• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT2| BUT GRO PER

DBT85

Surely that's getting closer to having the garage drive the car, which is what they've been trying to avoid with the radio bans.

Drivers don't control the suspension in their cars.

Active suspension means you can run consistently with an exact ride height, allowing excellent ground effect aero and raising cornering speeds. It doesn't help if your driver is a potato and can't handle the car at those speeds.

The reason it was banned was that a) teams were petrified of the cost and b) if something goes wrong you could very suddenly lose a ton of downforce in a corner and smash into a wall.

The higher speed cornering is something I'm looking forward to for next season with the bigger tyres and different aero. It will hopefully help further lift the great drivers away from the good. Cocking up your first apex on a series of corners will hamper you for all of them, the faster you go the bigger the margin of error.

I do however find it hilarious that for years the FIA has tried to lower cornering speeds by restricting aero and using narrower tyres and putting grooves in them, only to change its mind after all and bolt on more downforce, wider tyres and no grooves!

It's interesting that when technologies are implemented with the goal of increasing cornering speeds they're are so good that then they ban them (ground effect and active aero)
Going back to the FW15C, what about two-way telemetry?

DBT85

It's interesting that when technologies are implemented with the goal of increasing cornering speeds they're are so good that then they ban them (ground effect and active aero)
Going back to the FW15C, what about two-way telemetry?

The active suspension was pre programmed to anticipate the conditions of the track. It even had a way of raising the rear end up to aid overtaking by reducing the drag from the diffuser and so increasing speeds. I don't think it was manipulated during the race?

No way they'll bring back 2 way telemetry.

ramparter

Banned
Best Williams was this

big_thumb_d52cf297a58bbed90e58cef26273a230.jpg

DBT85

Toto having a go at Max for banging weels with Nico

"You could say that Max should have got a penalty for banging the wheels with the championship leader in Turn One and pushing him off the track," said Wolff. "I think maybe the penalty he got at the end was a penalty for all the driving.

"As refreshing as it is and as ruthless as the great ones are, if you race the championship leader three races down to the end, wheel banging, this is not what should happen."

A race is a race.

Maldonado would probably love to drive this.

Everyone should want to. Thing was a beast.

mclem

There's an hour-long interview with Ross Brawn on Radio 5Live tonight at 21:00 GMT. Might be interesting, particularly if he's asked about the F1 boss job.

Zeknurn

Vettel called Verstappen a bastard not cunt like everyone reported.
L69 – FER to Vettel: 3 laps to go.
L69 – Vettel: Move! Move, for fucks sake!
L69 – FER to Vettel: He has been informed. He has to move.
L69 – Vettel: He's a bastard, that's what he is.

And Ricciardo is still the best.
L71+1 – RB to Ricciardo: Nice job on that mate.
L71+1 – Ricciardo: Yeah, but what about all these guys outbraking themselves at the first chicane? I mean Lewis at the start and Max the same. Put a fucking wall there and they won’t do it. That's bullshit guys. Fucking kindergarten stuff.
L71+1 – RB to Ricciardo: Ok mate, understood. You did a very, very good job today. Pace was excellent. As I said, we are speaking to Charlie.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Article on AMuS about Lance Stroll's private testing program to get used to F1.Google Translated

Short summary : Stroll's dad invested around 80 million dollars to organize a private test sessions with 2014 Williams F1 Car, with a crew of 25 mechanics on six different racetracks around the globe.

Well, that is a way if your dad has 2.5+ billion dollars in his pocket

Zaru

Short summary : Stroll's dad invested around 80 million dollars to organize a private test sessions with 2014 Williams F1 Car, with a crew of 25 mechanics on six different racetracks around the globe.

I wonder how much that experience will be worth with next year's huge reg changes.

Zeknurn

Article on AMuS about Lance Stroll's private testing program to get used to F1.Google Translated

All the training in the world won't help if your kid is the next Maldonado.

Aiii

So not worth it
Unless he's driving like Max or even Sainz in his first season at Williams, he'll never be able to rid himself of that billionaire baby stigma. He's like F1's Kardashian. Maybe Lewis will try and date him.

Zaru

Well pretty much any circuit that is just a series of boring straights with very few turns deserves to be in there. But holy shit at that Las Vegas circuit.

DBT85

This was, what, 23 years ago?

Imagine if they hadn't banned it where the technology would be now! Though no one would be able to afford one.

Yep. The pinnacle of the technical side of the sport. Would love to see how that compares to one of the current Mercs or one of the winning RBRs.

Jezbollah

Nor enemies. Kimi was just Kimi, Montoya didn't understand him well and thought he was rude to him

Montoya's problem was with Ron.

Yeah, thats the impression I get - Montoya has pretty much been the same character all the way through F1, but the atmosphere at McLaren when he and Kimi were team mates was by all accounts pretty toxic.

But as it always goes, F1 drivers get a lot more chilled out and relaxed when they're out of F1. Time is also a great healer.

Seeing Stroll causing all those very big crashes in F3 like a blind guy makes me think people will see and re-evaluate Max next year as a much more positive, mature driver if Stroll keeps driving like that.

Top Bottom