• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

krang

Oh God...I just realised something. Let's hope someone doesn't say, "Bernie was right, this was bad. Let's go with his reverse grid idea".

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Everybody is having an existential crisis right now.

Everbody except #blessed.

Either they are just scrapping qualifying and do reverse grid stuff or they should just accept that embrace the fact that qualifying will result with the natural speed order of the cars. The "best years" for many people were when we had two long qualifying sessions after all.

Any attempts of making it more "exciting" and introducing chaos elements will just hurt the sports.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Just caught that. Damn, what an awful start and total chaos.

How come the revert didn't go back to commission?

Because that's not making it better. Having two seperate qualifying formats in one qualifying is even more annoying. Just go back to what you had in 2015, there was no need to change it at all. The problems are elsewhere.

Dilly

Banned
That's what you get when you take one concept in F1 that actually works and make it needlessly complicated.

Not being allowed to talk about strategy over the pit radio is also useless.

This sport is so fucked.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Feeling pretty good about my predictions based on qualifying.

F1_2016_AUS.jpg

ElTorro

If sex were like F1, everybody would pull out after three thrusts to save the condom for the next day.

Line_HTX

That podium finish is going to be exactly the same the entire season, with the championship detemined way before the USGP.

Fucking puking.

I honestly don't know how anybody can watch the post qualifying press conferences anymore. I mean unless you have insomnia.

You're right, but I'm always hoping for some stuff from Ted or good driver snippets.

Lol at Hamilton's non-prescription glasses. The man tries far too hard to be cool.

It's a fashion thing, like his ear blings. It's nothing bad and doesn't hurt anyone.

ElTorro

The analogy fails because no one would use and trust Pirelli condoms.

But how else can you make sex exciting if not through the anxiety of not knowing whether you are pregnant or not? Everybody has sex for the chaos element. It is known.

Vettel sounding incredibly dejected with phrases like "it's a long year" and "the car is a good starting point". Haven't even had a first race yet.

Or maybe he's hiding the car's potential.

Ferrari has very strong race pace, so with the qualifying gap massively down, perhaps that also makes them level in terms of race pace.

Sloane

Banned
The new qualifying format is interesting in theory but wouldn't it make much more sense if they weren't allowed to pit? So everybody has to drive on the same tires (primes probably) until he's out? The cars getting lighter should make up for the tire degradation.

darkinstinct

Or maybe he's hiding the car's potential.

Ferrari has very strong race pace, so with the qualifying gap massively down, perhaps that also makes them level in terms of race pace.

I don't know where you guys got the idea that he was downplaying or resignated at all. He said the complete opposite, his words were "There is a gap but we haven't seen the true picture". That's saying they could actually be closer - just chose not to do so because they can't beat the Mercedes.

Juicy Bob

The new qualifying format is interesting in theory but wouldn't it make much more sense if they weren't allowed to pit? So everybody has to drive on the same tires (primes probably) until he's out? The cars getting lighter should make up for the tire degradation.
It really, really wouldn't.

It would be only "exciting" if you just delete all laps after a timeout and give all drivers the oppurtunity for one lap.

darkinstinct

Yes, that would work, except it wouldn't. You're forgetting engine rules, they can't drive as much because the engines have to last four races minimum. Adding what is basically a qualifying race on top ain't gonna work.

Juicy Bob

Doesn't it usually work that way during the race?
The problem is the tyres. These Pirellis can't be pushed for lap after lap. They lose all perfrmance. You can get two hotlaps out of a new set and then that's it - the performance level has already started to go. This is exactly what we saw today.

krang

Yes, that would work, except it wouldn't. You're forgetting engine rules, they can't drive as much because the engines have to last four races minimum. Adding what is basically a qualifying race on top ain't gonna work.

Plus you simply can't do hot lap after hot lap on those tyres.

The format is perfect. For a video game. It'd require the following to work:
1) Unlimited tyres. All compounds.
2) Equal spacing between all cars.
3) Uniform track conditions for entire sessions.
4) No yellow or red flags, ever.
5) Flying laps still count and/or increase the timers to 2x a lap time so a driver can do an outlap + flying lap when on the bubble (that's the part with increased drama).

A video game can totally screw with things to make that all happen. Reality cannot. This'd work for Formula E or mostly-spec series that has short tracks with <1min laps, or for like a GT series where cars stay on the track for extended periods of time anyway.
And even if you could it doesn't solve half the problems, but this is the #1 issue.

This format will probably work even worse on tracks with where laps take 90 seconds or more.

If the elimination clock starts ticking on someone two positions behind and you're in the pits, you're already out as well.

I don't know where you guys got the idea that he was downplaying or resignated at all. He said the complete opposite, his words were "There is a gap but we haven't seen the true picture". That's saying they could actually be closer - just chose not to do so because they can't beat the Mercedes.

Well... he seemed to be hopeful, but when he started referring to how long the season was and the car's "potential"... he seemed resigned, at least for this GP.

Supersoft will not be the race tyre, therefore they didn't have anything to lose by going out again. They chose not to do so because they probably realized they couldn't beat that time.

The problem is the tyres. These Pirellis can't be pushed for lap after lap. They lose all perfrmance. You can get two hotlaps out of a new set and then that's it - the performance level has already started to go. This is exactly what we saw today.

Actually, don't think you can do more than one proper hotlap on these tyres, especially the Supersoft and the Ultrasofts, which WILL be the qualifying tyres at a number of tracks this season.

Which is ridiculous as this system is effectively rewarding not making mistakes over outright speed. They need to be given more tyres for qualifying only if people want to see these guys out more often.

darkinstinct

You could work around that. Like do a lap, eliminate the slowest driver, delete lap times, do another lap, eliminate the slowest driver ... If you do it like that and start the qualy race in reverse order of championship standings it could be really interesting. Give them two more engines just for qualifyings over the season and it might actually work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom