• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forspoken demo coming tonight on PSN

It feels like a game that is specifically tailored to young teenagers. Right at the age where they age out of the kid stage, it feels like the game is trying to be cool, but only cool to very young teenagers. It's such a weird tone to it.

How can they expect us to pay these sorts of sums when they don't even hire real writers? I am tired of the amateurish nature of video game writing and lore. Take it seriously man.

The constant commentary from the characters sounds so out of place and detached, it's incredibly bizarre to listen to.
They hired three no-name Hollywood losers to write this shit. I can guarantee you that this game would have been 1000% better if they just had the Japanese developers working on this game write the story rather than the craptastic Hollywood writing that plagues every ounce of modern movies and TV shows.

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
What the hell did they do to this game? It looks like shit on the PS5

And..

kingsley shut up GIF
shut up GIF by Pose FX
I don't know it looks amazing on my Oled but EVERYTHING else about the game outside of the music is really bad.

DavidGzz

I thought the graphics were good but that's only because I got used to the gross performance mode. Huge downgrade in graphics from the reveal even on resolution mode. It was fun for an hour. I'm done with it now though. I wouldn't ever spend money on it. Sometimes you need to cut your losses and cancel shit that doesn't seem like a good idea the way MS did with that Platinum game.

Last edited:
This game seems to lack a lot of passion. I really wouldn't be surprised if the developers of the game HATED working on some Hollywood moron's lame-ass story ideas. What the hell were Square Enix thinking hiring the writer of After Earth and a couple of f-tier Hollywood actors with virtually no writing experience to make the story and setting of a AAA game?

R6Rider

Gold Member
Yeah, I'll probably pick this up eventually. More fun than expected, but there's too many other titles coming out early next year. A good option for when it's cheaper.

Humdinger

I went in hoping for the best, but I didn't like it, either.

The combat just wasn't enjoyable. I ended up just running past most groups of enemies, because fighting felt like a chore. I had to constantly switch spells with the weapon wheels, and the spells themselves didn't feel all that great. The enemies were kind of boring. I didn't find the traversal interesting, either, although I understand it's one of the game's selling points. It's possible that I might enjoy both combat and traversal once I got more proficient, but I can only judge by what I experienced.

The banter was annoying, but fortunately there is a way to turn that down. However, it's not a good sign, that the developers thought the default setting was the right one.

The world didn't seem interesting to explore, either. Pick some flowers here and there, open treasure chests for two pieces of rock or whatever. I just didn't find it interesting. Most of the world seemed kind of barren.

DavidGzz

2 big things they could do to make it more fun. The parkour should be toggable(not a word I know), and the spells need to be more easily accessible. I shouldn't have to pull up that wheel when I want to go from ranged attacks to melee. I like the punch combo and the exploding spear but needing to use the wheel is a drag.

Also, enemies need to stand out more, besides the stags, I have no idea what shit looks like because everything blends together with whatever is happening with the textures and aliasing. I feel like because of the graphics issues and the controls, the PC version could be a lot better. Mod a different player model, a different way to select spells, and clean up the graphics and it could be ok.

rkofan87

Gold Member
Man the combat is kinda fun. Graphics really pretty. Story looks dumb as fuck. And the main character needs to shut the fucking fuck up. It’s in my wait for sale pile because first half 2023 is too goddamn stacked.
you can turn off the talking with out turning off the vo

I didn't think it was that bad? While it isn't the best thing ever, I can see how it could get more fun and open the more you play it. The 60fps performance mode made such a big difference considering the game is about movement and fluidity, but even still, I couldn't advice anyone to spend $70 on it. Definitely worth it at a discount, but it's square enix, so good luck. I recorded some of my trash gameplay if anyone cares.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I didn't think it was that bad? While it isn't the best thing ever, I can see how it could get more fun and open the more you play it. The 60fps performance mode made such a big difference considering the game is about movement and fluidity, but even still, I couldn't advice anyone to spend $70 on it. Definitely worth it at a discount, but it's square enix, so good luck. I recorded some of my trash gameplay if anyone cares.

The dialogue was rough. Graphics okay. UI very cumbersome and ugly. Controls slightly odd. Gameplay ... okay.

I will pick it up on deep sale. I liked the fire barrier move and the game is unique. I won't be surprised if there's some genuine fun buried beneath multiple severe design flaws.

The dialogue was rough. Graphics okay. UI very cumbersome and ugly. Controls slightly odd. Gameplay ... okay.

I will pick it up on deep sale. I liked the fire barrier move and the game is unique. I won't be surprised if there's some genuine fun buried beneath multiple severe design flaws.
I thought the dialogue felt so off because of the story honestly. The main chick was teleported from modern New York to whatever fantasy world this is, and it just never came together. The forced "coolness" didn't help, but it seemed strange right from the start.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I thought the dialogue felt so off because of the story honestly. The main chick was teleported from modern New York to whatever fantasy world this is, and it just never came together. The forced "coolness" didn't help, but it seemed strange right from the start.
Big time. For sure. But it is in the middle of the game too. Sometimes a proper intro can help but I'm expecting a bad story.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I finished the demo just now.

It's too late now, but someone should have introduced the designers to inFAMOUS: Second Son. If they had taken the same approach to the pacing and design of combat while merely providing a simple, rapid way to cast various support spells, the game play would feel miles better. Because the combat plays very similarly, just worse.

As it is, the combat feels unfinished - too slow, too clunky, and requires too much input for little results. The combat in this game, in many ways, feels like some early pre-alpha ideas from inFAMOUS that would be later ironed out and improved vastly by release.

DavidGzz

I have absolutely no idea whats going on with the visuals here. Ive tried every setting and it still looks like dogshit.

Just look at how noisy, smudgy, and bright the foliage here is.
FjlhaP0WYAAxWPG

Now compare it to Horizon a last gen game.

FQBLTFmXEAs88l-

Fbvfis8WYAc4Ak8

Yeah, it's terrible. Hopefully they fix it before it's release but it's doubtful. Every trailer has looked that way and I was told it was YouTube not being able to keep up bitrate wise or some shit. No, it's the game and it's why I feel like enemy details are hard to make out or non existent so it all just blends together. It's current gen only and deserves the hell it's getting.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I have absolutely no idea whats going on with the visuals here. Ive tried every setting and it still looks like dogshit.

Just look at how noisy, smudgy, and bright the foliage here is.
FjlhaP0WYAAxWPG
Holy shit. That's crazy. It's so bad, its not even bright yellowy bloom effect you get in games. It's literally white space???

[Sigma]

Im not understanding I don't really see that much of a difference visually between the modes but yet the performance goes to shit. It's almost like it's bugged.

All of these visually are almost on par with each other but they're shit in performance out outside performance-focused and performance 120hz.

EDIT: Im getting more use to the controls and starting to have some fun with the combat but this is definitely not day one for me at this time.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As it is, the combat feels unfinished - too slow, too clunky, and requires too much input for little results. The combat in this game, in many ways, feels like some early pre-alpha ideas from inFAMOUS that would be later ironed out and improved vastly by release.
I'll never bother playing the demo, but interesting you say the combat is slow and clunky. I would had expected it to be fast paced like the videos where your character is zipping around the landscape at sprint speed.

Hestar69

Yeah the demo is...............kind fun? something feels off but I think i'll cancel my preorder and wait for a sale.70 is pricey and I have a feeling in 2-3 months after release it'll be 30

It's too late now, but someone should have introduced the designers to inFAMOUS: Second Son. If they had taken the same approach to the pacing and design of combat while merely providing a simple, rapid way to cast various support spells, the game play would feel miles better. Because the combat plays very similarly, just worse.

You have some valid points

RPS37

I think I read somewhere that there is an option to make the game lets you automatically use a spell that’s not on a cooldown in the options.

I read there are a few options that should’ve probably been default.

ByWatterson

The world is very inviting and beautiful and I actually kinda like the buddy cop dialogue.

But the combat. What....what is this? It's sloppy, overly clicky, the enemies are non-descript and spungy. It feels like a poor attempt to make a new Infamous game, without any understanding of how those games are supposed to feel.

And, on the L2 attacks, it's not clear what's about to happen any given time you press a button. It's just mashy and unresponsive.

Really bad.

GymWolf

Damn, you guys lowered my expectations I guess cause I think it's fun. This game seems totally dependant on your display and changing the settings. Performance mode looks like actual shit for a PS5 game. Worse than Dragons Dogma jaggies and texture quality. I changed it to resolution and it's a world of difference. The biggest gulf in visuals I've seen so far between performance and resolution modes. Anyway, I also put it on 120hz mode and it must run at around 40fps because I barely notice any difference in fps which is good cause 30 looks like shit on my OLED.

So once I get used to the spells and parkour, I think it will be fine. Also, I have it on toggle for the spell selection and turned off the quips so it's been great. No talking while I'm fighting.
The game on quality mode with a 120hz display run pretty great, i played for like 2 hours and didn't even tried the perf mode to see the difference.

It must be 40 or higher.

GymWolf

2 big things they could do to make it more fun. The parkour should be toggable(not a word I know), and the spells need to be more easily accessible. I shouldn't have to pull up that wheel when I want to go from ranged attacks to melee. I like the punch combo and the exploding spear but needing to use the wheel is a drag.

Also, enemies need to stand out more, besides the stags, I have no idea what shit looks like because everything blends together with whatever is happening with the textures and aliasing. I feel like because of the graphics issues and the controls, the PC version could be a lot better. Mod a different player model, a different way to select spells, and clean up the graphics and it could be ok.
You can literally put the parkour on toggle instead of hold and use the d-pad or the touchpad to change magic instead of going into menus.

Also, if you turn the option for the automatic change of magic when they are in cooldown you don't even have to change secondary magic because it already make you avaialbe the one that is not in charge, and honestly, i like to use the fire punch skill aswell and the cooldown is extremely fast, you don't really need to switch to other skills if you like to use that, or if the problem was that the game change skill for you then maybe you have the automatic magic change option already turned on so the game switch between the magic that is not in cooldown.

Also a little rant, and i'm not talking specifically about you dude, but reading this topic just show how much people lie when they say how much they love not being helped by the game and learning the mechanics alone and all that shit (elden ring coff coff) but when they have a game that don't explain almost anything to them they cry and can't even manage to look at the fucking options or control scheme to know how the game works.

It seems to me that people was ok with ER because the game isn't really new and it play 99% llike open world dark soul so they had very few stuff to learn...

Literally 50% (if not more) of the flaws people talk about in this topic can be fixed in the option or by having a 120hz panel (the last one is obviously not the player fault but still...)

Last edited:

tommib

The default font used throughout is pure ass. How about a more magical looking font? Anything but that, ugh.
Even worst than the font is the fish-eye effect on the UI. It’s the worst UI I’ve seen in my life. And I’ve played the Horizon games for a couple of hours.

Top Bottom