• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forspoken demo coming tonight on PSN

FingerBang

I thought it was meh at the beginning, then I realized it's just too much shit thrown at once, didn't properly get how the game works after finishing the 5 missions. Once I got it though, I think it's pretty fun.

Maybe not day one but deffo gonna play it.

Pretty sure that i'm not gonna like the demo if it is one of those demos where you have a shitload of stuff and none of it is properly explained and you are just there in the open world button mashing your way through without a proper introduction to the mechanics etc.
This is EXACTLY how I felt playing. Also the 120 hz mode on graphics feels really weird.

Zathalus

My TV reaches over 1100 nits
It looked like this when I booted it up
b5AYiYm.jpg
aAziNOe.jpg

I can still see spots.....😟
Yeah, when I first started the demo I got a text from my neighbor asking if Gondor was calling for aid.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I didnt care for this at all....like others, the demo was way too bright and everything felt slow to me. Was playing in ray tracing mode if that matters. Also hated the nonstop stupid dialogue during battles

Its not great but not as bad as i thought. Wayy too bright tgough, 60 fps mode too low res, also aiming certain spells is bad. Input lag issues too.

Pretty generous demo size though. Graphics are not bad in the 4k mode but what is with the lighting being so overexposed?

Doom85

On The Spot Jon Risinger GIF by Rooster Teeth

Nothing revolutionary, but I like the traversal and the combat worked well. I do prefer how the close range spells feel over the long range ones, but if there’s a good deal of learnable spells that I haven’t even touched, I’m sure there will be even more fun options in the main game.

Banned
so... the game's pretty shit isn't it?
it plays weirdly, the aiming isn't great, the graphics at times literally remind me of 360 graphics (the water of the river near the start looks worse than water in many MANY 360 titles), the raytraced effects are so insignificant that the inclusion of it is a waste of manpower and gpu resourced (thankfully you have a performance mode of course), and the whole magic system just feels clunky and unwieldy...

tldr: I don't feel it at all...

Last edited:

Madflavor

Good thing you used imo. So, imo, Ultima 7, Gothic, Gothic 2, Archolos, Enderal, Fallout 2, Fallout New Vegas, Witcher 3 and Kingdom Come all have much more interesting open worlds than either BOTW or Elden Ring, just to name a few.

Looking at your examples, I see why you think that way. There's more than one approach to Open World design, and you have a type. Which is fine.

Doom85

it absolutely is. can anyone think of an example of it in any game prior to 2015/2016?...

I mean, at least Frey isn’t an actual broken record. And really, having now played the demo, um, yeah I wasn’t annoyed by the talking. Nothing about this type of game makes me feel it needs to have a silent/mostly silent protagonist. A Soulsborne game, sure, but not this one.

the first time i saw the trailer for this game it looked interesting, even this latest one. comments say it's annoying, that battle video earlier in the thread with all her sound effects were funny... and obama's daughter lol. i hope this doesn't bomb though. but i think it will become meme material at this point:messenger_grinning_sweat:

nocsi

Just cancelled my preorder. The environments are somehow more hollow than even FF15 was. The game is actually way better with Japanese dub, but then some might find it weird seeing Obamas daughter speaking Japanese. Square enix themselves are bracing for this failing.

GogolPoe

Neo Member
I am troubled at how many of Squares recent games released seem underwhelming, I was looking forward to this game breaking the streak, but now I might have to hold off, watching some gameplay it looks undercooked, not ready for release (sparse content). Its like they released 5+rpgs in less than two quarters and none of them hit (generally speaking in terms of perception). I am sure FFXVI will be fine, but the rest of Square seems to be moving in reverse. And why are they releasing this so close to Hogwarts!?!? I've benn playing Square games since the PSX FF7/Tactics days... so I know theyve been through lulls before, but this seems to be the worst streak ive seen in a long time.

Hestar69

I mean, at least Frey isn’t an actual broken record. And really, having now played the demo, um, yeah I wasn’t annoyed by the talking. Nothing about this type of game makes me feel it needs to have a silent/mostly silent protagonist. A Soulsborne game, sure, but not this one.

I used to love the old xplay miss those times.

I am glad there was a demo as it shows publisher/developer confidence in their product but, while I really enjoyed the gameplay, i found it didn’t do a very good job of setting up the plot, who this person was, who it was who was talking to her and why she was doing these things at all. There was a brief intro FMV but the the demo drops you right into the gameplay as if a big chunk of the opening section has been stripped out. Also, that curved/warped menu looks very odd and makes certain things harder to read. There is no explanation for why it is like that and there is no way to turn it off either.

The worrying thing is that the deluxe edition of this game mentions a prequel story that, I believe, it says you can play early if you pre-order. I really hope the publishers are not locking out relevant story content to the most expensive edition because that would really suck.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Played the demo and found it fun. Nice gfx and fighting. Just a fun game overall. I just found the use of the F word a few times in my short time playing it very out of place, forced and unnecessary. Completely caught me off guard.

Quezacolt

I wonder why this is a nextgen only game. It doesnt look like one.
The world is so ugly and many times so empty. Looks bland.
The writing is cringe.
If the combat was amazing, i guess it could push me into being more interested, but no. It looks good, but that's it.
The character design is good, but then we have some anaimations during combat that honestly baffled me.
FjpljvNWAAEe6bz

What happened to her face there? She looks weird during most atacks, but holding the sword she doesnt even look like the same person.

Filben

Given the reaction here this game is probably gonna bomb hard. And then ignorant as fuck investors or leads gonna blame demos. Or anything but their own incompetence. We had this plenty of times in the past.

Did someone a voice over this? Sounds like a streamer trying to make the sounds of the protagonist. "yep.... yep". This is real bad.

Last edited:
I liked the demo and found the combat to be fast and fun. Kind of felt like Final Fantasy XV meets Elden Ring (I mean artistically that game is great but technically... not so much...) with a dash of Harry Potter for good measure. The only thing I have doubts about is the story because it was pretty much glossed over in this demo in favour of showcasing the gameplay, which is fine, but it left me confused at times as to what was going on and why. I don't think I will be pre-ordering - that's never a good idea these days anyway - but I am definitely interested and will wait on the reviews first before deciding whether to buy it or not (and likely for PC rather than PS5).

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

GymWolf

This is EXACTLY how I felt playing. Also the 120 hz mode on graphics feels really weird.
Really? i think that this is the first game where i'm okay with the 40hz (but feels higher) mode in a console game.

I think the game just feels jerky and unprecise until you get the hang of the soft lock, hard lock, how the camera "think" and the whole combat system, it request some adaptment but in end it play like an infamous\light souls game, i have like 4h 30 min on the demo and still getting the hang of it, but the fact that i'm improving every time i play it (you can save and load in the demo) make me feel good about the game (to me it felt already good since the beginning tbh)
It surely is a flawed game, i 'm not gonna hide this fact just because i like the combat.
Also, and i can't stress this enough, changing the 5-6 setting i posted on page 3 make the game sensibly better.

perf mode is a smeared piece of shit on my c1.

Didn't even tried rtx mode since it looks like it's only partial rtx shadows, and who gives a fuck about shadows? :lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:

GymWolf

Ugliest atmosphere ever made but then again gaf likes any kind of garbage. It'll do fine in sales most gamers have no tastes anyway, its why we get generic crap more so than before.
I think nobody in this topic has ever spoke positevely about the atmosphere, story, writing, bland world etc, like literally no one.

Infamous with magic powers is hardly a generic concept you see everyday unless you can name 10 games similar to this concept from the past 5 years, i'm waiting because i really want to play them, and no, indies with a magic system are not the same thing and are not a valid option (also i probably played all of them already except magicka)

The bad stuff was already bad since the first trailer and we all saw this coming from since forever, the hook of this game is how much fun you can have with combat\traversal\progression.

Last edited:
Infamous with magic powers is hardly a generic concept you see everyday

Gameplay is fine. Im just talking about the rest. No one cares about level design anymore. Look at Sonic Frontiers as well. Now thats another ugly ass pos, no love at all in the level/atmosphere yet Sonic fans just like Pokemon fans eat up any dog poo. It's at overwhelmingly positive on steam. Ridiculous. So I expect Forspoken to do well since flashy gameplay is all that anyone cares.

HoofHearted

Finally had a chance to download the demo as I was actually looking forward and thinking about getting this game after seeing the game announcement trailer earlier…

Holy crap - you’d think in this day and age of gaming that basic character control is fairly straightforward and easy to implement ..

Graphics - meh, sparse world, horrible control mechanics - and what the HELL is going on with the dialogue?

It‘s like Beavis and Butthead wrote the script here … “Fuck, shit, fuck fuck fuck… “

Seriously? How does this kind of crap pass QA?

GymWolf

Gameplay is fine. Im just talking about the rest. No one cares about level design anymore. Look at Sonic Frontiers as well. Now thats another ugly ass pos, no love at all in the level/atmosphere yet Sonic fans just like Pokemon fans eat up any dog poo. It's at overwhelmingly positive on steam. Ridiculous. So I expect Forspoken to do well since flashy gameplay is all that anyone cares.
I think it's gonna bomb hard :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

The dialogue are cringe personified.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The writing is cringe.
If the combat was amazing, i guess it could push me into being more interested, but no. It looks good, but that's it.
The character design is good, but then we have some anaimations during combat that honestly baffled me.
FjpljvNWAAEe6bz

What happened to her face there? She looks weird during most atacks, but holding the sword she doesnt even look like the same person.

It looks so shit. The ps5 can do so much better than this.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The writing is cringe.
FjpljvNWAAEe6bz

Is this some modded Skyrim on Xbox One?

Aaron Olive

Really? i think that this is the first game where i'm okay with the 40hz (but feels higher) mode in a console game.

I think the game just feels jerky and unprecise until you get the hang of the soft lock, hard lock, how the camera "think" and the whole combat system, it request some adaptment but in end it play like an infamous\light souls game, i have like 4h 30 min on the demo and still getting the hang of it, but the fact that i'm improving every time i play it (you can save and load in the demo) make me feel good about the game (to me it felt already good since the beginning tbh)
It surely is a flawed game, i 'm not gonna hide this fact just because i like the combat.
Also, and i can't stress this enough, changing the 5-6 setting i posted on page 3 make the game sensibly better.

perf mode is a smeared piece of shit on my c1.

Didn't even tried rtx mode since it looks like it's only partial rtx shadows, and who gives a fuck about shadows? :lollipop_squinting:
Yeah it’s a mess and like you said you’re putting quite the effort to acclimate to it and that’s where the problem lies. In entertainment if it doesn’t click fast enough in the first 10 minutes then it’s a failure and that goes for all mediums.

Movies have pre screeners
Music has pre listens demo sessions
Gaming has player engagement sessions “usually” not all of them do this correctly and consistently which consequently makes certain projects massive failures.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
z6mQTna.jpg

The lead character is clearly pondering deep existential questions after vanquishing foes: Why am I here? What is the meaning of all this? Why am I overtaken by this sense of quiet despair? Why is it that during the fight I couldn't stop chattering but now I feel absolutely nothing?

Last edited:
When this game was first revealed I was impressed but had a weird feeling. When it was revealed this was launching the same year as FFXVI, I was confused. Now, between the January release date and the demo, I understand completely. 2023 is absolutely stacked and not even it’s biggest fans are going to be talking about this game after February.

The writing is cringe.
FjpljvNWAAEe6bz

There are no loadings and no stutters while traversing the world. Unfortunately the game itself is not so great. Again SE are doing a game aimed at adults featuring a super "cool" teenager. They did the same mistake with FF15.

Top Bottom