• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Oh, and btw teams, could you please push your cars down to parc ferme way after the session? Because we sorta forgot about that part. Oops."

Tubie

At least when Red Bull was winning it was due to aero/suspension design.

WHY THE FUCK did they abandon the V8s when those engines were mature enough that most teams were almost on the same level when it came to the PUs.

I didn't enjoy it any less than the old format, where nothing matter until the checkered flag.

That doesn't make sense.

The top teams were safe long before the end of the Q2 and the only but big difference was that the mid and low tier teams just gave up now.

What a perfect manifestation of everything wrong with modern F1. Fuck all to do with racing and driver talent. Nothing but convoluted rule systems and off track politics determining the results. This couldn't have come at a worse time. After the last two seasons, F1 needs a shot of adrenaline. Instead we were treated to a CSPAN session on trade agreements. I would be livid if I dropped the cash for a weekend ticket.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I figure the problems with drivers eliminated while in the pits is partially due to teams not being used to the proper timings. That'll get better when they learn how to get a car out in time. Of course you kinda have to predict if you have to go when Out Lap + Timed Lap > 90 seconds.

n0n44m

q1 had potential, 90 seconds is a short time for teams to react though (pit+outlap+lap)

q2 had tire fuckery

q3 is useless, teams (engines...) are so far apart from each other that everything gets sorted on the first lap

Not including the time of the flying lap seems a big factor in this - there is so little time to get out and improve your time. It feels like you have to get into action if you're 4-5 spots above the cut-off. And with 6-8 per Q-session, that means that it's pretty much settled after one or two eliminations.

But I am still not completely awake, so maybe I'm wrong. I need more coffee, maybe that will make me more excited.

Also, well done Max!

WHY THE FUCK did they abandon the V8s when those engines were mature enough that most teams were almost on the same level when it came to the PUs.

Lobbying of the big car companies.

Works teams are what kills F1.

Aiii

So not worth it
That doesn't make sense.

The top teams were safe long before the end of the Q2 and the only but big difference was that the mid and low tier teams just gave up now.

Where as it used to be that the only thing that mattered was the lap they completed at the end and whatever time they set there.

Crema

I like the new qualifying format. The symbolism of only the Mercedes being on the track with everyone else having given up captured the essence of F1 perfectly.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
They really should give them unlimited tires for qualifying. Decouple the tyre strategy for the race from qualifying.

Draconian

What a perfect manifestation of everything wrong with modern F1. Fuck all to do with racing and driver talent. Nothing but convoluted rule systems and off track politics determining the results. This couldn't have come at a worse time. After the last two seasons, F1 needs a shot of adrenaline. Instead we were treated to a CPSAN session on trade agreements. I would be livid if I dropped the cash for a weekend ticket.

tumblr_lpg3so4bvm1qiy6q1.gif

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
This elimination model works only for electric cars. You can build tyres that stay the same for ten to twenty laps but you will always have the problem that fuel consumption is making the car faster as it goes. So you want to set a fast lap with as little fuel as possible, so you force everybody to do it, so nobody will have the time to refuel fast enough to do another run.

The only thing that can save F1 generally is extra weight for the top 6. First and second place gain +15 kg, third and fourth gain +10 kg, fifth and sixth gain +5 kg. That's the only way you can counter the massive advantage some teams have (Ferrari is just as far ahead of the rest as Mecede is ahead of Ferrari).

Where as it used to be that the only thing that mattered was the lap they completed at the end and whatever time they set there.

Even if we follow that logic. Now the fact that all teams making a fast lap at the beginning of Q2 and then give up is somehow better than half of the grid trying to imporive in the last minutes + flying lap?

Deadman

Channel 4 will be happy because by the time their program airs this qualifying format won't exist anymore, so they won't have to bother explaining it.

ElTorro

What a perfect manifestation of everything wrong with modern F1. Fuck all to do with racing and driver talent. Nothing but convoluted rule systems and off track politics determining the results. This couldn't have come at a worse time. After the last two seasons, F1 needs a shot of adrenaline. Instead we were treated to a CPSAN session on trade agreements. I would be livid if I dropped the cash for a weekend ticket.

+1

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
They really should give them unlimited tires for qualifying. Decouple the tyre strategy for the race from qualifying.

Won't work either, Mercedes screwing up tyre management in Q was the only time when we got exciting races last year. Take that away and you're looking at even more boredom.

Aiii

So not worth it
Even if we follow that logic. Now the fact that all teams making a fast lap at the beginning of Q2 and then give up is somehow better than half of the grid trying to imporive in the last minutes + flying lap?

You're the one stating that this is so much worse than before, not me.

krang

Vettel sounding incredibly dejected with phrases like "it's a long year" and "the car is a good starting point". Haven't even had a first race yet.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Qualifying positions should be set based on the drivers running (as in, with their legs) 1km on the track.

hamchan

Goddamn I want Ricciardo to move to Ferrari already. Toro Rosso being better than Red Bull for half a season, ugh what a mess.

tomtom94

Hold the phone... Did Ham just say they have to guess their strategy because they can't be told if it changes?

I believe the idea is that the driver must be in charge of their own strategy and it can't be coached, because there's a small but extremely vocal minority who believe F1 races work exactly like they do in the computer games.

Oxirane

During the elimination phase in Q1 and Q2, could they use sector to sector lap times (e.g. Sector 2 to Sector 2)? That way drivers get a new lap time every sector, and more chances to try and improve a time as the clock counts down.

Q3 could then go back to the old qualifying system.

ElTorro

The problem here is that they did not change qualifying to improve qualifying. They changed it in an attempt to introduce chaos and in that way make the race more interesting. The main problem here is that F1 has had some long periods where a single team/driver massively dominated, and they can't square that fact with the desire to keep development costs low.

yami4ct

Qualifying positions should be set based on the drivers running (as in, with their legs) 1km on the track.

If we want a mixed up grid, let's go full on silly and do fully randomized starts. Watching a random computer generate the starting grid would be just as exciting as the new format and would actually accomplish the task.

Mohonky

You mean how Redbull were clearly always 'bending' the rules with their illegal flexi wings and shit? Or the FIA would take a few races before deciding something was illegal but no one was retroactively punished so they got to keep the advantage they gained from it?

4 years of that, how terribly exciting watching Vettel pull 2.5 seconds over the first lap then just coast around for 2 hrs. Let's go back to that!

There's no way you're going to not have a dominant team unless you open up the regulations on the engines and aero leaving teams to come back with very different design philosophies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom