• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT2| BUT GRO PER

Got to love that red tinted glasses :D

Ask yourself if you had thought the situation dangerous and erratic if it was your favourite driver in Seb's shoes. If any defensive driving is now illegal in general they might aswell decide winners on drag races along the start/finish straight.

Hasney

Ask yourself if you had thought the situation dangerous and erratic if it was your favourite driver in Seb's shoes. If any defensive driving is now illegal in general they might aswell decide winners on drag races along the start/finish straight.

SPOILER:
Mercedes win

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
hMUnnpK.jpg

hamchan

This new rule needs further clarification imo. Seb didn't drive erraticaly. It was normal defensive driving. Albeit tight he left enough space for Ricciardo on the inside. My understanding after the Suzuka incident was that the rule applies to wild last moment moves.

Was it normal defensive driving? It looked like Ricciardo successfully got Vettel to take a wide angle that corner, opening the door for himself to go down the inside. Vettel realizing his mistake tried to correct while moving in the braking zone back in front on Daniel's line.

YourMaster

It's not whether or not the move was dangerous, but if it was illegal or not. And yes, defensive driving is bound to lead to more accidents than always allowing the faster car safe passage.
I think the rule doesn't make the sport more entertaining, but it does make it safer and it seems to be applied correctly.

Par Score

10 Seconds penalty for VET confirmed.
Vettel being the first one penalized under the new rule and dropping below Max was destiny.

Waking up to this is absolutely incredible.

I love that Vettel got demoted back behind Max after being such a crybaby to get up on the podium.

I love that Vettel is the first one to be penalised under the Verstappen Directive after him and Ferrari have spent half a season whining about Max doing it.

I love that Danny Ric gets another podium.

Fantastic end to the weekend.

Seb moved under braking under an overtake attempt which is now forbidden , he himself pushed for that new rule .
Max use to do it under maximum braking without locking up and touching no other drivers while Seb did it clumsy , repeatedly locking and releasing the brakes and in the end hitting Dan.
Justice served !

Zaru

If we actually get another 2008 style last minute finale, then I don't care who wins it.

Mainly because I wasn't there when the 2008 finale happened. Imagine how the current internet would react to such an event.

DavidDesu

Hmmm, Vettel veered slightly leftwards, but to me it really was only a very slight change of direction, and still left Ricciardo space. Not the same as Verstappen's 100% switch that he got penalised for in another race before. Nothing like that at all. Ferrari fan (not fussed about Vettel though) and I'd say it's 70/30 in Vettel's favour. I can see why they gave him a penalty, but the penalty seems too severe.

*shrugs*

Great drama though, even if it is all ridiculous. Verstappen is going to have some mega rivalries if he keeps going the way he's going. For his sake I hope he tones it down and complies with the spirit of the rules, would be a shame if he sullied his talent and inevitable WDC wins by being labelled the bad boy of the grid.

Fox Mulder

Britney only has to win one of the next two races to become champion.

Gimme that #blessed salt

I want him to win one in this final stretch of Hilton wins, but I guess it won't matter to him if he wins the title. His dad won the title with only one win the whole season.

If we actually get another 2008 style last minute finale, then I don't care who wins it.

Mainly because I wasn't there when the 2008 finale happened. Imagine how the current internet would react to such an event.

2008 was fun as shit, but it was the equivalent of two fuckballing basketball teams facing each other in a night where they both get hot for a while but then start bricking everything from 40 feet away. Lewis was not the driver he is today and Massa just plain sucks. I'm still salty Kimi didn't give a fuck because that was easily his year for a painless double.

Kovalainen won a race that year JFC.

dubc35

Perhaps Bernie is leaving a little too soon in that it seemed like Christian Horner was the heir apparent.

Someone who said he doesn't want to return to F1 because of the political side, is going to run the politics. Wut?
Money, power; they create temptations.

Does hammer still post here? He always seemed of the "be careful what you wish for" when it came to Bernies replacement. I'd be interested in his opinion about Brawn possibly taking the role.

Merino

Reading up on all the fallout after last race (which I had to catch up on today), and being a dutch person who has been a fan of Jos Verstappen since his childhood and who is thus automatically predisposed towards Max, I have to say it is unbelievable how quickly Max has turned on the fireworks in F1. Both in terms of his racing pace, personality, overtaking, defending and his challenging of the rules, which in a twist led to the ironical moment where his biggest critic Vettel ended up being the first punished on the Verstappen rule. I wasn't watching F1 during the Prost/Senna, Hunt/Lauda days but it's fun seeing a boy in his second year in F1 already stirring up the start of a possibly famous F1 rivalry with a 4x world champion / Ferrari driver. Last years it's mostly been all about internal team struggles (Webber/Vettel, Rosberg/Hamilton).

It's sometimes hard though to read the heavy responses on social media. More so than being a love him or hate him driver he seems to be someone people love to hate. And some of it does seem irrational. I get that it's been a bit of a strange year with the way Kvyat was replaced by Verstappen and despite winning the very first subsequent race I assume he'll struggle for the rest of his career to gain support in Russia. I'll admit that he has had some driver errors (as both new and older drivers do) yet virtually everyone agrees that he has at least brought back excitement in racing (opinions differ I guess to whether this is safe enough for F1). He's not any more dangerous than other rookies that have come and whom are still driving F1.

So it seems to me to be mostly still backlash against all the praise and hype Max received when entering the sport. The whole wonderkid thing still seems to be the biggest bother to some people. Sure Max is an arrogant fuck (and a young one at that) but that to me just seems the hallmark of a great F1 driver. I don't understand why last race there was a huge backlash against Max being voted driver of the day (partially because the Netherlands just has a huge internet penetration despite being a tiny country) yet it is perfectly fine for Vettel to be voted driver of the day despite whining like a frustrated child all weekend and cursing at the race director. I mean Vettel is an arrogant fuck as well and I actually like him for it in regards to the sport but I just don't see why so many people are being hypocritical and trying to measure with two sticks.

The point isnt to penalize everyone who cuts the track but only those who used it to their advantageon a battle. Imo they should some obstacles / bumpers like in Monza I think or was it Canada. So even if you cut the track you lose time.

But it feels like they don't put in gravel traps or obstacles because they are concerned about safety and cars crashing out of the race. A mandatory penalty zone would incentivize drivers to stay on the track without adding safety concerns.

Mastah

Someone who said he doesn't want to return to F1 because of the political side, is going to run the politics. Wut?

What does interest Brawn is a leadership role at the top of the sport, something former rivals including Christian Horner, the Red Bull boss, have called for. Liberty Media, the new owner, has been surveying the available talent and Brawn is understood to be one of its top targets to take over the sporting, or technical arm, of F1.

“That was nice to hear from Christian. That’s how I like to be involved in the sport,” he told The Telegraph from his country house near Henley. “I would never go back to a team. I did everything I can in a team, but I would be repeating myself.

“For sure, trying to help F1 become a better F1 would be appealing. It would be the one thing that could be interesting. If you ask me what F1 needs, it needs a plan; a three-year and a five-year plan. My view is we haven’t got the ideal structure for creating that plan and implementing it over time.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-...e-is-ready-to-get-back-in-formula-ones-drivi/

jey_16

Banned
i just watched the race...those last 10 laps were great, don't really care about the penalties since they are meaningless in the whole scheme of things

fully expecting Rosberg's engine to blow up in Abu Dhabi and #blessed to win the championship

Linius

Moving a thread like this to community pretty much means only people who were already posting will find their way now
D5Jy4CR.png

fully expecting Rosberg's engine to blow up in Abu Dhabi and #blessed to win the championship

Did you see how happy Rosberg was to see Seb on the podium? Did you see that enthusiastic handshake? With how pissed off Vettel is I fully expect him to ram Lewis out in Brazil ending the championship early.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Did you see how happy Rosberg was to see Seb on the podium? Did you see that enthusiastic handshake? With how pissed off Vettel is I fully expect him to ram Lewis out in Brazil ending the championship early.

Or into Nico

'whoopsie I thought it was Lewis'

Aiii

So not worth it
So, I will start to create a thread for each race in OT from now on we can post in. If wrestling and MMA are allowed to create a thread for each PPV event, then surely we will be allowed to create a thread for each race, right? I think that is allowed.

I will start putting them up on Thursday's before the GP, and link them here when I do.

Zeknurn

I hope you got a message ready for the mods when they decide to lock the thread.

I'm glad that Ross Brawn is going to be in charge of the technical side of F1. I bet he will throw out the 2017 regulations when it turns out they've made things even worse.

hamchan

That's a good idea. Formula 1 is so popular around the world and has so much history, it deserves its own threads for race weekends.

Aiii

So not worth it
I hope you got a message ready for the mods when they decide to lock the thread.
When the wrestling thread was moved to community, we were explicitly told we were welcome to create OT threads for events. So I think it's fine, but if they lock it, they lock it, I suppose.

Zeknurn

Silly season by AMuS translated by /u/CucumberHater
Summary:
Williams - Bottas and Stroll will be confirmed on the 3rd
EJ predicts Ocon at FI, Nasr at Renault and Gutierrez at Sauber.
FI can get a discount of 3 million for taking Ocon. Nasr brings 16 million from Banco do Brasil. Palmer has an equally competitive package for next year. Jonathan Palmer seems to have put together some sponsors.
Bernie wants Nasr in a decent team but Otmar Szafnauer said they would choose what is best for the team not for the sake of others.
FI might need to take money into account since next year's car will need a lot of development. There might not be a decision before Interlagos. Engineers are going to be the deciding factor according to Bob Fernley
Sauber might end up with Palmer, Gutierrez or Giovinazzi, if Nasr leavs. Rumor that Marchionne is a fan of Gio.
Renault engineers prefer to keep one of their current drivers. KMAG has an advantage but Palmer has put in some good performances recently which makes the decision diffiult. Nasr is a possibility for Renault because of Brazil being an important market for Renault.
KMAG and Wehrlein are in talks with Haas. Ferrari no longer insists they have Gutierrez for another year. GUT is fast on one lap but not so much in the race. He's looking for other options now. Wehrlein hopes to go to Haas but he has the option to stay at Manor.
Note: In a different article, Toto said they don't mind sending their drivers to a team that uses different engines.

Video of Stefan Johansson driving the MP4-30 around the Nordschleife in iRacing

acm2000

that vettel penalty is great, after the way he acted on the radio its throughly deserved, wouldve loved to had been there when he found out

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Honestly, this thread should be in OT. We don't cause enough of a board han to just solely be in this. The last thread had better traffic through exposure and even alt f1.

Top Bottom