• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forspoken demo coming tonight on PSN

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Is the ambient dialogue worse than Horizon ?

Lots of people here talking shit about it lol
Pretty much after everything or during everything, what's worse is it's cringe and the swearing just seems out of place.
Aloy is shy in comparison.

All I could think of while playing this demo.
SickUntriedBlackfly-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:

Camreezie

Reminds me of the reaction to when Square put out a demo for Balan Wonderworld , it cant be as bad as that , right?

MacReady13

Unfortunately while it looks like InFamous in previews, it plays nothing like it

I was hyped for Forespoken but this demo convinced me not to buy it. The game mechanics are extremely clunky for aiming and shooting, the melee is basic.

It almost seems old school in its semi RPG approach because you just select spells and they play themselves, but it feels far less engaging as a result

The graphics are horrible. Blurry, shimmering, overly aliased look to it. Compare this to GoWR and it’s a generational difference

Sorry to say that this is a dud, and Sony wasted money on this and probably why they shouldn’t buy Square. They are very hit or miss. Hopefully FF16 fares a lot better
I really don't want to derail this thread at all as I'm loving the impressions BUT, a while back I said that demo's are free and are a great way to find out the quality of a game over paying for gamepass subscription. Obviously the sub shills shot me down. Glad to know demo's still work and are the PERFECT indicator for finding out whether a game is worth spending money on or not...

Anyway, as you were!!!

-Zelda-

Banned
9 times out of 10, I am down for a square enix rpg, but I am going to pretend this game does not exist, or was made for people who use tumblr, resetera, and twitter, because trash like this sure isn't made for me. Well, not so much twitter now given that situation, but you get the idea.

TGO

Despite what everyone are saying, have no doubt a lot of budget went into this.
You can tell.
It should of went into Valkyrie instead, but yeah..

Yeah, the game looks NOTHING like that.

It looks like mid tier ps4 game with some nice effects.
I know it's been delayed before but they should just take a year and work on polish, smooth it all out and come correct with it.

Like I said i wanted to like this one but...this feels like those old videos of the game were really target renders and they simply didn't reach the advertised level of quality.

I was going to get it on pc and run it maxed out but...i dunno if that's gonna help much with this stuff

Ok, I’m seemingly one of the few individuals in here that liked the demo. Admittedly the controls took awhile to get used to, but once I did, I had fun with the combat and I also liked the traversing. The graphics are nice, HDR looked good on my TV and the world could be interesting. Sort of reminds me of a somewhat more polished FF15 with better, deeper combat imo. I’m looking forward to it. I didn’t even mind the chatty characters either.
There’s a lot of people that like it..a large number of the people bashing it just bash SE games in general if you look at their post history. Don’t take Gafs opinion on anything, that’s a rather large mistake lol
As a disclaimer - I don’t have an opinion personally yet, it just finished downloading, but I will definitely add to the thread, and will throw out my stupid opinion as well 😂

Last edited:

Kurotri

I want to shit on the game too. Who tf is responsible for the art direction? It's vomit inducing, just looking at it makes me depressed. The whole world looks like shit. It's also pretty empty and just boring to be in. Combat is ok I guess? Sometimes atleast. There's a whole lot of shit going on and with the UI it can be pretty overwhelming. Parkour is alright but doesn't save the game for me.

Also dear god I'm sick and tired of devs thinking that the words "fuck" and "shit" is in any way shape or form cool. When will we move away from this? I was just running along and the girl goes FUCK SHIT FUCK. Come on, man. Maybe it was some sort of bug or something because I was looking for enemies around me and there were none, genuinely can't figure out why she decided to use slurs out of the blue like that.

Yup.

Doom85

I want to SHIT on the game too. Who TF is responsible for the art direction? It's vomit inducing, just looking at it makes me depressed. The whole world looks like SHIT. It's also pretty empty and just boring to be in. Combat is ok I guess? Sometimes atleast. There's a whole lot of SHIT going on and with the UI it can be pretty overwhelming. Parkour is alright but doesn't save the game for me.

Also dear god I'm sick and tired of devs thinking that the words "fuck" and "shit" is in any way shape or form cool. When will we move away from this?

Cant Speak Nathan Fillion GIF

jm89

Played a bit deffo not a preorder. The combat is just not working for me, it looked fun in the previews but trying it out meh.

Doom85

I thought the demo was terrible but why are people being nuns about the swearing? What’s up with that? You should curse as much as possible. It cleans the soul, ffs. Are we in a fucking convent?

I remember people complaining about Moira Burton swearing some in Resident Evil Revelations 2. Like, come on, she had presumably never encountered infected before, plus they were being held on an island with possibly no means of escape, who wouldn’t be swearing some in that scenario? And there was a few dumbasses on gamefaqs saying “women cussing is unnatural”. Um, yeah, a few of my closest female friends I’ve had throughout my life would laugh their ass off at such a stupid, sexist take.

Plus, it made for a fun contrast between her and her dad for one instance. Moira accidentally says “shit stains” in front of Natalia (who’s a kid) and realizes and apologizes. Then in his section, Barry is with Natalia and says, “what kind of fu…err, freaked out place is this?!” showing that as a dad he was more used to avoiding profanity around kids. Fun little detail.

hussar16

terrible, sluggish and the internal dialogue...my goodness this dialogue alone will be the death of the game. Can you imagine walking around with a 15 year old for 40 hours while they talk to you about what is on their mind?? Hard pass, very hard pass.
The devs actually think we care and like this story of a modern
I'm not sure what to think....
Game is very polished and seems to be where all the budget for all SE games has gone to.
But I'm not sure if I like it or what I am supposed to be doing.
All I'm doing is running around killing the same things over & over again.
Am I missing something?
And she doesn't shut up and what's worse is she hasn't got much to say so she repeats herself.
And what's with the swearing 🙄
Yeah I don't know what it think 🤔
It's trying to be cool and hip, edguy and modern and also at the same time fantasy epic.its not working

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I thought the demo was terrible but why are people being nuns about the swearing? What’s up with that? You should curse as much as possible. It cleans the soul, ffs. Are we in a fucking convent?
From what i can hear, the YUP is the worst, why the fuck you repeat it. I hate shit like this, when its the same word repeated.

GymWolf

Oh nice, there's a dodge mechanic in the game? Does it have blocking as well? Or a perfect dodge mechanic?
Different type of dodges, block, counter, etc.

The combat has a lot going on between magic skill and parkour.

To quote a more skilled player than me from reee:

Combat seems quite good although I imagine people are going to be put off because the game doesn't explicitly teach you the intricacies of what is there, like certain attacks being different in the air, continually doing timed landing jumps while traversing around to conserve stamina, bouncing off trees to get greater momentum, using the lock-on to grapple to distant enemies in combat, bouncing off enemies or using moves that leave you airborne to setup aerial moves, etc.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Just played a little bit. I turned down the character voices right away because they do talk WAY too much.

Overall I kind of like it more than I thought I would. The magic and spell system is cool and there seems to be a lot of variety.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ok no joke but TGO's images are really literally giving me major eye strain. Jesus my sympathies to anyone who played the demo like that.

TGO

That was my exact reaction,
If I have had a batman symbol in my skylight people would have saw the bat signal in the sky 😐
I had to lower it to 0 for it to be acceptable.
Is it bad that I kinda enjoyed my time with this? It's no masterpiece sure, but I had a pretty good time for what it is.
Nah, I wouldn't say it was bad, but I wouldn't say it was good either.

Last edited:

Elios83

Finished the demo, the fighting system takes a while to get used to, you need to learn how to use the different kind of spells, how to combine them with the magic parkour and the evade moves but once you get the flow it's really fun and can be quite spectacular.
Graphics are great, the activities/tasks are fun at first but I can see them becoming ripetitive in a Ubisoft game style.
If there is a good story and some great main campaign missions this can be a really good and fun title without any goty ambition clearly.

DavidGzz

Damn, you guys lowered my expectations I guess cause I think it's fun. This game seems totally dependant on your display and changing the settings. Performance mode looks like actual shit for a PS5 game. Worse than Dragons Dogma jaggies and texture quality. I changed it to resolution and it's a world of difference. The biggest gulf in visuals I've seen so far between performance and resolution modes. Anyway, I also put it on 120hz mode and it must run at around 40fps because I barely notice any difference in fps which is good cause 30 looks like shit on my OLED.

So once I get used to the spells and parkour, I think it will be fine. Also, I have it on toggle for the spell selection and turned off the quips so it's been great. No talking while I'm fighting.

Bragr

Banned
It feels like a game that is specifically tailored to young teenagers. Right at the age where they age out of the kid stage, it feels like the game is trying to be cool, but only cool to very young teenagers. It's such a weird tone to it.

How can they expect us to pay these sorts of sums when they don't even hire real writers? I am tired of the amateurish nature of video game writing and lore. Take it seriously man.

The constant commentary from the characters sounds so out of place and detached, it's incredibly bizarre to listen to.

Top Bottom