off track politics determining the results. This couldn't have come at a worse time. After the last two seasons, F1 needs a shot of adrenaline. Instead we were treated to a CSPAN session on trade agreements. I would be livid if I dropped the cash for a weekend ticket.

TF_Senate.png

I'd rather watch that than another season like the last

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Well... he seemed to be hopeful, but when he started referring to how long the season was and the car's "potential"... he seemed resigned, at least for this GP.

Supersoft will not be the race tyre, therefore they didn't have anything to lose by going out again. They chose not to do so because they probably realized they couldn't beat that time.

That's what I wondered as well. Did they do their run in Q3 on ultrasoft? Cause Hamilton seems to have done his first run on the regular supersoft and his second on the ultrasoft. God, it's so annoying to have three different soft tyre types. Could we potentially be looking at Ferrari doing a three stop race with supersoft-supersoft-supersoft-soft?

tomtom94

It has to be said this thread does demonstrate one problem with F1 fairly well: F1 needs to change but how dare they change things.

DBT85

You could work around that. Like do a lap, eliminate the slowest driver, delete lap times, do another lap, eliminate the slowest driver ... If you do it like that and start the qualy race in reverse order of championship standings it could be really interesting. Give them two more engines just for qualifyings over the season and it might actually work.

Far too long winded. the Q3 format at least worked great before once they all got given the supoer soft set of tyres just for that session, they could maybe have changed it so that you had to use it in the last 5 minutes and not before.

If they want to do elimination hunger games style (I was expecting a cannon and a laser projection in the sky tbh) then the only way is to force all teams to be on track the entire time unless they are unable to do so. Which means giving them tyres that aren't shit.

Just put it back.

So much better looking.

It has to be said this thread does demonstrate one problem with F1 fairly well: F1 needs to change but how dare they change things.

They dare to change them when it needs changing.

I've little recollection of any fan, driver or team suggesting for a second that quali was broken.

May aswell just close it up completely at that point.

Also, that glass at the front it going to destroy airflow to the engine cooling intake above the drivers head......

Those intakes also cool other things like the turbo and the canopy will be deflecting air away from it.

hadareud

The Translator
New format was beyond shite.

Want more excitement? Move back to the old format and remove the tyre limits for qualifying.

tomtom94

They dare to change them when it needs changing.

I've little recollection of any fan, driver or team suggesting for a second that quali was broken.

I don't remember anyone complaining about qualifying being broken ten years ago when it changed to the Q1/Q2/Q3 system in the first place.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Remember we also had that 1-lap qualifying system too at one point.

Which did shake up the field a little, but with the problem of having very few cars on track.

hadareud

The Translator
I don't remember anyone complaining about qualifying being broken ten years ago when it changed to the Q1/Q2/Q3 system in the first place.

Everyone was complaining because it was broken. There would be no cars on track for 50 minutes in an hour and the one by one shoot out didn't work, either.

:lol I didn't realise it was this time already, going to have to watch later to see what a mess quali is. sure sounds like one! If only computer simulators existed which ideas could be tested out before being introduced in the real world...

I suspect the qualifying system will be even worse on longer tracks, now the lap time matched that 90 seconds at least. Places like Spa with lap times up towards 2 minutes will possibly be even more dull than today, but hopefully the qualifying has been sorted by then.
It probably won't.

Lucius86

Banned
I regret not getting up to watch quali now. Reading the aftermath reports is disturbing.

F1 is just utter shit these days.

Jezbollah

I don't see F1 ditching the qualifying format - they're too stubborn to do so.

I think they'll redistribute the format to put more cars into P3. Maybe 10 to 12.

The new format might work if you can only use one set of tyres in each part of qualifying. Each time someone gets eliminated all times are wiped and everyone has to set a new time. You would have to change the elimination clock so that there is time for everyone to actually set a new time of course.

They want more cars on the track and this would force everyone to stay out and drive as fast as they can until they are eliminated. It would probably create more variation on the grid as well as mistakes on a lap could lead to cars usually at the front being eliminated earlier.

DBT85

You mean when it was a 60 minute session and most of the running was done in the last 10 minutes when the trak was good and each driver was only allowed 12 laps, or after that when it was one lap only and on race fuel in 2003 and 2004? Or maybe the 2005 aggregated laps of one on low fuel and one on race fuel?

Its been Q1,2 & 3 since 2006, but even then in Q3 they had to run on race fuel. Since then its had minor tweaks to perfect it and it was undoubtedly the best Quali has been post the 1500HP quali engines and special tyres style from the eighties, and even then it was too spread out.

DBT85

Berni didn't like it at least

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/123341/ecclestone-declares-new-qualifying-crap

"I watched it, but I have to say I wasn't enthusiastic about it from day one," said Ecclestone.

"It was pretty crap. But this is what we've got, until we can change it.

Ecclestone said he was "sure" the format could be revised in time for the second round of the season in Bahrain on the first weekend of April, but he warned against simply going back to the previous format.

plenty more in the link

I wish they'd go back to one-lap qualifying one driver at a time. Probably not a great show at the track, but great TV and really rewarded the guys who can wring the neck of a lesser car for a lap. Probably made Webber's career.

Alonso mentioned tyres for the slower teams now being an even more frustrating issue. In the old Q1 pretty much everyone did a run on primes to get a lap banked and see how things settled, except perhaps the backmarker teams who went straight to options. The new format forces absolutely everyone to start on options, which eliminates a race set for them all. Even the top teams went out on options, but mostly for safety and to avoid needing to go out twice, which cut down their time on track, which defeated the alleged purpose.

Q3 was so horrible. There were, what, a total of 10 timed laps for the 14 minute session? Hamilton was getting out of his car at 3+ minutes left and was out behind the garage flirting with his trainer before the clock hit zero? Not that there's anything wrong with that. When you're good, you're good. Needed a split screen with a salty Nico for full effect.

Zaru

So does anyone know how/why the teams made such heavy gains over the winter?

Did the tyre compounds change? Or where was so much room for improvement? Merc and Ferrari improved 2-3 seconds over last year. McLaren gained 5 seconds and would have been on pole last year (I said LAST year, Wax)

Makes me wonder how things will be scrambled for 2017. They haven't even decided on the basic regulations for that year, have they?

krang

So does anyone know how/why the teams made such heavy gains over the winter?

Did the tyre compounds change? Or where was so much room for improvement? Merc and Ferrari improved 2-3 seconds over last year. McLaren gained 5 seconds and would have been on pole last year (I said LAST year, Wax)

Makes me wonder how things will be scrambled for 2017. They haven't even decided on the basic regulations for that year, have they?

Super soft wasn't available at Melbourne last year. That's one reason for the increase.

pappe

How much of this is because of Mercedes being ridiculously faster than other teams? I mean if the gap was just 0.1 seconds do you think Ferrari would have tried to get the pole by going out again. I think Ferrari just realized no matter how hard they try they will not be able to make up the gap and overtake them and stay ahead and therefore just decided to save tires and engine and same for teams below Ferrari?

Mohonky

How much of this is because of Mercedes being ridiculously faster than other teams? I mean if the gap was just 0.1 seconds do you think Ferrari would have tried to get the pole by going out again. I think Ferrari just realized no matter how hard they try they will not be able to make up the gap and overtake them and stay ahead and therefore just decided to save tires and engine?

They probably figured it wasn't worth fighting for pole and est up tires in the process; as it is they have still used an extra set of the super softs compared to the Merc's who'd only used 2 up until Q3 where Ferrari used 3. So for race strategy, probably better to simply accept current position and fight it out in race and strategy.

Not sure why everyone is so pessimistic about this being a runaway Hamilton year again; only need a shift of momentum and the whole dynamic changes between Hamilton and Rosberg. Ferrari may not be there in single lap pace, but we havent seen their race pace and the new tyre compound changes could really mix up strategies.

darkinstinct

No, the problem with F1 is they change things without thinking them through, then come up with solutions to the problems they created that create totally new problems. F1 rules are in a constant flux of fixing what they messed up by fixing something else. What F1 needs is a complete reboot, a new rule set for the current times based on experiences learnt from the past.

Mohonky

No, the problem with F1 is they change things without thinking them through, then come up with solutions to the problems they created that create totally new problems. F1 rules are in a constant flux of fixing what they messed up by fixing something else. What F1 needs is a complete reboot, a new rule set for the current times based on experiences learnt from the past.

I want them to open up aero and engine regukations. Let them design go back to the days when teams dared to show up with fans on their vehicles, 6 wheels etc. being fast at one track would have guaranteed nothing at another. It would come back to who could create the best oversll package.

darkinstinct

Well, he didn't want it from the start. They introduced this qualifying because Bernie wanted a stupid system. Like the fastest one will start from the 10th place or the winner of the last race will get a time handicap.

Would've been better than what we ended up with. But that isn't hard.

Zeknurn

Formula E is here to save the day.

http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/march/formula-e-launches-breakthrough-race-off-pro-series.aspx

The fully-electric FIA Formula E Championship has launched its first ever virtual championship - Race Off Pro Series - to be held alongside its real-world season.
With eSports enjoying huge growth across all sporting sectors, Formula E is embracing this vast audience by running a virtual championship alongside its electric-powered race series.
The championship will comprise of at least four online rounds, which will serve as a preview to the on-track action ahead of the Formula E races in Long Beach, Paris, Berlin and London.

The first event starts at 12pm GMT on March 24, when a Rivals event will open in the Forza Motorsport 6 Xbox Live lobby. Entrants will have to set their fastest lap around the Long Beach East circuit in an unmodified Formula E car.
The time trial will close at 11.59pm GMT on March 31. The fastest 10 players across the globe will then be invited to compete in a live Pro Series final, which will be held on April 2 in a bespoke online lobby.

https://www.twitch.tv/els_event

Zaru

I want them to open up aero and engine regukations. Let them design go back to the days when teams dared to show up with fans on their vehicles, 6 wheels etc. being fast at one track would have guaranteed nothing at another. It would come back to who could create the best oversll package.

Monkey paw wish. Merc will be 5 seconds ahead instead of 1

mrklaw

MrArseFace
i would imagine because Pirelli would need to know in advance how many tyres to bring to each race.

So have fixed amounts for qualifying and race but keep them separate so teams dont hold off to save tyres for the race. Also give all teams free choice on the race tyre so there is no weird incentive to be 10th

Couldn't be bothered to get up early to watch.

Mercedes miles ahead as usual, Mclaren can't make it into Q3 and new qualifying format is shit as expected. Autosport has 4 stories on the front page on how shit the format is.

Looks like the Wonderboy wankfest will reach new heights now that Toro Rosso has a good PU.

DBT85

Well, he didn't want it from the start. They introduced this qualifying because Bernie wanted a stupid system. Like the fastest one will start from the 10th place or the winner of the last race will get a time handicap.

Oh yeah, his suggestions were bloody awful too.

Zaru

I guess we can expect Verstappen to land a podium this year. He already managed 2 4th places last year in a car that looked relatively weaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom