• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsports early previews

GT7 isn't a hardcore SIM racer?

Ok I'll be sure to tell the people who have made careers and transferred their skills to real racing from playing GT7 and GT sport for that matter. The GT7 competitions are hardcore enough that you can win major earnings and get picked up by real race teams. How much more hardcore does it have to be?
It's no Iracing or Assetto for that matter.

Broke down and pre-ordered the Premium Edition. The previews seem decent enough for me and I'm not playing any other racing sims at the moment.

Not sure I'm going to love that progression system. Seems like another one of T10's silly implementations, just like Homologation basically ruined FM7 for me. Hopefully, the framework of the game has been built such that they can modify it based on player feedback.

One thing I haven't heard about is timeboxed content, which worries me. I skipped FH5 because I got so sick of FH4's timeboxed cars. I really hope we're not going to see that nonsense in this iteration of Motorsport.

It doesn't look good, T10 has banned the replays from being shown, claiming that right now they have graphical problems with them, this user says that they are a complete disaster, worse than Forza 2 on Xbox 360. It also talks about very bad artificial intelligence, it is usually a quite critical user.

The video is in spanish

It is normal that they prohibit showing the replays, there are too many graphic errors, they say that everything will be solved for launch, we will see.

F505UmGXgAEMq8l

F505UmIWMAAMsUC

Elysium44

Banned
Hold up, your complaining about a feature not coming to a console you dont own, that was not promised in the first place?

Eagerly awaiting the next feature missing from a console you dont own to piss you off.

Fuck off mate. lmfao.

I own a Series S FWIW, do you want me to take a picture of it?

amigastar

It won't beat GTR 2 (but what does, right?)
but it could be fun, i won't play it with a steering wheel though, but with a controller.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm hoping there's a chance of a 1440p option at 60 with RT.

There's already a Performance RT option, no ? The description says it has variable resolution, so it may be both north and south of 1440p depending on load.

F5wptz_WQAAOA6b

Last edited:

CeeJay

Can't wait for the new FM! It's pretty easy to burn yourself out on Forza (especially last gen) but i'm ready or this one. I completely skipped FM7 and only played a little FH4 and FH5.

Does anyone know if you gain the same progress on the cars in multiplayer or is it just in career? I much prefer to race against real people than AI

Darsxx82

It doesn't look good, T10 has banned the replays from being shown, claiming that right now they have graphical problems with them, this user says that they are a complete disaster, worse than Forza 2 on Xbox 360. It also talks about very bad artificial intelligence, it is usually a quite critical user.

The video is in spanish

He prior says that T10 has told him there are improvements to the AI for the final game.

Regarding the preview build, as you say, it is quite critical as it generally is for all games. In fact, his final sentence is:

"Even so, the AI that we have tested in this FM build is not as bad as the GT7 AI..... although that is not the best mirror that anyone should look at..."

This way people can get an idea of their critical level in terms of rivals' AI.

Then, I worried about the situation of the replays. Seeing some comments from previews, gameplay scenes and camera cuts, it would seem that a step would had been taken. They have technical space to offer replays that are worth seeing since these could be at 30fps and 4K DRS and loaded with effects and television shots.
Nobody expects excellence from PD replays for their GTs, but it is time for T10 to get serious in that aspect because it is one of the aspects that most attracts the attention of casual people, it highlights the work in graphics and visuals and is an incentive for the player himself.

We will have to wait until the final game to know this aspect unfortunately...

Three

Does everything have to either be a conspiracy or shady?
That tweet certainly didn’t promise RT during gameplay on the Series S, and I’m skeptical you truly expected RT at 60fps on your 4TF box.

Still baffled how it’s a ‘shady sales tactic’ when they reveal the visual and performance modes well before release, and with ample time to cancel preorders.
Got to love darkmage liking your post gaslighting the guy for expecting raytracing on his 4tf box because of that PR tweet when he was liking posts like this in the past.

Use the PR when it's posted to claim something positive for Series S then pretend it's the people who were convinced that are idiots when it's not true. Perfect.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

There's already a Performance RT option, no ? The description says it has variable resolution, so it may be both north and south of 1440p depending on load.

F5wptz_WQAAOA6b

Yeah. I play my series X on a 1440p monitor so I'm hoping it will know that and not try and shoot for 4k?

Three

Even if I untick the allow 4K in the system settings?
Hmm not sure about that setting but the games that have a specific mode even if it is variable resolution usually render at the resolution cap (4k here) and downscale regardless of native screen res.

Ozriel

M$FT
Now I'm starting to see why they didn't give gamermuscle a code.

He would have cooked them.

If the replays weren’t ready in that build and Turn 10 asked not to show or discuss them in that state, he most certainly wouldn’t have said anything.

Got to love darkmage liking your post gaslighting the guy for expecting raytracing on his 4tf box because of that PR tweet when he was liking posts like this in the past.

Use the PR when it's posted to claim something positive for Series S then pretend it's the people who were convinced that are idiots when it's not true. Perfect.

Raytracing is present on Series S, but not on track. The post you cite does not say RT on track. Neither does the tweet in question.

I certainly don’t believe YOU thought it’d be 60fps with RT on Series S.

Three

Raytracing is present on Series S, but not on track. The post you cite does not say RT on track. Neither does the tweet in question.

I certainly don’t believe YOU thought it’d be 60fps with RT on Series S.
I mean that's a great out and all but it's only clear in hindsight. I knew it wouldn't be but the likes of Riky and co were convincing others it would based on that tweet as confirmation. Not even the 30fps mode has raytracing on the Series S by the way.

Last edited:

Zuzu

SuperGT’s impressions of the game using a wheel. It’s good (once he had his settings dialled in) but doesn’t seem to be anything ground breaking.

Looking forward to this as GT7 is becoming a bit stale for me. Since I've only played the original Forza (on the original Xbox, iirc), how does it compare to the Gran Turismo physics and car handling? From the previews, I understand that it's a bit more arcadey compared to the GT series.
From the spectrum of pure arcade to pure sim, both GT and Forza are n the middle, tilted more toward the simulation aspect. But neither is pure sim. I think it’s fairly easy to go back and forth between games like this.
GT7 isn't a hardcore SIM racer?

Ok I'll be sure to tell the people who have made careers and transferred their skills to real racing from playing GT7 and GT sport for that matter. The GT7 competitions are hardcore enough that you can win major earnings and get picked up by real race teams. How much more hardcore does it have to be?
Neither GT7 or Forza Motorsport are hardcore sim racers. You’re foolish for thinking so. They are both tilted toward simulation style, firmly more sim than not, but very far from hardcore sim racers. GT doesn’t even simulate tyre pressure, neither let’s you drive your cars into/out of pit lane, Forza doesn’t even have manual starts (need to let the count down timer finish), you can money shift on GT and rev you engine to the moon with no damage, etc. None of this is hardcore simulation.

Neither GT7 or Forza Motorsport are hardcore sim racers. You’re foolish for thinking so. They are both tilted toward simulation style, firmly more sim than not, but very far from hardcore sim racers. GT doesn’t even simulate tyre pressure, neither let’s you drive your cars into/out of pit lane, Forza doesn’t even have manual starts (need to let the count down timer finish), you can money shift on GT and rev you engine to the moon with no damage, etc. None of this is hardcore simulation.
If you do a hardcore sim you don't see sales as Richard Burns Rally and F355 found out. Like with many racers, there's a balance, because driving in real life is ultimately boring.

I like to see big improvements to AI mind, because its one era Codemasters is so far ahead of the crap AI see in GT and Forza games

Last edited:

LokusAbriss

If you do a hardcore sim you don't see sales as Richard Burns Rally and F355 found out. Like with many racers, there's a balance, because driving in real life is ultimately boring.
Not if done right. Even a boring car and some twisty country roads will result in some fun.

A driving simulator should not be hard and unforgiving. Driving is neither hard, nore especially difficult, even on a track. The thing that changes with more grip, more power, trying to get a faster lap time or playing with higher corner speeds, is the margin for error. This should increase proportionally and not be a hindrance while using normal driving techniques.

Most road cars feel understeery and floaty on track. This is exactly what we see in most previews. You can see that good in Super GT's video. Even losing complete control of the Mustang sometimes. As in real life, when you brought the car over a thertain limit, it becomes very difficult to safely get it back again.

Not if done right. Even a boring car and some twisty country roads will result in some fun.

A driving simulator should not be hard and unforgiving. Driving is neither hard, nore especially difficult, even on a track. The thing that changes with more grip, more power, trying to get a faster lap time or playing with higher corner speeds, is the margin for error. This should increase proportionally and not be a hindrance while using normal driving techniques.

Most road cars feel understeery and floaty on track. This is exactly what we see in most previews. You can see that good in Super GT's video. Even losing complete control of the Mustang sometimes. As in real life, when you brought the car over a thertain limit, it becomes very difficult to safely get it back again.
Driving is boring, like so much of real life is boring. This is no doubt why many of us look to gaming to escape the real world.

You have to get the balance right, between fun and sim. I remember the outcry with F355 because it only offered one view, In real life can you drive your car from the outside?
I remember some slagging off Richard Burns because they just couldn't handle it. If you try and make a real hardcore sime the causal will reject it

I like to see real improvements with AI myself. This is an area Codemasters Gride Legends gets so right and is far ahead of the AI seen in GT7 or Forza 7

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Driving is boring, like so much of real life is boring. This is no doubt why many of us look to gaming to escape the real world.

You have to get the balance right, between fun and sim. I remember the outcry with F355 because it only offered one view, In real life can you drive your car from the outside?
I remember some slagging off Richard Burns because they just couldn't handle it. If you try and make a real hardcore sime the causal will reject it

I like to see real improvements with AI myself. This is an area Codemasters Gride Legends gets so right and is far ahead of the AI seen in GT7 or Forza 7

In what world is driving not fun?

Top Bottom