• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsports early previews

MadPanda

Banned
It's an interesting point, although I don't agree in terms of this game since I think it looks fantastic.

The point on resolution isn't lost though, if your watching a TV show or movie at 720p or 1080p, it looks "real" because it is. To that point, a game targeting 720 or 1080p could look more "real" regardless of resolution. I'd love to see what a developer could do targeting a lower resolution on purpose with this in mind.
It doesn't work like that for games. Just take a look at red dead redemption 2.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It doesn't work like that for games. Just take a look at red dead redemption 2.

That's because the nature of 3d rendering and the target aren't what they could be.
It might even require a whole new way of rendering. (And thinking)

LostDonkey

How about watching the tyre physics video which shows the huge improvement, or you know wait to play it yourself?
I will be trying it, I can't wait to. I've said before it's one of my most anticipated titles. I'm just a little disappointed and after spending 496 hours in GT7 so far I was hoping this was going to maybe offer something to pull me away from that. Going by a well respected opinion though it doesn't seem the case.

What game has full day night cycle ?
I remember back from gt 2 days I wanted that and this is probably the first game with full day night cycle . That shit and full damage to cars is worth buying this
I will very much miss the Dubai track from fm7 that was a great track

Erebus

Looking forward to this as GT7 is becoming a bit stale for me. Since I've only played the original Forza (on the original Xbox, iirc), how does it compare to the Gran Turismo physics and car handling? From the previews, I understand that it's a bit more arcadey compared to the GT series.

Von Hugh

I just don't understand why they make everything look so damn flat. Looks like there is no anisotropic filtering on at all or something, all the roads look like this text box, just same shade across everything no matter the distance or angle.

The cars look immensely uninteresting and lack depth outside and inside as well. Where's all the dirt on the windshield and bonnet? Where's the dust inside? Is this just a showcase for the car manufacturers? Everything is so clean and clinical.

Maybe my perception is ruined by the crappy YouTube quality video, but still. The clouds might as well be from a PS1 game, and the vegetation from a PS2 game. Why even bother with raytracing at that point. Maybe the LOD just sucks.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
This is not Forza 7 PC release. PC release ultra graphics smokes this. yet I do not know what is the FM has been played at. is it PC or XSX ?

Edit: just to be clear, yes there is visual improvement. big one too. especially the environment. but the car details in this video is laughable. it can't be PC release on ultra.

Both games in this video are running on Series X hardware. Also worth noting that car models in Forza 7 on Xbox One X looked virtually on par with high end PC, according to Digital Foundry. .

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
What's that about full damage. Like bumpers falling off, or just some scratches,dents and broken lights like always?

I will be trying it, I can't wait to. I've said before it's one of my most anticipated titles. I'm just a little disappointed and after spending 496 hours in GT7 so far I was hoping this was going to maybe offer something to pull me away from that. Going by a well respected opinion though it doesn't seem the case.
OK both GT and Forza are not hard-core sim racers right? We all know this but yet you're expecting that kind of realism? All I know is T10 have been working on this for a long time and unless they've decided in those 5 years that the physics in Forza 7 was good enough it's impossible for them to play exactly the same, just look at it from a common sense perspective and what that individual said doesn't make sense.

Zuzu

Think there was a dev video of them stating such.

I also was being totally serious and not sarcastic at all.

Ok, hopefully they come through with the fixes for those who will be playing it

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
pkSL1xM.jpg

I’m ready!

LokusAbriss

A lot of people have strange expectations for a new FM title. Let's face it, FM won't have the refined physics and ffb from Assetto Corsa, neither will it have the structured online racing from Gran Turismo or iRacing. What they always offered, and what made me jump from GT to FM (GT4->FM2) back in the day, was the complete package you have got. An acceptable physic-simulation, a long car list, upgrades and online mp. GT7 is more fined, but to this day, it is a grind to get certain cars and upgrades. And while AC and other PC sims offer spectacular physics, you mostly can't just upgrade and customize the cars. Plus, the car lists offer way less and sometimes just racing cars.

As a long time Forza Motorsport fan, I am disapointed in some way with every release, but I also receive a time consuming package everytime too. Turn 10 always left a feature out for some strange reason, made strange decisions about the structure of mp or sometimes straight failed to cater to their most loyal fans. This is just the reality.

I am still looking forward to it. Let's see. The current reviews are a bit lackluster, to say the least.

You can't see physics improvements, the only way to judge is by playing for yourself, particularly with a wheel because of the feedback and granularity.
Watch the video, what nonsense are you talking now? Why even show a video if you can't see it? 🤣 T10 what are you doing? 😂

LostDonkey

OK both GT and Forza are not hard-core sim racers right? We all know this but yet you're expecting that kind of realism? All I know is T10 have been working on this for a long time and unless they've decided in those 5 years that the physics in Forza 7 was good enough it's impossible for them to play exactly the same, just look at it from a common sense perspective and what that individual said doesn't make sense.
GT7 isn't a hardcore SIM racer?

Ok I'll be sure to tell the people who have made careers and transferred their skills to real racing from playing GT7 and GT sport for that matter. The GT7 competitions are hardcore enough that you can win major earnings and get picked up by real race teams. How much more hardcore does it have to be?

Last edited:

Musilla

Do we know if they improved replays yet from previous games? GT7 is the gold standard for having real TV-like replays, Forza's have always been more floaty and switches to the interior / bumper view too much for my liking.
It doesn't look good, T10 has banned the replays from being shown, claiming that right now they have graphical problems with them, this user says that they are a complete disaster, worse than Forza 2 on Xbox 360. It also talks about very bad artificial intelligence, it is usually a quite critical user.

The video is in spanish

GHG

It doesn't look good, T10 has banned the replays from being shown, claiming that right now they have graphical problems with them, this user says that they are a complete disaster, worse than Forza 2 on Xbox 360. It also talks about very bad artificial intelligence, it is usually a quite critical user.

The video is in spanish

Now I'm starting to see why they didn't give gamermuscle a code.

He would have cooked them.

Elysium44

Banned
What website is that?

It uses data from Microsoft. Worth noting it doesn't include hours for 360 games because Microsoft doesn't keep track of those. eg. I have also played those versions of FM a lot, especially FM4.

edit - here's my 360 ones FWIW.

vQqLFlB.jpg

Last edited:
I used to love the Forza Motorsport games back in the Xbox/Xbox 360 days where I thought it was a stronger and better racing game than Sony's overrated Gran Turismo with its clunky menus, boring licence tests and bland AI. Of course, Gran Turismo has come a long way since then and is a much better game these days since Gran Turismo Sport on PS4 anyway but I still prefer the career mode of Turn 10's games over the weird one in Gran Turismo 7 on PS5.

That said, I'm not that excited to play Forza Motorsport. I'm sure it will be a great racing game based on previous games and I will buy it, if not at launch then certainly at some point, but the problem for me is that this new game doesn't look that much of an advance over Forza Motorsport 7, which I played to death on PC. That game was good but suffered from a lack of tracks which meant I felt like I was replaying the same tracks and over and over again as I worked through the different events. I have heard that this new game only has 20 tracks, which doesn't sound a lot even with variations. And since Forza Horizon, I feel Motorsport is just the less enjoyable and less fun experience.

I am also not that blown away by the visuals. They look good enough, of course, but every racing game has good graphics these days (that isn't on Switch!) so it is harder to be impressed. We no longer see the kind of visual leaps we used to get between hardware generations. Now it is more incremental and less obvious outside of close scrutiny in the photo mode and YouTube comparison videos zoomed in 2X-4X!

Last edited:
Some gifs from RT performance mode with RT reflections and SSGI.
65R7eaW.gif

k6PMv9t.gif

6DYPeQJ.gif

Can't wait to see the pc version maxed, this gonna look amazing.

Forza Horizon 5 on PC with ray-tracing enabled looks miles better than it does on my Xbox Series X so, yes, I would only want to play Forza Motorsport on PC for that reason. Great visuals can really add to the immersion in a racing game, especially as I usually prefer the cockpit view for rally and sim racers like this.

Rivdoric

Neo Member
Between The Crew Motorfest Game-as-a-service-limited-time-events and now Forza Motorsport Game-as-a-service-limited-time-events as well as the continuation of Forza Horizon 5 Game-as-a-service-limited-time-events this is starting to be a real chore to keep loving racing games when you're a completionist.
Feels like going to work.

calistan

GT7 isn't a hardcore SIM racer?

Ok I'll be sure to tell the people who have made careers and transferred their skills to real racing from playing GT7 and GT sport for that matter. The GT7 competitions are hardcore enough that you can win major earnings and get picked up by real race teams. How much more hardcore does it have to be?
Isn't that the plot of a movie?

I swear people bitching about this don't have an Xbox or a pc
Its on gamepass which atleast I have for atleast 2 years , even if u don't it's 15 dollars a month instead of 70 so fuck the haters I'm in day 1 with premium edition

GHG

Between The Crew Motorfest Game-as-a-service-limited-time-events and now Forza Motorsport Game-as-a-service-limited-time-events as well as the continuation of Forza Horizon 5 Game-as-a-service-limited-time-events this is starting to be a real chore to keep loving racing games when you're a completionist.
Feels like going to work.

I absolutely hate this element of modern racing games whereby content is artificially locked away for "weekly challenges" and that kind of crap. It's a hamster wheel.

If Assetto Corsa 2 has anything like that then everyone will riot.

Top Bottom