• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport |OT| Step on the GaaS

djjinx2

Remember it's a service game, look how far sea of thieves came from it's bare bones beginning...
If someone comes to play this foe the first time in a year, its a guaranteed 9/10.

Even now its my favourite racer since Driveclub, single player needs variety though as this doesn't have the hook of clubs like DC did, as much as I find the MP really fun I wish there was something more to grind for!!

clarky

Gold Member
It would be such an easy fix. They know if you've played previous Forza games, they have your Gamertag all the history. Just give us options to "skip tutorials", for fucks sake.

Anyway, this game in its current state deserves 6, maybe 5 out of 10 but damn it's the best 5/10 game I've played in a long time. Racing is so good.
Can't really argue with that.

Id rate it higher say an 7 or 7.5 due to the phenomenonal online racing (when it works) myself, but id also understand lower. The rest of the game is either broken or missing big chunks of what youd expect from a mainline Forza title.

Edge are going to rip this to bits i predict a 5 or 6 from them also.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Can't really argue with that.

Id rate it higher say an 7 or 7.5 due to the phenomenonal online racing (when it works) myself, but id also understand lower. The rest of the game is either broken or missing big chunks of what youd expect from a mainline Forza title.

Edge are going to rip this to bits i predict a 5 or 6 from them also.

After 7 games Forza is a lot of different things for different people. I want a car collecting game with substantial single player campaign and freedom to build and customise cars. And sadly this new entry is not providing that.

nemiroff

Gold Member
don't understand all the hate for this game, took a while to grow on me and now after playing for a while it clicked with me.

I've been very harsh on the game and the unskippable yapping introductions/tutorials didn't help, it made me aggravated for a while.
But yeah I kinda agree with you now that I've played it for a few hours.

To me it's clearly one of, if not THE best controller controlled racers out there, and the racing itself it's excellent.

But aside of that there's also a few things that feels rushed. The code doesn't feel polished, the UI/UX, the content, direction, it still feels kinda unfinished to me.

djjinx2

I've been very harsh on the game and the unskippable yapping introductions/tutorials didn't help, it made me aggravated for a while.

To me it's clearly one of, if not THE best controller controlled racers out there, and the racing itself it's excellent.

But aside of that there's also a few things that feels rushed. The code doesn't feel polished, the UI/UX, the content, direction, it still feels kinda unfinished to me.
My thoughts exactly, it's hard to see it as it is when there is so much hate on here as its mostly a PlayStation forum, just look how many replies the VS. GT thread has and that should tell you everything

Last edited:

djjinx2

My thoughts exactly, it's hard to see it as it is when there is so much hate on here as its mostly a PlayStation forum, just look how many replies the vs GT thread has and that should tell you

clarky

Gold Member
After 7 games Forza is a lot of different things for different people. I want a car collecting game with substantial single player campaign and freedom to build and customise cars. And sadly this new entry is not providing that.
Yes. For me this games loop should be= See online cup coming up----> Buy car----> take it through several series in the career to level up/find set up that suits-->> test online---> race proper online. Rinse /repeat.

The career has been hacked to bits or simply not built yet. For me that's the biggest let down. The driving , on a pad at least is best in class no doubt & It performs ok on my pc now, baring a couple of crashes per session touch wood.

They'll get there, I hope. Game needed another 6 months in the oven.

Last edited:

CeeJay

Im happy that your happy with mediocrity. Objectively the most lacking Forza launch of them all.

Multiplayer is excellent, absolutely saves the package from being a total disaster. I'm also a PC gamepass subscriber btw, doesn't mean i have to be happy with a lackluster product. Demand better.
I'm here for the racing against real people and in that regard it delivers. So fucking what if it doesn't have car bowling and a boring bloated career that takes forever to compete against dumb ai. I'm happy that I can level up my cars and earn all the credits I need purely from the multiplayer just like it should be. Sure it's a bit bare bones and a bit buggy but the wheel to wheel racing is the best its ever been and it's only going to get better.

clarky

Gold Member
I'm here for the racing against real people and in that regard it delivers. So fucking what if it doesn't have car bowling and a boring bloated career that takes forever to compete against dumb ai. I'm happy that I can level up my cars and earn all the credits I need purely from the multiplayer just like it should be. Sure it's a bit bare bones and a bit buggy but the wheel to wheel racing is the best its ever been and it's only going to get better.

Who the fuck mentioned bowling? Calm your tits. Some of us just wanted what was advertised before launch.

This was never marketed as xbox's GT Sport. If it was i wouldn't have any issue with whats on offer.

Last edited:

CeeJay

Who the fuck mentioned bowling? Calm your tits. Some of us just wanted what was advertised before launch.

This was never marketed as xbox's GT Sport. If it was i wouldn't have any issue with whats on offer.
Those shitty bowling events still cut deep with me 😂

Seriously though what was advertised that isn't there? Genuine question, I didn't really follow any of the previews or the buildup to launch.

CeeJay

Yeah I can see that if you're looking for those things in forza motorsport then this iteration of the game is very lacking. 😕

I've played a few hours and overall, it's disappointing.

-The career mode completely sucks.
-AI is dumb as shit.
-Everything I've driven feels like it is lacking front end grip. This could be due in part to not upgrading my cars, but not everything should feel this way by default.
-In comparison to GT7, the races actually have grid starts, so it's got that going for it, which is nice.

It's a bummer because I was really looking forward to this game after being let down by GT7. From many accounts it seems the online multiplayer is good, but I don't really have much interest in that for a console game.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yeah I can see that if you're looking for those things in forza motorsport then this iteration of the game is very lacking. 😕
It's literally designed as the opposite of that at every step. Probably because Forza Horizon fills that role nowadays.

DanielG165

Im happy that your happy with mediocrity. Objectively the most lacking Forza launch of them all.

Multiplayer is excellent, absolutely saves the package from being a total disaster. I'm also a PC gamepass subscriber btw, doesn't mean i have to be happy with a lackluster product. Demand better.
I almost feel as though even FM5 was more complete at launch than 8 is, unless I’m remembering through rose-tinted glasses. It was certainly much more polished and stable than 8 currently is. I don’t care what anyone says, FM5 was quite a good game.

Outlier

Works like a charm. Have close to $20M now.

So... I just earned 10+ Million. Thank you.

I redownloaded the game to see if my crashing issue would fix and of course my game still crashes when completing SINGLE PLAYER (career) races, but some how is stable with multiplayer races... HUH!?

This game does NOT like something with my PC, but anyway.

If MS Turn 10 are going to screw me out off $100 worth of expectations, then I'm going to SCREW THEM out of my obligated grind for goods.

I managed to control the glitch for 15 minutes, by holding the accelerator and turning the tyres towards the track. Eventually all wheels stopped spinning.

EDIT: Just noticed... My driver level went from 14 to 501... all in one session. Lol This game is a something special.

Last edited:

CeeJay

It's literally designed as the opposite of that at every step. Probably because Forza Horizon fills that role nowadays.
This iteration is but FM historically hasn't been like that.

Like i've said previously, I love the new Forza because I spend all my time in the multiplayer but from MidGenRefresh wants it has shifted significantly. Sure FH does all those things but that's way more of a casual game too which I play but strangely hate the multiplayer and just like to explore and take photos.

If you want to collect cars then the new FM is worse because cars are not given out like candy anymore and you have to really think about the cars that you want to spend your hard earned credits on.

If you want a single player campaign then the new FM is worse than even Forza 5 that was very barebones as it was anyway. You are very limited with the events that you can enter by two factors, one is that you don't have a lot of choices due to the majority of events being locked behind a few and you have to work through them to unlock the next. The other is around the first point, you need to buy a suitable car for every event which you may not have the credits to buy.

If you want freedom to modify and tune your cars then the new FM is worse than all previous FM games because you don't have access to the parts until you level up the car you want to put those parts on and each level it drip feeds you those parts. This is one aspect that I personally am not a fan of because I like to download other peoples tunes, I have a few favourite tuners and I tend to download theirs and apply them to my cars because they are better at it than I am and no matter how much I tinker I never get them as nice. The problem is that all those tunes are locked until you level up the car enough to unlock all the parts that the tune uses. This arbitrary requirement to fully level a car before you can have the freedom to apply any community made tunes you want is going to really hurt the people who love to share their tunes and is a really stupid and clumsy game design choice for people who want to create their own tunes. I've been playing a couple of days now and my highest level car is about 35 (max is 50). By that metric it's going to take me another play session to get it to max. Another knock on effect of this system is that the new community made tunes appearing on the database are generally not going to be making use of all the available parts meaning that the quality of available tunes is going to be worse than previous games. There is no way to tell what level the car was at for the tunes you are looking at on the database and all you get is a padlock icon to say you can't have it! For me personally this whole system is more of an annoyance than anything else and i'll just slap a hodge podge of parts together to get it to the required rating for the class until it's fully levelled and I can then download my favourite tunes. Due to this system though I will probably favour the fixed spec races so I know that everyone is in a similar car and i'm not going to be hampered by driving a car that isn't level 50 and decently tuned compared to the rest.

All that been said, I do still really think that this is my favourite Forza yet with the penalty system and the tyre and fuel choices being a breath of fresh air. The tyre wear model is really REALLY good for a console game and you can really feel the grip fading along with the lap times until you pit and get fresh rubber. This means that anything over about 4 or 5 laps is going to require a fuel and tyre strategy. Do you go with the hard tyre and fuel for the full race, do you go with a soft first and a tiny amount of fuel and pit early, do you go medium tyre first and then switch to a soft in the last couple of laps or do you pit mid way through and stick to a medium tyre throughout, the options are vast. The tyre and fuel model is so well implemented and I think they really nailed it straight off the bat. I have had quite a few races where the pit strategy has made a huge difference to my overall position. One race (7 laps) I didn't have a qualifying time (due to joining just before race start) so I decided i was going to pit early (lap 3) and fuelled very light with soft tyres. This meant i could push through the field hard at the start when the pack was bunched up and did my early pit stop. When I emerged from the pit stop I had quite a lot of clear space in front to push into on a medium tyre. When the rest of the drivers pitted towards the end of the race I made up loads of positions without having to overtake on the track and finished within the top 10. It wasn't the podium finish that was always the be all end all aim in previous FM games but, it was a really nicely executed pit strategy that came off perfectly and the satisfaction of getting that right felt amazing. I rarely win online races as i'm not good enough to put down blistering lap times so spend most of my races in the middle of the pack, in previous FM games there would be some prick who would intentionally put you off the track and I would end up in the bottom half of the table at the end of the race and the entire pack would be really spread out with the leaders lapping the back markers every race. With the new penalty system however that has reduced significantly and there is a lot more wheel to wheel racing with a proper tight chasing pack than ever before in a Forza game. Even at the end of the race there is a tight pack more often than not and rarely so far have I seen anyone intentionally putting people out of the race. Cheating by cutting corners is now gone as well and the races now feel like real life races where the drivers are properly staying within the track an avoiding collisions where possible. There are many issues with the game but I am more than happy to overlook those issues because the good stuff that is there is very very good!

Man, gamers are a tough crowd these days :messenger_tears_of_joy: I’m not really a sim racer, more Forza Horizon than Motorsport, but I had a great time playing this last night. And it looks so pretty. Some real white knuckle racing.

I actually caught myself thinking ‘maybe I should invest in a wheel and cockpit thing’ for about ten seconds before I told myself not to go down that rabbit hole.

Looking forward to the weekend with this, but doubt I’ll be playing it long term. Announce Horizon 6.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

There are so many things that bother me with this game. Smaller and bigger things. I know I won't be wasting my time leveling the cars, the base content is lacking crucial things like events related to motorsport or key tracks from previous entries. On top of that it lacks polish, I've never had a console version of Forza crash on me or have frame drops in the main menu.

It's definitely going to be high on my list of biggest disappointments of the year. I really hope it will be getting good post launch support and that MS and T10 won't slow down with the support after the first few months. The game should've definitely been in production for at least another year to achieve a good polish and most of all have more content ready.

Last edited:

SimTourist

The mp is amazing. Everyone with the same car. No bullshit of upgrades. Like it was on GT Sport.
The only bullshit is those premium edition cars that are a good bit better than what a normal person can purchase. The Golf in the touring class is one example.

Just encountered my first major bug ,
This week featured race did the first 3 out of 5 races on lvl 6 difficulty good races with all the practices had a fun time , after the 3rd race went to performance upgrade and it got stuck at applying upgrade had to force close the game after 5 minutes of being stuck there
Came back and now saw I have done 0 races , absolutely ridiculous this should not be happening in a game released in 2023

nikos

So many reddit posts about the graphics being bad from people running potato PCs.

Seems people are having completely different experiences with this game.

Orbital2060

Just encountered my first major bug ,
This week featured race did the first 3 out of 5 races on lvl 6 difficulty good races with all the practices had a fun time , after the 3rd race went to performance upgrade and it got stuck at applying upgrade had to force close the game after 5 minutes of being stuck there
Came back and now saw I have done 0 races , absolutely ridiculous this should not be happening in a game released in 2023
Not cool

clarky

Gold Member
So many reddit posts about the graphics being bad from people running potato PCs.

I have a 13950HX and a mobile 4090. The game looks great in motion at the right time of day. And looks like shit at times as well. Its a valid complaint the game not looking that great after the prelease trailers.
3 days..

And to be fair this was posted 2 weeks ago

And it's been posted that Update 2.0 comes next month!

To be fair i had not seen that, clears a few things up. Thanks.

Although point stands game has been available to purchase and play for 8 days, don't fall for that bull shit. Even the dude in video states the car pass started on the 5th. So a bit of communication wouldn't go amiss as is the norm with GASS type games.

Last edited:

jayj

Banned
I almost feel as though even FM5 was more complete at launch than 8 is, unless I’m remembering through rose-tinted glasses. It was certainly much more polished and stable than 8 currently is. I don’t care what anyone says, FM5 was quite a good game.
FM5 feels like a masterpiece compared to this. I mean we need to remember how that was a Xbox One launch title, during a generation when it took Sony pretty much the entire generation to release a proper GT game. I mean there's a good reason why I was a big Forza fan last-gen, they were great back then. Sad to see how far they have fallen, GT really came back strong and there is no denying what the superior racing sim is these days.

jayj

Banned

I've been playing it on Series X and FM7 undeniably looks better running on the same hardware, in fact it even looks better running on my last-gen One X hardware.

Played this a bit more today on XSX. A little lost about what the complaints are, had a blast and I’m not really a sim racer. If GT7 is actually better than this I think I’ll get it next sale, because it must be spectacular (we’ll see).

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Someone posted a comparison of pc vs xbox and i saw some thing where i was scratching my head. The visual mode on Series X has sometimes more trees, grass and foliage than the pc version in his comparison. I just checked it myself and yes its not there. FFS Turn 10 you had one job.

Just look at the grass, trees and foliage, where the fuck is it in the pc version.
47.jpg

My own shot from the same location, same tod and same car.
Forza-Motorsport-14-10-2023-2-45-38.jpg

44.jpg

43.jpg

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
The mp is amazing. Everyone with the same car. No bullshit of upgrades. Like it was on GT Sport.
Tried one online race - Laguna Seca I believe - got to the first corner was rammed off the road by some cunt and never managed to finish higher than 9th. There were only 10 racers in the game!

So yeah great experience.

Senua

Gold Member
Someone posted a comparison of pc vs xbox and i saw some thing where i was scratching my head. The visual mode on Series X has sometimes more trees, grass and foliage than the pc version in his comparison. I just checked it myself and yes its not there. FFS Turn 10 you had one job.

Just look at the grass, trees and foliage, where the fuck is it in the pc version.
47.jpg

My own shot from the same location, same tod and same car.
Forza-Motorsport-14-10-2023-2-45-38.jpg

44.jpg

43.jpg
Wow.

Alex on DF really should've tested against quality mode on X, big oversight

This fucking game
..2nd time I went to featured weekly series and after 4th race it booted me to main menu of Xbox and now it shows 0 progress
Fuck this shit till they fix these stupid bugs
First time it got stuck in applying upgrade at 3rd race

xVodevil

Well fuck... I love having this on Steam
Even though I've had my share of weird issues as well, like crashing at the end of a career session and having to rerun the race and some weird ass problem when I have to relaunch 3 times or even restart PC 1-2 times to have the correct 90+ fps instead half of it for no reason.. the game is so much fun and probably gonna be my favorite go to game to just chill and listen to audiobooks or podcasts
Hope some hotfixes coming up soon, didn't really expect to enjoy it this much not even considering the launch issues

sinnergy

I now had 2 crashes in which I lost progress, and 1 is fucking Silverstone in rain 🤣 and I had a windscreen wiper bug, no wiper but I see the rain animations of the wiper 🤣 I do love the racing though.. I am a bit addicted .

Unexpectedly, this has got its hooks in me. I’ve never played FM for more than a few races before, and I’ve never played Gran Turismo at all (I do have hundreds of hours in Forza Horizon though).

I knew I was in trouble when I found myself on the Fanatec site this morning…

Haven’t hit any bugs but understand they would be annoying - the rest of the complaints? Not seeing them. Looks fantastic and the races really get the blood pumping. Not tried online yet, want to get a bit better first. Just reached level 20 in the Works Mini Cooper.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
I get crashes a lot if I suspend the game after a race and come back later and try to Quick Resume. Sometimes I only have time to do the practice, so I do it and then suspend the game. Luckily only once have I had to redo the practice, which I actually don’t mind. Hopefully this glitch gets patched out soon.

CeeJay

Tried one online race - Laguna Seca I believe - got to the first corner was rammed off the road by some cunt and never managed to finish higher than 9th. There were only 10 racers in the game!

So yeah great experience.
One whole online race? You do have to ask yourself though, did they intentionally ram you or did you cut across their racing line and put yourself in their way? I have no idea about what happened but the fact you only had one race tells me you may be a little inexperienced racing with other real people as opposed to ai. It is as much your job to avoid putting your car in the way of others as it is for them to avoid hitting you. If you go wide on a corner because you approached too fast getting understeer and then cut back in towards the inside of the curve as the car gains traction and someone t bones you then that's probably your fault. Laguna Seca first corner is a quick entry and quite a long corner with kind of a double apex where the situation above can easily happen. If you are coming in at the correct speed on the racing line and someone uses your car to get themselves around the corner at a faster speed then that sucks and you suffer for their intentional bad driving. It's all about the context. Just the fact that another car struck yours and put you off the track doesn't necessarily mean it was their fault.

Last edited:
Top Bottom