• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT2| BUT GRO PER

that vettel penalty is great, after the way he acted on the radio its throughly deserved, wouldve loved to had been there when he found out

On a personal level i'm happy he got slapped with a penalty for his reactions. he's just so annoying..

But personally I think it was Max's fault, it was so clear that the position had to be given back immediately, failing to do that and deliberately or not he backed Vettel into Ricciardo whom shouldn't have had the opportunity to begin with.

Max needs to calm down. But it's easier said than done given his age and maturity level.

Linius

I don't understand why so many people say 'given back'. Vettel never got passed Max so there's nothing to give back. And what ever happens after Max went off the track is up to the stewards. Who obviously gave him a time penalty. I fully understand Max and Redbull would rather finish the race and see the outcome from the stewards then to just gift Vettel the third spot.

Aiii

So not worth it
The team told Max not to give the position back, I assume based on the fact that Lewis was never penalized for the same offense, and the fact that Vettel was never ahead or even alongside Max.

It wasn't like it was a very clear cut case of "Yeah, he was next to/ahead of you and you cut the corner so you gained a clear advantage and a position by doing that." So I don't blame RBR for waiting for a official ruling on the matter instead of just handing over the podium and risking doing so for nothing.

Besides, you can't really call out Max immaturity when the 29-year-old behind him was acting like a 14-year-old being told not to play video games all night and go to bed by his mum. :D

mclem

Britney only has to win one of the next two races to become champion.

Gimme that #blessed salt
If my maths is right, you can mostly ignore points now:

If Rosberg gets a P1, he's champion.
If Rosberg gets places totalling 5 or fewer, he's champion.

Not sure if Lewis can win with a P2, or if he needs P1 P1.

Aiii

So not worth it

Nico is only 19 points ahead, so if Lewis wins one and becomes P2 once he can still be champion, only if Nico scores less than 24 points over the next two races. So if he becomes 2nd in the race Lewis wins, he would lose the championship if he finishes P7 or less (at least, they'll equal wins and points then, so I'm not sure who comes ahead on 2nd and 3rd places, but I think it's Hamilton)

acm2000

On a personal level i'm happy he got slapped with a penalty for his reactions. he's just so annoying..

But personally I think it was Max's fault, it was so clear that the position had to be given back immediately, failing to do that and deliberately or not he backed Vettel into Ricciardo whom shouldn't have had the opportunity to begin with.

Max needs to calm down. But it's easier said than done given his age and maturity level.

but max didnt gain an advantage? he got a bigger lead because of it but then backed up back to same gap as before, id say thats fair.

in an f1 world without track limit penalties, just let them race and use common sense.

Hammer24

Banned
Does hammer still post here?

No, he doesn't. Too many idiots with no idea how the sport actually works.

He always seemed of the "be careful what you wish for" when it came to Bernies replacement. I'd be interested in his opinion about Brawn possibly taking the role.

That was way before the Liberty Media takeover. Them not going for Horner should tell you everything you need to know.
Brawn would actually be a good man for the job. While famous for his FER days, he's still got enough ties to the other teams as well, to at least have a hope for some kind of fairness to all. And he's as far removed from the Bernie swamp as an insider could possibly be, a big plus in my books.

but max didnt gain an advantage? he got a bigger lead because of it but then backed up back to same gap as before, id say thats fair.
Ridiculous. If you're going off the track because you can't make the corner and also stay ahead, you're gaining an advantage.

Aiii

So not worth it
Ridiculous. If you're going off the track because you can't make the corner and also stay ahead, you're gaining an advantage.

The problem lies in that Vettel wasn't going for an overtake when it happened. There was no clear cut "oh if Max went back on track, Vettel would 100% been ahead of him" and as such, I can't blame RBR for deciding to wait on a descision, given the Hamilton situation earlier.

I don't mind the penalty, that's fair. I don't agree with Hamilton not getting one, too, but that's some good old steward consistency for you.

acm2000

there were no attempted overtakes going on, all max gained was time which he gave back, if vettel had tried a move and then max had done it, sure hand the place to him then try to fight it back

there is way too much interference in f1

I don't have access to any footage right now, but at the time it looked to me like Vettel was setting up a pass under DRS / braking.

Could be wrong though.

in an f1 world without track limit penalties, just let them race and use common sense.

of course he did. He left the track and gained an advantage. If he wanted to give it back exactly at the point where he went off, then he should let Vettel come side by side with him somewhere in the track and take it from there.

Lewis' also gained a huge advantage but stewards are more lenient in the first lap for obvious reasons. If there was a clear directive for turn one like Spa few years back then Lewis should've got a penalty, but there wasn't

We can easily say what if there was a wall? or gravel trap and judge the move on that basis, but there isn't so it's really up to everyone's interpretation of what was fair and what wasn't. From what I know, rules speicifically say that drivers should not gain advantage from leaving the track. However, the consequence of doing so under different scenarios are not clear and maybe this is an opportunity to clear them

1. Leaving the track while alone and gaining advantage (lewis)
2. leaving the track while in a battle and preventing an overtaking maneuver (max)
3. Leaving the track by mistake and gaining an advantage

Now how difficult it is to specify the penalties/warnings to the above?

FiA sucks

The "went off track but didn't gain an advantage" is complete BS IMO, especially when they're don't slow down on grass.

The pushed the limits, they failed, they go off-track, no intention to slow down so they don't lose a position, a punishment is required.

Put some gravel or some concrete and let's see them pulling that BS.

DieH@rd

Banned
FIA is investigating Seb's radio outburst

VET right now:
no_and_noy03z.gif

I could genuinely see him retiring after next year if Ferrari don't up their game. He just doesn't seem to want to be doing it at the moment.

Zaru

Verstappen is the subject of so much controversy and hate, he might as well be a honorary German and multiple WDC already

He's 29 and only 3 WDC's away from Schumacher's record, he's not retiring for a long while.

He's said repeatedly that if he isn't enjoying the sport he'd step away from it. As he's been able to keep his private life pretty much entirely separate from F1 publicity I think he'd find it much easier than most too.

spuckthew

There are a few points permutations where Hamilton doesn't have to win both races, but they're mostly irrelevant because it relies on the unlikely outcome of Rosberg finishing very low down in the points (like lower than 7th) in both races. Hamilton would still need to finish on the podium though.

The easiest route for a Hamilton win is Hamilton winning both races and Rosberg not scoring in one (since the likelihood of Rosberg not finishing becomes higher due to his current run of good reliability).

Zeknurn

Brundle's column is up.

One final point. When I was leaving the track on Sunday night, one of the teams told me that their projected life from the medium tyres was 111 laps. So what we had was a Pirelli tyre with the characteristics of a Michelin or a Bridgestone because it would last all day with very little degradation.

Did it make the racing any better? It didn't. We saw very little overtaking and until the final laps the Mexican GP was quite an uneventful race. Hopefully next year Pirelli will bring the ultrasofts along with the supersofts to this event, but 2017 is a massive reset anyway.

In the meantime, and particularly for the next time we complain about a lack of grip from the tyres, this was a good reminder that durable tyres don't necessarily make for amazing races. The three compound option works well.

Business

On a related note, I would have penalised Lewis back at Monaco in May for cutting the chicane when Danny Ric was chasing him down.

I have believed for many years that in those situations a driver should be made to go through a penalty box area at pit lane speed limit so that he takes some serious pain for his mistake.

I had forgot about that one in Monaco...

The stewards usually give some leeway in the mad dash at the start of a race and through the first lap, there's so much going on that they would be overwhelmed with potential enquiries. That's what happens when you line 22 cars up together and start as one.

The mad dash leeway dosn't work for everyone I guess, they were strict enough with Sainz.

Mastah

The problem is while tyres were lasting in Mexico, drivers were still driving like usual during Pirelli era - avoiding braking on the limit and getting as quickly out of corners as possible. Why do you think they are all releasing brakes and running wide when there is bigger lock-up coming, which simply wasn't happening before 2011?

Track evolution on dirty circuits like in Mexico is huge, so accounting for no DRS and less powerful enigne modes, difference between quali and fastest laps during race should be in region of 1-1.5 second. How much was it last weekend? 3-4 seconds, so yeah, "durable".

The Verstappen hate is so overblown. Do people even realize that he hasn't ever hit and put another car out of the race? There aren't many drivers who can said that.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

Aiii

So not worth it
I understand their statement, but I don't really like it. They are condemning outbursts in general, not just against the Stewarts. The latter should be prohibited, but the rest is part of the entertainment.

Outburst are fine, it is thenprofanity and namecalling they take offense too and rigtfully so. Even if they have a bleep machine, that is just not very sportsmanlike and it is an all-ages broadcast, after all.

DBT85

Meh, don't have an issue with the language myself. Though outbursts at the officials is never a way to go.

People seem to think its some gentlemans sport or something and that nobody should swear. Lets go back to the good old days, I'm sure nobody ever said anything remotely bad about Hunt the Shunt for example.

The FIA choose what to broadcast after all.
EDIT: sorry, meant FOM

hamchan

Nah FOM chooses what to broadcast.

I do think it's hilarious that Danny has been calling people "cunts of a bloke" and "motherfucker" this whole season and most people have loved it, albeit he does it more jokingly and not towards the actual people running the race.

Deadman

"The FIA will always condemn the use of offensive language in motorsport, especially when directed at officials and/or fellow competitors"

Condemn it so much that they cant wait to broadcast it every single time one of them swears for several years now.

Hopefully the title is decided by someone getting a 10 second penalty for swearing.

Shaneus

The whole wonderkid thing still seems to be the biggest bother to some people. Sure Max is an arrogant fuck (and a young one at that) but that to me just seems the hallmark of a great F1 driver.
You can be a great F1 driver and not be an arrogant fuck. It's just a whole lot harder to be a "nice guy" and a good driver too.

I'd put Danny in that league, but I'd struggle to think of anyone else.

f0rk

If I were Ross Brawn I'd base the next set of regulations on this car but with the current power unit. It looks great, it has the right amount of aero and the active suspension could be an interesting area of development for the teams.

Surely that's getting closer to having the garage drive the car, which is what they've been trying to avoid with the radio bans.

Top Bottom