• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsports early previews

supernova8

Banned
You have to get the balance right, between fun and sim.
I always thought that the Project Gotham games on Xbox 360 and then Driveclub on PS4 were the best racing games (except Gran Turismo). I felt those games allowed casuals to think they were playing racing sims when they weren't.

Alas, their respective studios and IPs got canned so I guess they were not a commercial success and thus the masses didn't agree with me.

I'm guessing now the market will only accept well-known brands (like Gran Turismo and Forza) and then the ultra nerdy (but cool to watch on youtube) sim racers (mostly played on PC).

Last edited:

LokusAbriss

Driving is boring, like so much of real life is boring. This is no doubt why many of us look to gaming to escape the real world.
Damn, that sounds depressing. All about perspective. If you would show FM 2023 to yourself 20 years ago playing Mario Kart, you would blow your young mind. Or telling a guy from 100 years ago, that you are using cruise control at 200 kmh while enjoying a podcast playing from you smartphone streamed from the internet.

We don't appreciate the current state in technology of games and tech. And that it get's harder and harder to improve on. But maybe that is good, so the companies work harder to fullfill our needs and wishes.

Driving in a circle at a track sounds boring, but I love cars, racing and tuning. Can't wait for release.

Damn, that sounds depressing. All about perspective. If you would show FM 2023 to yourself 20 years ago playing Mario Kart, you would blow your young mind. Or telling a guy from 100 years ago, that you are using cruise control at 200 kmh while enjoying a podcast playing from you smartphone streamed from the internet.

We don't appreciate the current state in technology of games and tech. And that it get's harder and harder to improve on. But maybe that is good, so the companies work harder to fullfill our needs and wishes.

Driving in a circle at a track sounds boring, but I love cars, racing and tuning. Can't wait for release.

but we are not living in the past, we literally have competition that does the same thing. What makes people get so excited except that they are waiting for a new entry? By that logic even Roblox is a masterpiece compared to Alone in the Dark from the 90s.

I find cars getting ever more boring, more so with this insane move to net zero. And I live in rural South Wales Valley's driving on our roads is not fun at all and will be made far worse with the move to 20 MPH speed limit in all residential area's thanks to the tossers at the Welsh Senedd.

I like driving games, but I want far better AI in my racers

I always thought that the Project Gotham games on Xbox 360 and then Driveclub on PS4 were the best racing games (except Gran Turismo). I felt those games allowed casuals to think they were playing racing sims when they weren't.

Alas, their respective studios and IPs got canned so I guess they were not a commercial success and thus the masses didn't agree with me.

I'm guessing now the market will only accept well-known brands (like Gran Turismo and Forza) and then the ultra nerdy (but cool to watch on youtube) sim racers (mostly played on PC).
I think there is a balance because I can't think of a true Hardcore console racer that's sold millions and millions of copies, it never worked out for F355 or Richard Burns and even when Simbin looked to bring GTR to the 360 it fell flat.

In what world is driving not fun?
In South Wales with a 50 MPH speed limit on the motorway and a 20 MPH speed limit on the main roads.

All thanks to this tosser

Mark_drakeford.png

LostDonkey

I don't know if this has been posted but this tuber pulled the video and re uploaded due to issues with the colour.

My god that looks amazing. The lighting is a massive improvement over 7.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
I don't know if this has been posted but this tuber pulled the video and re uploaded due to issues with the colour.

My god that looks amazing. The lighting is a massive improvement over 7.

Yup most uploaders had bad HDR converted footage. Just look at Don Joewon Song footage which looks incredible compared to the flat footage of most youtubers. Also HokiHoshi captured that footage from a Series S in performance mode so its the worst the game will look which says alot.

Senua

Yup most uploaders had bad HDR converted footage. Just look at Don Joewon Song footage which looks incredible compared to the flat footage of most youtubers. Also HokiHoshi captured that footage from a Series S in performance mode so its the worst the game will look which says alot.

Even the footage on the official Forza channel had that problem which is bizzare

Really looking to play this game. Been hanging to see what Forzatech 2.0 is capable of. The fact that it can do RT in game at 60fps is ridiculous, and already sets it apart from every other game. What this game will look like on high end PCs is going to be nuts.

The one area where they were lacking a bit was their paint shaders. That's something PD has dialed in, and it would be good to see how they do with that in the final game.

Elysium44

Banned
At 17:35 you can see the replays. Still not as good as GT7, but a huge step up from previous Forza games. Motion blur definitely helps, and there are much better camera angles than before. Lots of glitches though, as it's still a preview build.

Based on that it looks a lot better. Good to see.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Am I the only one who thinks the cars would look better with number/licence plates. I get race cars with sponsorship decals etc but road cars would look better with them.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Am I the only one who thinks the cars would look better with number/licence plates. I get race cars with sponsorship decals etc but road cars would look better with them.
It's what the livery editors are for. People make great region templates as well.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm not sure on FM if it would let me paint where the plate goes. (been a while) not tried on GT7.
I rock customs on GT7. I would think you can do the same with Forza.

Definitely better than before, but wish they added depth of field.

Night replays are pretty ugly though. Headlights especially.
Little more shaky cam panning as well would add to the realism.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
Definitely better than before, but wish they added depth of field.

Night replays are pretty ugly though. Headlights especially.

Hopefully will be better for the full release. I'm just delighted they haven't copy and pasted the previous games' replay system.

hlm666

It doesn't matter if you own a Ferrari, when in Wales the speed limit is 20 MPH. You can go faster on a E scooter for Chirst sake
You probably have other track day options over there, but if I had the opportunity this would be a bucket list item done if I lived near you. Then it would be an annual trip, although if I owned a ferrari I might be able to swing it to biannually.

There's so many activities you could claim isn't fun because you can't do/use it in general public places.

You probably have other track day options over there, but if I had the opportunity this would be a bucket list item done if I lived near you. Then it would be an annual trip, although if I owned a ferrari I might be able to swing it to biannually.

There's so many activities you could claim isn't fun because you can't do/use it in general public places.
No mate. Wales road building programme has been stopped thanks to the tosser at the Senedd, it's no longer fun to drive, its not much better on Public transport thanks to Transport for Wales being years behind their electrification

Nice walks here in the Valley's mind and we'll never run out of Water, not all bad

hlm666

No mate. Wales road building programme has been stopped thanks to the tosser at the Senedd, it's no longer fun to drive, its not much better on Public transport thanks to Transport for Wales being years behind their electrification

Nice walks here in the Valley's mind and we'll never run out of Water, not all bad
I actually ment going to nurburg to drive a car legally at speed on the ring on a weekend when it's open to the public, I wasn't implying going on a road trip to nurburg breaking laws along the way on public roads. Although maybe you might be able to get on an autobahn and legally open it up then I guess.

I actually ment going to nurburg to drive a car legally at speed on the ring on a weekend when it's open to the public, I wasn't implying going on a road trip to nurburg breaking laws along the way on public roads. Although maybe you might be able to get on an autobahn and legally open it up then I guess.
I don't want to live or travel to Germany. Day to day driving is crap here in Wales (or at least in my part of the valleys) She drives now, I've turned my back on the car and just walk to work these days or use the crappy train.

I can't wait for the new Forza mind.

LostDonkey

Only one game ever captured that feel:

Everything else is just a soy experience

Such an under rated game. I remember playing on PS3 and being amazed at the Cars in front of you being reflected on the bonnet (hood) as you were racing around.

Im sure it was the only racing game on PS3 to achieve this, not even Gran Turismo 6 did if i recall.

Last edited:
Top Bottom