• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsports early previews

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Series S and Series X specs and visual features via DF.

lAlWiSY.jpg
hEF3kU1.jpg

"We're going back to the Forza Motorsport 3 and 4 era, you know?" Dan Greenawalt told me during an exclusive 30-minute interview. "Like the [Xbox] 360 era of falling in love with that car, upgrading that car... But with a modern design of connecting communities and bringing people together."

"How does Forza Motorsport (2023) feel to play? Well, it feels incredible. This is the most refined, responsive, and consistent handling I have ever experienced in a racing game"

Couple of written previews

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Haven’t had time to watch the videos, just focused on the written ones. All quite positive indeed.

Turn 10 seems to have spent the time on improvements to the driving, drivatars, progression system and multiplayer. They also seem confident they’ve strengthened the pipeline to push content updates out at a decent clip.

I’ll confess I’m more Horizon than Motorsport, but all of this sounds really good!

LostDonkey

In reply to those who questioned my disappointment at a 30fps option before the other thread was closed. No I did not expect miracles, or the series X to be able to perform full RT at a locked 4K 60fps. I know what the box is capable of.

My point is somewhere along the development path, 30FPS was made a consideration, which means the team's usual laser focus on 60fps was compromised.

The physics for one will have been compromised to allow that 30fps option, the usual base line of 60fps uncompromising is now not there and all systems now have to be built around this base 30fps option. I believe this will have effected the games feel rather than it have been a non moveable 60fps like previous Forza games recently.

I guess more previews from proper SIM racers like Super GT will be more of a telling story

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I was looking forward to this. It looks great but the cars seem a little detached or something when he's nudging left/right - like it's not directly on the road? Is it just me?

Senua

Physics improvements seem great. Graphics range from awesome to decent depending on time of day it seems but ofc this is just Xbox footage. The whole parts being unlocked as you level up the car shit is so lame though and goes against the freedom aspect they were pushing with "builders cup" single player

From what I've heard, it sounds like the visuals is really inconsistent. Some looks great. Some are the old models from previous forza games.
I also heard you need to grind each car to upgrade it, aka you can only upgrade the car you drive. And that each car will take hours and hours to fully upgrade.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
In reply to those who questioned my disappointment at a 30fps option before the other thread was closed. No I did not expect miracles, or the series X to be able to perform full RT at a locked 4K 60fps. I know what the box is capable of.

My point is somewhere along the development path, 30FPS was made a consideration, which means the team's usual laser focus on 60fps was compromised.

The physics for one will have been compromised to allow that 30fps option, the usual base line of 60fps uncompromising is now not there and all systems now have to be built around this base 30fps option. I believe this will have effected the games feel rather than it have been a non moveable 60fps like previous Forza games recently.

I guess more previews from proper SIM racers like Super GT will be more of a telling story

seems very clear that 60fps is the baseline. It’s locked 60fps on even the Series S and Turn 10 take pride in churning out their games with rock solid performance.

Turn 10 has also stated multiple times that the Physics in the game runs at a 360 hz refresh rate.

Having a 30fps visuals mode doesn’t mean they’d compromise on the two performance modes. That’s not really how this works.

Riky

$MSFT
"We're going back to the Forza Motorsport 3 and 4 era, you know?" Dan Greenawalt told me during an exclusive 30-minute interview. "Like the [Xbox] 360 era of falling in love with that car, upgrading that car... But with a modern design of connecting communities and bringing people together."

"How does Forza Motorsport (2023) feel to play? Well, it feels incredible. This is the most refined, responsive, and consistent handling I have ever experienced in a racing game"

LostDonkey

seems very clear that 60fps is the baseline. It’s locked 60fps on even the Series S and Turn 10 take pride in churning out their games with rock solid performance.

Turn 10 has also stated multiple times that the Physics in the game runs at a 360 hz refresh rate.

Having a 30fps visuals mode doesn’t mean they’d compromise on the two performance modes. That’s not really how this works.

I'll wait for more thorough SIM racers thoughts. I hope you're right, although all the wheel footage I've watched so far seems like there is definitely a lag between the user and what is happening on screen.

Senua

"We're going back to the Forza Motorsport 3 and 4 era, you know?" Dan Greenawalt told me during an exclusive 30-minute interview. "Like the [Xbox] 360 era of falling in love with that car, upgrading that car... [/URL]
Yea, but this time it's worse! You can't just install a diff right away if you want some adjustment, you have to race the car a bunch with wank handling to unlock it, just very weird. They always add these limitations, first homologation now this shite. Maybe I won't hate it but it sounds shite to me

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I also heard you need to grind each car to upgrade it, aka you can only upgrade the car you drive. And that each car will take hours and hours to fully upgrade.
Yea, but this time it's worse! You can't just install a diff right away if you want some adjustment, you have to race the car a bunch with wank handling to unlock it, just very weird. They always add these limitations, first homologation now this shite. Maybe I won't hate it but it sounds shite to me
90 Day Fiance Ew GIF by TLC Europe

Three

I'm more wondering how they can justify a 30fps mode when they apparently limit PC framerate to 60fps in the name of fairness. Would that mean 30fps mode doesn't work online? Wasn't it also because their Forza engine is bugged and higher framerate players post faster times. Who would use the 30fps mode in that case?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm more wondering how they can justify a 30fps mode when they apparently limit PC framerate to 60fps in the name of fairness. Would that mean 30fps mode doesn't work online? Wasn't it also because their Forza engine is bugged and higher framerate players post faster times. Who would use the 30fps mode in that case?
Screenshot mode ;)

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
graphics whores who can't afford a high end pc and people that like to see some nice graphics. Still doesn't justify there multiplayer fps lock tho.

I imagine it's only campaign.

LostDonkey

Thanking, someone at least knows what I mean 😂

I was going to mention the online factor. Are they going to separate lobbies for thos who wish to play at 30fps Vs 60FPS because we know from years of experience that faster lap times are achieved with faster frame rate.

This has opened a whole can of worms for me now.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Looks a bit washed no? Hope you can manually turn lights on/off because certain tracks had tunnels where you couldnt see shit in previous games.

Ozriel

M$FT
Thanking, someone at least knows what I mean 😂

I was going to mention the online factor. Are they going to separate lobbies for thos who wish to play at 30fps Vs 60FPS because we know from years of experience that faster lap times are achieved with faster frame rate.

This has opened a whole can of worms for me now.

He’s saying something completely different from what you said, and it’s unlikely you’d be able to take the 30fps mode into multiplayer anyway.

Elysium44

Banned
Do we know if they improved replays yet from previous games? GT7 is the gold standard for having real TV-like replays, Forza's have always been more floaty and switches to the interior / bumper view too much for my liking.

Mr Moose

I'll wait for release to see how good it looks, but so far it's looking pretty good judging from the Honda video. Hopefully they can sort out the shadow pop-in.
Edit: What is X to rewind?

The three modes, looks like 60fps with Ray Tracing for me.

I think Series consoles are going to be more than happy, 4k 60fps with RT reflections in game, other games couldn't manage that in replay modes.
It's good they let people with powerful PCs use the hardware they invested in fully.
Everybody wins.
12.15 tflops I think is the correct figure. Translates to 4k 60fps with on track RT in Forza Motorsport.
ricky-boyz-n-the-hood.gif

Last edited:
From what I've heard, it sounds like the visuals is really inconsistent. Some looks great. Some are the old models from previous forza games.
Do they mean that it is expensive or that it is locked by a leveling system on every individual car? If it is the latter... that is insane!

P.S. It is the latter, hype deflated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom