• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forspoken - Official 4 Minute Gameplay Trailer

Deerock71

You're saying it all wrong!
I Have Spoken GIF by IMDb

Varteras

Gold Member
I keep hoping they show something about this game that makes me want to play it but every time I just find myself less interested than when I started.

I thought we were past the 7th generation "Appeal to the West" mentality that almost destroyed the Japanese games industry? How many times does Square Enix need to learn this lesson?
I doubt they will ever learn unfortunately. Same applies to most other Japanese companies. Seems like practically all developers cater to the West even if it means potentially damaging their game.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
You edited your post after I posted.
The post you originally quoted was of me talking to a completely different poster.
So i didnt know what the fuck you were talking about.

Call me an idiot if need be, but please spell it out to me like im 5 what exactly is so woke about this game?
I would be willing a do a ban bet it is.

edit: sorry for so many posts.

Last edited:

NikuNashi

Jesus Christ I wish we could go back to the days of the bolded. Now it's just a dog whistle for people to say things about "certain people" in entertainment without looking obviously racist and sexist.

Anyone who uses the term 'dog whistle' is usually in my experience a far left nut. I can dislike this black female protagonist for many reasons, opinions are allowed. You equating that to racism is projection and bestows your true nature.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It looks like The Bouncer.

A (relatively) low investment of a game that's purpose is to build tech used for AAA projects.

Kumomeme

the icon marker floating on screen kind remind me of Assasins Creed. hopefully it not bloated like that game.

not fan of how combat basically pew pew from distant. seems also like combat basically spam attack into the crowd with no tatics? kind remind me of FF15. hopefully there is variety of approach available. stealth, close combat spells, something utilize weather. what we see here might be a higher level character.

the dialogue is cringe.

can see BOTW influence there. the chestbox guarded by group/crowd of enemies . hopefully enemies variety not repetitive.

well, it just 4 minute gameplay. need to see more.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Nah, I rather prefer leaving you hanging, triggered.

Since I'm having such a kick out of you singling me out, why don't you explain how I'm deflecting, when from my point of view I'm only pointing out your fallacies.
You havent once explained how the game is woke.
When asked your first response was that it was a strawman argument.....but im not making an argument im asking you what is woke about the game.

The second time I asked you to clarify.
You told me I was jumping to conclusions....im not jumping to any conclusion im asking you what is woke about the game.

The third time I asked you to clarify.
I got this response.

And yet you want me to explain how you are deflecting?

I thought we were past the 7th generation "Appeal to the West" mentality that almost destroyed the Japanese games industry? How many times does Square Enix need to learn this lesson?
Square Enix isn't really a Japanese company anymore. The original Japanese arm of the company still produces Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, but pretty much everything else is now made by Western studios acquired when SE bought out the assets of Eidos Interactive and renamed it Square Enix Europe. This title has nothing to do with the Japanese ownership other than I guess profits will be reported as part of the overall company.

Black_Stride

Anyone who uses the term 'dog whistle' is usually in my experience a far left nut. I can dislike this black female protagonist for many reasons, opinions are allowed. You equating that to racism is projection and bestows your true nature.
I think you missed the point.
Indeed you are allowed to dislike a game or protagonist regardless of race or gender.
There are many people in this very thread who have outright explained:
They dislike her because she wont shut the fuck up.....thats a valid complaint.
The world is kinda drab....valid complaint.
The magic looks kinda overwhelming.....excuse me what?
The enemy AI seems dumb.....valid complaint.

However the issue is "it seems" people are hiding their intent behind simply saying well I dont like this game because its woke....without explaining what exactly they mean.
We are left to extrapolate their meaning from that one word....woke.
And when asked to clarify what they mean by woke they get defensive......you cant say that its not telling.

I think this game will be fun. I don’t think it will be some 90+ Killer but i see a fun game to hop around in and blow shit up with magika. It looks like the rpg version of prototype

Black_Stride

Well I'm not them, but if I were to guess it's because it's a trend nowadays to cast a woman or a black person as the lead character in movies and games.

The issue probably doesn't come with the fact that it's a woman, or because it's a black person or anything like that.
I believe it's because corporations don't care at all about what they preach. If being racist became a trend tomorrow, those same corporations would switch sides instantly if it meant more profits.

Before all this became a trend, Square-Enix wouldn't even bother casting a minority as a lead. And now suddenly they're being "brave" and "stunning" just because there's money and social credit to be earned.

I never really cared whether the lead character of any game was male or female, black or white just to make things clear.
But nowadays almost every developer under the sun is trying way too hard to get ahead in the "woke Olympics" and doing everything SJWs ask for.

And when a developer tries to go against that and do the game they want to make, they get cancelled.
Just look at what happened with Kingdom Come Deliverance developers. If the lead dev didn't had a HUGE pair of balls, they would be forced to do the opposite of what they envisioned for their project.

Corporations are just too afraid of backlash because they want to avoid any bad press they can so that it doesn't affect sales.
Which results in them also being afraid to go against whatever is trending at the moment, which risks killing diversity in the industry.

Ohh im not accusing you of anything.
I was simply pointing out that the whole "this game is woke" sans explanation how or why said game is woke is suspect.

The majority of developer and publishers are still following their own visions.
Minority characters are still minority characters.
Returnal wasnt woke because it was an older woman lead....would that story have the same impact with a different protagonist....probably not. It would still have impact, but theres a special bond between a mother and her chideren that would be harder to tell with a male lead....its possible heck we got the Last of Us didnt we?

If you look at games that came out this year....can you really say theres been some huge switch towards "wokeness" the only reason people are noticing these minority characters is literally because they are minority characters.

You say nowadays almost every developer is getting ahead in the woke olympics....from this years releases can you name these developers and examples of their sudden wokeness?

JoeBudden

The issue probably doesn't come with the fact that it's a woman, or because it's a black person or anything like that.
I believe it's because corporations don't care at all about what they preach. If being racist became a trend tomorrow, those same corporations would switch sides instantly if it meant more profits.

We both know that's bullshit lol.

It's exactly because she's a woman and she's black. Replace her with a metrosexual anime cross dressing dude and no one would be complaining in this thread about her character design.

We can pretend it's because we think corporations aren't genuine with their intentions, but that's nothing new. Corporations have always been focused on profits. Why else would an American company like Microsoft be concerned with the Japanese market, and vice versa with Sony and Nintendo.

Not attacking you, I just see that reason thrown around a lot.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
At least, animation are good and clothes physics is impressive. Combat system is not bad actually.

The problem is it looks like the same empty open world, even the town looks something from the first Assassin's Creed.

After The Witcher 3, developers should know how to fill an open world.

Orpheum

The game looks worse with each showing. Not just from a technical standpoint but also the design aspects. Worse and worse color pallet, terrible enemy encounters, that stupid effect on the protagonists model while traversing the world. Are square enix themselves even enthusiastic about this game because so far each showing has solidified my decision to not pick this up

Black_Stride

Where is this lush environment......or the forest they showed us with the bear where she was tree to tree hoping.
Thats the shit we need to see.

This was a poor showing because this environment really is drab.
I still think the gameplay will be fun....alot of magic which can be combo'd together, cool traversal.....just give me a world to enjoy all this in and im all good.
Give us the PC specs so I know whether to cry or celebrate.
XPWisWU.gif

Aaron Olive

At least, animation are good and clothes physics is impressive. Combat system is not bad actually.

The problem is it looks like the same empty open world, even the town looks something from the first Assassin's Creed.

After The Witcher 3, developers should know how to fill an open world.
With fun activities and rewards like Fable….🤔

fermcr

Not impressed for what I've seen so far... game looks average at best.

80€ for this on PC?... LOL.

Last edited:
If you want to know if a game with a female protagonist is woke or not then just see if she have sexy outfits or if all the outfits in the game are covering her from head to toe, also see if the other women in the game are sexy or if they are ugly and covered up, if its the latter then the game definitely have a woke agenda. This rule works every time.

Lupin25

My issue with this gameplay is how it was

Presented.

Traversal looks more exciting, reminiscent of the Spider-Man games.
However, it seems this game has still fallen to most open-world tropes.

They’re massive for no reason at ALL and fetch quests in-between are typically meaningless. Enemies roam, but after you’ve finished the game’s progression you routinely ignore them lol.

Developers need to innovate more ways to design open-world games, which better justify their enormity.

This is obvious, but that’s why The Witcher III was so highly regarded. It made sense as an open-world, because they actually made USE of it with great side quests, many fleshed out characters, and meaningful things to explore.

To be honest, I thought after its success most developers would fellow this route, but even CDPR themselves fell victim to a lack of innovation and open-world fatigue with CP2077.

With FORSPOKEN, they’ve could’ve at LEAST shown a few good missions or boss fights to demonstrate the combat at its best.

This just felt messy and inorganic, with no direction. FPS tanked, as well, but they have another 7 months to clean up performance and we know Sony doesn’t want to sully their brand with that, even though Square-Enix is developing.

I hate watching gameplay like this, though, because it’s a poor representation of the best parts of the entire game.

Nonetheless, while I believe the graphics, the magic/traversal mechanics, haptics, will probably end up top notch, the narrative has been MASSIVELY undersold, as most of us have yet to see the appeal or charisma in this enigmatic storyline.

Judging from this gameplay bit, the open-world is scattered with some NPC’s (I “think” I seen some optional quests?), but outside of the cityscape, the open-world is mostly barren, scattered with enemies/encampments, but not much else… seems Square-Enix has no desire yet to use next-gen power to further implement better game design either.

Last edited:
If you want to know if a game with a female protagonist is woke or not then just see if she have sexy outfits or if all the outfits in the game are covering her from head to toe, also see if the other women in the game are sexy or if they are ugly and covered up, if its the latter then the game definitely have a woke agenda. This rule works every time.

Good lord you need help

Haggard

Banned
so just recreating "Normal" is woke now? Because it`s been a while since I ran into herds of bikini models in the real world.....

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
What kind of bullshit is this? I’m so disappointed. I hope they will optimize the game and remove that crappy voice over when fighting. She talks too much trash. “Fuck off” while casting a spell? Seriously?

Amazing, someone somewhere at Sony said " This looks incredible,let's pay a few million to make it exclusive." 🤣

Grunting after every 2 steps holy shit...

Last edited:
so just recreating "Normal" is woke now? Because it`s been a while since I ran into herds of bikini models in the real world.....
Sexy outfits dosn't mean only bikini outfits and a lot of new realistic games have them, i'm playing these days a great fps game called
Bright Memory: Infinite

but since the devs don't have a woke agenda they included these outfits just for fun

ss-c97d1b1d5d1333aa8317720d248b980f5efa2efe-1920x1080.jpg

ss-4aae0730913c08b45fb33aa905088c72359e8b28-600x338.jpg

Now if you see these outfits and gets angry and start insulting people like the dude below...

Here ya go

8o4sFrE.png

That means that yes you have a woke agenda for getting upset for the mere mention of the thought of including similar outfit in a game.

Last edited:
Sexy outfits dosn't mean only bikini outfits and a lot of new games have them, i'm playing these days a great fps game called
Bright Memory: Infinite

but since the devs don't have a woke agenda they included these outfits just for fun

ss-c97d1b1d5d1333aa8317720d248b980f5efa2efe-1920x1080.jpg

ss-4aae0730913c08b45fb33aa905088c72359e8b28-600x338.jpg

Now if you see these outfits and gets angry and start insulting people like the dude below...

That means that yes you have a woke agenda for getting upset for the mere mention of the thought of including similar outfit in a game.

Why am I not suprised your idea of non-woke is just big tittied anime girls and skimpy outfits

Top Bottom