• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forspoken will also arrive on Xbox Series X | S, but after January 23, 2025

clarky

Gold Member
I mean, if it sells well, i see sony extending the exclusivity/contract, or just outright investing in the studio by then.

..and lol at the typical xbox fanboys saying “we didn’t want it anyway” knowing damn well they would be geeking if this was on gamepass. The same people that go crazy over things like The Medium and Scorn are suddenly too good for a AAA action game from square enix
I dont see anyone going crazy over those games.

This looks anything but 'AAA' . The reason people are apathetic towards this game is because it looks shit, not because it not coming to xbox any time soon. You dont see these imaginary people saying they didnt want FF.

Odd game to lock up 2 year exclusivity for imo. Maybe its the best thing since sliced bread but it doubt it. The protagonist is already annoying as fuck and ive only watched a couple of previews.

Ps5/xbox/pc/switch owner for reference.

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

Right because graphics are the ONLY thing that matters...

Also BOTW is barren as fuck yet no one complains about it when nintendo does it.
The difference is art direction. Zelda BotW's populous areas are much more livelier and the buildings don't stuck out like a sore thumb due to inconsistent graphical fidelity. From what I see, the open areas lack wildlife and other elements that make the world feel like it is alive. Zelda BotW has physics, weather, wildlife, and NPC walking around with their own routines.

It also doesn't help that people's expectations are adjusted due to Zelda BotW being on Switch hardware. Forspoken is being made for PS5 hardware and some of the buildings looks straight from a PS3 game.

That isn't to say the game will be bad, but there is a reason people are pointing at Forspoken. People also pointed out Zelda Botw's open world for being barren.

Chukhopops

Taking notes of people attempting to shill this game, looking forward to their day 1 purchase and contribution in the upcoming OT.

Let’s see who will really buy this game when the time comes.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I have no horse in this race, but any publisher that collects a check to keep their game off my platform for two years, can forget me buying it afterwards.

At least not until it’s at a very deep discount.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Had no idea this was exclusive to Playstation.

Seems like it'd do better on XBOX. Really curious to see how this game will turn out in terms of scores and sales.

Topher

Gold Member
Taking notes of people attempting to shill this game, looking forward to their day 1 purchase and contribution in the upcoming OT.

People being interested in a game doesn't amount to being a "shill". You really have nothing better to do than stalk others talking about this game months before it releases?

Isn't that how Elden Ring looks like, though?
Elden Ring has some technical issues yes and a bit of weird lookin stuff here or there. However, it has the best art direction in any game to date since Bloodborne. There are some amazing looking vistas and a great sense of scale. From Software does need a new engine though and better tech people, its their biggest flaw.

Elden Ring's open world makes sense and well laid out. It's not just open barren spaces for the sake or it. The engine is limiting due to being a cross gen game but From Software still manages to make other open world titles look like hot garbage thanks to their level design and art direction.

If you going to tell me this looks bad in some shape or form then I can't help you sorry.

6I1oDhm.jpg
1xYFB7B.jpg

The difference is art direction. Zelda BotW's populous areas are much more livelier and the buildings don't stuck out like a sore thumb due to inconsistent graphical fidelity. From what I see, the open areas lack wildlife and other elements that make the world feel like it is alive. Zelda BotW has physics, weather, wildlife, and NPC walking around with their own routines.

It also doesn't help that people's expectations are adjusted due to Zelda BotW being on Switch hardware. Forspoken is being made for PS5 hardware and some of the buildings looks straight from a PS3 game.

That isn't to say the game will be bad, but there is a reason people are pointing at Forspoken. People also pointed out Zelda Botw's open world for being barren.

So art direction/graphics excuses the same supposedly(and I say supposedly because the exploration deep dive is being shown in two days) "empty" world even though art direction has nothing to do with game design??

> the buildings don't stuck out like a sore thumb due to inconsistent graphical fidelity

Yes some of the textures look rough. So? Graphics aren't everything. That and the "empty world" are the only complaints people can come up with. It is 60fps at least which i'll take any day over 30fps eye candy.

>From what I see, the open areas lack wildlife and other elements that make the world feel like it is alive.

The animals are corrupted by the break so it would be impossible for them to implement wildlife. You fight the wildlife. They are the enemies in this game.

There are other things that you can do in the open world like finding hideouts, collecting mana, clearing break/corruption points and as i've said many times before ITT, we are going to see more in the exploration deep dive. People need to just wait until that is shown before judging the "emptiness" of the world.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

People being interested in a game doesn't amount to being a "shill". You really have nothing better to do than stalk others talking about this game months before it releases?
Bookmarking 4 posts != stalking

I’m sure there’ll be nothing to post later since they will all buy this fantastic AAA action game day 1.

“Oh wow this game looks interesting, i like the combat and traversal a lot, will def be picking this up”

“Lol take a look at these absolute shills, I’d really like to hold their feet to the fire when it comes to release day, fucking phonies”

Why in gods name would anyone feel the need to lie about their interest in a video game 😂

Last edited:

NickFire

Why in gods name would anyone feel the need to lie about their interest in a video game 😂
Lying may be a strong accusation. But there definitely seems to be increased enthusiasm for games when they get labeled as exclusive or available on subscription. And some of that increased enthusiasm seems strange at times.

Swift_Star

Banned
Elden Ring has some technical issues yes and a bit of weird lookin stuff here or there. However, it has the best art direction in any game to date since Bloodborne. There are some amazing looking vistas and a great sense of scale. From Software does need a new engine though and better tech people, its their biggest flaw.

Elden Ring's open world makes sense and well laid out. It's not just open barren spaces for the sake or it. The engine is limiting due to being a cross gen game but From Software still manages to make other open world titles look like hot garbage thanks to their level design and art direction.

If you going to tell me this looks bad in some shape or form then I can't help you sorry.

6I1oDhm.jpg
1xYFB7B.jpg
It still looks like an ugly empty game.

Lying may be a strong accusation. But there definitely seems to be increased enthusiasm for games when they get labeled as exclusive or available on subscription. And some of that increased enthusiasm seems strange at times.

Its also no mystery why a group of people that don’t have access to the games are the ones most vocally bad mouthing it in every thread

MadPanda

Banned
Your point? You wanted MS to use this for the CMA. Are you comparing buying a giant 3rd party publisher and studios to 3rd party timed exclusivity deal???
No, I'm not as that's not comparable. I'm saying that Sony says Microsoft wants to foreclose them with ABK while Sony does exactly that with these deals. That's my point.

Roxkis_ii

I don't see this game coming out for the Xbox.
Probably due to a lack of interest. (As we can see from this thread)

I imagine the accountants at square made a guess about how many copies they could sell on Xbox plus the effort to port to two skus and probably just took a check from Sony.

Saves dev time, plus a guaranteed sum of money. Why not.

John Wick

No, I'm not as that's not comparable. I'm saying that Sony says Microsoft wants to foreclose them with ABK while Sony does exactly that with these deals. That's my point.
It's not the same at all. Exclusive games were a thing back with Snes and Megadrive. This way MS have the same ability to get an exclusive be it timed. With MS buying ABK it takes 3rd party games away from other platforms including Sony and Nintendo. So no Sony aren't doing the same.

John Wick

Who's Shilling it? It's pathetic some of the comments from the warriors on here. Game isn't even out yet but some people have magically played the game and already have a definite opinion on it. A game in development looks rough around the edges? Wow!

MadPanda

Banned
It's not the same at all. Exclusive games were a thing back with Snes and Megadrive. This way MS have the same ability to get an exclusive be it timed. With MS buying ABK it takes 3rd party games away from other platforms including Sony and Nintendo. So no Sony aren't doing the same.
Which games does Microsoft takes away? You're talking about taking 3rd party games away but isn't that exactly what Sony did with FF7 remake?

OuterLimits

If I was an exclusive Xbox gamer, I would be annoyed that FF7 remake perhaps isn't coming or that Tactics Ogre is releasing on every system but Xbox.

Sony wasting money on Forspoken though seems bizarre to me. The odds of this game becoming a massive flop and ending up on PS+ within a year is quite high.

Chukhopops

Who's Shilling it? It's pathetic some of the comments from the warriors on here. Game isn't even out yet but some people have magically played the game and already have a definite opinion on it. A game in development looks rough around the edges? Wow!
So it’s no longer possible to have an opinion based on previews and videos published?

Isn’t that the entire point of previews to begin with?

OsirisBlack

Banned
I just hope the game is good. Looks amazing graphically despite what some people here are saying. I want the game to be amazing just to see the "Chaos".

Reactions: Isa
So it’s no longer possible to have an opinion based on previews and videos published?

Isn’t that the entire point of previews to begin with?

That's perfectly fine. But there are some that have 100% made it up in their minds to hate this game regardless as to what is shown and are doing their damnedest to troll every thread about it with the same comments over and over.......looking for arguments. Then you have some people that pop up and say the dumbest thing they can think of (or smartest...take your pick) and wait for the blowback.....

Example.....
Doesn't matter - the game looks like hot mobile trash anyways with empty cities and ugly character faces.

I just hope the game is good. Looks amazing graphically despite what some people here are saying. I want the game to be amazing just to see the "Chaos".

There will not be chaos. There will be silence.

Last edited:

nocsi

They messed up the marketing on this. Forespoken supposed to be the best of Japanese gameplay mixed with western storytelling, and it was a global effort to make this all come together.

Just the gameplay itself, the game engine is the fully realized form of FF15’s battle system without concessions. If FF15 is 2d, then forspoken is 3d and adds the depth that’s missing. It’s taking the mobility of Noctis’ warp strike, tuning it to 11 and throwing Avatar-esque elemental spell casting into the mix. In that aspect, it looks better than even Harry Potter, wherein the characters look stationary when casting.

The Western contributions on this come in the form of the story conceived by Gary Whitta plus music by God of War/Bioshock composer. But these things aren’t reflected in the marketing since very little of the story is shown.

The game kinda represents Square Enix’s new initiative in growing a global audience and we’ll see if it makes sense if these Japanese/West collaborative projects are viable. i have it preordered since I believe this is going to be Square-Enix’s last game before Sony acquires them lol.

Last edited:
They messed up the marketing on this. Forespoken supposed to be the best of Japanese gameplay mixed with western storytelling, and it was a global effort to make this all come together.

Just the gameplay itself, the game engine is the fully realized form of FF15’s battle system without concessions. If FF15 is 2d, then forspoken is 3d and adds the depth that’s missing. It’s taking the mobility of Noctis’ warp strike, tuning it to 11 and throwing Avatar-esque elemental spell casting into the mix. In that aspect, it looks better than even Harry Potter, wherein the characters look stationary when casting.

The Western contributions on this come in the form of the story conceived by Gary Whitta plus music by God of War/Bioshock composer. But these things aren’t reflected in the marketing since very little of the story is shown.

The game kinda represents Square Enix’s new initiative in growing a global audience and we’ll see if it makes sense if these Japanese/West collaborative projects are viable. i have it preordered since I believe this is going to be Square-Enix’s last game before Sony acquires them lol.

I'd be a good fit, but I'm pretty sure they aren't getting acquired based on SE's comment in the latest (and previous) financial statements. I do think so will attempt to buy stakes though.

OsirisBlack

Banned
That's perfectly fine. But there are some that have 100% made it up in their minds to hate this game regardless as to what is shown and are doing their damnedest to troll every thread about it with the same comments over and over.......looking for arguments. Then you have some people that pop up and say the dumbest thing they can think of (or smartest...take your pick) and wait for the blowback.....

Example.....

There will not be chaos. There will be silence.
Here is to hoping you actually understood my comment. You can never be sure on the internet.

I can't wait any fucking longer. I need to inject this game in my veins right now. Haven't been this hyped since Devil May Cry 5 back in 2018/2019.

GymWolf

Exactly. Since Square sold their only 2 studios I give a shit about I would be quite happy if none of their weeb games ever come to Xbox. Now if Sony starts moneyhatting the games from the studios Embracer bought that would really piss me off.
You don't like ff16?

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
You don't like ff16?
I absolutely loathe all JRPGs. I tried Persona 5 on game Pass since everyone raves about. Hated it. Hate the art, the horrible voice acting and incredibly stupid dialogue, the dumb-looking characters. I just can't see what others love about Japanese games. To each his own, we all like different things, but personally, I can't name one Japanese game I actually like outside of BotW. Consequently, I have zero interest in any Final Fantasy games, or anything published by S/E now that they only make weeb games.

GymWolf

I absolutely loathe all JRPGs. I tried Persona 5 on game Pass since everyone raves about. Hated it. Hate the art, the horrible voice acting and incredibly stupid dialogue, the dumb-looking characters. I just can't see what others love about Japanese games. To each his own, we all like different things, but personally, I can't name one Japanese game I actually like outside of BotW. Consequently, I have zero interest in any Final Fantasy games, or anything published by S/E now that they only make weeb games.
This one looks more like a dmc with rpg elements, take a look at some gameplay.

Even the tone seems less weeb.

John Wick

Which games does Microsoft takes away? You're talking about taking 3rd party games away but isn't that exactly what Sony did with FF7 remake?
No! Why do you blame Sony? FF7 Remake is owned by Square Enix. They ultimately decide the fate of the game. Also Xbox had every chance of making a deal themselves but didn't.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This thread has more attention than this game is ever going to get.

I may pick it up cheap to zoom around with the traversal but it screams launch game that somehow got dragged out with delays by 2 years to me.

Barakov

Gold Member

Forspoken--1140x815.jpg

In addition to confirming how long Final Fantasy 16 will remain an exclusive PlayStation 5, a recent trailer released by Sony also provides important details regarding Forspoken .

During the trailer entitled Play Like Never Before , the Japanese giant has inserted a specific wording that accompanies the short game sequences taken from Forspoken. According to what is written on the screen, Forspoken will be an exclusive PC and PlayStation 5 for quite some time: it will in fact be possible to play the Square Enix title on the two platforms in the period between January 24, 2023 and January 23, 2025.

forspoken_notizia-1536x796.jpg
Don't know why Sony did this when they could've locked up FFXVI for nearly two years. It would've been the better move, imo.

Top Bottom